Dead PS3 and Repair Time

[quote name='20Valver']You can avoid the $150 by fixing it yourself. Most failures are the lasers dying. Its is part number KES-400a. You can buy them online from hyratech.com for $80. If you shop around, you can probably get them for as low as $65 shipped. The ones from hyratech are the more reliable brown clipped version which replaced the faulty white clip version.

There are tutorals all over the internet on how to take the PS3 apart. Its quite simple and since the warranty is done, dont be afraid to break that seal. Even if you decide to send it in to sony, they don't care that the seal is broken, as long as you pay them $150 to fix it.[/QUOTE]

Although my laser didnt die, it was dirty. I actually just fixed my ps3 for the 2nd time today. It stopped reading BD again (i think it has alot to do with smoking near it and i have pets.) Yea its def. not hard to do, just take it slow. So for you guys out there having the same problem i have, save yourself $150 and fix it yourself. It was amazing after i cleaned the lens, it was sparkling. btw i have a 60gig.

well i got a email saying they sent it on its way yesterday so hopefully i get it back tomorrow or friday .
only worry is the tracking # they gave me isnt found on ups. ill check back later or call them

[quote name='m_d_amore']well i got a email saying they sent it on its way yesterday so hopefully i get it back tomorrow or friday .
only worry is the tracking # they gave me isnt found on ups. ill check back later or call them[/quote]
It usually (always?) takes a day or so for tracking to update.

And, if they're like most places that ship, they send the email saying it shipped when they printed the postage, so it might have just shipped today.

I had something weird happen today...

I turned on my PS3, and it acted like it was being set up for HDMI for the first time. I had to go through the process, select the two resolutions I want it to use, etc.

Then I start Resistance for the first time, and not too far into it it crashed on me I guess. It was between levels, when it's suposed to throw up a splash screen, and instead it was just black.

Does any of that mean anything? Since then though it's been fine (and apperently it crashed right after saving, so I didn't even lose anything). First crash though.

And I've ended up really liking Resistance. I hated the demo, and the first 30 minutes or so of the full game (way too hard, even on easy), but once...well you know... it goes from IMO below average to above average.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I had something weird happen today...

I turned on my PS3, and it acted like it was being set up for HDMI for the first time. I had to go through the process, select the two resolutions I want it to use, etc.[/QUOTE]

My PS3 does this too... I was wondering if it was just me... Mine was repaired during the summer of 08 (60 GB). I don't think it is anything but maybe the HDMI cable is old? Curious if it happens to others.

[quote name='iHack']My PS3 does this too... I was wondering if it was just me... Mine was repaired during the summer of 08 (60 GB). I don't think it is anything but maybe the HDMI cable is old? Curious if it happens to others.[/quote]

If you hold down the power button for ~3 seconds it goes into this mode mine does it all the time. (usually do that to change resolutions)

[quote name='iHack']My PS3 does this too... I was wondering if it was just me... Mine was repaired during the summer of 08 (60 GB). I don't think it is anything but maybe the HDMI cable is old? Curious if it happens to others.[/QUOTE]

Mine's an Metal Gear Solid bundled one with backwards compatibility from June '08. HDMI cable is Sony's Playstation branded cable. (Seems nice at any rate.)

[quote name='bjstucker']If you hold down the power button for ~3 seconds it goes into this mode mine does it all the time. (usually do that to change resolutions)[/QUOTE]

Huh...I wonder if I accidentally pushed it for that long? Or maybe since it's touch sensitive rather than a real button, it just registered a press.

Unless this happens again a bunch, I'm going to assume I must have accidentally held the button down too long. I totally forgot of that as an explanation. Thanks!

Oh and now I'm back to not liking Resistance all that much. For me it's sub par when it's functioning like Call of Duty 4 (which to me is also sub par) with big, spastic battles, but its really good when it's more intimate battles-more corridor-y and spooky. At its best so far its really fun, but it gets hard and boring during these big spastic Call of Duty moments.

I got my bay back today 3day shipping my ass. I received the same exact unit. my guess is they just swapped out the drive.

I had the same problem it was last year when i bought fifa 08 from ebay:D. I played it for about 2 month after that the ps3 start crashing:cry: then when i put it on it turned green then red then it went dead:bomb:. Now i have a ps3 wich is dead. I am gong to get it fix from albany road cardiff sim-tech world .:bouncy: I opened the ps3 on my own it is giving current but the problem is coming from the circuit board wich need pros to fix. :whee:. Hope this helped you. For more help call me on 07824355935.

my PS3 freezes sometimes, it starting to happen more often. Like I was playing Fight Night and then it frooze, actually now the controller cant turn on the system (wireless) I guess I need to re sync them.

I just had my first big problem and I don't know what to do.....

Metal Gear Solid 4 won't load up on my Metal Gear 80GB PS3 anymore. It sounds like it tries to load but doesn't, and the game has no scuffs or stratches or even a fingerprint. It just doesn't pop up in the XMB screen.

That also goes for My Incredible Hulk Blu-Ray, it won't load and does the same thing as MGS4.....I really don't want to send it to Sony and lose everything I worked for.

I was thinking of taking back to the Game shop I got it at and switch the systems out and switch the Hard Drives, but I wonder if it will know there's a different hard drive in the system and stop it from booting up.

Either way, all my other games and movies work great.....and what kills me is.....I played and beat MGS4 like 6 times already and it's worked like a charm but now it's like FORGETABOUTIT!

Someone else having this problem or know what i could do to prevent me from sending it in or fixing it myself?

It sounds like it's the game and movie that are giving you the issue, if everything else is still working fine. If other stuff stops working, then it's a different problem, like the laser is dead or dirty.

Or, it could be the start of it going out.. My laser died on my 40gb almost one year after I bought it. I replaced the laser myself, instead of sending it to Sony.

My turnaround time on my PS3 was about a week and a half to two weeks from when they sent me the box to when they returned the system to me. My repairs were done while IN warranty and they required that I send a copy of the receipt from when I bought it, as well as fill out a card with the information from the call/email that got me the 'coffin' for the system including the service order # and what was happening with it.

However, if you want repairs outside of warranty, be prepared to pay $149 plus the cost of shipping it to Sony. So if your warranty is about to lapse, get it looked at before it expires and you get a 90 day service warranty on it after you get it back.

Mine had the YLOD, and as soon as it arrived at the shop, they sent me a new one that day. I did have to pay the money, though, since I've had it for over 2 years. Still pretty quick, though. I'm impressed. It'll be back on Wednesday!

[quote name='Paco']If your system is still kicking go here. Fifty bucks for an extra two years of warranty. When I get some extra cashflow in, that's the first thing I'm getting. For that kind of peace of mind and to protect myself against junk. Four years is 100 dollars.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...=8198552921644628396&storeId=10151&langId=-1#[/QUOTE]

That service plan disqualifies me, since my warranty was up in April and it runs concurrently with your warranty, which means it happens at the SAME TIME as your warranty from Sony.

Also, the plan is ONLY available up until SIX months after when you buy your PS3.

So essentially for $50 you're getting ONE extra year of coverage, which still isn't TOO bad, but in the grander scheme of things I STILL think electronics priced over $100-150 should come with an automatic THREE year warranty out of the box.

Are you sure? It let me put it in checkout and everything despite my warranty being seven months out of warranty. I'll do it when I have money, but it didn't seem to give me a problem putting it on and purchasing it.

Has anyone dealt with a system that just lost all audio and video? My system boots up but no signal at all comes out of the system. I tried to reset it, removed the hard drive, everything I could think of and nothing still. I have used composite/component/hdmi and still nothing. After I boot up the system the green light is on and everything looks fine except for no audio/video.

[quote name='djbooba']Has anyone dealt with a system that just lost all audio and video? My system boots up but no signal at all comes out of the system. I tried to reset it, removed the hard drive, everything I could think of and nothing still. I have used composite/component/hdmi and still nothing. After I boot up the system the green light is on and everything looks fine except for no audio/video.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what happened to me. I had a 60GB backwards compatible system, which seems to be the most proned to this issue. It seems to be a motherboard issue, and it's basically impossible to truly fix on your own.

Sony will fix it for $150, and hopefully you have some recent back-up of what you're about to lose. Sony will *not* actually fix it, and just send you a refurbished unit. Or you can try and sell that for parts on Ebay, and buy a more recent model (recommended at the lower price point coming).

I'm not worried about my saves. I could care less about that. It just looks like I'm out $150. I'll probably just take out the hard drive and throw it in my friend's system to get some of the save data. If they send me a refurb, I have to figure out what SingStar songs I downloaded and call Sony to let me redownload them on to a new system. Unlike all other content, it is locked on to the system, not the account.

[quote name='djbooba']I'm not worried about my saves. I could care less about that. It just looks like I'm out $150. I'll probably just take out the hard drive and throw it in my friend's system to get some of the save data. If they send me a refurb, I have to figure out what SingStar songs I downloaded and call Sony to let me redownload them on to a new system. Unlike all other content, it is locked on to the system, not the account.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, your removal of hard drive idea sounds like a good one, but it will not work.

The moment you pop your hdd in the new system it will request a reformat, and you can't get around it.

it pretty much is the worst thing evar.

Just got my 3rd 60GB ps3 from sony after the yellow lights. was going to try plugging the hdd into my pc to gather the saves off it, but this trick also didn't work, the hdd is formatted in a way that makes reading anything off it impossible outside of the system that did the format.

Now i am a little scared to use it, wondering when the yellow light will come on again.

(first one YLOD in may, second one was july)

[quote name='djbooba']I'm not worried about my saves. I could care less about that. It just looks like I'm out $150. I'll probably just take out the hard drive and throw it in my friend's system to get some of the save data. If they send me a refurb, I have to figure out what SingStar songs I downloaded and call Sony to let me redownload them on to a new system. Unlike all other content, it is locked on to the system, not the account.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as others have posted, you cannot just try and save information from your hard-drive. Your only real option was to have run some backup. Otherwise, you will lose anything that was there.

Anything that you downloaded off the PSN is tied to the accounts on the machine. As long as they're all your accounts you're fine, as Sony will help you recover the information. However, anything *if at all* that was gameshared will be lost as it will be tied to the dead console, and Sony will refuse to help you.

As far as saves go, I was able to recover almost everything I lost (from a backup I ran a few months before it died). However, all Rockband data was lost. I'd imagine you could redownload the songs, but the actual game data was all lost.

Anyone ever replace the power supply on their PS3?

Any reputable sellers on ebay or any better places to buy?

Mine is dead and all signs point to a power supply issue.

same exact situation with me . but my system is almost 3 yrs old now so does anyone think they would do anything with my ps3? because it sounds just like everyone elses cod 4 issues . thats all i ever played now my system just starts up but it doesnt read anything and it wont go any further . so pls reply to me with thaughts

I thought might was dead too. But it opened it up and noticed the connection for the power switch circuit board was lose. So I wiggled it and got it into position and it actually lit up and came right on when I hit the switch. Where as before the red light didn't come on at all. Just gotta figure out if I can repair it myself (it won't stay in place) or order one off of ebay (looks to be $5-10 there).

I was trying to research and figure out if there is a way to test if the power supply is bad before I saw what was causing my issues... And I couldn't find anything to help me test that wasn't to involved. Did see this video but it doesn't explain things well enough for my sub-par technical skills.

I have the "green light of death" too...froze during God of War I (via the GOW collection; I knew I shoulda heeded the warnings though hadn't heard of issues with 80gb units) and had to turn it off manually. Now it'll turn on with a solid green light (and the blue light works when a disc is put in) but no audio/video output and I can't get it into safe mode either (even using the hold eject/power button simultaneously trick - I've scoured the internet for fixes). And...of course...it just ran out of warranty coverage in November. It was a MSG4 80gb BC unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jamezuva']I have the "green light of death" too...froze during God of War I (via the GOW collection; I knew I shoulda heeded the warnings though hadn't heard of issues with 80gb units) and had to turn it off manually. Now it'll turn on with a solid green light (and the blue light works when a disc is put in) but no audio/video output and I can't get it into safe mode either (even using the hold eject/power button simultaneously trick - I've scoured the internet for fixes). And...of course...it just ran out of warranty coverage in November. It was a MSG4 80gb BC unit.[/QUOTE]
I just ran into a guy that can fix systems. Check out www.gamerchronix.com
Any problems you have should only cost at most half of what Sony would charge you. Let him know I sent you over if anyone does use his services. He can fix other systems too for cheap.

[quote name='jamezuva']I have the "green light of death" too...froze during God of War I (via the GOW collection; I knew I shoulda heeded the warnings though hadn't heard of issues with 80gb units) and had to turn it off manually. Now it'll turn on with a solid green light (and the blue light works when a disc is put in) but no audio/video output and I can't get it into safe mode either (even using the hold eject/power button simultaneously trick - I've scoured the internet for fixes). And...of course...it just ran out of warranty coverage in November. It was a MSG4 80gb BC unit.[/QUOTE]

Yep... What I had on my 60GB.

Just ordered a replacement Slim though. Really disappointed.

[quote name='djbooba']I just ran into a guy that can fix systems. Check out www.gamerchronix.com
Any problems you have should only cost at most half of what Sony would charge you. Let him know I sent you over if anyone does use his services. He can fix other systems too for cheap.[/QUOTE]
Thanks though the link seems to be dead

Hmm my launch 60gb is over heating, well its been a good 2 1/2 year run

So I could send it to Sony for $150 repair
Sell it busted on ebay for around $130 (then use that along with my $150 in GS credit and buy a new slim)

I mean I care about getting my saves off the drive first and foremost...

Yea damn you sony and your encryption.

Well say I do get a slim, could I start a new account and transfer my funds to my new account? I could call Sony and have them delete the old account correct?

Well if I sell my ps3 to someone, they could get access to my account which I don't care about that much since there's not much on there, $20 or so. I don't have a credit card stored on there currently I deleted that a while ago.

I have one psx classic, 2 psn games, and like $20 worth of DLC. I know all that stuff can be re-downloaded. And all my game saves.....

Might not be a bad idea to do what others have done... if you can get it fixed for cheaper than what sony charges (and gamestop gives in credit) you could get it fixed, get all your shit off it, then trade it in and get a slim (kinda like what XXX did)... though XXX's RFG save didn't transfer... though that new firmware supports transferring "everything" via ethernet... but then you'd need to have both PS3s (or at least an extra one temporarily, from a friend or family maybe (should be able to backup then restore whatever was on the "extra" PS3 with no data loss once you're done)) at the same time... Decisions, decisions. :lol:

Sent away to the guy on a Sat, he got it Thursday, had it fixed and on its way back to me the following Tuesday, so about a week and a half

Seems some divine entity just didn't want me to play my PS3. I had played it fine yesterday afternoon, but last night, out of nowhere, when I booted it up it loaded and sat on the XMB for about 5-10 seconds, then it froze. I thought it might have been an isolated incident, so I turn it off, wait about 25-30 minutes, then try playing again. This time it didn't freeze, but all the icons never loaded, and just kept showing the loading/spinning circles.

The rest of the evening consisted of a mixture of freezing and never-ending loading circles. I eventually went into Safe Mode or whatever it is and did the Reset option that clears out all my settings, and that seemed to work...for about a minute. It ended up freezing yet again. Then, when I tried to do a file recovery/restore, it told me the hard drive was corrupted. Now I'm annoyed because I don't know if it was the HD the whole time, or dust, or God knows what. The best part is that I had bought a new external HD just two days ago to back up my PS3...which I was going to do last night.

think this is the right thread here is my problem:

So my ps3 decided not to read DVD's( flinstones season 2 disc 2 which plays fine on my dvd player and 360), blue rays( Wall e, monsters inc, and up) or games( Mirros edge which i just got from new egg and Matthazard which i was just playing last week). I tired doing the soft restart( when you hold down the power button till you hear three beeps) and nothing, Anyone know what the problem is? could it be the laser? i have the 80gb bc that came with motorstorm.

Is it common for PS3's to have many tecnical problems.
I try to keep mine in good as condition as posible, its in an open space and when its not in use its unplugged and coved up from the dust, its a 40Gb version.

Anyone know of a good link to a video/picture tutorial on how to swap out the laser from a 60 gig. I tried google, but got lots of pop up sites.

bread's done
Back