Chacranajxy's Guide to Importing (Updated 2/6/07 at 21:05)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on the PS2. The PS2 version is based on the arcade original which is an improvement on Melty Blood ReACT Final Tuned on the PC (or whatever the crazy title was.)

Personally I was reading your guide and it was looking good until you put. Japanese RPG games Not import freindly which is total bull. Japanese RPG games is grand all you need is the console/emulator and run the disk/cart.

About understanding the gameplay most RPG games from Japan is fairly easy to understand while yes you might want to checkout the text where you barely understand but it's a heck of a lot better then buying some stinking US DAD game.

They have All kinds of RPG games with all kinds of features. Dataa Simulators or any simulator is not a big prbolemo. Just learn some Kanji or gamble and remember what certain actions give out

About chippping the PS2 bit I stand against this. Yes we all could have a PS2 that could play all imports but I would just import a PS2 or buy one that was chiped by the Asians by first hand. If anybody wants I will check my local store if they have any but it will cost like a new PS2.

PS2's selection is made up of more PSX games. The RPG games on PS2 is pure crap or Hand me down games. It's like they totally skipped a course in Shinji Makima Biohazard Horror movie wanna be filler. It's probably not the RPG but the Dubbs itself. PS2 is not the first priotrity but the PSX. The PSX and Sega Saturn will have allways have a bigger listing.

All games is import freindly you just need to look up the game beforing buying first hand.

They encode the Region since it is required by law. If they did not Region encode lock DVD's then I could just order Movie A from a Supplier in one area and forget about the Supplier in my local area. There fore people would lose money. I hate it too but thats the rules. Don't worry Cartrige games will make a huge comeback.

Lastly Japan is not expensive. One Yen is roughly eqaul to one penny. I am not going to threw my whole theory of pricing but it's like me buying stuff in my home town and nobody else buys the stuff.

BUMP

How is Play-Asia on shipping items on backorder? I'm looking to order KOF XI and Melty Blood, but both show "Usually ships in 1 week".

gwwaahh, too early. My secret plans cannot yet be revealed (guess it's my fault for linking this.) Anyway, yeah, I'm finally updating this guide.

Finally updated this (mainly because I'm at school where there's no gaming and I'm bored as shit.) I said I would... so I did. Anyway, I did this:

- Added LE and Budget release info to game listings
- Expanded the store section
- Added mo' games
- Split up the next gen systems into individual sections... like there's anything to import on the PS3 or Wii that's not coming out here...

I have a question:

I've heard that Donkey Konga 3 doesn't save with a freeloader, is it because it can't save to a foreign memory card or just not at all? I'd think getting a memory card from Japan would do the trick.

[quote name='yukine']I have a question:

I've heard that Donkey Konga 3 doesn't save with a freeloader, is it because it can't save to a foreign memory card or just not at all? I'd think getting a memory card from Japan would do the trick.[/QUOTE]

I don't know for a fact, but I've read in the past that you've gotta use a Japanese memory card for a some Japanese Cube games... I specifically remember reading something about Donkey Konga being included in that.

Nice job man. If there were Saturn games, I would love you long time. If you have any recommendations could you PM them to me? I'm having a bitch of a time finding info on any recommendations or saturn friendly games to import.

[quote name='Chacrana']I don't know for a fact, but I've read in the past that you've gotta use a Japanese memory card for a some Japanese Cube games... I specifically remember reading something about Donkey Konga being included in that.[/QUOTE]I believe a gamecube memory card cannot contain saves for both import and domestic games at the same time.

I do not know how this affects you in terms of PAL games, but you don't wanna play those anyway!!

so anyway... if you have a mem card w/ your domestic saves on it, but pop in an import and try to save, I think all your former saves get deleted, and vice-versa. Either that or the game will not allow you to save...

Also, my gamecube is modded so I dont use freeloader. Rather, there's a switch in the back of the unit that changes the region on it.

so if I am using the mem card browser while in domestic mode, but my card has my puzzle collection save on it, I will get a message saying the card needs to be formatted.

I hope u can understand that.

[quote name='danito']Nice job man. If there were Saturn games, I would love you long time. If you have any recommendations could you PM them to me? I'm having a bitch of a time finding info on any recommendations or saturn friendly games to import.[/QUOTE]
Dungeons and Dragons!!! u will need the ram cart tho...

well my friend is a modder, he always had hella PS2s and stuff all over his bedroom so u always had to watch your step when u go and visit.

he still does it, but these days he's not as hardcore as he once was.

one day he had an extra gamecube lying around and just gave it to me as a bday present :)

[quote name='Apossum']there needs to be a way to play import PS2 games on the PS3.[/QUOTE]
I agree. That's the only reason my PS2 is still hooked up.

Is it possible for someone to link me to a respected flip-top site? I've a slim PS2 and a Japanese game is already on its way. There are easily found sites on google, but they all seem shady and mostly all just sell flip-tops. Any tried and true sites? Also, if asking is bad, let me know.

[quote name='Moses144']Is it possible for someone to link me to a respected flip-top site? I've a slim PS2 and a Japanese game is already on its way. There are easily found sites on google, but they all seem shady and mostly all just sell flip-tops. Any tried and true sites? Also, if asking is bad, let me know.[/QUOTE]

gocybershop.ca is legit.

My PS2 slim is version SCPH-75001. I'm NOT just being lazy, I did check the site out for a time. All of the things are 7000x, and the only result I got for 75000 or 7500 or 7500x was a mod installation for $130ish. Can anyone guide me in the correct direction? You guys have been quite helpful in so far.

[quote name='Moses144']My PS2 slim is version SCPH-75001. I'm NOT just being lazy, I did check the site out for a time. All of the things are 7000x, and the only result I got for 75000 or 7500 or 7500x was a mod installation for $130ish. Can anyone guide me in the correct direction? You guys have been quite helpful in so far.[/QUOTE]

It's ghetto, but Apossum's post might give you an alternative:
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2096833&postcount=107

[quote name='Chacrana']It's ghetto, but Apossum's post might give you an alternative:
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2096833&postcount=107[/QUOTE]

dude, flip top is ghetto. they are obvious-- sometimes they're glossy, or a little grayish, and they're made of cheap plastic.

My method is stealth, you don't see it at all, and it does the same thing a flip top does :cool:

(and if anyone wants to buy a pair of swap discs, I'm getting rid of mine since I'm getting a PS3. PM me with offers.)

[quote name='Apossum']dude, flip top is ghetto. they are obvious-- sometimes they're glossy, or a little grayish, and they're made of cheap plastic.

My method is stealth, you don't see it at all, and it does the same thing a flip top does :cool:

(and if anyone wants to buy a pair of swap discs, I'm getting rid of mine since I'm getting a PS3. PM me with offers.)[/quote]
That's kind of how I have my Sega Saturn "modded." :lol:

If my launch PS2 ever dies on me, I'll have to pick up a slim. I'll get a PS3 in maybe 2 - 3 years, so it'd still be a good investment.

[quote name='yukine']That's kind of how I have my Sega Saturn "modded." :lol:

If my launch PS2 ever dies on me, I'll have to pick up a slim. I'll get a PS3 in maybe 2 - 3 years, so it'd still be a good investment.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about picking up a modded slim PS2. It's not going to require boot discs of any sort, it'll take up very little space, and it won't have compatibility issues.

Is this website trying to rob my cheapass with this?

http://www.ultimateconsoleguides.com/MagicSwitch.htm

"Designed for use with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Swap Magic Discs V3.6[/FONT] on the PS2 SCPH-7000X, SCPH-7500X, SCPH-7700X (v12-15). These Magic Switches will work on PS2 Slim series SCPH-7500X, but you need to open up the PS2. PS2 Slim series SCPH-7500X need piece D to be installed inside of the PS2 which WILL void your warranty. Check your model number before ordering. Or, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] if you see this under your lid[/FONT], then you will need to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]install tool D[/FONT].
There is one more tool included in Magic Switch Pro V3, i.e. Tool E. Tool E is designed to solve the problem that installation of D requires open the case which will void the warranty of console. It is installed near the location of previous Tool C but usable on the new version of PS2 Slimline."

Will the stealthy way described already by Apossum bypass this, or, since I have the model they described, will I have to buy this?

[quote name='Moses144']Is this website trying to rob my cheapass with this?

"Designed for use with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Swap Magic Discs V3.6[/FONT] on the PS2 SCPH-7000X, SCPH-7500X, SCPH-7700X (v12-15). These Magic Switches will work on PS2 Slim series SCPH-7500X, but you need to open up the PS2. PS2 Slim series SCPH-7500X need piece D to be installed inside of the PS2 which WILL void your warranty. Check your model number before ordering. Or, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] if you see this under your lid[/FONT], then you will need to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]install tool D[/FONT].
There is one more tool included in Magic Switch Pro V3, i.e. Tool E. Tool E is designed to solve the problem that installation of D requires open the case which will void the warranty of console. It is installed near the location of previous Tool C but usable on the new version of PS2 Slimline."

Will the stealthy way described already by Apossum bypass this, or, since I have the model they described, will I have to buy this?
[/QUOTE]

Do you need swap discs with Apossum's ghetto method? Yes.

[quote name='foundation']Do Japanese PS2s play Korean or games tagged as "Asia" by import sites or do they have their own models of PS2?[/QUOTE]

Japanese PS2s can play Asian and Korean games.

Sold. Thanks Chacrana. I just picked up another dozen import titles and can't deal with swapping discs anymore. It'll go nicely with the import GC, DC, and SFC. :D

[quote name='foundation']Sold. Thanks Chacrana. I just picked up another dozen import titles and can't deal with swapping discs anymore. It'll go nicely with the import GC, DC, and SFC. :D[/QUOTE]

I've gotta pick up a Japanese PS2 at some point... I wonder how much a new one can be had for... I'm sick of swap discs and I'm getting a lot more imports... I have no doubt I'd get my money's worth from buying one.

I managed to get a decent quote on a few from eBay import stores. About $150 to $165 shipped for a new one.

Hey do the CapKore versions differ outside of packaging? Are they just 'Greatest Hits?'

[quote name='foundation']I managed to get a decent quote on a few from eBay import stores. About $150 to $165 shipped for a new one.

Hey do the CapKore versions differ outside of packaging? Are they just 'Greatest Hits?'[/QUOTE]

I think I addressed this in the "saving money" section, but yeah, CapKore = Greatest Hits. It's just Capcom's label for it. Identical game. Lemme guess... looking at Darkstalkers Collection?

Anyway, $150 shipped for a new PS2 would be fine for me... I love me some fighting games and the Japanese PS2 = the fighting game system.

Yeah I thought I had read that in your guide but I figure it doesn't hurt to double-check. Yeah I was looking at Darkstalkers and 3rd Strike specifically but I have to break my OCD and buy non-GH to get 'em outside of eBay.

[quote name='Moses144']Is this website trying to rob my cheapass with this?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it bypasses that since you put a piece of tape right on the sensor that "point D" is blocking. and you do still need swap discs, unfortunately.

[quote name='Apossum']Yeah, it bypasses that since you put a piece of tape right on the sensor that "point D" is blocking. and you do still need swap discs, unfortunately.[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

I ordered my Japanese PS2 from play-asia about a year ago for $200, now it's $179. Plus they gave me some free candy and a component cable.

[quote name='Midnite']I ordered my Japanese PS2 from play-asia about a year ago for $200, now it's $179. Plus they gave me some free candy and a component cable.[/QUOTE]

Those kinds of prices aren't too bad. I'm not quite sure when I'd get around to ordering something like this since I have enough stuff to get as it is, but yeah... assuming nobody hacks the PS3 to be region free, I'd get several years worth of use out of this since I love my fighters and shmups. Depending on what candy it is though, I might buy it right now.

[quote name='Chacrana'] Depending on what candy it is though, I might buy it right now.[/QUOTE]

It was some type of rock candy

[quote name='Midnite']It was some type of rock candy[/QUOTE]

I'm not some cheap slut -- they'd better give me pocky or better or they get nothing from me.

Edit: BTW guys, keep bumping this thread. It's not worthy of being stickied, but... it's kinda kewl still.

[quote name='asianxcore']If I buy a Japanese PS2, would I be able to use Swap Magic discs to have it play American games?[/QUOTE]

I think you're just fucking with me and trying to trip me up. :lol:

As far as I know, yes, you can use Swap Magic to play US games, but you need a different set of Swap Magic discs that are designed for Japanese systems.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think you're just fucking with me and trying to trip me up. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

I just like to ask weird questions. GOTTA KEEP THIS THREAD AT THE TOP! :)

My copy of Melty Blood needs to get here quicker. I will keep mentioning this until I get mine in the mail.

[quote name='asianxcore']I just like to ask weird questions. GOTTA KEEP THIS THREAD AT THE TOP! :)

My copy of Melty Blood needs to get here quicker. I will keep mentioning this until I get mine in the mail.[/QUOTE]

You should stab the mailman and learn that guy his motherfuckin' place. You've been waitin' too long.

Anyway, good import week for me... should be getting my copy of DJ Max Portable and Darkstalkers Collection, I ordered Osu Tatakae Ouendan with the $10 off PA coupon, and I should be getting Bleach DS 2 from NCSX using the $15 off Paypal coupon.

[quote name='Chacrana']You should stab the mailman and learn that guy his motherfuckin' place. You've been waitin' too long.

Anyway, good import week for me... should be getting my copy of DJ Max Portable and Darkstalkers Collection, I ordered Osu Tatakae Ouendan with the $10 off PA coupon, and I should be getting Bleach DS 2 from NCSX using the $15 off Paypal coupon.[/QUOTE]

I would've gone for the faster shipping (1-4 days), but I was only ordering one thing at the time. Having Melty Blood in my possession will make waiting for my other order (Neo Geo Battle Coliseum) a whole lot easier.

Nice purchases. I hope you like that Darkstalkers Collection. I bought it when it was still $50 and I don't regret it at all. It was actually the main reason I decided to flip-top my PS2.

The only thing I noticed with the Darkstalkers Collection is the music keeps cutting out in Vampire Saviour Rev. 2... it dosen't do it on any other game in the collection.

[quote name='mentos888']what about european games? i found this version of the hard-to-find nocturne (lucifer's call) on amazon here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B0009F19TM/ref=s9_asin_title_2/026-4132739-9860469

how do you play this type of game on a US PS2?[/QUOTE]

Importing European PS2 games? Ewww...

Uhm... well you'd need the swap magic discs and it would work the same way as with loading up a Japanese game. Though there'd be an issue with it working on NTSC TVs. I think but can't confirm right now that the Swap Magic discs allow you to choose NTSC and have PAL games work.

Point is, assuming that's true, it works exactly the same way except that you switch the Video format to NTSC on the Swap Disc menu (you'll know what I mean when you see it.)

[quote name='Chacrana']Importing European PS2 games? Ewww...

Uhm... well you'd need the swap magic discs and it would work the same way as with loading up a Japanese game. Though there'd be an issue with it working on NTSC TVs. I think but can't confirm right now that the Swap Magic discs allow you to choose NTSC and have PAL games work.

Point is, assuming that's true, it works exactly the same way except that you switch the Video format to NTSC on the Swap Disc menu (you'll know what I mean when you see it.)[/QUOTE]
Um there is nothing eww about importing european games. The simple 2000 games from 505 Game Street all have NTSC selector and works great on my NTSC TV. I prefer them to the Japanese version because they are in english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back