Dead Space - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='yester']
Now i can make a re-run or play hard or impossible. What is impossible anyway. Did anyone played that?
[/QUOTE]

I played impossible and it really wasn't that bad.

Reading the quotes about DS2 makes me sad. DS was one of the few games that I played multiple times to get the 1000 GS. There was good tension in the game, but I felt the pacing was good. If I needed to "relax" after a big fight then I just ran to one of the safe zones and upgraded weapons, armor, etc.

On Facebook, the game's executive producer, Steve Papoutsis, had this to say about the concerns:

When we started making DS1 some of the elements we included such as moving while shooting and a more agile hero were things that were different for a Survival Horror game. We are keeping horror as a major component in DS2, losing our horror roots would simply be a bad idea.

Vague, but it gives us some hope.

Yeah, and the thing about the other game that supposedly has you command a planet-cracker and defend your ore from pirates. Both sound cool, so I'm in if they're true.

I hope its true. I was considering getting a Wii just to play Extraction. (it'd be nice for other things as well)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Riiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhtttt.

I'll believe it when I see it in the final product.[/QUOTE]

Well, keep in mind that the whole "Modern Warfare-like action" quote come from a VP in the company. He's trying to sell the game to a wider audience, so he invoked the name of one of the most popular game series out there. That way, you rattle the cages of all the fans of other series.

As I stated earlier, I'm a bit concerned, too, but now you have a quote from a person who actually involved with the game. If all we have is quotes so far, I'll give more weight to his quote than I would to someone is just trying to get the game into more people's hands. There's definitely going to be more action in this one, but remembers the game's major influences: the Alien series. The first movie was all about trying to survive against one alien without much in the way of weaponry. Then, with Aliens, you had a lot more action.

enjoying the game. gamestop employee said free downloads. yea like 2 years ago... the games got a lot of none free dlc and as a CAG me no like that.. i only have enough to get the scorpion/elite pack but i dont need it!

Hi,
how many times to you have to run through the game to max out all weapons?
I run so far two times through it and still have 4 weapons not even touched.
Kinda mist also the Peng treasure (how much money is that anyway).
I assuming that you have to run 4 times through the game. Am i right?

[quote name='yester']Hi,
how many times to you have to run through the game to max out all weapons?
I run so far two times through it and still have 4 weapons not even touched.
Kinda mist also the Peng treasure (how much money is that anyway).
I assuming that you have to run 4 times through the game. Am i right?[/QUOTE]

I can't remember exactly but I think it was either 1.5 or 2.5 playthroughs. I want to say I went around 1/2 or a little more on my second playthrough, maxed out all weapons and then started impossible mode but I can't remember. You definitely don't have to do more than 2 playthroughs just to max out the weapons though, I think...

Then i did something wrong. I collected nod's but there were not enough to fill them in all of the weapons. I only have 3 weapons max. out plus stasis etc..
:(

[quote name='yester']Then i did something wrong. I collected nod's but there were not enough to fill them in all of the weapons. I only have 3 weapons max. out plus stasis etc..
:([/QUOTE]
You're spending money on ammo and health packs, aren't you.

Here's how you do it: only carry 2 guns (or just the plasma cutter if you're going for the one gun achievement). Keep the rest in storage. You'll pick up ammo mostly for just the guns you have on you (so you'll have plenty). Sell any ammo you pick up for guns you aren't carrying.

Unless you're playing on hard or impossible you won't need most of the extra health packs or stasis you pick up; keep maybe 2 or 3 health packs and 1 stasis refill and sell the rest. The Peng statue is worth $30k so definitely pick that up too; it's in the hanger when you return there during chapter 11, down below the railings (you'll need kinesis to grab it).

You should now have enough extra spacebucks to purchase the nodes you need to max out your gear. (Keep in mind that you must own all the weapons at once to do this... DON'T sell them when you max them out)

[quote name='slickkill77']Since there's no Dead Space 2 thread and I don't feel like creating it.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088960p1.html[/QUOTE]

nice! thank you slickkill77.

I love it. The new screenshots ooze anticipation. development looks spot on. let's hope publisher/marketing doesn't screw the fan base.

I think Dead Space 2 [DS2] ought to have auto-unlocks based upon reading your Dead Space 1 save file, and enable cool, ready to use features for veterans. [Along the same lines as Lost Planet 2 and Gears of War 2, eh? Com'on, this isn't too much to ask is it?]

Since DS2 is a direct continuation from DS1, wouldn't it make sense for your fully-upgraded weapons to be carried over? At least some of it, I can understand 7 fully powered up weapons may over-power the environmental mood, but maybe at least 1 or 2 weapons which Clarke had with him on the escape shuttle?

A fully upgraded plasma cutter for vets would do it. The option to choose your loadout from any of the previous 7 would be a dream. [detects 'maxed out' achievement] Veterans can still work on upgrading the trip mines and javelin gun; amongst others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how you can shoot glass to have the enemies sucked out and then shoot the airlock to close the window. I also like how you can shot class and then use telekensis to throw the glass at enemies.

[quote name='javeryh']I just started playing this again last night for some reason. I'm still a pussy and I still get scared.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. I jump every time that tentacle bursts out of the wall!

Yet another game in my backlog. I think once I'm done with Red Faction: Guerrilla this'll be the next game up. I love the game and gameplay, but I wish it had a "save anywhere" feature since my playtime sometimes doesn't allow for getting to the next save spot.

[quote name='chankk']and suck it... just came to say the game is cool. i might pick it up if the price is right[/QUOTE]

Hey that was necessary

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Don't worry. I jump every time that tentacle bursts out of the wall![/QUOTE]

I played all the way through when it came out so I didn't think it would be scary again but I think the combination of the dark and the sound effects is what does it for me.

[quote name='javeryh']I played all the way through when it came out so I didn't think it would be scary again but I think the combination of the dark and the sound effects is what does it for me.[/QUOTE]

True. The sound effects are effing amazing, and they really set the mood. I hope number two can do the same!!!! I just have to get a good surround sound system, instead of my TV speakers, and then it will be really awesome!!!

with all this DS2 hype building up (new screens and trailer) reminds me i stopped playing DS1 around chapter 7, i need to go back dont know why i got side lined. i hope the rumors are true about the wii game being ported to the xbox live, id play that game but i dont have a wii.

[quote name='sublime90']i hope the rumors are true about the wii game being ported to the xbox live, id play that game but i dont have a wii.[/QUOTE]

you mean Dead Space Extraction? I don't know if on-rail shooting works well with the pacing of survival horror. part of the fear comes from submersion and individual pacing, some things on-rail shooters do not do well. in Dead Space, if you needed a moment to collect yourself, you could do that. on-rails? forget about it.

True. But as a person who doesn't own a Wii, I'd still like the chance to play Extraction, if just for the story elements. Sure, I could watch videos online, but that just isn't the same as playing a game.

I need help. I'm in the last chapter of Dead Space and I discovered a show stopping bug regarding the Marker.
I'm trying to drag the marker into the final room that is shape like an 'L'. As I drag it along using kinesis, i found it gets stuck in the transition room where you activate the doors. I can't seem to move the damn thing.

I'm really bummed about this. Can anyone help me with this?

[quote name='Xevious']I need help. I'm in the last chapter of Dead Space and I discovered a show stopping bug regarding the Marker.
I'm trying to drag the marker into the final room that is shape like an 'L'. As I drag it along using kinesis, i found it gets stuck in the transition room where you activate the doors. I can't seem to move the damn thing.

I'm really bummed about this. Can anyone help me with this?[/QUOTE]

So you've already beaten the dark brute then right? did you go into the long air vent as well? I remember this segment well, the marker shouldn't stop at all. your telekinesis should keep moving it along. oh, there's a bridge you'll have to lift, then freeze with stasis, then quickly move the marker again. Yeah, I think that's it.

oh, and load up with ammo. like in lots of ammo. good luck, Bro.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']So you've already beaten the dark brute then right? did you go into the long air vent as well? I remember this segment well, the marker shouldn't stop at all. your telekinesis should keep moving it along. oh, there's a bridge you'll have to lift, then freeze with stasis, then quickly move the marker again. Yeah, I think that's it.

oh, and load up with ammo. like in lots of ammo. good luck, Bro.[/QUOTE]

I finished the long air vent and killed the brute and I was able to pass the marker along the two bridges to the next. This is where the problem begins. I am unable to move the marker past that the transitory room where the 2 gigantic doors are. It just gets stuck there.

I seems like a huge bug in the game.

EDIT: I went on the EA forums and I could not find any mention of this bug. There is a mention of this bug on Yahoo though. Someone posted this but he got no response.

[quote name='Pirate331']You're spending money on ammo and health packs, aren't you.

Here's how you do it: only carry 2 guns (or just the plasma cutter if you're going for the one gun achievement). Keep the rest in storage. You'll pick up ammo mostly for just the guns you have on you (so you'll have plenty). Sell any ammo you pick up for guns you aren't carrying.

Unless you're playing on hard or impossible you won't need most of the extra health packs or stasis you pick up; keep maybe 2 or 3 health packs and 1 stasis refill and sell the rest. The Peng statue is worth $30k so definitely pick that up too; it's in the hanger when you return there during chapter 11, down below the railings (you'll need kinesis to grab it).

You should now have enough extra spacebucks to purchase the nodes you need to max out your gear. (Keep in mind that you must own all the weapons at once to do this... DON'T sell them when you max them out)[/QUOTE]

I think i messed it totally up. I am ashamed to admit that i play already 4 times and still have not all nodes. :whistle2:#
But yes, i did buy stuff too and well...haha.. i love the game and could play it well a lot of times.
Got to plan the achievements better to not have to replay it to often.
The one i just can't get as an achievement is the secret one where you blast asteroids. I always miss some. Hate these kind of achievements.
But thanks for the input. Next time i will be more careful. ;)

[quote name='reddjoey']I'm sure you guys saw the Dead Space Extraction coming to XBLA rumor[/QUOTE]

So far, its an exclusive to the Playstation. Not mentioning on anything related to Xbox.
Mm.. hope it will be true what you said.

As usual, I'm super-late to the party here; I hated the demo but everyone says the game is amazing, so I finally picked it up because I knew it was going to bug me until I bought it, and I'm really glad I did. Turns out the demo is just crap, I have a really hard time putting it down. I only finally went to bed last night because I'm nearing the
Leviathan
and that sounds like something I didn't want to do at 4 in the morning.

I know how you feel about the demo, it wasn't so great for me so I never got the game. Then wanting to play something on demand I saw Dead Space and decided to pick it up for $20. Played through it all without being able to stop. Everything was amazing from gameplay to story and I'm for sure going to pre-order the sequel.

You should also see the animated movie and read the comics. They're excellent.

Yeah, the demo's no fun because you're underpowered and you die instantly and I understand why that's a turnoff, but I had a really hard time putting it down at night. I just finished it, though, and with 35 achievements. That makes me pretty happy, too, because I hate it when you finish a game and only have, like, four achievements, Gears of War. I missed the ADS cannon ones because fuck the ADS cannons. I'm sure I'll go back and try for the rest of them, but I think I've had enough action for a few days.

Most satisfying moment of the game was
when the Hive Mind beat the shit out of Kendra and slammed her into a wall.
The cool part now is I don't have to wait two years for the sequel.

[quote name='slickkill77']The Dead Space 2 demo is out[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Any thoughts before I queue this baby up to play later?

Wasn't bad. Had some good jumpy moments unfortunately its most of the E3 demo level so we've already seen a lot of it. The beginning part of the level is very repetitive looking. Definitely a bloodier game, and more action packed.

Trying to download the demo but XBL is being a bitch. The demo for the first one was crap but the actual game is amazing.

Solid demo. It didn't seem like the increased emphasis on action skewed the formula too much so I hope the same levels are retained in the real game. The only issue I've got is them slapping on a twenty-something sounding VA on a character in his late forties but I'll get over it eventually. From what I've read they've decided to take a L4D approach with the multiplayer which is straight - I'll play it. I just wish they included a Gears-esque horde mode instead as I've already played that franchise and game mode to death. Randoms + teamwork of any kind does not mix. I pray more than a couple people on my FL buy this.

Sick, downloading the demo now.

I loved Dead Space. Hell, I limited myself to the plasma cutter on the first playthrough and I enjoyed every minute of it.

The DS2 demo is fantastic. The graphics are even better than the first game. It's still scary and creepy. DS2 will be the first game I buy at retail on launch day in the last few years.

bread's done
Back