DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

There is a beta going on right now but it isn't public. I read that City of Heroes had their open beta a week prior to launch but I'm not sure if that is true.

Rumor is that full public beta will be the last week before launch (and a pre-order access beta plan might be announced soon for that). Prior to that the VIP code holders will be let in, and a week before that invited guests/friends/game industry types will be given access.

So that puts all that to start in mid October... Hopefully they confirm something at the ComicCon.

I think that since it is an MMO (AKA we can patch it later!), and since SOE seems to have confidence in their systems from prior online titles I guess having to manage a large beta isn't something they felt they had to do.

Thanks for the reply, ever since pso II I've been damned. Phantasy Star Online was the last MMO I've enjoyed. I don't like paying full price for the game then getting stuck paying a subscription charge.

Yeah, if you hurry and sign up on their official site you might get a code. Or you can just go pre-order it and get one in a few weeks.

Looks like that rumor time line was sort of right. They got that the full public beta would be a week before launch correct a least. I had also saw that pre-order would get you in the beta but no advertising for it which I thought was strange.

Doesn't the Star Wars MMO open up early next year too? I think Nov might have been a sweet spot, and perhaps they did too... But in the end they weren't ready to go so soon.

Wonder if we can bug them enough to put the PS3/PC cross platform gaming back in since they are "listening to the community".

Next spring, I'll have a lot fewer games to play than I will this fall/winter... but with The Old Republic coming out, I doubt I'll play DC. Both games look good, but Star Wars looks better than almost anything out there.

So, has there been any screens/movies released that show the UI or Character Creation? I'm mostly interested to see how many skills (and what skills) we'll be using in combat.

[quote name='Salamando3000']So, has there been any screens/movies released that show the UI or Character Creation? I'm mostly interested to see how many skills (and what skills) we'll be using in combat.[/QUOTE]

NYComicCon is at the end of the week and their panel will be showing off the creator I believe. So expect some videos/screens then.

There is a section in the OP with a FAQ covering the weapons and powers you might find interesting

I think if you look for the older videos there have been some with the HUD/UI up. But remember those were old builds though they give you general idea of what they are going for. I think the time periods around the SDCC is where I saw them, so check youtube or dig though the thread.

Here is a link to official page to "turn in" your pre-order receipt in for a beta key.

NEVER seen it done this way before but what can you d?

Ready to turn your pre-order receipt into a Beta key?*

Follow these simple steps!
  1. Submit a clear image of your DC Universe™ Online Pre-Order receipt above.
  2. Click SUBMIT!
To receive a Beta key by November 30, 2010, you must submit your valid pre-order register or eCommerce receipt no later than November 15, 2010.

Redeem receipt HERE.

Yeah, it's not scheduled to be released until next Spring. That's probably a good move though, as the public beta would've started way to late for a November launch.

Cataclysm coming out in the coming months, FF14 on the ps3 in March, and this game in early spring? I'm also under the impression that ps3 and pc users are on different servers too.

SOE man, you guys were like the best in the MMORPG business. Like your affiliate in the PSP ads, "Step your game up!"

(there has been NOTHING shown about the actual rpg elments of the game, just footage of random battles)

[quote name='eliter1']So can we pre-order it on Amazon and send them that receipt?[/QUOTE]

Yes it says:
To receive a Beta key by November 30, 2010, you must submit your valid pre-order register or eCommerce receipt no later than November 15, 2010.

Guessing that is the page after you submit your order, I believe you can save it right? Not sure if it is an image file though...

Maybe take picture with your camera phone and send that file to them? I don't know, the process is REALLY odd to me.

To me, it seems like a way to make up to the retailers for not making it in November. As away to help boost preorders?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yes it says:

Guessing that is the page after you submit your order, I believe you can save it right? Not sure if it is an image file though...

Maybe take picture with your camera phone and send that file to them? I don't know, the process is REALLY odd to me.

To me, it seems like a way to make up to the retailers for not making it in November. As away to help boost preorders?[/QUOTE]

I just did a screen grab of the receipt.

It just looks like they just didn't have time to set up a proper beta key distribution system for pre-orders. I know best-buy has had the preorder boxes on their shelves for a long time. The "take a pic of your preorder" system might not be the best, but it allows anyone that preordered from anywhere to get into the beta.

Although, this system leaves it wide open to abuse...anyone really interested could easily pre-order / submit screenshot / cancel preorder.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Here is a link to official page to "turn in" your pre-order receipt in for a beta key.

Redeem receipt HERE. [/QUOTE]

Anyone try this with a pre-order from Amazon?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Here is a link to official page to "turn in" your pre-order receipt in for a beta key.

Redeem receipt HERE. [/QUOTE]

Just sent in my receipt the other day (the 9th to be exact). Hopefully I get in.

They are playing it right now as heroes and will play as villains at 8.

Edit: They're done for now but the game got me very interested. You can't see much of the game in an hour but they were talking about some of the things you can do later in the game and it sounded awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I got a chance to actually sit and watch the live stream. I am definitely impressed by the game play that I saw. I'm sold on it now (not like I wasn't before). Now I just want the PS3 beta to go live soon.

The real question is do you get this for PC or PS3?

I just wonder where all the players are going to be for this game. Do you guys think MMOs are viable on a console?

[quote name='j-cart']The real question is do you get this for PC or PS3?

I just wonder where all the players are going to be for this game. Do you guys think MMOs are viable on a console?[/QUOTE]

I hope so. They recently added a collectors edition for the ps3. Hopefully that means they will support the platform. This is built to be played as an action game, so should work well with a controller.

>>>Oh and the cut off date to get into the beta "by November 30" is soon on the 15th, so make sure you submit your pre-orders at the official site.

Here is a recent preview It is called "DC Universe Online: The MMO for the Warcraft Phobic" and find it fairly balanced compaired to some of the latest stuff released.

SOE Austin had press come down last week and a lot of them did previews. There are a ton of new videos out too. Youtube member OTGNightAngel made a videolog of her trip there. The end of part 3 (around 9:00) is where the "Classes" start and the devs speak about the development in more detail. Start there if you want to skip the studio tour.

Has anyoone heard anything about the BETA? I submitted a receipt form Amazon but I haven't heard a thing. Are the invites going out after the 30th?

The ps3 beta is not live yet, so no invites for that.

Pc did get some invites, that is confirmed. Think the invite s are still going out in waves.

[quote name='eliter1']Has anyoone heard anything about the BETA? I submitted a receipt form Amazon but I haven't heard a thing. Are the invites going out after the 30th?[/QUOTE]

I got the PC beta invite but there is no way in hell I am downloading a file that is over 13GB's !! that is ridiculous, and also would take me a few days with my shitty internet to download.

I have the PC beta, it just seems okay, I played WoW for a long time so I might be jaded when it comes to MMOs especially since I played since like 1.4 all the way to Lich King. The character customization is probably the best part about this game. The combat seems like it's lacking currently. This reminds me of Champions Online, which is a bad thing.

[quote name='eliter1']I haven't received a beta key yet. I sent my receipt in again but I don't think I am going to get one.[/QUOTE]

There was a post by them recently to do just that, they are sending them out in waves. I'll check for quote later for the details but that is basically it. And that ps3 beta is coming soon, still, lol.

What do you have to do to get a PS3 beta code? Preorder?

I'm curious to see how the game plays on PS3. I'd assume exactly the same as PS3, which is like City of Heroes, but I'm still curious.

[quote name='hustletron']What do you have to do to get a PS3 beta code? Preorder?

I'm curious to see how the game plays on PS3. I'd assume exactly the same as PS3, which is like City of Heroes, but I'm still curious.[/QUOTE]

Yeah pre order, then submit the receipt via their website. There you can select which beta, pc or ps3, you want to join. Then....wait. :)

bread's done
Back