Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Triple post! :D/

Can anyone tell me what's up with Filipe Andrade's art in Marvel books? He does so many for them, and his style is different in every book he does. Which is kinda impressive, except he seems to be heavily "borrowing" from others styles. Anyone noticed this?

Last edited by a moderator:
First sub-30 week in a while:

R3PTYtx.jpg

• Avengers #3
• Batman #14
• Captain America: Sam Wilson #17
• Champions #4
• Cyborg #8
• Deadpool the Duck #1
• Deadpool: Too Soon #4
• Fall and Rise of Captain Atom #1
• Green Arrow #14
• Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Prelude #1
• Harley Quinn #11
• Hawkeye #2
• Justice League #12
• Justice League of America: The Atom Rebirth #1
• Justice League/Suicide Squad #3
• Midnighter & Apollo #4
• Moon Knight #10
• Nightwing #12
• Old Man Logan #16
• Slapstick #2
• Spider-Man 2099 #19
• Star Trek: Boldly Go #4
• Superman #14
• Unstoppable Wasp #1
• Unworthy Thor #3
• US Avengers #1
• Walking Dead #162

So with the ridiculous change in Marvel's digital copy policy, I think I'm out on floppies again.

The weird thing is, I don't even redeem the codes all the time and I certainly don't sell them. But it was always an option. Now if you buy two books in a week you'll get the same digital issues of both just to promote trades (which means it's probably already on Unlimited). Might as well wait for the 99c digital sales exclusively now.

New Red Sonja is starting - I think I read it was only a 6 issue limited. I miss the 80 issue and 35 issue runs from Dynamite before. I'm a bit hesitant since it is Red Sonja transported to 2016 New York. It is probably better that it is a mini-series or that would get old very fast. The Red Sonja series last year was also very "meh", so I guess we will see how it goes.

For a while Dynamite had a lot of my top reads - Sonja, Vampirella, the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness comics, etc. Sonja has dropped in quality and the last volume of Vampirella was abysmal.

I hope Marvel eventually finishes up the Red Skull situation. I'm glad they are moving forward, but it has been so slow. It's been like 5 years sine Red Skull scooped out those brains to get the mutant powers. They should've finished it up during the Onslaught/Inversion arc, but instead just kept dragging this out.

I really liked the Walking Dead last week. Negan character growth is always a good thing.

What's the largest number of new issues you guys have bought in a single week? My previous record stood at 35. Today, I shatter that with 41. Whoops.

Can anyone recommend an Android tablet under $200 Canadian (about $150 USD) that is ideal for reading comics and manga?
Personally, I use an Xperia Z tablet with the Perfect Viewer app. Light weight, great screen, large enough so that I can view an entire page(10.1 inches off the top of my head), AND water resistant. It's slim pickings at that price point unless you're looking at much smaller screen.

Personally, I use an Xperia Z tablet with the Perfect Viewer app. Light weight, great screen, large enough so that I can view an entire page(10.1 inches off the top of my head), AND water resistant. It's slim pickings at that price point unless you're looking at much smaller screen.
End up buying a Lenovo Tab 10 from Walmart (Canada) today, model TB-X103F. Snapdragon 210, 1Gb of RAM. It's not a powerhouse but it's certainly no slouch so far. Kindle, Play Books, VIZ, Bookwalker, YouTube, and FunimatonNow all work well. I'm hoping I can root it soon to remove some Lenovo apps and reduce RAM usage overall. It's using about 700 MB out of 9xx MB most of the time (apps in the background).

I'm typing this from the tablet actually, no lag. Will report back if I experience any issues. For $140 CAD, I can't complain for a 10.1". Pretty sure this released just before black Friday last year (2016).

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lenovo-101-hd-tab-10-za1u0000us/6000196359454

The way Justice League Dark is opening......wow. This definitely isn't your run of the mill DCAU picture.
I love the DC animated films, but this one was AMAZING. An absolute must watch for any (adult) superhero fan.

Has anyone read the Animosity series that Aftershock has published? I'd love to know what people think as I've been reading them and have really enjoyed the story.

I've been reading it, so far I've enjoyed it. Not sure if I'll keep up though as it's been a bit slow.
Yeah, I agree. The one shot give it a shot in the arm for my interest but I am still finding it quite intriguing.

It almost seems like one that I might be better off waiting for a complete collection or maybe a trade with 10-12 issues collected if it goes that far.

Animosity is a good premise but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.  The dialogue is incredibly stilted at times and the flow of the story can be very disjointed.  Marguerite Bennett has a history of writing in this manner unfortunately.  If you're looking for a good book from Aftershock, I would recommend Rough Riders.  It's a great premise that follows through on it's promise.

Here's what I got this week:

Ovnk7bH.jpg

• All-New X-Men #1.MU
• All-New X-Men #18
• Avengers #4
• Back To The Future #16
• Batman #16
• Bullseye #1
• Champions #5
• Cyborg #9
• Deadpool #26
• Deadpool & The Mercs For Money #8
• Fall & Rise of Captain Atom #2
• Ghostbusters Annual 2017
• Green Arrow #16
• Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Prelude #2
• Gwenpool #11
• Harley Quinn #13
• Hawkeye #3
• Justice League #14
• Midnighter & Apollo #5
• Monsters Unleashed #2
• Moon Knight #11
• Nightwing #14
• Old Man Logan #17
• Paper Girls #11
• Slapstick #3
• Spider-Man 2099 #20
• Star Wars #28
• Star Wars: Darth Maul #1
• Superman #16
• True Believers: Wolverine #1
• True Believers: Wolverine vs. Hulk #1
• Unstoppable Wasp #2
• Walking Dead #163

Nobody will read this except maybe tonyxvx, but...

New record of 43 issues from this week:

YC6Z8Cv.jpg

• Batman #17
• Batman/TMNT Adventures #4
• Batwoman Rebirth #1
• Black Panther: World of Wakanda #4
• Captain America: Sam Wilson #19
• Captain America: Steve Rogers #11
• Clone Conspiracy #5
• Daredevil #17
• Deadpool #27
• Doctor Strange #1.MU
• Doctor Strange #17
• Gamora #3
• Green Arrow #17
• Gwenpool #12
• Harley Quinn #14
• Invincible #133
• Invincible Iron Man #4
• Justice League #15
• Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #12
• Mighty Thor #16
• Monsters Unleashed #3
• Nightwing #15
• Odyssey of the Amazons #2
• Old Man Logan #18
• Punisher #9
• Raven #6
• Silk #17
• Spider-Man #13
• Star-Lord #3
• Star Trek: Boldly Go #5
• Star Wars: Poe Dameron #11
• Superman #17
• Super Sons #1
• Trinity #6
• True Believers: Wolverine Enemy of the State #1
• True Believers: Wolverine X-23 #1
• Ultimates 2 #4
• Uncanny Inhumans #19
• Uncanny X-Men #18
• US Avengers #3
• Venom #4
• Walking Dead #164
• WWE #2

Nobody will read this except maybe tonyxvx, but...

New record of 43 issues from this week:

YC6Z8Cv.jpg

• Batman #17
• Batman/TMNT Adventures #4
• Batwoman Rebirth #1
• Black Panther: World of Wakanda #4
• Captain America: Sam Wilson #19
• Captain America: Steve Rogers #11
• Clone Conspiracy #5
• Daredevil #17
• Deadpool #27
• Doctor Strange #1.MU
• Doctor Strange #17
• Gamora #3
• Green Arrow #17
• Gwenpool #12
• Harley Quinn #14
• Invincible #133
• Invincible Iron Man #4
• Justice League #15
• Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #12
• Mighty Thor #16
• Monsters Unleashed #3
• Nightwing #15
• Odyssey of the Amazons #2
• Old Man Logan #18
• Punisher #9
• Raven #6
• Silk #17
• Spider-Man #13
• Star-Lord #3
• Star Trek: Boldly Go #5
• Star Wars: Poe Dameron #11
• Superman #17
• Super Sons #1
• Trinity #6
• True Believers: Wolverine Enemy of the State #1
• True Believers: Wolverine X-23 #1
• Ultimates 2 #4
• Uncanny Inhumans #19
• Uncanny X-Men #18
• US Avengers #3
• Venom #4
• Walking Dead #164
• WWE #2
This is insane. Where do you find the time to read all of these?!

Also, how is WWE? I wanted to grab that but it didn't make the cut.

I usually read 7-10 issues per day. The last couple months, time has become more scarce, so I'm about a month (150 or so issues) behind.

The WWE: Then, Now, Forever special and issue #1 were both excellent. Haven't read #2 yet. You would most likely enjoy the series. April sees the release of a $7.99 "WrestleMania 2017 Special" which looks beautiful as well.

I usually read 7-10 issues per day. The last couple months, time has become more scarce, so I'm about a month (150 or so issues) behind.

The WWE: Then, Now, Forever special and issue #1 were both excellent. Haven't read #2 yet. You would most likely enjoy the series. April sees the release of a $7.99 "WrestleMania 2017 Special" which looks beautiful as well.
Nice, I'll have to check out the trade when that comes. My monthly single issue budget is about $100 or so, but there's just too many good books right now. Every time I look at my sub list and go "Oh okay that's ending" two more new series pop up in its place. It's killing me!

I still read this thread. Just way behind on my reading. Looking forward to Batman #21 and Flash #21 though, plus the Synder and Capullo Dc event coming up.

Just finished finishing Jessica Jones on Netflix after putting it off for a year or two since it never initially interested me. One question for any that watched it...

Why didn't Jessica just knock Kilgrave unconscious at any point in the series? From the very beginning she wanted to capture him to prove the girl's innocence so I can understand her not wanting to kill him however nothing stopped her from being able to walk up to him and knock him the hell out. I actually shook my head when she came to that startling revelation his "weakness" was that anesthetic...no really, he's only unconscious when that's applied to him  so no shit he can't control people in that state. I'm guessing at that point she didn't know he couldn't control her anymore but there were times when she was still in close contact with him where she could have love tapped his ass. After she did realize he couldn't control her anymore AND the girl stupidly decided to die was when it really got old as again there were plenty of chances she could have just knocked him out but instead she never tried.

Just finished finishing Jessica Jones on Netflix after putting it off for a year or two since it never initially interested me. One question for any that watched it...

Why didn't Jessica just knock Kilgrave unconscious at any point in the series? From the very beginning she wanted to capture him to prove the girl's innocence so I can understand her not wanting to kill him however nothing stopped her from being able to walk up to him and knock him the hell out. I actually shook my head when she came to that startling revelation his "weakness" was that anesthetic...no really, he's only unconscious when that's applied to him so no shit he can't control people in that state. I'm guessing at that point she didn't know he couldn't control her anymore but there were times when she was still in close contact with him where she could have love tapped his ass. After she did realize he couldn't control her anymore AND the girl stupidly decided to die was when it really got old as again there were plenty of chances she could have just knocked him out but instead she never tried.
Probably fear of fucking up. Too hard and he would die. Too soft and he would regain control of her. As for why she didn't try after she found out he couldn't control her again, I don't know, I haven't gotten that far.

Been a while since I shared here. This week's pulls:

Q1LanfD.jpg

• Action Comics #977
• Amazing Spider-Man #26
• Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #6
• Batgirl & The Birds of Prey #9
• Black Panther & The Crew #1
• Captain America: Sam Wilson #21
• Charmed #2
• Deadpool & The Mercs For Money #10
• Deadpool vs. Punisher #1
• Detective Comics #954
• Doctor Strange & The Sorcerers Supreme #7
• Flash #20
• Guardians of the Galaxy #19
• Gwenpool #14
• Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps #18
• Justice League of America #4
• Kingpin #3
• Mosaic #7
• New Super-Man #10
• Old Man Logan #21
• Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern #3
• Power Man & Iron Fist #15
• Silver Surfer #10
• Spider-Man 2099 #22
• Star Trek: Boldly Go #7
• Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #6
• Suicide Squad #15
• Supergirl #8
• Titans #10
• True Believers: Cable & New Mutants #1
• True Believers: New Mutants #1
• True Believers: X-Force #1
• Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #19
• Unstoppable Wasp #4
• Weapon X #1
• Wonder Woman #20
• X-Men Blue #1

Here are some $4 Wonder Woman ticket codes to use on the Atom Tickets app, use during checkout:

7ZDQ62 VD7

KWL6GHQ6M

GJI8ZTRQV (third character is either a 1 or uppercase I, too lazy to recheck)

Redeem/use by the 5th 8:59 PM PDT.

Wonder Woman was awesome! I hope the DCEU could turn it around now and really compete with the Marvel Studios movie since they have Jenkins and now Whedon. Still now sure how I feel about the Justice League movie since the trailer didn't look that interesting to me.

Here are some $4 Wonder Woman ticket codes to use on the Atom Tickets app, use during checkout:

7ZDQ62 VD7

KWL6GHQ6M

GJI8ZTRQV (third character is either a 1 or uppercase I, too lazy to recheck)

Redeem/use by the 5th 8:59 PM PDT.
Used the first two, saved me like $30 on date night. Thanks!

Did any of y'all read AD After Death by Snyder and Lemire? I just finished the last one, and damn. It was so weird, but damn was it good. Super interesting take on the graphic novel format, it's easy to see why it took them so many years to make. I'd highly recommend picking up the 3 issues or collected when it comes out if you haven't read it yet.

I'm waiting for the collected graphic novel, I got it preordered for about $14 on amazon. I'm pretty much a fan of everything Scott Synder, very talented writer.

Here are some $4 Transfromers Last Knight Ticket codes, use during checkout on the Atom Tickets app. Use them by the 26th 11:59 eastern.

5MTDDB8X3
417JKQN6D
8L56NWD7T

Don't know where else to put these 
$20 credit for Amazon Music Unlimited
Details/use at https://www.amazon.com/tmobiletuesdays
JCL7-N6QF3Z-FZWEFL
JC5K-VDUFLQ-TS38DP
JCYA-AZ4P4E-HVLC8N

For any CAGs here that buys stuff digitally off Amazon...how often do they have sales on their digital selections and what kind of prices/discounts are we usually looking at? Interested in getting Punisher MAX volumes on there ($12ish at the moment) and am curious what kind of pricing they have them at when on sale. I apparently missed the last one they did on a bunch of Marvel stuff a few months ago and am wondering if the deals are worth waiting for or they very minimal in reduction.

I didn't purchases them but I remembered the last sale. Lowest price I seen was .80 for a complete vol and highest was about $3.40. Very good prices if your a digital person.

Are advertisements on every other page for all Marvel comics? I got 5 issues in the mail and I figured comics were a bit on the short side, but wow. I just got done reading the first Star Wars Obi-Wan and Anakin comic and it is terrible IMHO.

I didn't purchases them but I remembered the last sale. Lowest price I seen was .80 for a complete vol and highest was about $3.40. Very good prices if your a digital person.
Sounds like I'll be waiting then. Thanks for the answer. I'd love to go physical but am lacking space here these days and some of them I imagine are quite costly. Could always view them on the internet through other methods but am in no rush to read the series so probably will just wait.

Just got back from a Midnight release of Dark Nights: Metal, and this book is wild. Best "event" book I've read in a long time, very intriguing to see where it goes from here. Even gonna buy the tie-ins, they actually look interesting.

I feel like DC is taking risks and hitting a major stride right now, and Marvel comics for me is at a huge low. Their movies are obviously great, but man do the comics suffer as a result. Letting Lemire go back to DC I feel like is gonna be a mistake. The DC books he has on the horizon look great, though, so good for us either way. (Also his Image stuff. The first arc of Royal City has me hooked.)

Mr. Miracle #1 was mind blowing, btw. If you haven't bought that book, you gotta buy that book!

I started reading comics books about two years ago so my DC lore isn't that great but I enjoyed Metal #1. Also Scott Snyder called my local comics shop during the midnight release.

For any CAGs here that buys stuff digitally off Amazon...how often do they have sales on their digital selections and what kind of prices/discounts are we usually looking at? Interested in getting Punisher MAX volumes on there ($12ish at the moment) and am curious what kind of pricing they have them at when on sale. I apparently missed the last one they did on a bunch of Marvel stuff a few months ago and am wondering if the deals are worth waiting for or they very minimal in reduction.
I bought a ton of stuff during a recent sale, Punisher included (I was a fan way back when). I am waiting for Locke and Key to go on sale again so I can get collections 3+. Any sale at Amazon/Comixology will have a lot of good deals. The last sale, I basically looked at the collections, and then I looked at reviews and best-of lists. Haven't been disappointed so far. I also got a lot of Usagi Yojimbo collections, because that was the first comic I really dug, and because they were super cheap for a lot of Usagi.

bread's done
Back