Dead PS3 and Repair Time

OK other question I have on the 5 download limit thing..
My system died yesterday so according to this FAQ I can access my downloaded games on the new machine I will swap out with, as long as I log in with my PSN account?
The reason I asked is that this is my 2nd machine, and I've gameshared some of my games with two other people. So when I swap my machine out again and get a new one, it will be my 5th one. So after that if by somechange I have to swap out PS3 again, will I be SOL?
But according to this FAQ I can only download games 5 times.. Or is that only for NRDM games? How do I find out which games are NRDM?

This is where I'm a bit confused.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What is the friggin deal with DRMed SAVE FILES!?!?!

Geez, I thought it was just Nintendo that had gone psychotic on us. Not pleased there are some PS3 games that do that too. Hopefully activation DRM will die out/be made illegal one of these days...[/quote]

So which games have DRM'd save files? I know Soul Calibur IV is one, but not sure about others.

[quote name='Sinistar']OK other question I have on the 5 download limit thing..
My system died yesterday so according to this FAQ I can access my downloaded games on the new machine I will swap out with, as long as I log in with my PSN account?
The reason I asked is that this is my 2nd machine, and I've gameshared some of my games with two other people. So when I swap my machine out again and get a new one, it will be my 5th one. So after that if by somechange I have to swap out PS3 again, will I be SOL?
But according to this FAQ I can only download games 5 times.. Or is that only for NRDM games? How do I find out which games are NRDM?

This is where I'm a bit confused.

You can download games as many times as you want.

If this one dies, you'll have to call Sony and badger them to deactivate all accounts with your username. This will reset your shares. You two friends will have to re-activate their accounts, but then you'll have up to 3 more systems to go through. :D

[quote name='StrandedBrit']You can download games as many times as you want.

If this one dies, you'll have to call Sony and badger them to deactivate all accounts with your username. This will reset your shares. You two friends will have to re-activate their accounts, but then you'll have up to 3 more systems to go through. :D[/quote]

What do you mean deactivate accounts with username? Like I only have one main PSN account "Sinistar83" and I let my friends download BCR and SSHD I think. If I call Sony and ask them to deactivate my Sinistar83 account does that mean I can't log on to it anymore? I don't want to do that lol.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']That's the problem. The backup utility only allows you to restore on the PS3 it was backed up on. In your case when you went to restore, it saw it was a different PS3 and purposefully didn't copy the locked stuff over.[/quote]

That's what happened to me. I tried copying data from my 60 GB HD system that failed to an 80 GB Model and that model didn't recognize the data. On top of that when I reinserted the 80 GB model's HD, it self-restored. My first thought was "oh crap everything on the 80 GB was formatted" but actually everything was fine. The only thing I had to do was re-establish my PSN account information for all of my profiles (and yes I do have 4 different PSN accounts- my US, UK, HK, and JPN).

Ughhhh! Pain in my @ss! I had to send back my 60gb (2nd time). I didn't want to lose all my saves (including some locked ones), so I kept the HDD and sent it in. They replaced it with another 60gb. So when it gets here, I plug in my old HDD and the damn PS3 makes me reformat! Ahhhhhhhhhh! Stupid POS refused to just boot up off the old HDD. Luckily I had done a backup from the HDD just in case something stupid like this happened, so I was able to restore most of the stuff. Only things I lost were my PS2 saves and my Rock Band saves. Everything else either restored or can be redownloaded/reinstalled. Nonetheless, a huge PITA. Guess now I've got no excuse to not upgrade the HDD.

[quote name='Sinistar']What do you mean deactivate accounts with username? Like I only have one main PSN account "Sinistar83" and I let my friends download BCR and SSHD I think. If I call Sony and ask them to deactivate my Sinistar83 account does that mean I can't log on to it anymore? I don't want to do that lol.[/quote]

No it just means that they clear the Sinistar83 account of all share. So when you log in to that account after deactivation it'll be like you're logging in for the first time. Doesn't delete it, just wipes it clean of shares so to speak. You friends will log in and find that their games no longer work. All they have to do is log into your sinistar83 acccount, and on the XMB go to Playstation Network->Account Management->Activate System and they will have access you your stuff again.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']No it just means that they clear the Sinistar83 account of all share. So when you log in to that account after deactivation it'll be like you're logging in for the first time. Doesn't delete it, just wipes it clean of shares so to speak. You friends will log in and find that their games no longer work. All they have to do is log into your sinistar83 acccount, and on the XMB go to Playstation Network->Account Management->Activate System and they will have access you your stuff again.[/quote]

OK So I just need to call Sony and ask them to deactivate/reactive my download count on my Sinistar83 account and they will know what I mean and that should take care of it? Yesterday when I was talking to one of the agents there, he didn't really know much about download limits or gamesharing or anything.

Oh yeah and wanna hear something semi amusing? I went and swapped out PS3 at Costco last night, I started setting it up and right before I logged in to my PS3 account it said I needed to go upgrade the FW, so I tried to and it's stuck on a loop - when it gets to 50% install it says it failed and makes me reboot and try again.. I even reseated the hard drive and it won't let me get out of it.. anyways, looks like It's going back to Costco today for another one. :)

EDIT: OK well I just called Sony and they said they won't deactivate my account, and I have to do it manually on each PS3.. which is impossible on two of them, since I no longer have those systems since I first started my PSN, and I didn't know you had to manually deactivate accounts so I guess I'm screwed..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sinistar']OK So I just need to call Sony and ask them to deactivate/reactive my download count on my Sinistar83 account and they will know what I mean and that should take care of it? Yesterday when I was talking to one of the agents there, he didn't really know much about download limits or gamesharing or anything.

Oh yeah and wanna hear something semi amusing? I went and swapped out PS3 at Costco last night, I started setting it up and right before I logged in to my PS3 account it said I needed to go upgrade the FW, so I tried to and it's stuck on a loop - when it gets to 50% install it says it failed and makes me reboot and try again.. I even reseated the hard drive and it won't let me get out of it.. anyways, looks like It's going back to Costco today for another one. :)

EDIT: OK well I just called Sony and they said they won't deactivate my account, and I have to do it manually on each PS3.. which is impossible on two of them, since I no longer have those systems since I first started my PSN, and I didn't know you had to manually deactivate accounts so I guess I'm screwed..[/quote]

That's bullshit. Firstly, it's impossible to deactive an account if say the machine say blows a circuit, or maybe the video goes so they're wrong on that part. Secondly it's their responsibility to help you out if the machine(s) they made crap out.

Anwyay, keep calling and you'll eventually find someone helpful. Someone said if you ask for someone in the Playstation Network department they'll do the job for you. I know a couple of cags who have done this. I think it's a hit and miss job until you find a capable rep.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']That's bullshit. Firstly, it's impossible to deactive an account if say the machine say blows a circuit, or maybe the video goes so they're wrong on that part. Secondly it's their responsibility to help you out if the machine(s) they made crap out.

Anwyay, keep calling and you'll eventually find someone helpful. Someone said if you ask for someone in the Playstation Network department they'll do the job for you. I know a couple of cags who have done this. I think it's a hit and miss job until you find a capable rep.[/quote]

Yeah I called back just a while ago and got another person and got the same answer.. but maybe it's possible they don't deactivate accounts anymore.. but the other rep says that's why they give you 5 activations, in case things happen like this.

Well I just activated my account on my new PS3 and and i'm the process of downloading all my stuff back. This will be the 5th machine I've activated on..

But I'll try calling back tomorrow and see if I can get a rep on the PSN side of things to reset everything.

Off the subject but I need help here. My 60 gig ps3 I bought used at gamestop is past warranty and acting up. No I didn't buy the 1yr warranty. Sony can't tell me anything of use. While a game (any form of disc cd,dvd) is being played it will completly lockdown. Random amout of time before it does. And heres the kicker when no disc is in it just freezes and all kind of colors show on the tv. Had it about 4 months and no problems before this. It's about 1yr old cause the harddrive was made in early 07. Some say it might be the harddrive(which is covered by warranty no matter what) but neither Sony nor Seagate(harddrive manufacturer) will take responsibility for that. I just need to know what is wrong. If its the hardrive thats easy enough($50 for 120 gig through Tiger Direct) or if it's the system itself. If anyone can help email me at [email protected]. If you expect a reply it may take a few days cause I check my email about every 2wks at the library. Thanks alot in advance.:applause:

[quote name='bluebear5']Off the subject but I need help here. My 60 gig ps3 I bought used at gamestop is past warranty and acting up. No I didn't buy the 1yr warranty. Sony can't tell me anything of use. While a game (any form of disc cd,dvd) is being played it will completly lockdown. Random amout of time before it does. And heres the kicker when no disc is in it just freezes and all kind of colors show on the tv. Had it about 4 months and no problems before this. It's about 1yr old cause the harddrive was made in early 07. Some say it might be the harddrive(which is covered by warranty no matter what) but neither Sony nor Seagate(harddrive manufacturer) will take responsibility for that. I just need to know what is wrong. If its the hardrive thats easy enough($50 for 120 gig through Tiger Direct) or if it's the system itself. If anyone can help email me at [email protected]. If you expect a reply it may take a few days cause I check my email about every 2wks at the library. Thanks alot in advance.:applause:[/quote]

You got GAYME RAYPED. People only trade in busted systems to gamestop for the most part. Nobody would willingly trade a 60 gb PS3 to gamestop unless it was broken.

*I did a couple of searches and didn't find an answer to my problem, so if I missed it. don't be a troll about it, just politely direct me in the right direction.*

I was playing Fallout 3 and I got to a place where the game auto saved (rather routine operation for the game) and then the game just froze. Not sounds, no movement, no blinking light on PS3 indicating the the HDD was being accessed, even the controller didn't respond to anything. I turned off the system and unplugged it. I came back about five minutes later and the Fallout 3 disc was still in the system, but when I turned it on, I didn't even get a loading icon in the corner. I ejected the disc, and reinserted it in the system. This time I got the loading circle, but it never loaded the disc. Turned it off again, and repeated the process. I tried another PS3 disc and same story.

I've had it since last September (yay! just over a month away from the warranty period!) and everything I've read so far seems to point to me having to ship the PS3 back to Sony for service. I've got a 60GB model with an upgraded 320GB hard drive, so I'm really reluctant about servicing. So here are my questions.

- Are there any other options besides service/replacement?
- How much does service cost?
- What happens if they don't fix it? Do they charge you for a new system?
- Do you keep your original hard drive?
- How long does service take?

[quote name='Duckbutt']
- Are there any other options besides service/replacement?
- How much does service cost?
- What happens if they don't fix it? Do they charge you for a new system?
- Do you keep your original hard drive?
- How long does service take?[/quote]

1. Not really. Maybe someone else has more info on this one.
2. ~ $150.
3. The service cost covers fixing the machine, even if that means giving you a different one.
4. When you ship it back I would recommend the original in the case they give you a different machine as you would have lost your 320.
5. Think it take around 2 weeks from what people have posted.

Thanks so much for your help. I hope they can fix it because I'd hate to lose the backward compatibility, but I wouldn't mind losing the 350+ Watt power load that is associated with the older models.

I don't think they really draw that much though. The first generation models were around 200 watts, I think. They just had power supplies around twice that big. Although that's still a lot.

[quote name='Duckbutt']Thanks so much for your help. I hope they can fix it because I'd hate to lose the backward compatibility, but I wouldn't mind losing the 350+ Watt power load that is associated with the older models.[/quote]
I'm fairly sure they still send whatever model you send them. That is, you send a 60, they send back a 60.

I know I'd be pissed if I had to send in a 60 and got back a new one without BC.

Since I was advised to remove my 320GB hard drive before I ship the system back, I decided to see if I put the old 60GB back in if that fix anything (since on the official website one of the trouble shooting steps is to reformat your hard drive to default settings). Off the bat it didn't do squat. I went ahead with the reformat and still no cigar, so clearly it's not a hard drive issue, it's the disk drive.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't think they really draw that much though. The first generation models were around 200 watts, I think. They just had power supplies around twice that big. Although that's still a lot.[/quote]

I was just going off what I saw when I was going through the trouble shooting manual. I did look at some research online and the 200 figure is more accurate. I saw the new 80s and 160s are estimated to only use 110w, that's really nice.

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm fairly sure they still send whatever model you send them. That is, you send a 60, they send back a 60.

I know I'd be pissed if I had to send in a 60 and got back a new one without BC.[/quote]

Yeah, I was pretty frustrated (still am) about the whole thing because the first I thought was "Am I going to lose backward compatibility?" I've got an PS2 slim still, but that's at my parent's house, though I'll probably take it back while I'm waiting to get the new one fixed (can't really afford $150 for a repair, especially with birthdays and Christmas coming up).

[quote name='Duckbutt']Yeah, I was pretty frustrated (still am) about the whole thing because the first I thought was "Am I going to lose backward compatibility?" I've got an PS2 slim still, but that's at my parent's house, though I'll probably take it back while I'm waiting to get the new one fixed (can't really afford $150 for a repair, especially with birthdays and Christmas coming up).[/quote]

Not to rain on the parade, but there was a recent story (can't remember so it really is kind of a rumor) about a guy who sent his 60GB in and got an 80GB with the partial emulation back. He was pissed, but supposedly got told that there were no more 60s left. Seeing as how we haven't really heard too many stories about this I doubt it's true, but I thought I'd be a smart ass anyway. :razz:

From what I can tell, the bundled 80GB (ie Motorstorm/Metal Gear) handle PS2 games just fine. I tried the one game in my collection that explicitly is supposed to have all kinds of problems, and it seemed 100% fine. I'd guess it was improved through updates.

Unfortunately...they'd dropped it completely now in all new units (ie new unbundled 80GB and the 40GB and 160GB models).

It's still a HUGE deal to me. I would be standardizing on PS3 no question largely because of backwards compatibility-same as I did for the PS2. They took away my main reason too :whistle2:(

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Not to rain on the parade, but there was a recent story (can't remember so it really is kind of a rumor) about a guy who sent his 60GB in and got an 80GB with the partial emulation back. He was pissed, but supposedly got told that there were no more 60s left. Seeing as how we haven't really heard too many stories about this I doubt it's true, but I thought I'd be a smart ass anyway. :razz:[/quote]

Well, I guess I'll ask about that before I make plans to send it in. If I'm going get jipped with backwards compatibility, I'd like to know before hand so I can get a PS2. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
It's still a HUGE deal to me. I would be standardizing on PS3 no question largely because of backwards compatibility-same as I did for the PS2. They took away my main reason too :whistle2:([/quote]

It is a big deal for me as well. I've had at least 100 PS2 games, and now I've got 50, but still, those 50 games are more than my PS3, PS1, Wii and GameCube collections combined. I mostly play the newer stuff, but I still like playing some older games every now and then. I still don't even have an HD TV. I was planning on saving up and getting one after Christmas, but this repair is going to put than on hold a little longer.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Not to rain on the parade, but there was a recent story (can't remember so it really is kind of a rumor) about a guy who sent his 60GB in and got an 80GB with the partial emulation back. He was pissed, but supposedly got told that there were no more 60s left. Seeing as how we haven't really heard too many stories about this I doubt it's true, but I thought I'd be a smart ass anyway. :razz:[/quote]
:shock:

I'd cry if it happened to me.

[quote name='mguiddy']:shock:

I'd cry if it happened to me.[/quote]

I'd have mixed feelings. I don't really need my PS2 BC, but I do likes me the 4 usb slots.

I think I'd cry too, seeing I never owned a ps2 and the ps3 is my only way of doing that atm plus all those game saves and nice not having to crowd more things around my puny desk.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I'd have mixed feelings. I don't really need my PS2 BC, but I do likes me the 4 usb slots.[/quote]

Well, that's a cheap fix, just get a USB adapter with additional slots for $10-$15. I use at least three USB slots at any given time, so I'd have to get an adapter.

That's a deal breaker for me if and when I send my 60 GB Model to be repaired. It's bad enough I have to shell out $160 plus (tax is included- I don't remember the exact price they quoted me) to repair it (broke down less than 14 months after buying it), but then to get an 80 GB BC system or worse a 80 GB without BC system would be unacceptable.

I'm very loyal to Sony, but I'd consider going over to the darkside (XBox360) for $299.99 depending on how things unfold.

I do wonder how that will play out. Long term there wont' be anything but crippled PS3s :(

I'm still super angry about this whole thing. means I'll have to pick up a couple of PS2s at some point, and I really have no reason to stick with Sony since they've made a complete break with their old systems. (Except of course for possible reliability issues...and my biggest issue right now is how much QUIETER the PS3 is! Seriously, my PS3 running full blast playing a game is slightly quieter than my 360 sitting at it's menu doing nothing...really).

Even if they can only give me a newer PS3, that's not enough to make me buy an Xbox. My PS3's demise was a fluke, if there is a way to disable autosaves on my games, I'll be doing that as soon as I get the system back. The 360 is much more unreliable when it comes to error rate, and they've only got a few exclusive titles I'd care about.

Mang! anyone notice these next gen system has been junk, gettin a PS3 this holiday season.
and hearing this stuff sux.

360 sent in twice for repairs (1st disk-drive wouldn't read disc) (2nd red ring of death)

Wii sent once(wouldn't read certain games like Smash & Mario kart)

atleast those repairs were free.

Last gen system was rock solid IMO, Gamecube still works today, xbox had over 3000+ hr. of Halo! i swear, PS2 w/ 40+ rpg played and completed, + (2+ years playing FFXI)... all system were bought on 1st yr. of launch.

The early PS2 were horrible, lots of DREs there. The PS3 have been great. Except for a few isolated cases. I'm still wondering how one game can make a system brick like CoD4 did to mine, it's a mystery that I'll never solve. Even if there is an answer since I won't go looking for it.
If I did send my system in for repair and got a newer one back, I would expect some sort of compensation, maybe ten dollars in PSN money. But it wouldn't be a big deal to me, probably make me angry a little.

[quote name='Thongsy']The early PS2 were horrible, lots of DREs there.[/quote]

Yeah, I bought my first PS2 maybe six months from the official launch. The system lasted for 4-5 years, but only a year and a half into it's life I was getting disc read errors every now and then until it finally stopped reading anything.

I picked up a pre-owned 60GB PS3 December 2007. Everything played fine until I picked up GTA4 - I had the infamous freezing errors and couldn't play for more than a few seconds. Later I started noticing other games were problematic as well (Oblivion, Linger in Shadows) and would freeze shortly after being loaded up. However, pretty much every other game for PS3/PS2/PS1 had no significant issues.

4 weeks ago I finially called in the issue to Sony, not wanting to risk being unable to play the new titles coming out this year. I also heard some rumblings about Sony not being able to replace a 60GB for a refurb 60GB and was also paranoid about loosing full BC.

My whole experience with Sony was FAR better than expected. Even though the system was pre-owned and out of warranty, there was no cost for service (due to the GTA4 issue being an early hardware defect with launch PS3s). The cardboard coffin showed up 3 days later and I had dropped off my PS3 at UPS Moday. To my surprise the replacement system was delivered to me the following week on Tuesday....and yes it was a 60 GB model with full BC. The refurb plays perfectly and runs much quieter and cooler than the original.

It seems, at least for now, Sony DOES still have refurb 60GB available for repair orders. I hope anyone sending in their 60GB has as good of an experience getting their replacemnt.

My system broke last month or 1 1/2 months ago. I got a 60 gb back. Infact it was MY PS3 that they sent back. If it's just a blu ray drive that crapped out I'm sure they just swap em and send em back since isn't the blu ray drive the thing that craps out the most?

[quote name='oc_bastard']

My whole experience with Sony was FAR better than expected. Even though the system was pre-owned and out of warranty, there was no cost for service (due to the GTA4 issue being an early hardware defect with launch PS3s). The cardboard coffin showed up 3 days later and I had dropped off my PS3 at UPS Moday. To my surprise the replacement system was delivered to me the following week on Tuesday....and yes it was a 60 GB model with full BC. The refurb plays perfectly and runs much quieter and cooler than the original.

It seems, at least for now, Sony DOES still have refurb 60GB available for repair orders. I hope anyone sending in their 60GB has as good of an experience getting their replacemnt.[/quote]

I'm glad you had a good experience with them. It's only a matter of time before I send my system in for repair, so I too hope my experience is as good as yours was.

i found this looking for an answer for the problems a couple of friends where haveing hope it helps some of you ..........

Hey, I had the same thing happen. The first two times it happened, the restore worked, and I was able to continue using the system. A few weeks later, I received the error, and the restore wouldn't take, it would just reset and come back to the same error.

I fixed it with the following steps.

1. Took out the PS3 HDD (clicked open the cover, unscrewed the blue screw, slid drive towards the front)
2. Opened up my WD External USB drive case (runs on a 2.5" HDD)
3. Plugged the PS3 HDD into the USB case, and plugged it into my PC.
4. Ran the diskmgmt.msc from the Windows RUN in the START Menu
5. Once the drive came up, I had to right-click on it and initialize it, this gave it a drive letter.
6. Then I downloaded this little app : (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/download/fat32format.zip).
7. Extracted it, and ran the following command in a DOS prompt: fat32 format e: ***obviously replacing the e: with the drive letter you saw in the disk management window.
8. Plugged the HDD back into the Ps3, and it formatted it to it's filesystem, and all was well.

PS. I found these steps on http://www.ps3forums.com/archive/index.php/t-41928.html

Honestly it was pretty simple, the hardest part was crackinig open my external USB drive, as I didn't want to ruin it's shiny case http://www.wdc.com/global/products/imageviewer.asp?model=wdfPassp
ort_Portable_2&filter=31796&currentimage=frnt&lang=en

This post is a little old, but it took me a while to find the right steps, so I figured I'd post in here to help out the next who runs into this.
John

What's going on that this is getting corrupted so often? It should NEVER get corrupted...is this actually a common problem?

So far I've yet to see anything like this, but I haven't really put THAT much time into it. Even my 360 hasn't really gotten THAT much time-a few hundred hours probably.

My friend's PS3 died with CoD4 inside. According to what he said, the representative he talked to told him that he would have to find a way to take out the game without voiding the warranty. Otherwise, there's no guarantee he will get the game back. What the bullcrap is that?! Is this true?

Hmm...does it have some eject pin like PC drives always do? (Stares at PS3)...can't see one.

Is there some way to force it to eject? Hold down some combination of power and eject or something?

hmmm, i also want to see how this will turn out for OP. i have a 20gb ps3 and i haven't had any problems with it. i only have a few games for it, since i have a 360. i use my ps3 mostly for blu rays and dvds. i haven't had any real problems with my 20gb ps3 so hopefully nothnig bad will happen in the future.

also does dust have to do with the ps3's failure like this? i remember reading somewhere on the internets that dust build up can cause a ps3 to fail. im not sure if this is acutally true but maybe it's a factor to think about

[quote name='nintendokid']My friend's PS3 died with CoD4 inside. According to what he said, the representative he talked to told him that he would have to find a way to take out the game without voiding the warranty. Otherwise, there's no guarantee he will get the game back. What the bullcrap is that?! Is this true?[/quote]

That's a lie. That's how my system died and well how this thread got started. Unless they changed their policy, when they send you the box, they'll have instructions and a piece of paper on it and it will also ask if there is a game or movie inside and what it is. I had CoD4 stuck in mine and they sent it back to me along with the refub. I would call again because that is pure BS on their part.

So Microsoft AND Sony mail you a box you use to mail it back? But Nintendo can't manage that? Man that pisses me off. I ended up just buying a new Wii (for like one game :roll: well there will probably be others )

[quote name='Thongsy']That's a lie. That's how my system died and well how this thread got started. Unless they changed their policy, when they send you the box, they'll have instructions and a piece of paper on it and it will also ask if there is a game or movie inside and what it is. I had CoD4 stuck in mine and they sent it back to me along with the refub. I would call again because that is pure BS on their part.[/QUOTE]

Could be just covering themselves though to say that. I mean that they'll TRY to recover it, but it could get lost, or could be damaged etc.

[quote name='Thongsy']That's a lie. That's how my system died and well how this thread got started. Unless they changed their policy, when they send you the box, they'll have instructions and a piece of paper on it and it will also ask if there is a game or movie inside and what it is. I had CoD4 stuck in mine and they sent it back to me along with the refub. I would call again because that is pure BS on their part.[/quote]

Correct. There's a huge page with instructions and a section to fill out what if anything is stuck inside so they can return it to you. Whether they do or not is another thing (although they'll hear it if my Motorstorm PR doesn't come back in perfect shape).

CSR rep also took my info on what was inside so it could be returned so .....

Hopefully when and if I get my PS3 for christmas that this won't happen to me. If it does how long is their warranty?

1 year.

Tell you what though. The new 80GBs seem to be built a lot better. The thing was half the weight of my old 60BC and so far I've yet to hear a fan go off. Much nicer.

[quote name='Warner1281']Ughhhh! Pain in my @ss! I had to send back my 60gb (2nd time). I didn't want to lose all my saves (including some locked ones), [/quote]

Wait, locked saves? You mean the PS3 has games that lock their saves to the system TOO? (like the Wii?)

If so, does the Xbox do that too? If not, that'll be it, I'll use that as the excuse to finally standardize on a system. DRM pisses me off to begin with (hello, I buy games geniuses), but locking SAVE FILES?!?!

[quote name='StrandedBrit']This post will be updated on my situation :whistle2:

My PS3 officially died 11/10/08.

Coffin arrived 11/14/08. Dead PS3 mailed back on 11/15/08.

TBC.[/quote]

PS3 Mailed from Sony on 11/18/08 and due to arrive home on 11/21/08.

That's 11 days from phoning in the death to receipt of new system. Not bad.

HI, What I want to know is if u break ur warranty seal will sony STILL fix or give u a refurb ????? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back