Dead Space - Gen. Discussion & Info

Gotta finish Dead Space. I don't know if I will pickup DS 2 on launch. But I will play the demo as soon its finish downloading.

[quote name='Amblix']Can't believe Gamestop still wants $18 for the first Dead Space. Was going to get it for the B2G1 deal, but meh...[/QUOTE]

Worth every penny.

before i buy dead space 2 im going to wait for a money glitch ( :p kidding! or am I?) and people's opinion on the multi

i would have loved a co-op system or mode, sure people will say it will ruin the story or the player will talk and play music. if you had a real friend they wouldn't ruin it. im not asking for 4 player co-p just 2 player. and for scary purposes they could splitt you up and disable party chat until you find each other.

[quote name='timesplitt']before i buy dead space 2 im going to wait for a money glitch ( :p kidding! or am I?) and people's opinion on the multi

i would have loved a co-op system or mode, sure people will say it will ruin the story or the player will talk and play music. if you had a real friend they wouldn't ruin it. im not asking for 4 player co-p just 2 player. and for scary purposes they could splitt you up and disable party chat until you find each other.[/QUOTE]

That last bit would be sick!!!!!! Like, without any warning or anything. That would really immerse the player, and make the game scary as fucking Hell!!

[quote name='Necrozilla']Any video reviews out yet?[/QUOTE]

No, but 2 received a 9.5 from OXM and a 9.0 from Gameinformer. Looking awesome!

The first wave of review copies were sent out to online press last week; gonna put some time in tonight and hopefully have an impressions piece this week.

Has anyone gotten a chance to read the reviews that are out there, yet? I have no doubt that the single-player is gonna be awesome. As I said earlier, I really like how they have painted as Isaac as a sort-of Ripley character, where he is now the expert on how to deal with the threat. I do wonder, though, how good the MP will be. Then again, I had my doubts about the BioShock 2 MP, as well, and I ended up playing that a lot.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Has anyone gotten a chance to read the reviews that are out there, yet? I have no doubt that the single-player is gonna be awesome. As I said earlier, I really like how they have painted as Isaac as a sort-of Ripley character, where he is now the expert on how to deal with the threat. I do wonder, though, how good the MP will be. Then again, I had my doubts about the BioShock 2 MP, as well, and I ended up playing that a lot.[/QUOTE]

OXM said that the MP was interesting, but as they put it, "nothing to keep you away from the big boys of LIVE like Black Ops or Halo". They had really good things to say about it, and gave it a 9.5. Also, bluedot, please post a review fast. And if you don't like it, feel free to send the copy my way;)

Is there a point in ds1 where it isn't so boring? I got it on the cheap a long time ago and have only made it through the first level or so. I don't like to leave games unfinished but when the controls feel clunky and the game bores me it's tough. I know some games take a several levels to get going and wasn't sure if ds1 was one of those games.

[quote name='theredworm']Is there a point in ds1 where it isn't so boring? I got it on the cheap a long time ago and have only made it through the first level or so. I don't like to leave games unfinished but when the controls feel clunky and the game bores me it's tough. I know some games take a several levels to get going and wasn't sure if ds1 was one of those games.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and just finish it. You'll thank me.

[quote name='theredworm']When does it get fun?[/QUOTE]

A little farther into the game. I'd say around 3rd chapter. There are some fetch quests, but the gameplay makes it fun.

I would at least give it a couple of more levels before you walk away. Not even the best of games will be everyone's cup of tea, but Dead Space does get quite good, so don't give up yet.

People that don't like this game initially appall me.

It's definitely the best survival horror game I've touched. Even better than my beloved RE4, crazy to say that...

[quote name='jaredstorm']People that don't like this game initially appall me.

It's definitely the best survival horror game I've touched. Even better than my beloved RE4, crazy to say that...[/QUOTE]

Yes, I don't understand it either. The "repetitive game" tag on this thread really bothers me.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']OXM said that the MP was interesting, but as they put it, "nothing to keep you away from the big boys of LIVE like Black Ops or Halo". They had really good things to say about it, and gave it a 9.5. Also, bluedot, please post a review fast. And if you don't like it, feel free to send the copy my way;)[/QUOTE]

Haha. I'm liking it just fine. Do you know if the demo starts right at the beginning of the game? I'd post impressions but it would seem redundant for those who played the demo have already experienced that part.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Haha. I'm liking it just fine. Do you know if the demo starts right at the beginning of the game? I'd post impressions but it would seem redundant for those who played the demo have already experienced that part.[/QUOTE]

Not sure. If you have some spoiler-free impressions, though, post away!!!!!

Also, we're officially within one week of release, gentlemen. Warm up your plasma cutters!

Not to point fingers, but did you ever think that some people just don't survival horror games?

That said, not an excuse to come here and thread-crap. I hope who ever put those tags in at least posted their complaints. YOu guys know you can each add tags to counter those right?

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Not sure. If you have some spoiler-free impressions, though, post away!!!!!

Also, we're officially within one week of release, gentlemen. Warm up your plasma cutters![/QUOTE]

I'll get through another chapter tonight. In the meantime, here's an interview I did with one of the producers. Notice the third to last question where he talks about how the game won't be relentless horror like the first game. Maybe it's indicative of gamers' concerns that it won't be scary enough. We'll see.

http://www.examiner.com/gaming-life...al-games-rich-briggs-on-dead-space-2-ignition

It's an old interview and was very indicative of those concerns. Relentless horror is one of the reasons I loved the original so much. The cheap scares kept me on my toes. I'll admit in the demo they delivered on making you feel like an invincible bad ass at one point but managed to retain the same scare factor of the original as well. I'm especially looking forward to Issac's twisted visions of Nicole.

So who is going to actually create the Dead Space II thread?

[quote name='2DMention']I somewhat enjoyed it when I played it, but once you get to that astroid part, you will throw the controller and give up. I did.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that part took me a few tries, but I got past it. Sometimes with tough spots in games you just need to turn it off and try it at another time. A few times I thought something was impossible only to come back a couple days later and fly past the sequence with no trouble.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']Assuming it's not common knowledge, one improvement I'm enjoying about DS2 is the lack of loading screens between chapters.[/QUOTE]

I knew this, but not exactly common knowledge. Post everything you can!!!!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']bluedot is a game journalist[/QUOTE]

While we're under review embargo until the ship date, that doesn't stop us from writing impressions pieces on partial playthroughs. Kotaku recently did that: http://kotaku.com/5733872/dead-space-2-doesnt-disappoint

If you check the timestamp of the article, that's how early the "first-wave" of review copies were sent out to press, giving us enough time to play the game thoroughly.

It's not the most practical exercise, but I'm going to attempt a piece that's a comparison between the first 5 chapters of DS1 vs. the first 5 chapters of DS2. Hope have that up by Friday.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']While we're under review embargo until the ship date, that doesn't stop us from writing impressions pieces on partial playthroughs. Kotaku recently did that: http://kotaku.com/5733872/dead-space-2-doesnt-disappoint

If you check the timestamp of the article, that's how early the "first-wave" of review copies were sent out to press, giving us enough time to play the game thoroughly.

It's not the most practical exercise, but I'm going to attempt a piece that's a comparison between the first 5 chapters of DS1 vs. the first 5 chapters of DS2. Hope have that up by Friday.[/QUOTE]

Sounds awesome! Thanks, and remember that if you don't like the game, send it my way!!!!!;)

Two of my reactions during my Chapter 3 playthrough of Dead Space 2:

"Crap, an elementary school."

"Shit. A mall."

If Chapter 3 was the chapter used for the demo, ignore me as this is obviously old news.

Thanks for the tip Ink

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much of a spoiler (not because it was in the demo - the church of unitology was but because sprawl exploration was mentioned in various magazines) but we do have tags for those sort of things. Just type [ spoiler]enclosed text[ /spoiler] and delete the spaces. I'm personally looking forward to the mall myself. Thanks for the early info.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']
Two of my reactions during my Chapter 3 playthrough of Dead Space 2:

"Crap, an elementary school."

"Shit. A mall."

If Chapter 3 was the chapter used for the demo, ignore me as this is obviously old news.

Thanks for the tip Ink[/QUOTE]

Sounds creepy! Can't wait!!!!

today ive been trucking through this game. stopped playing almost a year ago on chapter 7 now im starting chapter 12. its getting wild! but im really thankful for the waypoint beam thing that tells you where to go because theres tons of back tracking without that id be lost as hell. i still love doing zero g sections. im about to order DS2 for the PS3 so i can jump straight into 2 after i finish up this one. i love how good this game looks to it really feels like your out in space. looking forward to finishing this up.

Love it.

Few things, TK all bodies. If they don't move, they are a trap.

Also, I got lost in the story. I went through the area with Peng to the Church, and now have to go back through the Peng area to go to Gov Sector. Why did I go over there again?

I just recently started on DS2. The biggest difference between DS1 and DS2 for me were the transitions cause I kept looking for the tram stations as chapter point cutoffs. For awhile, I kept thinking, 'man, these chapters are really long, where's the damn tram station?' Until the save points gave them away.

And I'm loving the Hacker suit bonus from DS Ignition. 15% armor, up from 5%, a 3X protection goodie. And 15 inventory slots vs the default 10 slots, a 50% increase in storage capacity; nice.

So I just finished Dead Space 1. Is it advisable to download and play the iOS version of Dead Space prior to playing 2? I read on the app description that it sets the stage for Dead Space 2. Would I be missing any story elements?

A little LTP, but I just finished Dead Space and....WOW. One of the best game I have played so far. The whole atmosphere of the game really set the mood. Makes me want to play Dead Space 2 now, but first going to work on the achievements in this one.

[quote name='Pirate331']Better late than never. I need to do my 1-gun/Impossible run some day.[/QUOTE]

It took me many, many tries, but I did eventually get my One Gun/Impossible achievement. I consider that, along with completing DS2 on Hardcore, to be one of my biggest gaming achievements. Good luck!

Never noticed a difference between Impossible and Normal... I actually had lots more credits at the end of Impossible. Just abuse stasis refills and the plasma cutter is a great weapon to start with. I could do Impossible run with a level 1 suit, just would be lots of ferrying loot to the store. God, can't believe I said loot.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back