(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='soulwish2003'][quote name='salmonaxxx']Has anybody tried trading in Battle Engine Aquila? It's not on the list, but since it's so cheap everywhere, I assumed it was POX.[/quote]

Nope - it works...[/quote]

It's also worth $18.50 at FYE. Just another option.

[quote name='WilliamG'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='xspeedracerx'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='organicow']speedracer - is your sig pic from "stacy?"[/quote]

Battle Royale[/quote]

Ah... wrong crappy movie. :wink:

Seriously though - anyone who likes bizarre Japanese zombie flicks should check out "Stacy." It's nifty, and they even carry it at some BBs for abour $10.[/quote]
Battle Royale is far from crappy, it's my favorite movie ever.[/quote]

Hence the :wink: ! Hell, I'm certainly not disagreeing with ya! :cool:[/quote]

That, and it's not a zombie flick.[/quote]

No shit. I was just saying that the particular frame that he'd got from Royale reminded me of a scene from "stacy" which IS a zombie movie.

After I read it a second time, it's clear to me that he was saying "stacy" was the wrong crappy movie, not Battle Royale.

I believe that HOT SHOTS GOLF is now part of the promo. Employee showed me an email he received from 'HQ' and Hot Shots is on the list.

Also, traded in another 'outlaw golf 9' this morning! :)

Hey,
My two cents..here in NYC they refused to take Outlaw Golf 9, even though I pointed out in their own system, it says PO. He had called the district manager, and they were like no no no...bummer! I had to trade Fable :(

Well, I took in a link to the deal on the ebgames website and a copy of the flier, and they basically said FU, we ain't doin in. I am supposed to go back and see the manager around 2 to argue some more. I have that I have given them a deposit on the PSP, I wish I would have gone somewhere else.

[quote name='R_Car_Car']Hey,
My two cents..here in NYC they refused to take Outlaw Golf 9, even though I pointed out in their own system, it says PO. He had called the district manager, and they were like no no no...bummer! I had to trade Fable :([/quote]

which location?

[quote name='gregthomas77']Well, I took in a link to the deal on the ebgames website and a copy of the flier, and they basically said FU, we ain't doin in. I am supposed to go back and see the manager around 2 to argue some more. I have that I have given them a deposit on the PSP, I wish I would have gone somewhere else.[/quote]

Go in again and ask if you can do the deal, if they refuse, cancel your preorder for the PSP on the spot.

[quote name='soulwish2003']I believe that HOT SHOTS GOLF is now part of the promo. Employee showed me an email he received from 'HQ' and Hot Shots is on the list.

Also, traded in another 'outlaw golf 9' this morning! :)[/quote]

does it mean that the promotion will be extended?
since hot shots golf won't be while for a while..
I would really like to pick up that game w/ 3 trade-ins! :D

Both of these games traded in fine today.

Room Zoom XBOX(someone said I could have gotten $26 at FYE? wtf?)
Enter the Matrix PS2

Jampack 11 didnt work though, so it looks like I'll be returning that to TRU.

Does anyone know how easy EB is to deal with on returning these games? Would be nice to rid the games I got and trade them in for THUG2 or Tiger Woods. I guess there's always WalMart to exchange at though.

[quote name='Socheata']I also picked up my preorder of Darkstalkers Chronicle, since my local EB has that in stock already. HOWEVER, when I got home and checked the PSP games I got, the EB dude gave me the display cases of Gretzky NHL and Darkstalkers. :? They have those new stickers on it, but the games were missing and it wasn't even shrinkwrapped. I'm gonna go back and raise hell until I get my (shrinkwrapped) games![/quote]

[quote name='arsenalgear']Haha EB just got revenge on you for all the CAGs tradin' in shitty games for PSP goodies.[/quote]

The joke's on you bitch...

**UPDATE OF MY DILEMMA** DILLEMA? DILLEMMA? Whatever...

I'm sad to report this, but hell was not raised when I went back. :( Feeling groggy this morning, I forced myself to get up and get ready to head down to my mall (that's where my EB Games is located). I don't normally go to the mall in the morning, but I wasn't expecting anybody to be there. I stopped by a local Starbucks, checked out the babes behind the counter, drank my caramel frappiccino and left. A few minutes later, I arrived at the mall with fiery eyes and a passion to get what I want. Which are Darkstalkers Chronicle and Gretzky NHL shrinkwrapped! I proceeded inside the retailer and looked at the cashier straight in the eyes. She was fuggin' hot! :drool:

*ahem* I explained to her my situation and she then calls her manager. Out comes this young lad who looks similar to a friend of mine. When he first saw me, he said "hey, I remember you, you were in here a few days ago, what can I help you with?" I explained to him what happened and he completely understands. He searched high and low for the games that were taken out for the display cases. He found Darkstalkers but couldn't find Gretzky NHL. I requested to have a shrinkwrapped copy of Darkstalkers because one of the employees a few days ago tried to give me the display case with the game in it, which I declined. The manager said "no problem". As for Gretzky NHL, he checked the computer to see if they had any in stock. But they were all out. He told me to come back tomorrow and see if there's any in stock by then because they were expecting a shipment to arrive. Right after he said that, the UPS d00d comes in! He tells me to hang out for a moment while I stared at his awesome-lookin' employee. He checks the computer again, and tells me that there are a few copies of Gretzky NHL with this shipment, so he could give me the game right then and there. Wow, I was expecting to bust some skulls, but that never took place.

Before I left, he then asked me "hey, don't you have other PSP games preordered?" I looked at the chick (I don't know why) and said "yeah, I have four other PSP games preordered". He asked me for my phone number and checked what other games I have preordered. It turns out, that new shipment had all the games I paid off! w007 w007! So I walked out of the store with Darkstalkers Chronicle, Gretzky NHL, Lumines, Metal Gear Acid, Untold Legends and Ridge Racer. All shrinkwrapped. ^_^

pspgames.jpg

I just trade in 5 XB GAMES w/o instruction booklet and 3 PS2 GAMES + $22.48 for 3 PSP GAMES. The store manager was so cool. Since I only had 8 GAMES to trade in, he told me just add $13.33 and 9.15 taxes for another PSP game. But anyway, CAGERS ROCKS!

Trade in:
I-Ninja XB
House of the Dead 3 XB
Hit and Run XB
RE:CV PS2
JAK GH PS2
NBA Street Vol 2 GH PS2
Spiderman XB
007: Everything is nothing
+ 13.33 + 9.15 tax = $22.48

GOT:
Twistal Metal
Ape Escape
Wipeout

[quote name='fivecardstud']wow cool games... untold legends is out! But... winnie the pooh bedspread?[/quote]

There's nothing manlier than having a Winnie the Pooh comforter. :p

[quote name='postaboy']he told me just add $13.33 and 9.15 taxes for another PSP game.[/quote]

He might have suckered you on that one. I dont know about what state you're in but here in FL for these deals I havent had to pay any tax yet.

[quote name='Socheata'][quote name='Socheata']I also picked up my preorder of Darkstalkers Chronicle, since my local EB has that in stock already. HOWEVER, when I got home and checked the PSP games I got, the EB dude gave me the display cases of Gretzky NHL and Darkstalkers. :? They have those new stickers on it, but the games were missing and it wasn't even shrinkwrapped. I'm gonna go back and raise hell until I get my (shrinkwrapped) games![/quote]

[quote name='arsenalgear']Haha EB just got revenge on you for all the CAGs tradin' in shitty games for PSP goodies.[/quote]

The joke's on you bitch...

**UPDATE OF MY DILEMMA** DILLEMA? DILLEMMA? Whatever...

I'm sad to report this, but hell was not raised when I went back. :( Feeling groggy this morning, I forced myself to get up and get ready to head down to my mall (that's where my EB Games is located). I don't normally go to the mall in the morning, but I wasn't expecting anybody to be there. I stopped by a local Starbucks, checked out the babes behind the counter, drank my caramel frappiccino and left. A few minutes later, I arrived at the mall with fiery eyes and a passion to get what I want. Which are Darkstalkers Chronicle and Gretzky NHL shrinkwrapped! I proceeded inside the retailer and looked at the cashier straight in the eyes. She was fuggin' hot! :drool:

*ahem* I explained to her my situation and she then calls her manager. Out comes this young lad who looks similar to a friend of mine. When he first saw me, he said "hey, I remember you, you were in here a few days ago, what can I help you with?" I explained to him what happened and he completely understands. He searched high and low for the games that were taken out for the display cases. He found Darkstalkers but couldn't find Gretzky NHL. I requested to have a shrinkwrapped copy of Darkstalkers because one of the employees a few days ago tried to give me the display case with the game in it, which I declined. The manager said "no problem". As for Gretzky NHL, he checked the computer to see if they had any in stock. But they were all out. He told me to come back tomorrow and see if there's any in stock by then because they were expecting a shipment to arrive. Right after he said that, the UPS d00d comes in! He tells me to hang out for a moment while I stared at his awesome-lookin' employee. He checks the computer again, and tells me that there are a few copies of Gretzky NHL with this shipment, so he could give me the game right then and there. Wow, I was expecting to bust some skulls, but that never took place.

Before I left, he then asked me "hey, don't you have other PSP games preordered?" I looked at the chick (I don't know why) and said "yeah, I have four other PSP games preordered". He asked me for my phone number and checked what other games I have preordered. It turns out, that new shipment had all the games I paid off! w007 w007! So I walked out of the store with Darkstalkers Chronicle, Gretzky NHL, Lumines, Metal Gear Acid, Untold Legends and Ridge Racer. All shrinkwrapped. ^_^

pspgames.jpg
[/quote]

CHOI!, rich azz foo!

I just got written up by my own manager because I had traded in 3 Gamestop games (already got yelled at for that) to preorder Ape Escape, and then today I applied that money to my PSP through my assistant manager because I honestly checked Gamspot and it didn't look like Ape Escape would be my type of game. He said that if I try to "take advantage of the system" again, then I'm pretty much gone.

This blows.

Here in Phoenix, the EB location woln't take the games back for store credit any more. When i walked into the third EB I tried I caught the clerk explaining to a customer that "they're cracking down on people going to all over to a bunch of stores" then for a sec he pointed to me (I'd been in there before) so now I'm stuck with 3 Wipeouts, 2 Twisted Medals, and 2 Ape escapes. This sucks.

[quote name='3thirteen'][quote name='postaboy']he told me just add $13.33 and 9.15 taxes for another PSP game.[/quote]

He might have suckered you on that one. I dont know about what state you're in but here in FL for these deals I havent had to pay any tax yet.[/quote]

sadly, in CA we have to pay tax on these. you didnt get suckered

[quote name='JMacGill']Here in Phoenix, the EB location woln't take the games back for store credit any more. When i walked into the third EB I tried I caught the clerk explaining to a customer that "they're cracking down on people going to all over to a bunch of stores" then for a sec he pointed to me (I'd been in there before) so now I'm stuck with 3 Wipeouts, 2 Twisted Medals, and 2 Ape escapes. This sucks.[/quote]

sheesh, sell them on ebay. you arent stuck with anything, or trade them in the trade forum

do the xbox xhibition vol 6 still work?

[quote name='JMacGill']I don't appriciate your attitude, and youre complete lack of compasion for other people's problems, namely, mine.[/quote]

Dude who are you anyways??? And now your mad ay Dracula just because you tried to pull one over on EB but the joke was on you. LOL Get real dude.

UPDATE: Yesterday, I went in to my local EB for yet another marathon argument. And, after about half an hour, they finally conceded. So, I ran to Game Spot, bought 6 games for 40 dollars, and traded them for Wipeout and NBA. I will plan to do it again today for Twisted Metal Black and DarkStalkers.

Am I being tricked or something? All the EB I went to say that the promotion is over. And Future Tactic came out as zero for trade in value. This suck because when I tried to get Ape Escape and Twisted Metal before the guy that wordk there told me that I can't preorder so I asked him when is the promotion over and he said april 10. I just went back yesterday and he said it over on tuesday. Damnit this suck I still have some games to trade in.

The 3 for 1 ends April 10th. That being said, my experience is that EB sucks, and you may have to go through extensive arguments to get what you want. I can confirm that they would not take Future Tactics from me either. However, cheap copies of Sims for PS2 and Alias for Xbox seem to work just fine.

[quote name='gregthomas77']The 3 for 1 ends April 10th. That being said, my experience is that EB sucks, and you may have to go through extensive arguments to get what you want. I can confirm that they would not take Future Tactics from me either. However, cheap copies of Sims for PS2 and Alias for Xbox seem to work just fine.[/quote]

Which Future Tactics did you try? It's been posted in this thread before and also listed on the online exclusion list that the PS2 version is excluded. I traded in the XBox version on Monday for the 3 for 1 deal. If it's now excluded, I'd like to know.

[quote name='soulwish2003']The last few posts are YMMV. Wednesday morning I encountered 2 of the nicest emplyees yet at 2 different EB stores... traded 9 games total.[/quote]

same here. one store would only let me trade my extra wipeout for another one of the 8 games on that flyer, so I got NBA (which I didn't want). Now, I'm gonna go to the other EB (which will let me do the switcheroo) and put the money towards Lumines. This whole shebang here is YMMV!

I trade in Future Tactic for xbox it worked before but on wednesday it didn't. The guy said it has a trading value ot zero.

CAGs HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS - Yesterday I went to an EB and the two people working there had no idea about this promotion. So I played dumb while they searched in there computer for it. Eventually they decided to test it with my 3 games so they scanned them in and then tested NBA and it bumped the trade-in prices up to $13.33. They then proceeded to tell me it works on all PSP games (Voice in my head "Hellllll Yeahhh!). But they tried Lumines and it changed the trade-in values to $10. I ended up getting Twisted Metal. I'm sharing this so that hopefully some of you having trouble can talk some EB employee into testing it in their system even though they never heard of the promotion. This EB didn't have the green flyers.

EB in lakewood, CA is so cool. There actually 2 EB located inside the mall. Both of them take trade-in fine as long you bring in the flyers.

You can even trade in 2 preowned games, instead of three, for $27 store-credit toward one of the eight PSP games. I did it last night and only paid $16 for $ another wipeout.

My EBs have gone into hyper-defensive mode thanks to one really, really bitchy 50-something woman that runs the 'original' EB in the area. I did the trade-in deal, traded in three games which totaled $1.25 credit back but were upgraded to 13.33 for Twisted Metal, and she almost threw me out of the store. She kept asking me if I was an EB employee, and kept telling me EB employees couldn't use that deal. Then she called EB's tech support and EB's regional manager to make sure the deal was good. When both told her, yes, she had to accept it, she started ringing everything up again.

As she's ringing everything up, she's talking to her underling sales associate about the trade. The underling expresses desire to do the trade himself. She reminds him that EB employees can't participate in trade-in deals, then goes into this huge lecture about how it's unethical to do it anyway, as the games are only worth $1.25 credit, and you'd be getting a $40.00 game.

At this point I wanted to launch into a discussion of how getting $2.50 tradein for a game I paid $40 for a month ago is far more "unethical," but I decided to keep quiet.

The best part? At the end, she hands me my bag with Twisted Metal in it, stares me right in the eye and says "Don't ever expect to be able to do this again. I'm calling corporate tonight. You won't be able to do anything like this past today." I just smiled at her, squishing an impulse to say "We'll see about that."

Then she goes, "Have a great day."

My experience this morning was that they let me exchange TM and AE for Lumines and Metal Gear Acid. I would have preferred store credit....but alas.

[quote name='postaboy']EB in lakewood, CA is so cool. There actually 2 EB located inside the mall. Both of them take trade-in fine as long you bring in the flyers.

You can even trade in 2 preowned games, instead of three, for $27 store-credit toward one of the eight PSP games. I did it last night and only paid $16 for $ another wipeout.[/quote]

I went to the this one too (lat Saturday). I asked the cashier to check some game to see if they would worked. He actually seemed excited to see that my games which would have gotten only $3.00-$5.00 trade in value, bumped up to $13.33 each with this deal. They didn't even bother to check my ID (other Ebgames check your license when you trade in). I walked out with a copy of wipeout pure and a slight feeling that I had just robbed the place :)

My EB let me cancel my MLB PSP pre-order to pick up God of War. I kinda felt like I was over stepping the boundries of the deal but the cashier let me do it no problem because he played God of War and said everybody should pick it up if you can, it was that good.

[quote name='Ragingbull2380']Are any of you buying the 1 GB Memory Stick Duo's?[/quote]
I don't know about anyone else, but I picked up a 512mb today. I am getting ready to start loading movies on it now.

[quote name='Ragingbull2380']Is 512mb big enough for good quality movies?[/quote]

1 at a time it is. but its better than paying twice as much to fit two movies.

zimzoomfly.com had a 1GB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro for $67 (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=82531). Of course they're out of stock.

Boy though, people must be seriously screwing EB with this deal! The usually nice friendly EB Games manager that helped me out getting Ridge Racer last week with the `trade 3' deal did not seem happy _at all_ to see me this morning. He said that he couldn't swap the credit out for anything else on new trade-ins and that I couldn't exchange the copy of Twisted Metal Head-On that I picked up before (because frigging FYE is making me buy one of 5 `select' games with my PSP! The only cheap one was Twisted Metal.). The only other EB is about 30 miles away, but I bet that it's the same thing there.

Sigh. I had to pick up Metal Gear Acid with some other pre-order credit that I had for Doom III.

Well I had no problem exchanging Wipeout Pure for Lumines. This is what happened. This happens all at the same mall.

I went to FYE got my PSP with Wipeout. I just got Wipout the day before from the EB downstaris from FYE. On my way out I stopped by EB and asked the manger could I exchange Wipeout for another game since I just got Wipeout from FYE. She tells me sure no problem. I go back to work for an hour or so. Then I went back to EB and exchanged Wipeout for Lumines. As a matter of fact the cashier who was doing my exchange at the time told me I could get any game, PSP or not. The manager was standing right there when he told me this. I'm going back in a couple of days or so to exchange Ape Escape for MGA. It sucks that so many people are having problems exchanging stuff at their EB's.

Maybe I'm lucky or something, but I've had nothing but good experiences so far. Over the weekend, I made out like a bandit and ended up with an extra Twisted Metal and a copy of NBA I didn't want. I wanted to trade them for Untold Legends and Ridge Racer.

I called around last night and the only store with extra copies of both games (i.e., in addition to pre-orders) is one that I know isn't really doing the deal. And by that, I mean they don't have the fliers and don't really know about it. I bet if I brought in the flier, they'd honor it. But in this case, it's better that they stay ignorant.

So I head over to that store and make the even swap without any difficulty. So here's the lesson. If you have multiple stores in your area, and one isn't really tuned into the deal, trade your crap games for PSP games at a store actively promoting the deal. Then trade your PSP games for non-eligible PSP games at the clueless store.

The active store knows when you're trying to manipulate the deal, and the clueless store just thinks you're doing an even trade. In this case, it pays to be sneaky.

-DM

PS: Picked up my two PSP's at FYE today. Kinda sucks that they make you buy a game with each one. Didn't know that when I pre-ordered, but I was pretty much the first person to place a pre-order at that location, so I'm not sure the staff knew about that policy way back then either. Ended up getting THUG and NFS. At least they're two of the better games. Paid for the whole thing with store credit. The clerk was both amazed and annoyed. And I still have some credit left over.

i traded in my copy of twisted metal i got the other day with the trade in deal (one is coming in my PSP bundle), but the EB employee said I COULDN'T get store credit back, only cash! I don't really want the cash cause I just wanted another game, so he let me purchase a gift card with the $$. Now I can use it online cause it has the PIN on the back.. woohoo!

Anyone else run into this when returning games?

[quote name='fivecardstud']i traded in my copy of twisted metal i got the other day with the trade in deal (one is coming in my PSP bundle), but the EB employee said I COULDN'T get store credit back, only cash! I don't really want the cash cause I just wanted another game, so he let me purchase a gift card with the $$. Now I can use it online cause it has the PIN on the back.. woohoo!

Anyone else run into this when returning games?[/quote]

Yup, and I had well over $100 coming back to me. I decided to go with credit since I can always buy stuff of the website.

did you get tax refunded too? I didn't pay sales tax on the trade in, it wasnt on the reciept that I brought in, but it was added to the gift card they gave me back... I made $3...hehe

bread's done
Back