Chacranajxy's Guide to Importing (Updated 2/6/07 at 21:05)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='62t']Um there is nothing eww about importing european games. The simple 2000 games from 505 Game Street all have NTSC selector and works great on my NTSC TV. I prefer them to the Japanese version because they are in english.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just like to give people a hard time about anything that I possibly can. I have some European games.

And yes, like you said, some European games do have an NTSC option (also called a 60Hz option IIRC.) I know for a fact that Shenmue II on the DC had it, for example.

Nice thread, good gathering of info here. I think you should expand on your modding info a bit for the PS2 though. While a mod chip is the hardest to install, it's also the best way to go for importing IMO, and the cost is well worth it if you know a good modder.

I'm headed to Japan in June and I'm trying to find out what import games I should pick up for my PS2. So far Melty Blood is the only one that really jumps out at me to pickup. Any suggestions on import friendly shmups to pickup?

[quote name='BigBen']Nice thread, good gathering of info here. I think you should expand on your modding info a bit for the PS2 though. While a mod chip is the hardest to install, it's also the best way to go for importing IMO, and the cost is well worth it if you know a good modder.

I'm headed to Japan in June and I'm trying to find out what import games I should pick up for my PS2. So far Melty Blood is the only one that really jumps out at me to pickup. Any suggestions on import friendly shmups to pickup?[/QUOTE]

I'm skirting the mod chip issue since it can be used for piracy. I don't want to cause problems for Cheapy... as for imports to get, King of Fighters XI. Definitely the best fighting game to come out last year.

And shmups = import friendly by default. My favorite shmup ever is Mushihime-Sama and it has a budget priced release.

Aaaand on a side note: My copy of DJ Max Portable and Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection got here today. West Side.

the topic of piracy can always be avoided by just straight up not mentioning it.

when joystiq did an article on the new PSP custom firmware, they mentioned piracy 3 times.

but why?? it made me quite vexed.

It's just so unnecessary.

looking to get star soldier for psp. anyone play it? how import friendly? any other shooters to recommend over star soldier? psp seems like a system made for a good shooter, but i don't know of any good ones.

[quote name='Z-Saber']HDLoader is infinitely better than swapping and buying expensive foreign PS2 units.[/QUOTE]
but you can't play NeoGeo Battle Coliseum

[quote name='xplode427']looking to get star soldier for psp. anyone play it? how import friendly? any other shooters to recommend over star soldier? psp seems like a system made for a good shooter, but i don't know of any good ones.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, Star Soldier is pretty mediocre. Though as far as being import friendly... I can't think of a single shooter that's not import friendly.

By the way guys, BUY FIST OF THE NORTH STAR NOW!!

[quote name='yukine']Make me, fool! So why? Is it very import friendly?[/QUOTE]

FOTNS? Yeah, it's extremely import friendly. More importantly, it's extremely good. If you like Guilty Gear, this is a necessary purchase.

[quote name='Chacrana']FOTNS? Yeah, it's extremely import friendly. More importantly, it's extremely good. If you like Guilty Gear, this is a necessary purchase.[/quote]

Heck yeah, I love Guilty Gear.

More importantly if you're a fan of the manga and anime, then you HAVE you buy it. It's the first good FOTNS game.

I want to get a slim PS2 myself and just mod the thing since I'm sick of swap discs. It's not like I don't have enough imports at this point to justify it... Still, I don't trust my soldering skills so it'd be expensive to get a modded system.

[quote name='62t']but you can't play NeoGeo Battle Coliseum[/quote]The only disadvantage would be the games that don't work. And then, all you have to do is use Swap Magic. Saved a couple hundred there.

[quote name='Chacrana']I want to get a slim PS2 myself and just mod the thing since I'm sick of swap discs[/QUOTE]

Same here. It also doesn't help that my fat PS2 doesn't play blue-bottom discs.

I have a slim PS2 that I got out of a CAG trade. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to pay someone $70 to mod it.

I'd like to mod a ps2 as well, but right now my focus is on fixing and softmoding an xbox. Once I get that fixed up and running xbmc, I might look into ps2 modding.

[quote name='62t']but you can't play NeoGeo Battle Coliseum[/quote]

It depends. I was reading up on compatibility issues and I can make it work around 70% of the time on my setup with only a minor bit of mashing the Select button at a particular point, if I recall. It isn't highly reliable but it's better than not being playable at all.

That being said, it's much preferable that you load a title up and not have to worry about freezing or blank screens because of compatibility issues but sometimes you take the good with the bad.

Holy shit I'm happy. You see, Ibara is out of print. You can't even find a listing on ebay. Used or new. Well, I found out that toysnjoys.com had the game (though they neglected to say if it was in stock or not) and I reluctantly ordered from their shady store. I got a package from them today and it was Ibara... new, factory sealed, Japanese version. I shat myself 14 times. I'm so fucking happy I managed to get this since nowhere else had the game.

Point is, if you want this game, it's impossible to get elsewhere... so go order it while they still have it.

I'm thinking of starting importing, I've made a slide card (And I tested it, and works at moving that white peg-thing), but I don't know if I need to get Swap Magic, because I've already got an old Gameshark (Not sure what version), is there anyway to check if it will work?

You need swapmagic. I had a Gameshark too (most useless piece of shit ever btw) and as far as I know, it only lets you play bootlegs... not legit imports.

Side note: I got psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final today. w000t000.

[quote name='Chacrana']You need swapmagic. I had a Gameshark too (most useless piece of shit ever btw) and as far as I know, it only lets you play bootlegs... not legit imports.

Side note: I got psyvariar 2 Ultimate Final today. w000t000.[/QUOTE]

enjoy ur grazing!

I'd also like to say toysnjoys sucks-- still waiting for a $70 refund on Ibara. they've sent me two backorder notices, even after I supposedly cancelled it-- once online with a letter to the billing company, then another when I talked with some guy (who sounded like he had never done this before.)

[quote name='Chacrana']Man, that is fucking ridiculous... hence why this guide does not recommend them. Have you called the credit card company?[/QUOTE]

not yet. sent an angry letter to their billing address and I'm gonna call tonight about it. if nothing happens, then I'm calling the company.

[quote name='Chacrana']You need swapmagic. I had a Gameshark too (most useless piece of shit ever btw) and as far as I know, it only lets you play bootlegs... not legit imports.
[/quote] Ugh. This sucks. Guess my TL is going on ebay.:D

Edit:
Is this a good deal/reliable site?
I prefer a flip top than a slide card, seems like less hassle.

If it makes you feel better, Ibara never really appealed to me as much as either DDP : DOJ, ESPgaluda or Mushihimesama. Some of the bullets are purple, some are blue and some seem to be invisible. I don't mind dying but I like to at least feel like it was my fault.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Ugh. This sucks. Guess my TL is going on ebay.:D

Edit:
Is this a good deal/reliable site?
I prefer a flip top than a slide card, seems like less hassle.[/QUOTE]

the Giant Store is legit. I ordered 2 sets of PS2 flip-tops and 2 sets of Swap Magic discs from them a while ago. everything came packaged great and shipped quick.

P.S- Toys and Joys sucks. There was a family at my old job who constantly tried to convince me they were good. Hope you get your situation fixed Apossum.

[quote name='asianxcore']the Giant Store is legit. I ordered 2 sets of PS2 flip-tops and 2 sets of Swap Magic discs from them a while ago. everything came packaged great and shipped quick.
[/quote]
Awesome, that's where I'll order from then.:)

yeah, I just took my guide offline... or at least saved it offline because it's probably next up for a deletion if somebody bumps it.

Yeah, that's the easiest. Swap Magic is really easy though. Even my friend who bought it just for custom Guitar Hero tracks could install it.

Right now I'm having a tough time finding some shumups like Psyvariar, Espgaluda (cheap), and Mushihime-Sama.

Ok Thanks guys

Btw are Final Fantasy I & II, [JP] import friendly ? I heard they have full english options.

Does anyone know if Dragon Quest Swords: The masked Queen and the Tower of mirrors (Wii) is import friendly ? Btw is there a site that can tell me what games are import friendly and not, because i dont want to have to keep posting silly questions like this lol.

Anyone ever order from ultimateconsoleguides.com. They have a pretty good combo on SwapMagic 3.6, a Slide Card, and a new PS2 front plate. All for $30 shipped.

Also, great guide and thread OP.

[quote name='near']Does anyone know if Dragon Quest Swords: The masked Queen and the Tower of mirrors (Wii) is import friendly ? Btw is there a site that can tell me what games are import friendly and not, because i dont want to have to keep posting silly questions like this lol.[/quote]

Not sure, but do you have your Wii modded? As it'll have to be, since the Wii is not region free (damn you Nintendo.)

I just got the new Sega Ages for PS2 that has Galaxy Force II.
I loved this game in the Arcades growing up and I have to say they did an excellent job finally delivering an Arcade perfect port. It also has the SMS version (which I already own from all those years back), the Mega Drive version (never released for the Genesis), the Arcade Version, and a Neo Arcade Version. The Neo Arcade version uses the PS2's ability to clean up the sprites and smooth out the scaling effect. It is the overall best version of Galaxy Force II to date.

Could someone please help me,i'm looking to get a ps2 so i can play naruto accel 2 and was wondering what is the cheapest/simpliest way to do that without having to take apart the ps2?I've read that the swap magic disk is not compatible with new ps2's and the slide card thing could mess your ps2 up is any of those things true?

[quote name='Mugen']Could someone please help me,i'm looking to get a ps2 so i can play naruto accel 2 and was wondering what is the cheapest/simpliest way to do that without having to take apart the ps2?I've read that the swap magic disk is not compatible with new ps2's and the slide card thing could mess your ps2 up is any of those things true?[/quote]

I'm been playing imports for months now. No problems at all. I have the FAT PS2 so I use the slide card and swap magic. The method for playing imports all depends on your PS2. Use the guide on this thread or do some research over the web. It is not all that hard, and it doesn't damage your PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back