Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I'm actually looking forward for the next Marvel "event" coming up, IVX (Inhumans Vs X-men) for which Death of X is the prequel. Soule and Lemire are pretty much the only people I'm currently reading Marvel-wise, so them teaming up for this entices me.

Speaking of Lemire, the series he and Snyder have been working on forever is finally coming out!!! Here's something that written about it on Image comics almost two years ago: https://imagecomics.com/content/view/snyder-and-lemire-come-together-to-bring-ad-after-death-to-life

Shorthand version, it's a series called AD: After Death written by Snyder and illustrated by Lemire. It's coming out in 3 big prestige format issues. I'm so pumped for this.

Edited to add that I just finished the last issue of Tokyo Ghost, and I am in awe. What an amazing series. If anyone here hasn't been reading this, it is a must-read for sure. One of my new favorite all-time series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed I went over my comics preorder budget.

Signed on to see what I could take off my list, and ended up adding this...

STL024280.jpg

:whistle2:

This is a 40% off one item at Barnes and Noble website until 9/5. Good for a TPB or anything else that BN carry:

LMQCJGX26KQFK

Shipping is free if the total is at or over $25.

Thanks, blueweltall.  I picked up the Green Arrow deluxe edition by Lemire and Sorrentino for $24.89 shipped, MSRP $50.

Has anyone noticed a lot of errors in their Marvel books lately? Like really obvious editing mistakes? I've been noticing words misspelled or just MISSING from sentences, even word bubbles coming from the wrong character. It's pretty embarrassing. 

Has anyone noticed a lot of errors in their Marvel books lately? Like really obvious editing mistakes? I've been noticing words misspelled or just MISSING from sentences, even word bubbles coming from the wrong character. It's pretty embarrassing.
Yes! I am the type of person who notices such things almost every time they come up. But, to be fair, it's not a new phenomenon. I've been reading through lots of older stuff on Marvel Unlimited and those same errors popped up just as frequently as they do in today's books.

Those look awesome, kcobra22!

Here's what I picked up last night:

mB3Zvi8.jpg

• A-Force #9
• Action Comics #963
• All-New Inhumans #11
• All-New X-Men #13
• All-Star Batman #2
• Batgirl & the Birds of Prey #2
• Birthright #19
• Black Panther #6
• Civil War II: Amazing Spider-Man #4
• Civil War II: Gods of War #4
• Civil War II: Ulysses #2
• Deadpool #18
• Deathstroke #2
• Detective Comics #940
• Flash #6
• Gwenpool #6
• Mockingbird #7
• New Super-Man #3
• Old Man Logan #11
• Power Rangers: Pink #3
• Rocket Raccoon & Groot #9
• Spider-Man #8
• Spider-Man 2099 #15
• Star Wars: The Force Awakens #4
• Suicide Squad #2
• Superwoman #2
• Uncanny Avengers #14
• Uncanny Inhumans #13
• Wonder Woman #6

Y'all, I really thought
Red Robin died
in this week's Detective Comics.

They got me good

Went to Batman day at my local shop, and Tim Seeley was signing books and doing sketches! Got him to sign some Nightwing issues and also did a couple of sketches for me and my lady. Awesome dude!

So most of my comic reading is done through Comixology and I was looking at replacing my iPad 2 (the super old one). Can anyone recommend the Amazon Fire 8" HD tablet?

Went to Batman day at my local shop, and Tim Seeley was signing books and doing sketches! Got him to sign some Nightwing issues and also did a couple of sketches for me and my lady. Awesome dude!
Tim Seeley is pretty awesome. I had him do a sketch cover for me before and I bought one of his covers from his art portfolio.

I can't believe there are only 3 issues left in Civil War. It feels like nothing has really happened yet to get it close to the conclusion. Also the story is a complete mess of course.

I don't understand how they can arrest people for things they haven't done yet because someone can potentially see the future. The Marvel universe has Old Man Logan from one future, Rachel Grey is from another, Cable is from that one over there, Evil Professor X's son from a different future, Spider-Man 2099 from his own, and then SM2099 has been going future to future pretty much for the last two years. This one has Maestro in charge, this one has the Sinister Six, this one has Punisher 2099 hunting supes, etc.

There's like 20 current futures out there. Plus add in the Young X-Men time travelling to the present, Battleworld Maestro still active, the entire Squadron Supreme being from different universes/timelines and whatever else I'm missing.

At least Battleworld and AvX made a little bit more sense than this.

They also haven't freaked out with people who can tell the future before. Negasonic Teenage Warhead was doing it just a few month ago, then there is Blindfold from the X-Men, and there was Mystique's girlfriend Destiny. She had a relatively big role in a story just like two years ago when she had Mystique following her notes step by step because she was that accurate.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot about the new mutant Eva from a few years ago. Her power was originally just a time bubble of stopping time, but now she can travel through time herself. She went to yet another different 2099 future. Add that to travelling back in time to talk to Professor X and then changing the present to stop a new Omega level mutant from mistakenly destroying a good part of the world.

Speaking about her makes me wonder where she is anyways. She hasn't been seen for like a year and with her powers she should be one of the mos tpowerful beings in existence. The lack of Quentin Quire is also weird (especially since he is destined to become the Phoenix is yet another future).

I Asked my friend a few weeks ago if Civil War II had ended and was surprised to realized it was still ongoing. For a crossover "event" no one seems to give any fucks about it even after Hulk supposedly died and it was forgotten about basically a week later. I Think Marvel thinking they can ride on the coat tails of Captain America: Civil War was enough to push the event forward, but I'm glad the general consensus just went with "nooope".

I am so glad I punched out of Civil War 2 after issue 2. It seems like it's gone nowhere.

I continued to read Civil War Xmen which ended up being a mistake when you take into consideration that
absolutely nothing of consequence changed. You still have the Xmen and inhumans on the brink of war. It started strong but ended up being a complete waste.

I'm at an all time low for comics I'm buying. I'm pretty much down to Uncanny, Batman, Detective Comics, and Aliens Defiance. Despite picking up a good chunk of the rebirth titles none really kept my interest except Detective which I wasn't previously reading. I'm not saying they're bad, I just didn't feel that strong pull to keep going with any of the other titles.

I'm strongly phasing out of my comics phase back into my manga phase. Thinking of dropping all the x-men other than the 2 wolverine titles (not bad honestly), dropping most team titles (kind of boring me only have Titans/Teen Titans/Ultimates/Uncanny Avengers so not that much honestly) and keeping what I like most. I think of all the ones i'm thinking of dropping only Uncanny Avengers has been pretty entertaining.  

Just went through my subscription/pull list and took quite a bunch of stuff off as well (to save some money). Except, my bare bones list somehow still has 30 titles on it. There's just too many good books right now!

(Note that this list also contains my lady's books, which I consider separate from my own list)

BLACK MASK COMICS
$3.00 (save $0.99) BLACK #4
$3.00 (save $0.99) THE SKEPTICS #3

BOOM! STUDIOS

$2.80 (save $1.19) BACKSTAGERS #5 (OF 8)
$5.60 (save $2.39) KLAUS & WITCH OF WINTER ONE SHOT
$2.80 (save $1.19) NAMESAKE #2

DARK HORSE COMICS

$2.60 (save $1.39) BLACK HAMMER #6 ORMSTON MAIN

DC COMICS (BATMAN)

$3.25 (save $1.74) ALL STAR BATMAN #5
$1.95 (save $1.04) BATGIRL #6
$1.95 (save $1.04) BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY #5
$1.95 (save $1.04) BATMAN #12

$1.95 (save $1.04) BATMAN #13
$3.90 (save $2.09) DARK KNIGHT III MASTER RACE #7 (OF 8)
$1.95 (save $1.04) DETECTIVE COMICS #946
$1.95 (save $1.04) DETECTIVE COMICS #947

DC COMICS (DC UNIVERSE)

$6.50 (save $3.49) DC REBIRTH HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1
$1.95 (save $1.04) HELLBLAZER #5
$2.60 (save $1.39) MIDNIGHTER AND APOLLO #3 (OF 6)

DC COMICS (SUPERMAN)

$1.95 (save $1.04) NEW SUPER MAN #6

DC COMICS (YOUNG ANIMAL)

$2.60 (save $1.39) CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE #3 VAR ED
$2.60 (save $1.39) DOOM PATROL #4 VAR ED
$2.60 (save $1.39) MOTHER PANIC #2 VAR ED
$2.60 (save $1.39) SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL #3 VAR ED

DC COMICS / VERTIGO

$2.60 (save $1.39) CLEAN ROOM #15

GRAPHIC INDIA PTE. LTD

$2.25 (save $0.74) GRANT MORRISONS 18 DAYS #18 MAIN CVR
$3.00 (save $0.99) GRANT MORRISONS AVATAREX #4 MAIN CVR

IDW PUBLISHING

$7.00 (save $2.99) LOVE IS LOVE

IMAGE COMICS

$3.90 (save $2.09) AD AFTER DEATH BOOK 2 (OF 3)
$2.60 (save $1.39) BLACK SCIENCE #26
$2.60 (save $1.39) DEADLY CLASS #25
$1.95 (save $1.04) DESCENDER #17
$2.60 (save $1.39) MONSTRESS #9
$2.60 (save $1.39) MOTOR CRUSH #1 CVR A TARR
$2.60 (save $1.39) REBORN #3 CVR A CAPULLO
$2.60 (save $1.39) RINGSIDE #10
$1.95 (save $1.04) SAGA #41
$2.60 (save $1.39) SEVEN TO ETERNITY #4 CVR A OPENA & HOLLINGSWORTH

MARVEL COMICS (HEROES)

$2.60 (save $1.39) BLACK PANTHER #9
$2.60 (save $1.39) BLACK PANTHER WORLD OF WAKANDA #2
$2.60 (save $1.39) DAREDEVIL #14
$2.60 (save $1.39) HULK #1
$2.60 (save $1.39) MOON KNIGHT #9
$2.60 (save $1.39) THANOS #2
$2.60 (save $1.39) UNCANNY INHUMANS #17

MARVEL COMICS (X-MEN)

$2.60 (save $1.39) EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #17
$2.60 (save $1.39) OLD MAN LOGAN #15

There's also an awesome Black Science statue available for order this month ($97.50, retail $150) that is limited to 500 that I want dearly. However, priorities.  :whistle2:( 

bin-li-tri.jpg

That Black Science statue is cool looking - I have to check that out.

I talked to Scalera this weekend at NYCC and he said that Black Science has like another 8 or 10 issues left. It wouldn't be going on forever.

I also asked Ottley what he thought about Invincible ending. He said it was about time and he is happy about it so he can move onto different projects.

That Black Science statue is cool looking - I have to check that out.

I talked to Scalera this weekend at NYCC and he said that Black Science has like another 8 or 10 issues left. It wouldn't be going on forever.

I also asked Ottley what he thought about Invincible ending. He said it was about time and he is happy about it so he can move onto different projects.
That's awesome, wish I could have gone to NYCC. Did you grab anything cool while you were there?

Here's what I got yesterday:

7ujYRfr.jpg

• Action Comics #965
• All-Star Batman #3
• Batgirl & The Birds of Prey #3
• Civil War II: Ulysses #3
• Clone Conspiracy #1
• Daredevil #12
• Darth Vader #25
• Deadpool #20
• Deathstroke #4
• Detective Comics #942
• Flash #8
• Great Lakes Avengers #1
• Gwenpool #7
• Han Solo #4
• Howard The Duck #11
• Moon Knight #7
• Mosaic #1
• New Super-Man #4
• Old Man Logan #12
• Power Man & Iron Fist #9
• Punisher #6
• Solo #1
• Spider-Woman #11
• Squadron Supreme #12
• Star Wars: The Force Awakens #5
• Suicide Squad #4
• Supergirl #2
• Superwoman #3
• Thunderbolts #6
• Uncanny Avengers #15
• Wonder Woman #8

That's awesome, wish I could have gone to NYCC. Did you grab anything cool while you were there?
For collectibles I picked up a kotobukiya Harley Statue and a Johnny Bravo 5 inch figure.

I also grabbed two original art pages from the recent Detective Comics issue (from the big Red Robin scene). I've gotten into collecting original art. I don't have much since it can be expensive but I've framed and hung up a few.

Does anyone here collect any original art - or sketches, etc.? It's probably a very niche field, but I've moved onto mostly that these days even when compared to video games. My interest in collecting thousands of video game waivers sometimes but I can't see myself ever losing interest in some of the pieces I've purchased. I try to avoid getting much from things that won't go on forever (for all intensive purposes), but I did buy one of pivotal scenes from Chew to hang up on my wall and some important panels from Walking Dead. Most of my other stuff comes from Ninja Turtles, Batman, Red Sonja and a few others.

Does anyone here collect any original art - or sketches, etc.? It's probably a very niche field, but I've moved onto mostly that these days even when compared to video games. My interest in collecting thousands of video game waivers sometimes but I can't see myself ever losing interest in some of the pieces I've purchased. I try to avoid getting much from things that won't go on forever (for all intensive purposes), but I did buy one of pivotal scenes from Chew to hang up on my wall and some important panels from Walking Dead. Most of my other stuff comes from Ninja Turtles, Batman, Red Sonja and a few others.
I wish! I have an ever growing collection of prints (mostly by Sean Murphy, along with some others) and a handful of sketches, but no full original pages. Hopefully one day. If I could pick just one (although I guess it's technically two pages) it'd be this: https://www.essentialsequential.com/Tokyo-Ghost-Issue-10-p20-21-by-Sean-Gordon-Murphy_p_5673.html

What pages do you currently own?

I am so sick of my local comic store. Every single time, my order gets screwed up. There's either extra stuff I didn't order or something is missing. And the owner gets really dickish if I mention those things.

Today, I received this email. He said some of the books come out next week and some come 2 weeks from now:

"The following books did not release this week:

A Year Of Marvels: Unbeatable #1

Astonishing Ant-Man #13

Black Widow #7

Captain America: Sam Wilson #14

Deadpool: Too Soon #1

Mockingbird #8

Power Rangers: Pink #4"

Yet I verified from a friend who owns a comic store in another state, everything on that list did release today as scheduled. This gets so annoying when it happens every single time. But none of the other stores in the area offer a 20% discount and free bag & board at the low price of $5 per month.

I am so sick of my local comic store. Every single time, my order gets screwed up. There's either extra stuff I didn't order or something is missing. And the owner gets really dickish if I mention those things.

Today, I received this email. He said some of the books come out next week and some come 2 weeks from now:

Astonishing Ant-Man #13

Black Widow #7

Mockingbird #8

Yet I verified from a friend who owns a comic store in another state, everything on that list did release today as scheduled. This gets so annoying when it happens every single time. But none of the other stores in the area offer a 20% discount and free bag & board at the low price of $5 per month.
Man, that blows. After living in area with such a store, I'm glad to be living in Chicago now where there's no shortage of great comics stores. Time to move!

I'm surprised that he's being a dick to you considering how much comics you pick up every week.

I wish! I have an ever growing collection of prints (mostly by Sean Murphy, along with some others) and a handful of sketches, but no full original pages. Hopefully one day. If I could pick just one (although I guess it's technically two pages) it'd be this: https://www.essentialsequential.com/Tokyo-Ghost-Issue-10-p20-21-by-Sean-Gordon-Murphy_p_5673.html

Most of my collection (off the top of my head):

Chew - the two page spread with the defeat of the main villain

Fables - two page spread with Rose Red from the last issue

Detective Comics - recent page with Batman on his knees holding Red Robin's staff and then a page with Batman and Spoiler grieving/hugging

Red Sonja vs Thulsa Doom cover by Gabrielle Del Otto

Cover to Aliens vs Vampirella #1

Cover to Army Darkness vs Vampirella #1

TMNT - Cory Smith's cover to #42, a few pages here and there and one more recent cover that I paid a lot for and because the price is still shown online I don't want to admit to it

Walking Dead - from the recent 159 issue I got the "reunion" and "death" pages

For unpublished/sketches/commissions/etc. I have

Harley Quinn (with Batman in background) by Bruce Timm

Vampirella by Bruce Timm

Red Sonja by Goron Sudzuka

American Vampire (Pearl) pinup by Rafael Albuquerque

Zombie Harley Quinn sketch cover by Ryan Ottley

Devil-Man by Gabrielle Del Otto

Harley Quinn sketch cover by Ken Lashley

Harley Quinn/Cassie Hack sketch cover by Tim Seeley

That is a really cool two page spread too.

I really liked Tokyo Ghost but I'm not sure if it is something that I will remember in 5+ years. I try to stick with long lasting characters or long on-going series.

Speaking of that I'm pretty sad that two long on-going are ending. In a year there will be more Chew or Invincible and that is crazy to me.

Astonishing Ant-Man #13

Black Widow #7

Mockingbird #8

Just order from DCBS, no free bag and board but they deliver to your house.

Is anyone going to pick up Batman Beyond? I was wondering what the status is over there. Did they just retcon everything out that happened with Brother Eye, Tim Drake, and the whole Future's End thing? Did Tim Drake just disappear and Terry reappear?

I honestly can't remember the ending of the previous Batman Beyond series from like 2013 but I thought Bruce was still alive and kicking (wasn't that where the whole Batgirl/Bruce affair thing came from), but it looks like Bruce is gone from what I read in the previews for the new Batman Beyond. If he is gone it would be from the apocalyptic future that Brother Eye made?

I read most Future's End because I thought it was mostly a Batman Beyond story but it went downhill and then Drake goes to the future to become Batman.  I didn't read the Tim Drake Batman Beyond series.

Just order from DCBS, no free bag and board but they deliver to your house.
Do they offer any discount off the cover price?

Here's what I got this week. I actually picked up 35 issues from each of the last 2 weeks.

qeHu7o0.jpg

• Action Comics #966
• Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #10
• All-New All-Different Avengers #15
• Batgirl #4
• Birthright #20
• Brickleberry #4
• Captain America: Steve Rogers #6
• Civil War II #6
• Deadpool #21
• Deathstroke #5
• Detective Comics #943
• Doctor Strange: Mystic Apprentice #1
• Doctor Strange: Sorcerers Supreme #1
• Extraordinary X-Men #15
• Flash #9
• Guardians of the Galaxy #13
• Marvel Tsum Tsum #3
• Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #8
• Ms. Marvel #12
• New Avengers #17
• Poe Dameron #7
• Prowler #1
• Punisher Annual #1
• Silver Surfer #7
• Spider-Man/Deadpool #10
• Star Wars #24
• Suicide Squad #5
• Teen Titans #1
• Titans #4
• Totally Awesome Hulk #11
• Ultimates #12
• Venom: Space Knight #13
• Vision #12
• Wonder Woman #9
• Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special #1

Anyone looking to read Lazarus who hasn't, or wanna give em as a gift? When slimming down my pull list it didn't make the cut, so I have vol 1-4 I'm getting rid of (as well as the current single issues if anyone is interested in those too, I'll throw em in).

unnamed.jpg

Few other books I'm getting rid of:

- Black Magick Vol 1

- Sons of the Devil Vol 1

- Serenity Vol 1 + 2

- Batman Beyond 2.0 Rewired

- X-men Vol 1 (Brian Wood)

If anyone wants any of these let me know, you can have em cheap. Obviously the more you want the cheaper it'll be to send. Let me know before Friday as I'll be taking them to the used book shop then.

Rise from your grave, comic book thread! Here's what I bought this week:

lJPVkcd.jpg

• Amazing Spider-Man #22
• Avengers #2.1
• Back To The Future #15
• Batman #13
• Black Panther: World of Wakanda #2
• Cage #3
• Captain America: Sam Wilson #16
• Cyborg #7
• Deadpool & The Mercs For Money #6
• Doctor Strange #15
• Gamora #1
• Green Arrow #13
• Gwenpool #9
• Harley Quinn #10
• Invincible Iron Man #2
• Justice League #11
• Justice League/Suicide Squad #1
• Mighty Captain Marvel #0
• Nightwing #11
• Occupy Avengers #2
• Power Man & Iron Fist: Sweet Christmas Annual #1
• Punisher #7
• Raven #4
• Silver Surfer #8
• Solo #3
• Spider-Gwen #15
• Star-Lord #1
• Star Trek/Green Lantern Volume 2 #1
• Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #2
• Superman #13
• Thanos #2
• Trinity #4
• Ultimates 2 #2
• Uncanny X-Men #16
• Venom #2

Anyone here grab the Batman annual holiday special, or Superman annual? Gotta say, both were my favorite annuals this... annual. 

But really though, that first story in Batman with the dog... got me good.

Anyone here grab the Batman annual holiday special, or Superman annual? Gotta say, both were my favorite annuals this... annual.

But really though, that first story in Batman with the dog... got me good.
I got both but have read neither. I'm about 3 weeks behind on reading.

I got both but have read neither. I'm about 3 weeks behind on reading.
Yeah, I'm about the same. I usually just skip ahead for the books I'm most excited for or sound good at the time when it presents itself. My current pile is about 30 issues, mostly Marvel.

My lady and I exchanged gifts today, and I got some comic goodies worth sharing

- Rafael Albuquerque Batman B&W Statue:

noujis.jpg

- Sean Murphy Original Character Design Pages (SO stoked on these!)

20gie7d.jpg
2cp29p4.jpg
2ikryn9.jpg

Also since some people seemed into this last time, here is our recently reorganized comic corner of the library with some new shelves n art and such:

ad2q6w.jpg

Hope y'all got some good comic stuff for the holidays as well. :)

Yeah, since most books are monthly, I'm not sure how December would be a "light" month...? Either way, today is a GREAT last comic day of the year haul for me:

BLACK MASK:

• CLANDESTINO #4
  • JADE STREET PROTECTION SERVICES #3
  • SERENITY NO POWER IN THE VERSE #3 (OF 6)
DC:

• ALL STAR BATMAN #5
  • BATGIRL #6
  • DARK KNIGHT III MASTER RACE #7 (OF 8)
  • DETECTIVE COMICS #947
  • HELLBLAZER #5
  • MOTHER PANIC #2 VAR ED
  • CLEAN ROOM #15
IDW:

• LOVE IS LOVE
IMAGE:

• AD AFTER DEATH BOOK 2 (OF 3)
  • DEADLY CLASS #25
  • MONSTRESS #9
  • SEVEN TO ETERNITY #4
MARVEL:

• BLACK PANTHER #9
  • HULK #1
  • UNCANNY INHUMANS #17
  • EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #17

Don't know if anyone else here is into Batman Black & White statues, but preorders will soon be over for the first Nightwing statue, and it's pretty damn cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhynocMszYE

Local shops should still be able to order it, if not I definitely saw it on DCBS in the $50-$60 pre-order price range.

bread's done
Back