Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Has anyone been keeping up with the Infinite Crisis comic, either in print or digital? Just wondering how good it is. I read the first digital chapter and it was too short to really judge the series, but I wasn't particularly invested in the set-up. I heard great things about Abnett and Lanning books, but nothing about Abnett's solo work. My hope was that this series would at least be as daring as Injustice.

Last edited by a moderator:
thursday-everyone-was-trying-to-get-a-glimpse-of-this-realistic-embodiment-of-the-next-x-men-movie-villain-apocalypse.jpg

Has anyone been keeping up with the Infinite Crisis comic, either in print or digital? Just wondering how good it is. I read the first digital chapter and it was too short to really judge the series, but I wasn't particularly invested in the set-up. I heard great things about Abnett and Lanning books, but nothing about Abnett's solo work. My hope was that this series would at least be as daring as Injustice.
Are you a member of comicbookresources.com? It's a good site to get feedback like that. I like to roam the Collected Editions forum since I'm more into collecting HC's.

fucking awesome.....

Just got back from Dragon Con. That con is so fucking awesome.
I've heard great things about Dragon Con.

Are you a member of comicbookresources.com? It's a good site to get feedback like that. I like to roam the Collected Editions forum since I'm more into collecting HC's.

fucking awesome.....

I've heard great things about Dragon Con.
Nope, never heard of it. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

There's another Infinite Crisis? At the comic book store I go to, there's just a ton of Countdowns. I'm surprised that didn't lead to the Universe remaking itself.

So, Batman Eternal is kicking ass right now. Batwing isn't a character I've ever particularly liked, but the recent scenes with him and Jim Corrigan have been my favorite parts. Harper's Grifter mask cracked me up as well when she first wore it. That character is really growing on me.

Still haven't dropped Futures End, and I'm glad. Yeah, it's slow, but everything they're setting up is intriguing as hell. It's really cool seeing Emiko and Diggle working together after Lemire's Green Arrow run has ended. I've even become fine with Terry's over-hyped role in it being underused at the moment. I'm sure Batman Beyond will get his time to shine eventually.

There's another Infinite Crisis? At the comic book store I go to, there's just a ton of Countdowns. I'm surprised that didn't lead to the Universe remaking itself.
It's a prequel to the free-to-play DC PC game Infinite Crisis. I forget the exact title of the comic. Something along the lines of Infinite Crisis: something something Multiverse. It's basically just crazy variations on DC characters from different universes (and established Elseworlds books, like Gotham by Gaslight) mashing together. Each issue even gives you a free character to unlock in the game to use.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of speculating since the market has changed. I bought the first comic appearance of Rocket Raccoon for $2 or $3 at a comic store when I heard they were coming out with a Guardians movie. Of course the ONLY issue I need of Marvel Super Heroes is the Guardians of the Galaxy 1st appearance. I could never find one in fine or better shape for less than $5, so I never bought it.

I've been buying up a few different 1st appearances of upcoming characters since I usually find nice copies in the 25-50 cent bins. I started speculating/capitalizing once I realized I could sell Hardware #1 for $15 an issue when Dwayne Mcduffie died.

I don't think I have that heatwave issue, but I tend to buy any Silver Age Flash issue even if it is beat because I always liked the silver age Flash.

So Guardians out grossed Man of Steel domestically in the box office and still has yet to open in China and Japan. Never would've imagined that really...well, ever.

I'm curious if this may change their "no fun" policy for their DC titles.

So Guardians out grossed Man of Steel domestically in the box office and still has yet to open in China and Japan. Never would've imagined that really...well, ever.

I'm curious if this may change their "no fun" policy for their DC titles.
I haven't seen GotG, but I would assume the fact that it's probably a better movie then Man of Steel as a more major factor for it's success.

Yup with Akiva Goldman acting as producer it seems who is best known for writing Fringe, Cinderella Man, I, Robot, I Am Legend...

Oh and Batman and Robin and Batman Forever.
The good episodes of Fringe or the bad episodes? To be honest though, the rest of them negates any good episodes of Fringe that may have been written. I guess that can be thrown up as a fail before hand like Gotham is looking to be.

The good episodes of Fringe or the bad episodes? To be honest though, the rest of them negates any good episodes of Fringe that may have been written. I guess that can be thrown up as a fail before hand like Gotham is looking to be.
He produced all the episodes and I guess wrote a few episodes from around 2009-2012.

Also I'm surprised at all the positive buzz toward Gotham considering I fucking hate all the advertising it's done.

He produced all the episodes and I guess wrote a few episodes from around 2009-2012.

Also I'm surprised at all the positive buzz toward Gotham considering I fucking hate all the advertising it's done.
I think all the positive buzz is coming from people seeing "BATMAN YAY!" If that show works it'll be because of Donal Logue and Ben McKenzie. The rest seems to be shite.

I think all the positive buzz is coming from people seeing "BATMAN YAY!" If that show works it'll be because of Donal Logue and Ben McKenzie. The rest seems to be shite.
I'll watch it, but man...I Hate all the "BEFORE..." crap. I Do agree on Gordon and Bullock being the main draws. I Give no shit about where or how everyone came to be or coming to realization that Batman is basically beating up on abunch of people twice his age or grandpa age once he dons the cowl.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Titans show, assuming it makes it past the pilot stage. I'm a little confused about it being on TNT though. Aside from Falling Skies, I can't think of anything outside of typical dramas and/or cop shows that are on the channel. A superhero team show seems like an odd fit, but I suppose it's a major bandwagon to hop aboard right now.

Still, a campy Teen Titans show wouldn't be the worst thing they could do, as long as it doesn't go too far into that territory. I don't have a major connection to any of those characters though. I'm assuming Superboy is out of the question. Kid Flash or Impulse too, I'd assume, simply because of The Flash on the CW. Cyborg seems queued up for the Justice League movie, so even he will probably sit this show out.

My only real hope is that they include some live-action versions of characters from Young Justice, like Artemis Crock (either as Artemis or Tigress, doesn't matter to me) and the Kaldur'ahm Aqualad. Can't tell whether he or Garth is more likely. Have they even re-introduced Garth anywhere in the New 52 yet? I vaguely remember a flashback early in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

I wonder where they'd slot a show like that.  Like you say it doesn't really fit their usual lineup.  Friday or the weekend?

Did anyone here enjoy the Teen Titans that aired on CN a few years back?  I've always been partial to that show.

I wonder where they'd slot a show like that. Like you say it doesn't really fit their usual lineup. Friday or the weekend?

Did anyone here enjoy the Teen Titans that aired on CN a few years back? I've always been partial to that show.
I wasn't much of a fan when it originally aired, but I caught most of it in reruns on Boomerang some time ago and have really grown to love it. I still say that is the most sinister version of Deathstroke so far, thanks to Ron Perlman's vocal peformance.

Anyhoo, has anyone been keeping up with the live-action Nightwing fan series? Not the Earth 2 version from a while back (which I somewhat enjoyed) but rather a newer one which came from a successful kickstarter. The acting is par for the course with fan-made projects, but it has some really great production value. I'm looking forward to the first episode after this trailer.

http://youtu.be/EhHoUGlTFEo

So I was wondering.  Does there exist a digital comic equivalent too Enhanced Steam, ISTD.com or similar add-ons/sites?  I'm not really much of a digital purchaser, but if there was a good enough sale on something I was curios about I'd most likely jump at it.

I can't comment on the quality of these events but thought these Amazon prices were pretty good:

Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Verse HC $26.44 (regular $75; releases April 21)

Original Sin HC $33.90 (regular $75, releases Nov 4)

I can't comment on the quality of these events but thought these Amazon prices were pretty good:

Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Verse HC $26.44 (regular $75; releases April 21)

Original Sin HC $33.90 (regular $75, releases Nov 4)
I've seen alot of people over at CBR taking advantage of pre-order's like this, especially Marvel fans. When it's listed, if it has a low price, pre-order it. At some point MSRP goes up to match normal Marvel pricing. If you're lucky, you'll be locked into the pre-order price and get a steal.

I got the spider-verse HC pre-ordered and saw they had pre-orders for Superman Earth One Vol 3, Batman Earth One Vol 2 and Teen Titans Earth One Vol 1 so I picked all those up as well.

I collected comics as a kid up until 1996 or so. Fell back in love with superheroes due to the Spider-Man and X-Men films 14 years ago. I've watched all the Marvel/DC films and most of the live and animated series since that time.

However, I hadn't actually bought a comic book since 1996. Got a few random books on Free Comic Book Day this year. Finally went and bought Batman & Robin: Futures End #1 with the 3D cover. Was going to pick up Death of Wolverine #1, but that was sold out.

I collected comics as a kid up until 1996 or so. Fell back in love with superheroes due to the Spider-Man and X-Men films 14 years ago. I've watched all the Marvel/DC films and most of the live and animated series since that time.

However, I hadn't actually bought a comic book since 1996. Got a few random books on Free Comic Book Day this year. Finally went and bought Batman & Robin: Futures End #1 with the 3D cover. Was going to pick up Death of Wolverine #1, but that was sold out.
Ever think about branching out from DC/Marvel? There's a lot of good titles being done by other publishers. I'm no expert though so I can probably only name a few off-hand.

PS: I can't believe it's been that long since those movies started coming out. Time is a scary thing sometimes.

And it'll be on Hulu tomorrow as well. Eitherway I'll watch it...eventually.

Also going through alot DC stuff I've bought in the past year, man. I'm still bummed Resurrection Man got cancelled.

Gotham was surprisingly entertaining. It has some cheese, sure, but the tone was good. Either those early script reviews were exaggerated or the director of the pilot simply knew what he was doing, because the more groan-worthy ideas (a certain enigmatic forensics guy presenting evidence via riddles) were handled very well. Even the scene with the comedian wasn't as terrible as I had imagined.

I just hope Alfred gets more to say and do as the show goes forward. Also, it probably won't happen... but man, I'd love for them to introduce Bruce's best friend Tommy Elliot onto the show. Part of me still wishes Kevin Smith's and Paul Dini's Shadow of the Bat idea would have made it to television, but Gotham ain't bad so far.   

I was also pleasantly surprised. Pretty entertaining. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I know it won't happen, but I'd lose it if Montoya becomes The Question.

I usually hate everything that adapts comics, but yeah gotham was surprisingly decent.

I like the look of the show. It is similar to the Batman Animated universe, but it is almost like it is the 70s in that setting. Like a 70s steam punk universe with mobile phones. IDK if that makes sense to anyone, but that it what it felt like to me. Just the overall look, feel, and the characters (for the most part) seem to fit their roles. I like Gordan, Bruce, Alfred, and Jimmy the Cab driver (IDK if anyone knows what I am talking about).

I personally can't sit through wb superhero shows. They seem like they are Christian programming or something. So I am glad this is on FOX and has an edge. If it had the WB cheese, it wouldn't have liked it.

complaints:

I am not sure is Fish Mooney is anything other than a character they added in for diversity.

Catwoman is a little too catlike.

It is a little ridiculous that everyone is intertwined in one of the highest populated cities in the world.

I was thinking the same thing about the intertwined nature of this alternate universe. Too many characters introduced in the first episode and all connected to each other. It just so happens Selina Kyle was in that alley. It just so happens Poison Ivy's father was framed for the murder. It just so happens that (maybe) the man who becomes The Joke was auditioning at the club.

Ever think about branching out from DC/Marvel? There's a lot of good titles being done by other publishers. I'm no expert though so I can probably only name a few off-hand.

PS: I can't believe it's been that long since those movies started coming out. Time is a scary thing sometimes.
Sure, but I wouldn't really know where to start. The Walking Dead is something I want to check out. Also, in contrast, there have been TV shows that I have enjoyed which have had their stories continue on in comic form. Star Wars stuff interests me, but that's Marvel now as well.

I really don't know what I am looking for, nor do I know how frequently I'll be able to buy comics considering my video game buying habit, but I'm open to suggestions.

Sure, but I wouldn't really know where to start. The Walking Dead is something I want to check out. Also, in contrast, there have been TV shows that I have enjoyed which have had their stories continue on in comic form. Star Wars stuff interests me, but that's Marvel now as well.

I really don't know what I am looking for, nor do I know how frequently I'll be able to buy comics considering my video game buying habit, but I'm open to suggestions.
Go to the library. Most of them have an extensive section of trade paperbacks. In most areas library cards are free or rolled into property taxes. At the very least you could page through them there and see what appeals to you.

Here is my go to list for more "recent" stuff:

Walking Dead

Y the Last Man

izombie (if you like pop art/light reading)

the darkhorse star wars series are good and they are somewhat self contained in 4-6 issue arcs.

I usually hate everything that adapts comics, but yeah gotham was surprisingly decent.

I like the look of the show. It is similar to the Batman Animated universe, but it is almost like it is the 70s in that setting. Like a 70s steam punk universe with mobile phones. IDK if that makes sense to anyone, but that it what it felt like to me. Just the overall look, feel, and the characters (for the most part) seem to fit their roles. I like Gordan, Bruce, Alfred, and Jimmy the Cab driver (IDK if anyone knows what I am talking about).

I personally can't sit through wb superhero shows. They seem like they are Christian programming or something. So I am glad this is on FOX and has an edge. If it had the WB cheese, it wouldn't have liked it.

complaints:

I am not sure is Fish Mooney is anything other than a character they added in for diversity.

Catwoman is a little too catlike.

It is a little ridiculous that everyone is intertwined in one of the highest populated cities in the world.
I had the same complaint about Catgirl. Either she went overboard with the cat-like mannerisms, or was directed to do so. Either way it was kinda goofy, but not a huge problem.

I get the feeling Fish Mooney will only be around for this first season. I doubt Penguin will rise to power by the end of it, but someone will knock her off. I'd be very surprised if Jada Pinkett-Smith sticks around for very long on a show like this, unless she's having a ton of fun with the character.

The GCPD set was my favorite part of the pilot. It had a great look to it. The executive producer of the show actually mentioned that they were trying to create a timeless world such as the one in BTAS, even making sure mobile phones are always limited to flip phones rather than smartphones. Like you said, I think they succeeded.

I thought Falcone killed off Fish Mooney, considering all of her men got killed.

I agree with the GCPD set. It looks like it came out of the 70s, and it's hilarious that despite thin flip phones, they still have CRT monitors.

They must've hired the actress for Selina Kyle because she looks so much like Catwoman in Batman Returns. We've yet to see any sort of chemistry between her and Bruce, but there's always time.

Didn't care too much for the berserk prisoner scene, since it has been used a few times. That scene where Gordon was running in the sweatshop was a bit weird, and the director could've used another method of him being in Fish's sights besides that odd lens.

My daughter has been bugging me to watch Spider-Man so we caught a few episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man and it's not as bad as I originally thought. I like how they're using current story elements instead of recycling the same ol' stuff. (ie Guardians of the Galaxy, Venom/Flash, etc) The goofy stuff didn't bug me as much as I thought it would and I actually chuckled a few times. And it's something I can watch with my daughter so that's a plus.

Now I noticed they're doing Spider-verse episodes where he meets a bunch of other Spideys like Miles and 2099. It looked interesting so I'm game.

bread's done
Back