Conference watch: Nintendo JPN Fall 2007 Conference (DS DEMO CHANNEL, SONIC IN SMASH)

[quote name='dothog']2 Wheels vs. 4 Wheels. Granted there were some that broke the mold in DS but they were so-called extras.

I understand people think the game is "stale," but then so is fighting in Smash Bros. and jumping in Super Mario. I propose arm wrestling for the former and goomba slapping for the latter.

Believe it or not there's a community of karters who admire the controls of the recent versions, MKDD especially, and feel they extend the game beyond multiplayer races and make time trialing a rewarding pasttime. The ill-advised second racer in MKDD thankfully didn't jeopardize that control--my concern is that the game control won't be preserved in MK Wii with all the new stuff tossed in (cycles, stunts, and most importantly motion control).

I guess there's always KartRider, though it doesn't control nearly as well as MKDD.[/quote]NO. So wrong.

Mario gets brand new worlds, and big new gameplay mechanics.
Smash is barely getting it's 3rd title, and it looks to shake things up a bit.

Mario Kart.
Same damn thing.
At least Double Dash had the double feature, but MK DS was nothing new.

[quote name='dallow']NO. So wrong.

Mario Kart.
Same damn thing.
At least Double Dash had the double feature, but MK DS was nothing new.[/QUOTE]
DS was awesome simply because it focused on karting, new tracks, improved battle, and fun, all the while including online play. If you think DS was a step down because it didn't include some throwaway trick, you're wrong. MKDS did everything right IMO and felt like something "new" to me. If karting on the DS didn't kill my hands I'd consider it my personal favorite.

There's a way to maintain the MK series so that it improves on its core (for the sake of devoted fans) while still having fun additions (for casual fans). I would think motion control, 12P online play, and some new characters/karts/tracks would be more than enough to keep casual fans happy. In the meantime they could refine the game control and offer a variety of control input to keep the core karter happy. Instead it looks like they're "opening up" the game and stiffing devoted fans.

SSBB is the perfect example of how you can improve a series in every respect in that you build on the core of the game while adding lots of new features to interest casual fans. I strongly disagree with the notion that MK Wii couldn't follow the SSBB model. What's being done doesn't appear to be fair to people who've closely followed the series and played each of its games extensively (to the point of obsession as devoted fans of other games do). I guess we'll have to see how the game turns out this spring.

/MKWii

[quote name='dallow']NO. So wrong.

Mario Kart.
Same damn thing.
At least Double Dash had the double feature, but MK DS was nothing new.[/QUOTE]

Which is what made it great. Look at NSMB, it was just a classic 2D platformer, sure there were some bells and whistles, but the fact that it added nothing new to the series made it great.

[quote name='Super Maio Fan']Which is what made it great. Look at NSMB, it was just a classic 2D platformer, sure there were some bells and whistles, but the fact that it added nothing new to the series made it great.[/quote]And finally Mario Kart is getting some bells and whistles.

Thank goodness.

[quote name='dothog']DS was awesome simply because it focused on karting, new tracks, improved battle, and fun, all the while including online play. If you think DS was a step down because it didn't include some throwaway trick, you're wrong. MKDS did everything right IMO and felt like something "new" to me. If karting on the DS didn't kill my hands I'd consider it my personal favorite.

There's a way to maintain the MK series so that it improves on its core (for the sake of devoted fans) while still having fun additions (for casual fans). I would think motion control, 12P online play, and some new characters/karts/tracks would be more than enough to keep casual fans happy. In the meantime they could refine the game control and offer a variety of control input to keep the core karter happy. Instead it looks like they're "opening up" the game and stiffing devoted fans.

SSBB is the perfect example of how you can improve a series in every respect in that you build on the core of the game while adding lots of new features to interest casual fans. I strongly disagree with the notion that MK Wii couldn't follow the SSBB model. What's being done doesn't appear to be fair to people who've closely followed the series and played each of its games extensively (to the point of obsession as devoted fans of other games do). I guess we'll have to see how the game turns out this spring.

/MKWii[/quote]MK DS wasn't a step down. Just a step sideways. As usual.

I should note that I've played the hell out of every Mario Kart.
But c'mon.

If they made a MKDS 2, it'd be the first one in the series that I wouldn't purchase. I'm just tired of the same old thing.
I wasn't even excited about about the Wii version until I found out about the stunts, and 12 player online.

And now bikes?

Yes yes and yes.

[quote name='dmaul1114'] Possible delay on smash bros is sucky as well[/QUOTE]
It's not a "possible delay." Brawl is officially delayed until at least January 24, 2008 (and that's for Japan, so it'll probably be even later for the US).

I have no problem with the bikes etc. I've just hate the tilt racing controls in every racing game I've tried on the Wii, so I'm very skeptical about those.

Cool...DS Demo Channel. It's about time! Mario Baseball might be good...I never played the GC one though. Keep it up ninty!

[quote name='jkam']Cool...DS Demo Channel. It's about time! Mario Baseball might be good...I never played the GC one though. Keep it up ninty![/quote]It was developed by Namco and bad.
Lots of glitches and just not fun for a sports Nintendo game.
Hope this one is much improved.

How will the DS Demo channel work I wonder?:whistle2:k

But it sounds cool and I can finally kick Sonic's ass for being in so many shitty games.

[quote name='Vinny']How will the DS Demo channel work I wonder?:whistle2:k
[/QUOTE]

The DS and Wii have the ability to connect wirelessly, so it will just transfer the data that way. Log on to the channel to start the process, then synch up the DS.

[quote name='Vinny']How will the DS Demo channel work I wonder?:whistle2:k

But it sounds cool and I can finally kick Sonic's ass for being in so many shitty games.[/quote]

I bet the channel will be like a mini Wii Shop. The demo channel itself will hold all of the current DS demos. You select which demo you want and it will be downloaded as another channel. You launch that channel and it will send the demo to your DS.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's not a "possible delay." Brawl is officially delayed until at least January 24, 2008 (and that's for Japan, so it'll probably be even later for the US).[/quote]Odd because there was no release date for Brawl in Japan, that I'm aware, but if they had one, it would most certainly have been after 12/3. For the US, it's "TBD" at the moment. It's much more important that they get it out in December in the US than in Japan, but at the same time I'm assuming it's best for everyone if they delay it as long as necessary given that it's likely the only SSB title for the next 5 or 6 years. But I'm not a Smash fanatic, so maybe I'm wrong.

Disaster: Day of Crisis- More Here:

thumb_50981520071010_165723_2_big.jpg

Battallion Wars 2- More Here:

thumb_53751520071010_132016_2_big.jpg

Wii Music

Super Mario Stadium Baseball- More Here:

thumb_61381520071010_153729_1_big.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy

http://www.jeux-france.com/news22177_mario-kart-wii-avec-des-motos-.html
Mario Kart: More through the link.

[quote name='botticus']Odd because there was no release date for Brawl in Japan, that I'm aware, but if they had one, it would most certainly have been after 12/3. For the US, it's "TBD" at the moment. It's much more important that they get it out in December in the US than in Japan, but at the same time I'm assuming it's best for everyone if they delay it as long as necessary given that it's likely the only SSB title for the next 5 or 6 years. But I'm not a Smash fanatic, so maybe I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]
You're seriously fooling yourself if you think it's going to somehow come out at least a month earlier in the US than in Japan. What on Earth makes you think that's possible?

It's delayed, dude, deal with it.

[quote name='lebowsky']I bet the channel will be like a mini Wii Shop. The demo channel itself will hold all of the current DS demos. You select which demo you want and it will be downloaded as another channel. You launch that channel and it will send the demo to your DS.[/QUOTE]I hope not. A new channel for each DS demo would be a hassle.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You're seriously fooling yourself if you think it's going to somehow come out at least a month earlier in the US than in Japan. What on Earth makes you think that's possible?

It's delayed, dude, deal with it.[/quote]::shrugs:: Possible in the same way the Wii was launched in NA almost 3 weeks before Japan.

[quote name='MisterHand']I hope not. A new channel for each DS demo would be a hassle.[/quote]

Well they could just emulate the way they currently do it and release a DS demo channel that has all of the current DS demos on it. If they chose to do it that way, you would need to download a new channel each time a new DS demo compilation came out.

The example I gave previously would allow them to house all of the demos in one place instead of spreading them among multiple demo channels.

I just had a horrible realization, terrifying for all it implies.

I'm going to buy Wii Fit.

Also, those new shots of Galaxy and Day of Crisis look pretty solid.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You're seriously fooling yourself if you think it's going to somehow come out at least a month earlier in the US than in Japan. What on Earth makes you think that's possible?

It's delayed, dude, deal with it.[/quote]There have been plenty of games that are separated by wider margins than a month so far with the Wii (i.e. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Metroid, BBA, Wii Fit off the top of my head). So it's possible. Beyond that, I have "dealt" with it.

This whole confrontational deal you have about everything is kind of annoying, you know?

Just browsed the OP, but I'm glad to see official announcement of a DS Demo Channel. Sad to see Brawl most likely delayed in the US as well.

And mad that Sonic is in Brawl. Lame!

monster hunter 3 on the wii is a testament to how big nintendo has become since the last gen, thats huge for japan.

fire emblem ds was inevitable, but im glad nonetheless, i cant wait in fact.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29464

High PS3 costs prompt Capcom to move to Wii

Matt Martin 15:53 (BST) 10/10/2007
Monster Hunter 3 now a Nintendo exclusive
Capcom has said that the high development costs of working on the PlayStation 3 are the reason the publisher is moving its latest Monster Hunter title to the Nintendo Wii.
Previous Monster Hunter games were Sony exclusives for the PS2 and PSP, and the company has enjoyed considerable success with the franchise clocking up sales of over 4.5 million units.
"Due to high development cost of titles for PS3, we have decided to switch the platform to which we release our Monster Hunter 3 title," said Katsuhiko Ichii, Capcom's managing corporate officer, according to Thompson Financial.
Capcom revealed Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii at a recent Nintendo press briefing, although it had originally said the game would appear on the PlayStation 3.
The publisher said earlier this month that it was now shifting its development strategy for Sony products to the PlayStation 3, where previously it had dedicated the majority of its efforts on the PlayStation 2.

Now we know why.

Ok Dr Mii-rio (bwahahaha) looks really awesome. Ya know what's even funnier? They will still release the NES version! :bomb:

But that looks cool.
All of these WiiWare channels are nice..but I'm trying not to get too excited. ..You know they are gonna cost us some monies.. :(

FFCC trailer (not much, but I see a building being created at the least - and dancing moogles)

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=WIBEUQlYhDU[/media]

[quote name='Zen Davis']This is really the conference that should have been held at E3.
first-look-super-mario-stadium-baseball-20071010082328080.jpg

[/quote]

Ugh, I know it's Mario, but ever heard of a Batters-eye Nintendo? The background of this stadium has too much shit going on and looks as if it will be tough to pick up the ball. Who knows though, it probably won't be, just my imagination. Still, that is one ugly looking stadium. I would like to see some more classic looking stadiums with a Mario twist to them.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo has a permanent rape-hole in my wallet's ass.[/QUOTE]

Thank God I'm not a kid anymore. My parents would have NEVER bought all the cool Nintendo stuff coming out that I'm probably going to buy.

Whoa. Did anyone notice in the Mario Kart video there were 12 racers? I think that pretty much confirms it...

[quote name='lilboo']Ok Dr Mii-rio (bwahahaha) looks really awesome. Ya know what's even funnier? They will still release the NES version! :bomb:

But that looks cool.
All of these WiiWare channels are nice..but I'm trying not to get too excited. ..You know they are gonna cost us some monies.. :([/quote]

I would have gone with Dr. MarWii-o. ;)

But seriously, Dr. Mario is my wife's all-time favorite game, so she will be stoked for this.

What's with the Miis on wheels shooting balls? Miignetica?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Is it just me or does MarioKart Wii have, like, the worst shadows ever?

59811520071010_145116_1_big.jpg
[/quote]

Perhaps they're striving for SNES authenticity in that level. ;)

[quote name='evilmax17']Anybody know the start time for the NA conference?[/QUOTE]

It's supposedly under a NDA.

Is it really in 10 min? And if so, does anyone want to start some sort of chat room somewherez?

Also, how in the hell did I miss that Wiiware titles sport Wifi play?

Please - please - make this easy to implement, Nintendo.

There won't be any news coming out.
NDA.

I doubt they have anything of worth to share other than release dates.
NOJ already spilled the beans on everything.

[quote name='Strell']Also, how in the hell did I miss that Wiiware titles sport Wifi play?[/QUOTE]

Holy crapz.

[quote name='dallow']There won't be any news coming out.
NDA.

I doubt they have anything of worth to share other than release dates.
NOJ already spilled the beans on everything.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh.

Well dammit, I just want update on Smash date anyway.

bread's done
Back