Conference watch: Nintendo JPN Fall 2007 Conference (DS DEMO CHANNEL, SONIC IN SMASH)

[quote name='Strell']Ahhhhh.

Well dammit, I just want update on Smash date anyway.[/QUOTE]

TY!!!!! After watching that new video and hearing Peach do a "Wa~Cha!!"..and I guess her new taunt is singing? Because she was shaking her ass at Bowser & music notes were coming out.

That, right here made me realize "fuck. I need this game NOW"

But on discussion of Peach's new taunt (if it's that) it makes me wonder if Strell had anything to do with it. Is she just swaying her hips and saying "I WANT TO MUSIC" ??? :whistle2:k

[quote name='dallow']Me too.

oct10hiro.gif
[/QUOTE]

IWATA DROPPEN ZAL BOMBEN

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I really, really hope they use Sonic to his full advantage as far as recapturing the magic of yesteryear/nostalgia. I want his stage to be something old school, not out of a recent stage. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't cop out with Green Hill Zone although it wouldn't be too horrible if they did.[/QUOTE]

Chemical Plant, with Eggman weeving in and out of the stage would fucking rock faces.

Imagine just fighting on the stage, then all of a sudden the Sonic 2 boss music kicks in and out of no where Eggman shows up!

[quote name='The Crotch']I'd argue with you, but we all know Linkin Prime doesn't allow shit like that.[/quote]Uh oh, you said the S word.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I really, really hope they use Sonic to his full advantage as far as recapturing the magic of yesteryear/nostalgia. I want his stage to be something old school, not out of a recent stage. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't cop out with Green Hill Zone although it wouldn't be too horrible if they did.[/quote]

Starlight Zone and Angel Island (that is set on fire midway through the stage, and has the Flying Battery dropping bombs) would rock.

I REALLY REALLY hope that Squeenix didn't abandon this beauty
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_Ej2fU42M[/media]

I hope the WiiWare FF:CC is just a separate online multiplayer game akin to the GCN version, because that old trailer really got my hopes up.

Wow... Just, wow...

...glad to contribute!

On a serious note, I am a bit upset about the SSBB delay if it happens here too - my son's birthday was the very day the game was set to be released (Dec 3) at least according to EB/GS and all the game sites. It was going to be the absolute most perfect birthday present for him, as he still plays SSBM on a consistent basis (and put more time into it then me and the other kids combined). Late January just kind of hoses it all up, though my other son's birthday is in early Feb.

[quote name='whoknows']So...how much of this stuff is happening this year?[/QUOTE]
Not much.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I REALLY REALLY hope that Squeenix didn't abandon this beauty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_Ej2fU42M

I hope the WiiWare FF:CC is just a separate online multiplayer game akin to the GCN version, because that old trailer really got my hopes up.[/QUOTE]
They're two separate games, as far as I can tell. That game you linked a trailer of is called Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, and is still in development as a boxed title as far as I know, and the WiiWare game is called Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Little/Young King and the Promised Land.

I'm probably more looking forward to the WiiWare game now, because it's actually a sequel to the GCN original, which I loved dearly, whereas The Crystal Bearers, while nice looking, appears to be a completely different game in many respects.

LMFAO, this is from NeoGAF:

sonicthename.jpg

I just can't get over how pissed off Mario looks in the first panel. It would make a perfect avatar.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Not much.

They're two separate games, as far as I can tell. That game you linked a trailer of is called Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, and is still in development as a boxed title as far as I know, and the WiiWare game is called Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Little/Young King and the Promised Land.

I'm probably more looking forward to the WiiWare game now, because it's actually a sequel to the GCN original, which I loved dearly, whereas The Crystal Bearers, while nice looking, appears to be a completely different game in many respects.[/quote]

I watched the translated version of the conference and Iwata says that they are completely separate games. He mentioned that they both take place in the Crystal Chronicles series, but that the Crystal Bearers will be a regular retail game.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826577p1.html

IGN's liveblogging the event.

Also note that some games from today's event are under embargo until next week and will therefore not be covered in today's live blog.

9:15 a.m.: Talking about Smash Bros. delay. Smash Bros. delayed officially here in the US until Sunday, Feb. 10!
9:16 a.m.: Smash Bros. will have full Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities. Lots of new levels and many new characters, including Sonic the Hedgehog. A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like.
9:19 a.m.: Wii library will see 86 new releases this holiday compared to 47 for Xbox 360 and 38 for PlayStation 3.

9:17 a.m.: Been making more Wii systems. Demand continues to surprise Nintendo. Consumers will still have to "hustle" to find the system this year. Will have about two times the product they had last year.
9:22 a.m.: Nintendo boots up Super Mario Galaxy. Looks like you can store at least six save files. Game is "basically" in its retail form.
9:34 a.m.: Boots Zelda Crossbow Training. Holding Wii Zapper in both hands, Nintendo rep is ready to rock. Three different types of gameplay. Score attack. Multiplayer, etc. First stage is Ordon Target Practice. You merely shoot the targets as they pop up. Nunchuk's z-trigger is a zoom function. The premise may not make the most sense in the world -- Link isn't exactly known for his crossbow -- but whatever, this still looks pretty cool. Running on Twilight Princess engine with an identical visual style. Targets pop up around the lush green environment. You can shoot signs and pumpkins when you're not crowssbowing targets. You can also shoot chickens, but you'll take a point loss. D'oh!

9:37 a.m.: In Stalfos Defender, you see Link in the foreground as Stalfos approach nearby. You have to shoot as many of them as you can. You can turn the screen by dragging the on-screen reticule to the left or right. Very satisfying effect as you blow the enemies apart. For a $19.99 pack-in, this is pretty impressive stuff. Indeed, looks much more fun than Umbrella Chronicles, as far as I'm concerned.

9:38 a.m.: In another type of gameplay style, you actually move Link through the levels with the nunchuk's analog stick and aim normally with the Zapper. You have full freedom of movement and can walk into any direction. Meanwhile, you can zoom in and pick off enemies from a distance, shoot boxes for upgrades, etc. When you shoot something other than an enemy, you still keep your multiplier. Again, color me pleasantly surprised.
9:41 a.m.: Demonstration ends. Now, Nintendo is booting up Super Smash Bros. Brawl. We see a character screen with Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, Sonic, Bowser and a random button. Nintendo talks about the four different control schemes, which are fully customizable.

9:42 a.m.: For the purposes of today's demoes, matches will be set to two-minute timers with items turned on. Using classic controller, you'll use the analog stick to move. D-Pad to taunt.

9:44 a.m.: Match is up and running with very little (maybe no) load times. Game is running 60 frames per second and full 480p widescreen. Looks really crisp, clean, sharp. Smash Balls randomly appear on-screen. They'll float around and you'll have to pound on them for awhile before they release their special abilities. This is demonstrated as Samus and Mario duke it out. Samus gains her special ability and blasts Mario with a super shot that fills the entire screen. Afterward, Aran turns into Zero Suit Samus.

9:46 a.m.: Wii remote held classically simplifies the controls. Move with the D-Pad. Shield attack is mapped to the B-trigger, which takes the most getting used to.

9:47 a.m.: Link and Sonic are now fighting in the Star Fox level. Wow. The ship is flying through wormholes as you battle. Other craft soar by in the foreground and background. Extremely gorgeous. So clean and amazingly fast with detailed particle effects exploding in every direction. The game is going to be an addiction, plain and simple. Sonic becomes Super Sonic, "which basically means he can just fly around and pummel me at will," explains Nintendo rep.

9:49 a.m.: They just asked for volunteers and I politely volunteered Bozon. I also told him that if he didn't win, he's fired.

9:51 a.m.: Boz chooses Pikachu. He's playing Chris Kohler from Wired. Whoever wins, the audience loses.

9:52 a.m.: After much procrastination, the match begins. Pikachu versus Pit versus Donkey Kong. Boz better win, or else...

9:53: Playing to the backdrop of Twilight Princess' bridge. I hear a lot of "Pika! Pika!" Doesn't look good for old Boz, though. Eight seconds left. Five. Four. Three. Two One. End. Pikachu comes in last place. So very, very sad.

Seems to be it. Not much

86 new titles huh? And how many of those games are complete garbage?

I know that I personally can't wait for Dancing with the Stars, Cruis'n, and Jenga!

:roll:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']86 new titles huh? And how many of those games are complete garbage?

I know that I personally can't wait for Dancing with the Stars, Cruis'n, and Jenga!

:roll:[/QUOTE]

The most popular system of the moment always gets shovelware.

I didn't hear people complaining with the PS2.

It doesn't diminish the games you'd actually play.

You've made this comment about three times today.

[quote name='Strell']The most popular system of the moment always gets shovelware.

You've made this comment about three times today.[/quote]

QFfuckingT

The system with the biggest install base always gets the most shovelware. If you have 10 million people and you throw a lot of shit out there, it is going to stick to enough of them to make it worth the (minimal) effort.

Look at the DS. Over half of the software sucks. REALLY sucks. That doesn't mean that the good games are less good or that the hardware itself has problems.

EDIT: The Smash Brothers delay sucks major balls though.

Yeah who cares about shovelware. I just skip it, and play the good games.

I'm just still lamenting the fact that they're still not showing anything beyond Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros that's an absolute must buy type of game for me.

9:56 a.m.: Looks like the gameplay demonstrations are at an end and thus, so is this live blog. Look out for Smash Bros. coverage later today, but you'll have to wait on the rest.

9:53: Playing to the backdrop of Twilight Princess' bridge. I hear a lot of "Pika! Pika!" Doesn't look good for old Boz, though. Eight seconds left. Five. Four. Three. Two One. End. Pikachu comes in last place. So very, very sad. 9:52 a.m.: After much procrastination, the match begins. Pikachu versus Pit versus Donkey Kong. Boz better win, or else...

9:51 a.m.: Boz chooses Pikachu. He's playing Chris Kohler from Wired. Whoever wins, the audience loses. 9:49 a.m.: They just asked for volunteers and I politely volunteered Bozon. I also told him that if he didn't win, he's fired.
9:47 a.m.: Link and Sonic are now fighting in the Star Fox level. Wow. The ship is flying through wormholes as you battle. Other craft soar by in the foreground and background. Extremely gorgeous. So clean and amazingly fast with detailed particle effects exploding in every direction. The game is going to be an addiction, plain and simple. Sonic becomes Super Sonic, "which basically means he can just fly around and pummel me at will," explains Nintendo rep.
9:46 a.m.: Wii remote held classically simplifies the controls. Move with the D-Pad. Shield attack is mapped to the B-trigger, which takes the most getting used to.

9:44 a.m.: Match is up and running with very little (maybe no) load times. Game is running 60 frames per second and full 480p widescreen. Looks really crisp, clean, sharp. Smash Balls randomly appear on-screen. They'll float around and you'll have to pound on them for awhile before they release their special abilities. This is demonstrated as Samus and Mario duke it out. Samus gains her special ability and blasts Mario with a super shot that fills the entire screen. Afterward, Aran turns into Zero Suit Samus.

9:42 a.m.: For the purposes of today's demoes, matches will be set to two-minute timers with items turned on. Using classic controller, you'll use the analog stick to move. D-Pad to taunt. 9:41 a.m.: Demonstration ends. Now, Nintendo is booting up Super Smash Bros. Brawl. We see a character screen with Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, Ike, Peach, Yoshi, Sonic, Bowser and a random button. Nintendo talks about the four different control schemes, which are fully customizable.
9:38 a.m.: In another type of gameplay style, you actually move Link through the levels with the nunchuk's analog stick and aim normally with the Zapper. You have full freedom of movement and can walk into any direction. Meanwhile, you can zoom in and pick off enemies from a distance, shoot boxes for upgrades, etc. When you shoot something other than an enemy, you still keep your multiplier. Again, color me pleasantly surprised.

9:37 a.m.: In Stalfos Defender, you see Link in the foreground as Stalfos approach nearby. You have to shoot as many of them as you can. You can turn the screen by dragging the on-screen reticule to the left or right. Very satisfying effect as you blow the enemies apart. For a $19.99 pack-in, this is pretty impressive stuff. Indeed, looks much more fun than Umbrella Chronicles, as far as I'm concerned. 9:34 a.m.: Boots Zelda Crossbow Training. Holding Wii Zapper in both hands, Nintendo rep is ready to rock. Three different types of gameplay. Score attack. Multiplayer, etc. First stage is Ordon Target Practice. You merely shoot the targets as they pop up. Nunchuk's z-trigger is a zoom function. The premise may not make the most sense in the world -- Link isn't exactly known for his crossbow -- but whatever, this still looks pretty cool. Running on Twilight Princess engine with an identical visual style. Targets pop up around the lush green environment. You can shoot signs and pumpkins when you're not crowssbowing targets. You can also shoot chickens, but you'll take a point loss. D'oh!

9:31 a.m.: Shows us bonus mission. Loopdeloop Galaxy. You unlock this secret galaxy, apparently. This is a surfing challenge. Seen in previously released NCL videos. You ride a manta ray down a watery pathway, bouncing up and down as you go. Seems to have a good sense of realistic physics. Reminds me a bit of Wave Race, actually. Potential for some big jumps and air. Looks like a great deal of fun.
9:30 a.m.: Like Mario 64, you'll be able to play missions over and over again, but the stars will be grayed out.
9:29 a.m.: As always, Mario Galaxy looks crisp and clean. This is the prettiest game on Wii to date, no doubt. Gameplay mechanics seem to be very well thought out and clever. Nintendo rep is currently fighting a mandibug boss and Mario must swing up dandelions to propel himself into the air and them butt-stomp onto the mandibug.
9:27 a.m.: "Constant sense of wonder as you're wandering around. You really just don't know what you're going to see next."
9:23 a.m.: Nintendo selects the Honeyhive Galaxy and the Big Bad Bugaboom sub-level. The bees have been taken over by these creatures called mandibugs. You have to don the Mario Bee Suit to fly and deal with the problem.
9:22 a.m.: Nintendo boots up Super Mario Galaxy. Looks like you can store at least six save files. Game is "basically" in its retail form.

There is a cosmic observatory, which acts as your hub world. Similar to the castle in Super Mario 64. Looks very nice. Same hub we've seen in the previous official trailer. Nintendo takes Mario into a terrace, where multiple different galaxies can be selected. "As you get more and more stars, you will be able to illuminate more of the areas and be able to access them." 9:21 a.m.: About an hour of live demonstrations coming. Then we'll be able to play games today and tomorrow. Looks like Super Mario Galaxy demonstration is going to begin.
9:20 a.m.: "Best game coming for the holiday is Super Mario Galaxy." Can't really argue with that.
9:19 a.m.: Wii library will see 86 new releases this holiday compared to 47 for Xbox 360 and 38 for PlayStation 3.
9:17 a.m.: Been making more Wii systems. Demand continues to surprise Nintendo. Consumers will still have to "hustle" to find the system this year. Will have about two times the product they had last year.
9:16 a.m.: Smash Bros. will have full Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities. Lots of new levels and many new characters, including Sonic the Hedgehog. A "unique way of sharing between users, even online," according to Iwata -- this relates to some user-created content for the WI-Fi service in relation to Smash Bros., sounds like.
9:15 a.m.: Talking about Smash Bros. delay. Smash Bros. delayed officially here in the US until Sunday, Feb. 10!

9:14 a.m.: NOA's George Harrison takes the podium. He's going to give us an update, he says. We get to play for the "first time" Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Link's Crossbow Training, Battalion Wars 2, Mario Party DS, Advance Wars 2 and Master of Illusion. We'll also get an updated look at Galaxy. 9:13 a.m.: We're a couple of minutes away. As an aside, Super Mario Galaxy is going to rule.
9:10 a.m.: Oh. I just got an update. Evidently I can live blog about everything we see here. I just can't post official hands-on impressions until Monday. Weird, but I'll take it. With that in mind, here's the schedule: At 9:15, Super Mario Galaxy demonstration. At 9:30, Link's Crossbow Training demonstration. At 9:45, Smash Bros. demonstration. At 10:00 a.m., open gameplay. At 12:30, lunch. And then more open gameplay for the remainder of the day, methinks. Everything except Smash Bros. Brawl will go live on Monday, media included, I presume.

9:08 a.m.: Our video crew is setting up. We just got an embargo sheet. Looks like there definitely will be a Brawl demonstration starting at about 9:45 a.m. There are other demonstrations, too, but because of the embargo, I'm not entirely sure that I can mention them. Also, I'm getting the impression that Nintendo will be blasting the wire with news in the next hour and a half, if not earlier. Brawl delay? Pure speculation at this point. Maybe it'll be just the opposite. Like I said, I'm still a little out of it. 9:03 a.m.: Bozon has returned from doing absolutely nothing. Hurray! Good for you, Bozon.
9:02 a.m.: Evidently we're only able to film a combined five minutes of gameplay footage for each game. However, we will also be able to film gameplay demonstrations in full. Of course, you should note that we can only post Brawl stuff today. The rest will have to wait until next week. I apologize in advance, but don't shoot the messenger.
8:53 a.m.: Still sitting here and wondering where the hell my editors are. I think Bozon has moved beyond cookies and to full-blown breakfast. Do these people realize a major event is about to start?
8:52 a.m.: There is still some confusion about what I can and can't write about, and what we'll be able to show you in video and screenshots. Apparently, everything except for Super Smash Bros. Brawl coverage will be under embargo until Monday. But we will, according to what I've heard, be able to film a Brawl presentation and write in detail about the fighter today, which sounds fantastic.
8:49 a.m.: I'm sitting in the front row, waiting for this sucker to kick off. Editors Craig Harris and Mark Bozon are eating cookies. We've all gathered on the thirty-second floor of a major San Francisco hotel to see updated looks at major "Q4" games. This includes Wii and DS software, of course. It should be pretty exciting. I'm just back from New York, where I've been out of reach for the last week-plus, but even I had a chance to see the announcements from Japan yesterday and I'm sure similarly interesting unveilings will be mirrored here in our side of the sea.

[quote name='Strell']LMFAO, this is from NeoGAF:

sonicthename.jpg

I just can't get over how pissed off Mario looks in the first panel. It would make a perfect avatar.[/QUOTE]

Someone has a new avatar.

Bah, Sunday Feb 10th for SSBB? OK, this is now 2 days AFTER my older son's birthday. They are really messing with me :lol:. Is it really going to be available in store on a Sunday? Are they hoping for massive Saturday night launch parties? I guess that's possible. After hearing about Ship's Halo 3 experience, I think I'd just wait till Sunday to pick it up though. I sure as hell don't want to go to some out of the way GS (where I have it preordered thanks to that trade-in deal a few months back) and wait outside in the rain with a bunch of nobs while everyone pays up their damn preorders.

Well, I'm annoyed with the SSBM delay, but so psyched that it will have online co-op!

Mario Kart looks cool to me, but then I'm probably not terribly discriminating, especially about that game... I'll take all the Mario Kart I can get!

I really don't get all the wii hate...there is more coming out this fall/winter than I will have the time or money for. But then, like I said, maybe I'm just not as discriminating as most...

[quote name='PleasantOne']
But then, like I said, maybe I'm just not as discriminating as most...[/QUOTE]

That's probably it. If I play a game I end up rating below an 8.5-9.0 I feel like I wasted my time and money. Moreso just money, as I seldom finish games that I'm not liking enough to rate that high.

Wii music sounds soooo good.
I wasn't that interested before.

Finally, a quick look at Wii Music. Yes, the game that Nintendo opened its E3 2006 press conference with exists, and the characters still don't have arms. Wii Music wasn't playable at Nintendo's press conference, but Nintendo did hold a stage demonstration for attendees. Taking to the Wiimote and nunchuck controllers was Nintendo's own sound team!

Players will be able to select from around 40 instruments
, including folk guitar, bass guitar, trumpet, maracas and marimba. Six characters take part in a performance, although the game only supports up to four human players. You're free to go at the game by yourself, with the CPU taking care of the remaining parts.

Gameplay is timing based. You have to time your button presses with notes. The controls vary depending on the instrument. With the trumpet, you use A and B on the Wiimote. For the drums, you shake the Wiimote and nunchuck.

Some instruments have extra playing options
, though. With the trumpet, you can aim the Wiimote up and down to simulate an increase in blowing strength. With the guitar, you can hold down the C button to get single notes instead of chords.

Wii music does sound kind of interesting. Not sure I could get into a music game that didn't have an instrument controller these days though.

[quote name='io']Bah, Sunday Feb 10th for SSBB? OK, this is now 2 days AFTER my older son's birthday. They are really messing with me :lol:. Is it really going to be available in store on a Sunday? Are they hoping for massive Saturday night launch parties? I guess that's possible. After hearing about Ship's Halo 3 experience, I think I'd just wait till Sunday to pick it up though. I sure as hell don't want to go to some out of the way GS (where I have it preordered thanks to that trade-in deal a few months back) and wait outside in the rain with a bunch of nobs while everyone pays up their damn preorders.[/quote]
Nintendo's release dates are generally the shipping dates, so it'll be a day or two afterwards that you can get it from the store.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's probably it. If I play a game I end up rating below an 8.5-9.0 I feel like I wasted my time and money. Moreso just money, as I seldom finish games that I'm not liking enough to rate that high.[/quote]

But then, I would rate most of the games I like higher than most people would rate them. I love Excite Truck, for instance. It's not that I don't care as much about my time or money, I'm just easier to please than most, I guess.

Fair enough. My ratings tend to mesh well with overall ratings. I mean I might not agree with one or two of the big sites, but my scores are usually pretty on par with gamerankings, metacritic etc.

So I guess my tastes in gaming are fairly standard/mainstream.

Not that it matters, but any idea on the cause of the delay? Was it to allow more time for development, or is this an issue of timing?

[quote name='dothog']Not that it matters, but any idea on the cause of the delay? Was it to allow more time for development, or is this an issue of timing?[/quote]

I would think they would have busted their asses to get it out for Christmas if at all possible...

I seem to have missed how long this conference is lasting... is it over already? It seems like there was hardly any DS news if so... I was hoping someone would say if Mario Party DS was wifi or not...

[quote name='Strell']The most popular system of the moment always gets shovelware.

You've made this comment about three times today.[/QUOTE]

The problem though is that you shouldn't be using shovelware as a system selling point and as the licensing body you shouldn't be licensing it in the first place. Crap like Deal or No Deal that's essentially broken at its core just plain shouldn't be licensed for sale. Licensing a game shows your owners that at the bare minimum the game should work. Its pretty obvious now that Nintendo's quality assurance consists of turning the game on to make sure it boots up and then rubber stamping a piece of paper. Sure Deal or No Deal is an extreme example but with crap like Far Cry (Wii), Charlie's Angels (which supposedly couldn't get licensed by Sony or Microsoft making it a "Gamecube exclusive"), and any number of the DS titles ranked below 30% on Gamerankings its pretty obvious that its not just "one game that slipped through the cracks."

Furthermore, if you're going to want us to get excited about "86 new titles this fall" making you the console with the most titles available then make sure they're games that are actually worth owning and not just any old crap that gets submitted to you.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The problem though is that you shouldn't be using shovelware as a system selling point and as the licensing body you shouldn't be licensing it in the first place. [/QUOTE]

Not disagreeing with that. I think we all know the PR people will always spin things in a positive manner.

"Halo 3 is bigger than movies." Yeah, ok. Halo 3 and movie ticket sales are hardly comparable. But that doesn't stop MS from doing it.

its pretty obvious that its not just "one game that slipped through the cracks.

And were you planning on buying any of them? No. And they aren't for you. They are for the countless people who aren't you.

I think we as gamers always pride ourselves on ignoring the crap (largely) and focusing on the games that define the system.

This is the same thing as saying that "Super Rub a Dub" (or whatever the hell it is) on the PS3 is the best the system can do.

Again, I didn't hear this with the PS2, but I guarantee you at some point Sony was touting how their system was the most widely supported.

Furthermore, if you're going to want us to get excited about "86 new titles this fall" making you the console with the most titles available then make sure they're games that are actually worth owning and not just any old crap that gets submitted to you.

Again, not disagreeing.

But come on. Even if all the third parties focused solely on one system, and that system's first and second parties all had tons of gaming coming out at once, there is no way they'd get anywhere close to 86. Hell, you couldn't get that if there were one system that EVERYONE made games for.

And beyond that, there's no way any company would let that number of good games compete with each other in the same time frame, because inevitably that's going to cannibalize sales.

There's not 86 games in this new gen across all three systems worth playing, and that's even if you go into the second tier sorts of games.

It would be nice that if anybody's going to cite the number of games they'll have out this holiday season, there should be a list to back it up.

bread's done
Back