[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Seizonsha']Called up the Microsoft Store this morning. Was on hold for only 3 minutes. Got the order in quick and painless.
Had it ordered from amazon, then digital river, now here.[/QUOTE]
Were you able to cancel the Digital River order?

[quote name='Guerrilla']Were you able to cancel the Digital River order?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, through here:

https://windows7.digitalriver.com/s...layContactFormPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=mswpus

Sent an email and got cancellation conformation about 9 hours later. But they already took the $42 out of my account, and said it was the pre-authorization charge. The money is back as of today. It was listed under pending w/ some other stuff I ordered. Those are gone as well (the bank is probably just updating the account) so I'm hoping it doesn't come back with my other orders when the banks done updating.

I called up Microsoft yesterday and it went pretty quick and painless (not counting the time on hold, I think I chose the wrong time of day)

Was able to order the full version of Win 7 Professional with 2 day shipping for a total of $39.98

[quote name='schultzed']So this WISC offer is for the "better" Pro version where the other deal is for Home Premium . . .

It sounds like I should pay the extra bucks . . . right?[/QUOTE]

I ordered through the Microsoft Store, my total was only $37.08 with tax shipped to Michigan. It's for Windows 7 Professional FULL edition (or pro upgrade and Home premium full/upgrade, your choice). Best deal yet if you want the whole package in a retail box.

Heres the site: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional/product/B985134B

[quote name='schultzed']WISC (for students and faculty at many Wisconsin colleges) has just announced their deal.

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade 32-bit Student Select Media and License for Students, Faculty, and Staff
Part#: 53717
Price: $42.95

An email explains:

"Windows 7 is now for sale on the WISC site. We're selling the Pro Edition for $42.95 and the Ultimate Edition for $82.95. Both of those are either 32- or 64-bit, and the selling price includes one upgrade license, installation media, and delivery. The only additional charge is sales tax, which we will add to every order delivered in Wisconsin.

If you choose to order now, we will charge your credit card immediately, but we cannot deliver your order before October 22nd (Microsoft's general availability date).

The Windows 7 Pro price of $42.95 is a special, limited-time offer that will expire around the end of 2009."

This sounds to me like a good deal. If $30 is a base price + $13 for a disc . . . Then $43 for a disc version of the Pro Edition should be fine.

How much was the preorder deal? (from summer)[/QUOTE]
You should read the posts on this page of the thread. post above mine. We were able to get the full version of Home or Pro for $30 download or $35 shipped with disc. I hope they mean includes both 32 & 64 bit as they're supposed to be both included together. The preorder deal through Amazon in the summer was $50 shipped.

[quote name='Seizonsha']I ordered through the Microsoft Store, my total was only $37.08 with tax shipped to Michigan. It's for Windows 7 Professional FULL edition (or pro upgrade and Home premium full/upgrade, your choice). Best deal yet if you want the whole package in a retail box.

Heres the site: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional/product/B985134B[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying. I'd pay extra to get the pro edition but if I can save $10, going this route and still get the Pro edition, why not?

I'm going to try the MS store.

[quote name='Seizonsha']I ordered through the Microsoft Store, my total was only $37.08 with tax shipped to Michigan. It's for Windows 7 Professional FULL edition (or pro upgrade and Home premium full/upgrade, your choice). Best deal yet if you want the whole package in a retail box.

Heres the site: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional/product/B985134B[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I only had to wait about 10-15 minutes. The best part was that I was able to order both my copy and my girlfriend's copy during the same call; the CSR said it wasn't a problem as long as we had separate working .edu addresses. While I had to give all the information twice, it beat having to wait twice!

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but I cannot find a clear answer in this thread so far.

I am currently running Windows Vista Home Premium. I understand that upgrading to Windows 7 Professional will be require a clean install.

But some people seem to be saying that I will not be able to use the "Upgrade" version of Windows 7 (i.e., the version being sold by Digital River) at all, and that I will therefore need to purchase the "Full" edition. Is this the case?

[quote name='mokmoof']Thanks, but neither that link nor the Upgrade Advisor answers my question.

My question is: Is there any reason that I might need the Full version, rather than the Upgrade version, if I am going from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional?[/QUOTE]

Considering they are the exact same price I'd just say be safe and order the full version. That way if the upgrade wouldn't work you're not out anything and it saves the trouble.

[quote name='PuNK45S']Considering they are the exact same price I'd just say be safe and order the full version. That way if the upgrade wouldn't work you're not out anything and it saves the trouble.[/QUOTE]

I know it's less than $10, but it would be nice not to have to pay for shipping. So does anyone know whether it matters?

[quote name='mokmoof']I know it's less than $10, but it would be nice not to have to pay for shipping. So does anyone know whether it matters?[/QUOTE]

If you go to the microsoft site you can get the full-version as a download as well.

[quote name='PuNK45S']If you go to the microsoft site you can get the full-version as a download as well.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize. Thanks for the information.

I contacted Digital River about canceling my order, and I got this in return:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Windows 7 Offer online store.

We apologize for the confusion.

The Windows 7 offered in this promotion is a full version. You can
install this product even though you do not have a previous Operating
System installed in your computer or if you want to make a multi boot
using Windows 7. The "Upgrade" included in the product name is just
because Windows 7 is the latest Operating System Windows developed.

Sincerely,
Paul L.
Windows 7 Offer online store
Customer Service
studentwindows.us@digitalriver.com

Does this mean, then, that there is no meaningful difference between what Digital River is selling and what Microsoft is selling?

(I just want to get a clear answer here, for others as well as for myself. Sorry if I'm being tedious).

[quote name='mokmoof']I didn't realize. Thanks for the information.

I contacted Digital River about canceling my order, and I got this in return:

Does this mean, then, that there is no meaningful difference between what Digital River is selling and what Microsoft is selling?

(I just want to get a clear answer here, for others as well as for myself. Sorry if I'm being tedious).[/QUOTE]

Okay, this is I know to the best of my knowledge, if anything is incorrect anyone please feel free to correct me.

Digital River
With Digital River you get Windows 7 Pro or Home Premium, many people have been told different things by Digital River about whether it is the Upgrade or Full version. Remember that they are selling the DOWNLOAD of Windows 7 for $29.99. You can choose to have a backup disc shipped for $13 but I don't think it will come in a retail like box, just a basic backup disc (thats what it seems like, I cant confirm this).

Microsoft Store
Here you can order Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional, and they will ask if you want the Upgrade or Full version. You also have the choice of a download version or a shipped version (potentially both). If you want the shipped version, shipping is $5. This would be for any version of your choosing in a RETAIL box. No messing with downloads, keys, etc.

Windows 7 SHIPPED

DR $42.99
MS $35.00 +tax

In my opinion, if you want a physical disk, I would go with the Microsoft Store, it's not that I don't trust Digital River, I just trust MS more.

If you want just a download, then it's just what ever store you prefer, because I believe they are both only 29.99 for the download.

As for needing the full or upgrade version, since you are going from Vista Home Premium to 7 Professional, you would have to do a clean install. Both the Full and Upgrade versions are capable of doing a clean install, but if you want to guarantee no problems (something major happens during the install and you lose your vista OS or something, which is unlikely though) the full version will be able to install regardless. (and it's the same price so go full)

Ordered my full copy on Monday, thanks for all of the information for those who have posted it, and thanks of making us aware of this deal OP. W00t!

Thank you so much for the information! I missed Amazon's summer sale and been looking to get it for cheap! Just ordered mine and can't wait to get it!

[quote name='Seizonsha']Okay, this is I know to the best of my knowledge, if anything is incorrect anyone please feel free to correct me.

Microsoft Store
Here you can order Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional, and they will ask if you want the Upgrade or Full version. You also have the choice of a download version or a shipped version (potentially both). If you want the shipped version, shipping is $5. This would be for any version of your choosing in a RETAIL box. No messing with downloads, keys, etc.

Windows 7 SHIPPED

DR $42.99
MS $35.00 +tax

In my opinion, if you want a physical disk, I would go with the Microsoft Store, it's not that I don't trust Digital River, I just trust MS more.

If you want just a download, then it's just what ever store you prefer, because I believe they are both only 29.99 for the download.
[/QUOTE]

Do I have to call the number they have on there, to get the Student Discount? Or can I apply it online during the checkout process? I'm kind of confused on what I have to do.

[quote name='aerozero']Do I have to call the number they have on there, to get the Student Discount? Or can I apply it online during the checkout process? I'm kind of confused on what I have to do.[/QUOTE]

The only way to get in on the Microsoft Store deal is through calling. Just tell them you want the Windows 7 student deal. They'll ask for you .edu email address and then you just tell them what version you want etc.

1-877-MY-MS-STORE

Thanks Punk45S, for the heads up on ordering through Microsoft.

I was on hold for about 12 minutes (just left it on speaker), but it took maybe 4-5 minutes to get through the entire ordering process after that. The call rep was saying they were getting hammered with people placing their pre-orders. So I would just wait for a few more minutes if you can JolietJake.

Can't wait to upgrade Vista on my laptop to 7!!!

[quote name='Tyga24']Thanks Punk45S, for the heads up on ordering through Microsoft.

I was on hold for about 12 minutes (just left it on speaker), but it took maybe 4-5 minutes to get through the entire ordering process after that. The call rep was saying they were getting hammered with people placing their pre-orders. So I would just wait for a few more minutes if you can JolietJake.

Can't wait to upgrade Vista on my laptop to 7!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, you may be on hold for awhile, but once you get through it's all really quick and easy.

Does anyone know if the digital download can be saved onto a disc and run just like a actual disk for if i want to ever reformat my computer after I load it on? I'm assuming so, but just want to make sure.

I never got a confirmation email and I didn't want to risk not getting the deal so I called them again and had to spend another 45 minutes on hold. Total time spent on hold with them 1 hour 30 minutes. Thank god for speaker phone. Turns out they sent the original email to the wrong email address...

[quote name='J7.']I never got a confirmation email and I didn't want to risk not getting the deal so I called them again and had to spend another 45 minutes on hold. Total time spent on hold with them 1 hour 30 minutes. Thank god for speaker phone. Turns out they sent the original email to the wrong email address...[/QUOTE]

The guy that helped me actually had me check my e-mail before he hung up, he made it seem like mistakes like that happen quite a lot, so I guess I got lucky and had a guy nice enough to have me check first.

I went through most of the thread but I just wanna verify a couple things here.

I'm running Windows Vista Home, and I want to do a clean install for Windows 7.

I have a preorder on Amazon for the Windows 7 Home for $50, but is the Professional really that much better?

And to get in on a $30 Professional, I have to call that 1-877 number and preorder it? I just give them my email and away they go, and then I get a full version in the mail?

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']I went through most of the thread but I just wanna verify a couple things here.

I'm running Windows Vista Home, and I want to do a clean install for Windows 7.

I have a preorder on Amazon for the Windows 7 Home for $50, but is the Professional really that much better?

And to get in on a $30 Professional, I have to call that 1-877 number and preorder it? I just give them my email and away they go, and then I get a full version in the mail?[/QUOTE]

You have to give them an e-mail associated with a college (if they actually check or care)

You can order the home edition as well for $30. You get a choice between either Home or Professional. So even if you aren't that interested you'd be saving $20 by going through Microsoft with a college e-mail.

The whole point of my post was to see if the Professional version is really worth going through them instead, and to ask if this is the full version of the software, where I can do a clean install with the Professional they're offering.

Called about 20 mins ago. Was on the phone for about 11 mins which isn't too bad. Ordered Win 7 professional and the rep said it was the full version.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']The whole point of my post was to see if the Professional version is really worth going through them instead, and to ask if this is the full version of the software, where I can do a clean install with the Professional they're offering.[/QUOTE]
They offer the full version of it and you can do clean install. I went for Home though because I figure I won't use XP compatibility mode and if I want to I can do the upgrade option and not have to worry about transferring programs and files. Also it may be cheaper and easier to go from Win 7 Home to the next Windows Home than to go from Win 7 Pro to the next Windows Home or Pro when the time comes.

I'll try calling again when i get home. Is it possible to order more than 1 copy or are they limiting it to 1 per person?

Attempting to get mine now through my sister, on hold for over 24 minutes so far...... I hope this works because I plan on upgrading my computer before putting it on, HDD included. I kinda need the full version now even though I pre-ordered the upgrade on Amazon when it was 50% off. Wish me luck dudes! :pray:

It took about 1 hour between holding and placing the order but I got it! :bouncy: I got the Full version Windows 7 Pro DVD, it came up to about 44 bucks with tax and 2 day shipping.

Thank you for sharing the info guys, I love all of you! \\:D/

I'm really sorry to be a pain, but there's one point on which we still have no clear answer in this thread: What is the actual difference between an "Upgrade" version and a "Full" version?

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm really sorry to be a pain, but there's one point on which we still have no clear answer in this thread: What is the actual difference between an "Upgrade" version and a "Full" version?[/QUOTE]

Upgrade Version - Use if you are currently running Xp or Vista

Full Version - Everything else

I think with the upgrade version you need your discs for XP or Vista, or the Product Key for them. With the full version you just need the disc/key for Win 7.

[quote name='pure skill']In addition to mokmoof's question, can you get the full version through this promotion?[/QUOTE]
If you look up 2 posts from yours you will find your answer.

I'm sorry, I worded that wrong and wasn't specific enough. I meant can it be gotten through Microsoft and can we get the full retail package(the plastic case, disc, etc.)? If this has already been confirmed too, just assume I'm a dumbass and ignore me. Sorry, or thanks in advance whichever the case may be.

If only they had Ultimate. I really don't feel like doing a clean install of Professional. :( I'll probably still wind up ordering it, though.

[quote name='J7.']I think with the upgrade version you need your discs for XP or Vista, or the Product Key for them. With the full version you just need the disc/key for Win 7.[/QUOTE]

Again, not to be a pain, but what is your source on that?

If that's the only difference, then it's no big deal for me, as I do indeed have my Vista key handy.

Edit: And also, thanks for the answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed something, the bit about ordering over the phone is gone from the product page.

edit- Oops, yeah i don't see it either.

bread's done
Back