DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

Here are PART 1 and PART 2 of a demo/Q&A session from the show.

Some interesting stuff. Shows off the Harley level previewed by the review sites recently.

They do mention "the end game" and show off some of the higher (highest?) level loot.

They also describe "chapters" (think that is the word they used) which will progress the in-game story and your character's story.

Basically you start off picking your powers, movement type, weapon. Then set up your back story which ties into certain paths through the chapters. So if you pick "the batman" root of the story, you'll be doing missions for him, earning his trust as you work through the chapters. so the story is sort of set but how you work through it is up to you (teaming up, going solo, who to take missions from).

This is how I think they might make their money. They can sell you more chapters/levels/stories down the line. Hopefully the free to play remembers are true then and the new content isn't to costly.

Also they say you can easily swap out your controller for a keyboard and mice on the PS3 or vice versa on the PC (using a controller/joystick). They also go on to say that right now, for their internal play, that PC and the PS3 are compatible and are playing together They designed it so that both platforms could co exist on a server... that is not a finalized feature and it is in discussion.

More stuff in there but ya'll can watch the vids.

$14.99 a month to play this it looks like...

Sony Online Entertainment’s Scott Gulbransen has confirmed rumours we reported last night regarding the upcoming release of DC Universe Online. According to Scott, the game will indeed require a $14.99 subscription fee, which will gain you access to the game’s massive superhero laden world. Scott’s also confirmed that the game will launch on the PlayStation 3 day and date with the PC version. Finally MMOs hit the consoles.

Finally.. an MMO on a console other than Angel Love Online (JP store) which was weird.. :booty:

But I can't wait for this. I love playing MMO, but playing it on a console will make it twice as better, since the computer in my house is always occupied. :booty:

$14.99? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. That's more than my gym membership! And unless they offer a discounted annual rate, that adds up to $180 a year. There's no way I'd get my money's worth out of it with all the huge new releases that are coming. That sucks, since I really wanted to play it.

I think the $14.99 is standard fare for most PC MMO's these days, right? Someone with more MMO experience can answer that.

Interesting part is how Ps3 gamers will react. Guessing the fee is for both platforms. Just have to know what kind of content you get.

They have something about pre-ordering on their site, so I'm guessing this is going to be a retail release (right?). For the PC for sure, but I wonder how much they'll charge for a disc or download for the PS3.

I remember WoW was full retail when it was launched in my area. Now don't they give the disc away? Not saying they would do that here but maybe they can offer it for lower then full retail... But I doubt it. Slap some "exclusive" pre-order crud and sell high.

I'm pretty sure stuff like WoW and Final Fantasy Online were/are around $15 a month, but I'm still disappointed. Like I said, I wouldn't get my money's worth with all the big new releases coming out. hell, I probably won't be able to afford even half of those. Too bad this didn't come out in January or something.

I'll add a link to the beta sign up (thanks!) and update the OP to reflect all the pre-order bonus and new details... Once I fix this mouse. :)

Enjoy this old, yet slightly infamous internet rant about the pricing. Watch for bad language though ahaha. "Big Mistake!"

[quote name='defmonkey05']If any one is interested, there was an article on kotaku about free beta sign up for this game.

DC Universe free beta signup

Worth a shot right? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I signed up. Here's hoping... And if a few of us happen to make it in, we should set up a gaming night :bouncy:

I signed up for the beta, but I have a feeling this will be a major failure. It took way too long to come out and whatever hype it had back then seems to all be dead. Same with The Agency.

[quote name='defmonkey05']One of the many deals of being a plus member is beta invites. So it would be silly to not have this game to people with psn+.[/QUOTE]

If it is like other betas then they will have waves and add more players over time
. Usually the commercial waves, where they add people from preorder deals and other outletslike websites, are one of the very lasts groups to be accepted.

Added the full cinematic from Gametrailers to the OP.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I signed up for the beta, but I have a feeling this will be a major failure. It took way too long to come out and whatever hype it had back then seems to all be dead. Same with The Agency.[/QUOTE]

It is a MMO, they always take years and years to be developed.

What I saw on GameTrailers looked mind-blowingly awesome. Actually, I've liked just about everything I've heard about this game- except for the $15 a month fee. I just don't think I can justify that for any single game. I play too many different titles.

[quote name='NamPaehc']If it is like other betas then they will have waves and add more players over time
. Usually the commercial waves, where they add people from preorder deals and other outletslike websites, are one of the very lasts groups to be accepted.[/QUOTE]

You're right on that. Hopefully plus members will get invites sometime when beta hits. I'm not that enthusiastic on this game, but wouldn't mind trying it out. It's mainly because I'm more of a marvel fan than a dc fan. But I'd still like to try this game out. :lol:

New info from Comiccon collected by Joystiq.

Yesterday's DC Universe Online-centric Comic-Con panel included a whole cornucopia of surprises for attendees (and potential subscribers). For instance, TV and film star Mark Hamill was there, talking about his role as the nefarious, wide-grinned Joker. Also, everyone in the audience got beta keys, which seemed to please them to no end. Also, it was announced the game wouldn't require a PSN+ subscription to play on the PS3 on top of the standard MMO subscription fee, which was also met with rousing applause.

The biggest surprise came from comic writer Jim Lee, who announced that the game would drop on November 2. Sure, we knew it would come at some point during the 11th month, but not two days into it. Why, that's practically late October, if you really think about it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNXe8Mw4u1A"[/url]

The full intro, explaining what is going on, and how the earlier preview was not an Earth 2 instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get into the beta, but having some trouble getting that code back. :rofl: It sounds as though we will all get codes for the beta, just a matter of when we will get them.

Anyone know how long this thing will last? Then we have a time frame for when people will be getting their waves of codes.

Really interested in this.

Like some others here, I'm not too sure about the $14.99 monthly cost just yet. The whole idea about it is just new to me since I didn't play any PC MMO's and such (or any MMO's for that matter).

There's no way I would pay $15 for this. The DC Universe is too...small to be worth $15 tag every month. Plus, if you are into this for the PS3, then it you are paying $15 to be part of a pioneer MMO program, and we all know the first of everything sucks.

IGN has a break down of the game intro with some details on what is going on. I didn't understand what was up with shockwave hitting the world until this.

Also, those who signed up for the beta, did you get a confirmation email? Nothing serious, just a thank you for signing up. Mine mentioned something about my station account which used the same email I signed up for the beta. My friend didn't recieve this email and didn't have a station account, so I was wondering if that is importat to have.

[quote name='c335harp']I'm not so sure about this game. The universe is rich, no doubt, but everything they've showed thus far looks really really lackluster. Has SOE had a proven winner since Planetside (and even that game had very questionable quality)?[/QUOTE]

A lot of the stuff I've seen online from the various events was apparently from Pre-Alpha, and Alpha builds. But no, SOE hasn't been to good with their titles. Great ideas, bad execution in the end sadly.

Anyway a lot of stuff came out doing SDCC.

I think it was IGN who hosted a panel. I saw text of the chat somewhere but I can't find a link right now.

Here is a highlight video.

Confirmation of the platforms being separated
. No shocker... I wish SOMEONE would have the guts to keep this in their game (currently PC/PS3 work together in their internal testing.). But I'm sure the patch submission process for the PS3 is what they are afraid of. They can patch the PC any time but Sony has to look at the patches for the PS3 which I think will slow down updates.

Still no beta code :rofl: Got the thank you email, but still no code. Been like a week and a half. Wonder if we will ever know when they are increasing the amount of people they are allowing in, or if just one day most everyone will get a code?

Any time a game allows PC users to go against Console gamers, the PC gamers will almost assuredly crush the console gamers. To make cross-play work, they'd need to either gimp the PC controls or buff the Console controls, or both. For example, Shadowrun allowed 360 and PC gamers to go against each other. In order to make it fair, 360 users got auto-aim, while PC users got their turn around speed reduced and a larger crosshair while moving. While it might seem like a good solution, think about this...why would a pc gamer bother with a game that intentionally gimps their controls when they can play something else that controls much better?

[quote name='Salamando3000']Any time a game allows PC users to go against Console gamers, the PC gamers will almost assuredly crush the console gamers. To make cross-play work, they'd need to either gimp the PC controls or buff the Console controls, or both. For example, Shadowrun allowed 360 and PC gamers to go against each other. In order to make it fair, 360 users got auto-aim, while PC users got their turn around speed reduced and a larger crosshair while moving. While it might seem like a good solution, think about this...why would a pc gamer bother with a game that intentionally gimps their controls when they can play something else that controls much better?[/QUOTE]

Mouse and keyboard were plug and play with the PS3 during development. Makes me wonder if they got rid of that too... Though I did remember them saying "yah you can run around with your controller, then pop in a USB keyboard and chat on your PS3." And other such things, but who knows what changed.

Salamando, PS3 and PC players will be on different servers.

Krakrabbit, you keep talking as though everyone who signs up is guaranteed a beta code. We're not. Also, you do know that the beta has not even started yet, right?

[quote name='Matt Young']Salamando, PS3 and PC players will be on different servers.[/QUOTE]

I know, I was responding to above how they wished someone would unify the entire audience for a game by allowing them to play on one server, and explained how it'll never really happen.

Has there been anything much in terms of actual gameplay videos online, as in non-prerendered stuff? I'm not finding much, which is scary considering how close the release is.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Has there been anything much in terms of actual gameplay videos online, as in non-prerendered stuff? I'm not finding much, which is scary considering how close the release is.[/QUOTE]

Could did through the thread, think there might be some videos peppered throughout it.

Also search youtube (mostly cams and some interviews with previews), think there is video from the big events. Like SDCC and E3 09/10. All of which was old code apperently. Which they mentioned in one of the dev videos on the website on how they have tweaked a lot of things (example I remember was making flying feel smoother).

[quote name='Matt Young']Salamando, PS3 and PC players will be on different servers.

Krakrabbit, you keep talking as though everyone who signs up is guaranteed a beta code. We're not. Also, you do know that the beta has not even started yet, right?[/QUOTE]

I do indeed. All I was saying was I wonder if they will tell people when they are stepping up the level in which they give out beta codes? I know they will over time though.

Anyway, interested to see how the game turns out. Will just a DC world be a little repetitive over time?

I found the site where I read the SDCC '10 panel stuff finally.

Part ONE.

Part TWO.

And here is page talking about how you can play as one of the iconic characters. Batman is apparently pre-order bonus only. Do I smell potential micro-transactions..?

Also mentions:

We're jumping into beta next week

Who knows how large a pool they are starting with, but this was posted last week, July 26th. My guess is if they are moving past interanl testers, they are starting with close friends and colleagues so not much news for general public yet.

Hmm, am I the only one that thinks the animation and gameplay look downright laughable? I played CoH/CoV for +3 years and it seems this game won't even compare to that level of MMO. Granted, it's a console MMO and CoH/CoV is more established now, but those screenshots and gameplay videos look awful for a current generation system. Sony is going to do what they can to fool a lot of people in getting involved with this mess and I'm sure the overall experience will be mediocre at best.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']Hmm, am I the only one that thinks the animation and gameplay look downright laughable? I played CoH/CoV for +3 years and it seems this game won't even compare to that level of MMO. Granted, it's a console MMO and CoH/CoV is more established now, but those screenshots and gameplay videos look awful for a current generation system. Sony is going to do what they can to fool a lot of people in getting involved with this mess and I'm sure the overall experience will be mediocre at best.[/QUOTE]

Laughable, very much so! But also very all old builds were shown too. Not sure how much better they are now but shouldn't judge completely on what was shown so far. Nothing wrong with being hesitant though.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Laughable, very much so! But also very all old builds were shown too. Not sure how much better they are now but shouldn't judge completely on what was shown so far. Nothing wrong with being hesitant though.[/QUOTE]

True. I'm like most. If I don't happen to get a Beta code, I think I'll pass and pick it up on Goozex, try it out for a month then decide. I don't think the build will change dramatically, but I'm pretty sure the actual gameplay will. The developers are taking a tremendous gamble pushing this out of the gate first. I would have preferred they waited for another console MMO to release, see what works and don't work and modify this game. They are "banking" too hard on fanboy loyalty to move this thing.

Call me skeptical, but I've been burned too many times on too many Superhero games in the past couple of years to leap into a $75 experience (game + 1 month) even if it's an MMO.

I'm honestly kind of hoping this will blow just because my fiance is a ginormous dc fan and will completely take over the TV to play it. I'm just glad we'll still be on our honeymoon when it hits so the reviews will be out and if they suck I can justify not getting it.

Has anyone gotten the beta yet?
I really want to try it out. If it sucks, I guess I'm heading to FFXIV instead (to play with my clan)

anyone get into the beta? I havent heard any news on this, especially since it is coming out in less than 2 months.

[quote name='j-cart']anyone get into the beta? I havent heard any news on this, especially since it is coming out in less than 2 months.[/QUOTE]

Video interview he mentions that they are expanding their internal testing still. Comiccon beta code holders are still waiting but should be accepted first.

Driving from up from San Diego I saw a HUGE billboard for DC Universe Online and it was also sponsored by Gunnar's Optiks.

Still want to see how this game will pan out.

[quote name='j-cart']Driving from up from San Diego I saw a HUGE billboard for DC Universe Online and it was also sponsored by Gunnar's Optiks.

Still want to see how this game will pan out.[/QUOTE]

Was it this one?

38186_409834138586_37491898586_4696318_1523416_n.jpg

I smell sponsored micro-transactions...

Yup thats the one. Couldn't take a pick of it since I was on the freeway, but it seems like that SOE seems confident in their game.

bread's done
Back