[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
if you are a student, check to see if your school enrolls you with MSDNAA, you can get it for free along with almost every program microsoft makes. My undergrad and grad school did this for me.

[quote name='Frythan']if you are a student, check to see if your school enrolls you with MSDNAA, you can get it for free along with almost every program microsoft makes. My undergrad and grad school did this for me.[/QUOTE]My school has one, emailed the guy that was listed Thursday and I haven't heard anything from him. I could call him up but I dont want to get on his nerves if he got my email.

I called last night and the rep allowed me to buy multiple copies with one .edu address as long as they were for different machines or something like that.

Called a little while ago and the deal is still good as of right now. I had to go through 3 people. 1st guy didn't know what he was talking about and directed me to the website to order, when I said I wanted to speak with someone else he transferred me to customer service. Then customer service transferred me back to the store. And then I got a lady that knew what was going on. $37.81 for Windows 7 Professional. $29.99 + Shipping ($4.99) + Tax. 30 mins out of my morning.

Now to see if I can get my money back from Digital River.

did the reps specifically ask for an edu address? I want to call in but I am at work and dont want to waste a good 30 mins.

i started dl'ing my digital river order this morning.

so im installing the digital river download..

do they not give you an .iso? It seems to have just unpacked to my desktop etc.
I will need to do a custom install

well I installed a professional upgrade and a ultimate upgrade today.
With the professional it asked for the cd key and checked to see if i had an early version of windows.
with ultimate, i did a clean instal direct from a windows 7 RC, and it did not ask for a cd key for some reason...
oh and..
for calling MS do you need to specifically say you're a college student looking to buy windows 7? do i need to mention the price?

[quote name='quatrevav35']for calling MS do you need to specifically say you're a college student looking to buy windows 7? do i need to mention the price?[/QUOTE]
I told em I saw the student promo on Digital River site and asked if I could order the full version since I had WinXP Pro. They asked for my .edu email and let me order a copy for $35 + tax (shipped).

Just for the record, I went to go and buy this and it said "If you need to access your School Network, you can also get the Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 32 bit for $29.99 as well". This is an insanely good deal. Thanks SO MUCH OP!

I'm considering to get two copies (if I can). One for my desktop and one for my laptop. Though for now I'll just get one since my desktop only has 2GB of RAM (boo). Thanks again!

[quote name='goomba478']Just for the record, I went to go and buy this and it said "If you need to access your School Network, you can also get the Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade - 32 bit for $29.99 as well". This is an insanely good deal. Thanks SO MUCH OP!

I'm considering to get two copies (if I can). One for my desktop and one for my laptop. Though for now I'll just get one since my desktop only has 2GB of RAM (boo). Thanks again![/QUOTE]

If you order from the MS Store, you can get the 32 bit and 64 bit on Disc for the same price, plus shipping

well i got the digital river downloaded win 7 installed.. you dont get an iso rather just unpacks... you run the exe which unpacks install directories.. then computer restarts and install begins.

honesly i just would of preferred a downloadable iso.

But w.e its working..like vista it keeps a windows.old folder on the root

I just installed Windows 7 after downloading the files from the Digital River site.

1. You don't get a .iso file. You download the things and it unpacks all the files into folder.
2. Currently there is an error with the unpacking at the very end, but it doesn't matter.
3. In one of the Microsoft forums, it explains how to convert the unpacked files into a .iso file which you can burn into a bootable DVD. So anyone who bought the backup DVD just wasted $13.
4. I booted up from the DVD. You can upgrade if you have the correct version of Vista or you can do a clean install.
5. I did a clean install. It only asked for my Windows 7 CD key.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Anybody that requested a hardcopy had their order shipped yet? Mine is processing.[/QUOTE]

I was charged this morning, but my status said delayed. It just switched to processing with the the last hour or so. I thought they only charged when it shipped, so who knows?

Digital River email got here last night, took an hour or so to download and 2 hours to install. Thanks again OP.

One thing I've noticed about 7 is that the taskbar and window pane transparency actually works in Aero. The taskbar itself is vastly different, very reminiscent to something you'd see on a Mac, but can easily be configured to something more standard-looking without actually having to go back to Windows Standard/Classic themes.

WMP12 will definitely take some getting used to. I don't fully understand the new Libraries system or why that icon can never be deleted.

I haven't tried out too many games yet but one of the games that crashed a lot on Vista still crashes a lot, haha.

Boot time feels longer, but programs such as Steam load much faster.

All my hardware was compatible and required absolutely no changes in settings. Considering how many things on my XP machine were incompatible with my Vista machine (my fucking network card, for one) this seems like a small miracle in itself. Only one program didn't work (Ultramon - a tool for managing multiple monitors) and this was easily fixed by installing a recent beta version with Win7 support.

I feel as though I've only scratched the surface so far. I have yet to discover all the new features...

Has anyone done a full install (not an upgrade install) and if so how did you get your original programs that came with your PC onto your new Win 7?

[quote name='Frythan']if you are a student, check to see if your school enrolls you with MSDNAA, you can get it for free along with almost every program microsoft makes. My undergrad and grad school did this for me.[/QUOTE]
How do you check that?

Been on hold nearly 30 minutes so far. I tried yesterday, and made it to about 11 or so minutes before someone picked up the phone and just hung up. That'd better not happen again.

[quote name='lmz00']Been on hold nearly 30 minutes so far. I tried yesterday, and made it to about 11 or so minutes before someone picked up the phone and just hung up. That'd better not happen again.[/QUOTE]

could you please provide me there phone number? Like to place an order myself..

thanks

[quote name='shadylane']could you please provide me there phone number? Like to place an order myself..

thanks[/QUOTE]
877-696-7786

45 minutes now. :(

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone done a full install (not an upgrade install) and if so how did you get your original programs that came with your PC onto your new Win 7?

How do you check that?[/QUOTE]

Everything is put in C:\Windows.old during the installation. Everything I needed I got out of there. All my games seem to work fine.

I pre-ordered mine over a week ago for 2 day shipping and I haven't gotten a shipment confirmation yet. I was told they were gonna ship them about 1-2 days early.

I'm starting to worry. I might have to call them up again.

I accidentally ordered the 64-bit Home Premium when I needed the 32-bit. Will they exchange it out since I haven't used the product key or will I have to try to trade with someone?

[quote name='BShea']I accidentally ordered the 64-bit Home Premium when I needed the 32-bit. Will they exchange it out since I haven't used the product key or will I have to try to trade with someone?[/QUOTE]

If it is from Microsoft I'm pretty sure you can exchange it. Digital River I do not know.

[quote name='PrototypeM']I just installed Windows 7 after downloading the files from the Digital River site.

1. You don't get a .iso file. You download the things and it unpacks all the files into folder.
2. Currently there is an error with the unpacking at the very end, but it doesn't matter.
3. In one of the Microsoft forums, it explains how to convert the unpacked files into a .iso file which you can burn into a bootable DVD. So anyone who bought the backup DVD just wasted $13.
4. I booted up from the DVD. You can upgrade if you have the correct version of Vista or you can do a clean install.
5. I did a clean install. It only asked for my Windows 7 CD key.[/QUOTE]

Here's a link for accomplishing that: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/how_burn_your_student_copy_windows_7_dvd

Last edited by a moderator:
so since I got the "Upgrade version", and I am upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. In the case I need to reformat my computer down the line do I have to reinstall Windows XP first once I reformat in order to install my "Upgrade" version of Windows 7? Or will I just be able to use my Windows 7 Upgrade disc to reformat my computer?

[quote name='tenzor']so since I got the "Upgrade version", and I am upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. In the case I need to reformat my computer down the line do I have to reinstall Windows XP first once I reformat in order to install my "Upgrade" version of Windows 7? Or will I just be able to use my Windows 7 Upgrade disc to reformat my computer?[/QUOTE]

You will need to reinstall Windows XP in order to "upgrade" back to Windows 7.

Don't forget that you cannot directly upgrade from XP and that you will need to do a clean install anyways.

The call took an hour and 57 minutes, but I finally got it. The guy told me that they were out of DVDs, and that they wouldn't be getting any more for two weeks, but fortunately they have an ISO you can download (as opposed to whatever .exe Digital River is offering, according to this thread). At least I don't have to pay for shipping. :)

[quote name='Anhmeister']Everything is put in C:\Windows.old during the installation. Everything I needed I got out of there. All my games seem to work fine.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like what would happen for doing an upgrade install. I am asking about how to get your original PC's programs without backup/restore if you do a clean install.

So my school doesnt give .edu addresses so I did the thing where you send in a pic of your school id and such the day this went up and I never heard back from them. Anyone have any advice? Is there a number to call or something?

[quote name='lmz00']The call took an hour and 57 minutes, but I finally got it. The guy told me that they were out of DVDs, and that they wouldn't be getting any more for two weeks, but fortunately they have an ISO you can download (as opposed to whatever .exe Digital River is offering, according to this thread). At least I don't have to pay for shipping. :)[/QUOTE]

Did they email you a link?

[quote name='Anhmeister']If it is from Microsoft I'm pretty sure you can exchange it. Digital River I do not know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got it from DR, anyone hav ea customer service phone number? Their website SUCKS.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']You will need to reinstall Windows XP in order to "upgrade" back to Windows 7.

Don't forget that you cannot directly upgrade from XP and that you will need to do a clean install anyways.[/QUOTE]

That is completely asinine. I have to reformat my drive with XP only to turn around and reformat it with the Win 7 upgrade? Surely there is a prompt during the install of Win 7 asking for your license key for XP to verify the upgrade instead of reinstalling after a reinstall.

I haven't used my upgrade copy yet, but doing it like that is ridiculous. Asking to read the disc of an older version of windows or for an older serial number would be ok. I have XP on this system so it won't be a problem, but still.

To the people that ordered the physical DVD, mine shipped today and is getting here today! :) I payed for 2 day shipping but apparently ups updated it come today instead of Monday, this is perfect since some of my parts are coming today. I'm just so happy :cry:

[quote name='USB Cable']To the people that ordered the physical DVD, mine shipped today and is getting here today! :) I payed for 2 day shipping but apparently ups updated it come today instead of Monday, this is perfect since some of my parts are coming today. I'm just so happy :cry:[/QUOTE]

Mine is still processing :(

Can anyone verify that they are still doing the $30 discount? My girlfriend wants a copy of it and decided to wait until now.

Just called and got the professional upgrade for 36 shipped. Said the full version was impossible to get. Has anyone actually received the full version or just been told they would?

The guy on the phone didnt ask me if i wanted 32 or 64 bit...damnit. No way I'm getting back on the phone for an hour and a half to ask.

bread's done
Back