Dead Space - Gen. Discussion & Info

Big day for us Dead Space fans. The sequel was finally officially announced by EA. Also...

DeadSpace2cover.jpg

Honestly, you guys think the suit looks bad? I think it's pretty cool. It's got a sharper, more warrior like look to it, like it was meant to be worn into a fight. Maybe Isaac has been put into some type of military program to battle the necromorphs, as he's the only surviving person with first-hand experience. That'd be pretty cool!

That seems to be the most likely scenario. Isaac essentially will become a Ripley-like figure. A non-military individual who has unique information about an alien foe.

[quote name='slickkill77']I just hope they don't force unnecessary multiplayer into it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, most certainly. I'm already annoyed about BioShock 2. I would not mind some kind of co-op, though, or a "Mercenaries"-type mini-game.

[quote name='slickkill77']I just hope they don't force unnecessary multiplayer into it.[/QUOTE]

Some sort of co-op and maybe a horde type mode would be cool.

sold. very nice teaser!

I wouldn't worry too much about the rig appearance. the in-game standard had 5 [+ 1 military], and the dlc had around 4, I think?

there's a bit of an anthony carmine influence in there [teaser rig]. but what's up with the exploding boot?

please no co-op or AI partner. just expand upon the canon. a true sequel properly done right.

i just got this game today for 10 bucks at bestbuy and im chapter 3. the graphics,sound,lighting,voice acting,presentation all amazing stuff. there were even a few jump scares so far, those normally dont get me. my favorite parts so far are the zero gravity and the parts where you need your oxygen tanks to breathe. it feels so cool and space looks amazing. i'll pretty much be playing this all day tomorrow. for right now im going to watch Downfall as i fall asleep.

[quote name='sublime90']i just got this game today for 10 bucks at bestbuy and im chapter 3. the graphics,sound,lighting,voice acting,presentation all amazing stuff. there were even a few jump scares so far, those normally dont get me. my favorite parts so far are the zero gravity and the parts where you need your oxygen tanks to breathe. it feels so cool and space looks amazing. i'll pretty much be playing this all day tomorrow. for right now im going to watch Downfall as i fall asleep.[/QUOTE]

I had low expectations for Downfall, but it surprised me and was so badass.

alright now im on chapter 6 and im fighting the damn leviathan in the food storage area and he's pissing me off!!! i always get killed when he starts spewing lava balls or whatever they are at me. im trying my best to catch and toss them back but then when his arms come back and shooting lava balls i keep getting killed!! i give up for tonight.

[quote name='sublime90']alright now im on chapter 6 and im fighting the damn leviathan in the food storage area and he's pissing me off!!! i always get killed when he starts spewing lava balls or whatever they are at me. im trying my best to catch and toss them back but then when his arms come back and shooting lava balls i keep getting killed!! i give up for tonight.[/QUOTE]

that was fast! you gotta keep moving. those arms are a bitch though. and remember to grab as many pick-ups as you can. you'll need it.

edit: on my first play-through, there were two distinct parts where ammo ran low. I remember unloading on the leviathan with everything, then trying to stay alive afterwards with melee, and tk and stasis. That was intense!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, according to the article in the new issue of GI:

- Dead Space 2 will take place on a space station named "The Sprawl," which means a lot more larger areas like the bridge of the ship and the soldiers barracks
- Isaac will talk
- development team is trying to introduce weapons that will make us want to switch away from the plasma cutter
- the game will have an "online component," but no details beyond that at this time

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']trying to introduce weapons that will make us want to switch away from the plasma cutter[/QUOTE]

thanks for the summary!

good luck with that goal though. the plasma cutter was by far the best weapon. line gun and ripper were sorta okay. assault rifle had that been there done that feeling. contact beam and force gun were useless. flame thrower was fun, but ammo capacity was too limited. only reason to use any other weapon besides the 'one gun' were for the 30 kills per weapon achievements.

I think Dead Space 2 could actually use melee weapons and a shield. but its gotta be original.

[just remembered to go pick up that issue of GI, thanks BDB!]

Chapter 10, I believe.

It's really a great example of yet another thing I love about this game, and that's the story that the levels tell. In this regard, it shares a lot with Fallout 3. Even when you aren't listening to an audio log or encountering other people, which is obviously the norm for Dead Space, there are simply things about the level that tell you what happened. The levels have a life to them. And this is no different, with all the corpses laid up against the wall with their heads wrapped. Just love it.

Finally got around to reading the entire GI article. I cannot believe how fucking awesome this game is already sounding. Odd that I hit the nail on the head about Isaac essentially being the Ripley character, though I suppose not that odd, considering Aliens was an obvious influence on Dead Space. I am definitely excited about the fact that Isaac is basically nuts, and that it will be part of the game play. I loved Eternal Darkness, and that sounds like the kind of thing they are shooting for.

I just got this game and i have to say it is scary. Even scarier then Resident Evil.
Also the enemies are much harder to come by.

Bad News. I am not going to get upset because we haven't seen anything yet but I do hate the direction.

Dead Space and Dante's Inferno developer Visceral has declared that Dead Space 2 will be focused less on the previous game's horror aspects and more on action, "empowering" the player rather than leaving them caught short with an army of spindly monsters pushing them into a corner.

We actually thought that the action:horror ratio in Dead Space was already perfect, but it'll be interesting to see how the game plays if Visceral plan to tip the scales towards the action aspects.

"We're more focused on the action than the horror this time. We're more empowering to the player. We've got a lot of feature innovation and we feel comfortable because we have something with resonance and we have something that's so capable," said Visceral senior VP Nick Earl, talking to Industry Gamers.

Dead Space 2 is on course for an Earthbound landing sometime before March 2011.

Xbox360Achievements.org

Even more bad news. Taken from Game Informer. Good thing they are cutting the balls off the game for all of the little babies.

From GI Issue 201 Pg. 34: " 'What we discovered is people were - believe it or not - TOO SCARED playing Dead Space.' says executive producer Steve Papoutsis. Leveling such a complaint against a game intended to freak players out may seem silly, but it does raise the question of appropriate pacing. In Dead Space, a few things were constant: resources were scarce, enemies were plentiful, and potential danger lurked behind every door. Enduring that unwavering level of intensity can take a toll on the player. 'I've had numerous people mention to me that they could only play it for 30 minutes or an hour at a time...they were always on the edge of their seat 100% of the time,' continues Papoutsis. 'They never felt badass; they never felt like they could just walk into a room and waste guys.' "

"To address this issue Dead Space 2 features a deliberate pacing designed to to deliver both the high of combat, and the relief of breathing room - sometimes within minutes of each other. The team's goal is to vary the intensity by making the action ebb and flow; instead of always feeling like you are barely able to handle an encounter you will have moments of superiority. Maybe you just stocked up on ammo or found a new gun that decimates a particular type of enemy - during these sequences, Isaac will pose a greater threat to his foes than they do to him , blasting freely and exerting greater control over the battle."

That might be good from a gameplay standpoint but I don't know, the first game really wasn't hard or scary. I don't know how somebody could feel under powered with some of those guns.

"Enduring that unwavering level of intensity can take a toll on the player."

...Or it can provide them with a solid form of long lasting rewarding entertainment. I'm skeptical as to whether or not these changes are being made for the right reasons. On paper it just seems like yet another prime example of sacrificing good chemistry between maintaining a solid atmosphere and key game play elements to attract a completely different audience. When it comes to the horror genre (flim and games) I consider myself an absolute pansy. Dead Space brought a fairly entertaining amount of shock value to my television set, but lost even me when it came to actual terror. I'd like to know just who they were interviewing that couldn't handle finishing it in a well lit room.

Now Bioshock... was a whole entirely different story for me. Scared the living shit out of me during the first play-through but well worth the experience. I know I'd be extremely disappointed if the sequel couldn't deliver something similar because the devs were far too caught up on making the sequel appeal to everyone and everything at once.

As someone said a couple of pages ago... I sincerely hope they aren't RE5ing the game.

Here is my take. If someone is a baby and wants to be able to overpower the enemy play the game on EASY. Why do they feel the need to sacrifice something so great to cater to a group when it is already there? I do not want to play a mix of Dead Space meets Gears of War.

Why is it that simple folks who visit a message board understand this stuff better than developers and publishers? Dead Space was a hit for a particular reason. You don't screw with that formula. All you do then is alienate the people who liked the first game, and you really are not going to draw in that many new fans.

I am definitely going to hold off judgment, though, until we get closer to release. Despite what they were saying about it being less scary, I still like a lot of the other things they said in the GI article.

Eh, I feel you man. I'm starting to get tired of watching what little individuality and originality left in most of the games I've grown to appreciate and accept for what they are as is being stripped away to cater to an audience that genuinely couldn't care less about the particular genre. I understand everyone including devs have bills to pay but god damn... I'd appreciate a more balanced approach to it instead of a flat out brutal makeover which is how it usually ends up.

I guess we'll see how this turns out next year.

After playing now 12 hours (not done yet) and seen some of the scary moments in this game, i wonder why they made the creatures actually dumb.
But i realize that it is perhaps it is a horror survival game where enemies should just try to kill you.
I don't complain about the story (good) or the graphics (good), but i always think that developer give enemies a pretty dull iq.
None of the enemies actually duck away or can use a gun. Or control the ship, or parts of it?
Humanity would not need to worry about these creatures at all.

Like i said, i realize for the playability it is the way it supposed to. But if you think about it. This is just lame.
The game is overall good and balanced and i really would hope to see a DLC. Is there a DLC planed?

AI is a rather difficult thing to make. Plus its very subjective. Perhaps the developers wanted it that way.

As far as the game changes, idk. A lot of people thought the same thing about Bioshock 2 and look how that turned out. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Yes, i agree. I think it is the way they intended it to be.
But its not the only game where i notice it.
Even for the sake of scare, i wished that enemies would be at least so intelligent to use a gun or operate electronics.
I mean how will they take over if they can't even do that.
It would also benefit the gameplay somewhat more. At least that what i think.
It is a good game and i am happy to played it. But not sure in how it kills an organism if you cut away limps. ;)
In regards of Bioshock, i will be not an early adopter and i will see how everyone talks about it. But i will replay the first one again. This time on my Xbox.

I saw something similar to this posted on Joystiq earlier today. It makes me sad - taken as an action game, Dead Space wasn't all that great. It was the horror and the tension that makes it one of the best games I've ever played. They state that not being able to play it for long periods of time is a problem - I say that's what makes it special. It was done SO well, that you really get the sense of immersion that so very, very few games are capable of. Plus, it makes it easier to play, for me - I know that I can limit my play times to short bursts. And I still want to go back and continue through once my nerves have calmed down.

I have a feeling I'm going to be severely disappointed in Dead Space 2 - they're going to rip the soul out of what makes it such a special game.

right now im only on chapter 7 ive been slacking and need to get back into space. from what ive played so far the game was actually "scary" for the first 2 chapters but after that you kind of know what to expect now and becomes less scary. i agree with the other posts as well, if your upgrading your armor and weapons its pretty hard to feel underpowered. im only playing on normal as well so i assume on hard you do feel underpowered but thats the point of a hard mode. im looking forward to dead space 2 but not really interested in the multi player thats for sure, dont really know anything about it but personally i only play few games online. im really interested to see it in action.

They never felt badass; they never felt like they could just walk into a room and waste guys.

This is just bothering me so much. It's a retarded statement. Of course no one felt like a bad ass. That was the point of the game. This is like if I make a Disney animated movie, and then during development of the sequel, I talk about there wasn't enough sex and drugs in the first one. Dead Space was not suppose to be Gears of War. You aren't suppose to feel like you're controlling a bad ass. You're suppose to be a regular guy stranded in a desperate situation.

LOL @ "less survival horror and more action oriented" which loosely translates to: "If it isn't another COD or GOW clone providing a really visceral MP experience then no one worth a damn will buy it and we'll immediately go bankrupt!"

...Holy f*cking fail. Silly me for wanting to get away from THOSE games by playing something that should more or less provide a substantial departure right? Ugh. It's a damn shame some of the most current gaming sequels can only be classified as such because of a direct continuation of the original's storyline, the main character and a few familiar faces.

Last I recall devs were in theory supposed to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the original then make vast improvements while remaining true to the core (soul if you will...) of the series. Now forgive me if I'm wrong here but wasn't that survival horror? How is rebuilding a survival horror game into another faceless action hybrid catering almost entirely to a brand new audience advancing the genre in a positive way?

I'm so tired of essentially playing the same damn game just with a different title, weapons, characters and enemies because this new casual audience is too damn stubborn and lazy to appreciate anything else.

fuck this shit. I'll rent this potential disaster in the making when it comes out.

I wish i can say that i never got scared. You guy are great :)

Anyway, i finished the game and i like it. Was really nice.
Now i can make a re-run or play hard or impossible. What is impossible anyway. Did anyone played that?

p.s. i just really hoped to see a DLC for this game.

Wow, this is seriously becoming epic fail beyond belief. I was so looking forward to DS2, and now, with each article, I care less and less. If we wanted to play Modern Warfare, we'd play Modern Warfare. DS2 will just be another game trying to be something it is not, and it will fail.

bread's done
Back