Defense Grid 1 & 2 for $15

Torrwin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
The folks at Hidden Path entertainment have just "opened up the floodgates", so to speak on the Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter.

**NEW TIERS ADDED**
Get the $30 Tier plus a Razer Naga Hex gaming mouse, Red for $107, Green for $108

The video cards are sold out, but you can still get some great deals on the digital content and help support the game as well.

Tiers
$15 -> Full copies of Defense Grid 1 & Defense Grid 2 (when available) on Steam
$30 -> Above rewards + All DG1 DLC, and extra additional digital content
$50 -> Above rewards + beta access to DG2
$75 -> Above rewards + DG poster and two extra copies of all digital content
$100 -> Above rewards + T-Shirt and signed copy of the poster
$150 -> Above rewards + 8GB Gun Tower USB stick + Fletcher button
$175 -> Above rewards + all 3 t-shirts
$225 -> Above rewards + Razer Naga Hex gaming mouse

More Details
DG1 is available via email almost immediately. You get to keep the game even if the Kickstarter doesn't make the goal.
The video cards are rumored to be the 1GB PowerColor models.
**The video cards will be shipped in September**

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Torrwin']Again, that date is incorrect. If you look at the comments section of the Kickstarter website you'll find the following:[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

[quote name='shadow17x']looks like the $105 tier is sold out. so does that mean if i paid $110, I won't get the card? i really hate the wording on this thing and am torn on trying the $110 for the hope of getting the higher end card vs just paying $85 and getting in on the lower end one. anyone know?[/QUOTE]

They have 300 of each type, so they just need to add more available. They just have to make sure they keep enough in reserve for the higher tiers. Here's a quote from their comments section:

[quote name='Hidden Path Entertainment, AMD & Razer']We've started out by limiting the video card tiers, but we can open those up as they fill in order to make sure we don't go over our total allocation. [/QUOTE]

So, check back later and there should be more.

[quote name='Torrwin']They have 300 of each type, so they just need to add more available. They just have to make sure they keep enough in reserve for the higher tiers. Here's a quote from their comments section:

So, check back later and there should be more.[/QUOTE]

So again only the $85 and $105 tier guarantee the cards. The language isn't as easy to understand as I would like it to. Guess I'll pass on the $110 until the $105 opens back up.

[quote name='shadow17x']So again only the $85 and $105 tier guarantee the cards.[/QUOTE]

Correct, those are the cheapest way to get the cards. Kickstarter doesn't make it easy to do an "a la carte" option. Originally the video cards were only available at the $250 and $325 levels, but now they're letting you bypass the other items (t-shirts, etc) if you only want the video card.

Now it's choose the $105 level, tell them what tier you actually want + the video card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='robhimself']would any of you folks replace a GeForce GTX 550 Ti with this video card?[/QUOTE]

Idk if this helps but there is this comparison of the two. Or if you were thinking the 6770 just sub it out.

[quote name='Torrwin']Again, that date is incorrect. If you look at the comments section of the Kickstarter website you'll find the following:[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks for that. Didn't even see the gray colored comments link on top. They should really update the date info on the right side.

[quote name='Torrwin']100 additional 6870's have been made available.[/QUOTE]

nice. now I'll pay the $105. let's hope this goes through

Do you guys think it'll actually meet it's goal? They need ~57K in 7 days. That means they need to raise roughly $8100 everyday.

I think so. Kickstarter projects tend to get busy at the very end. Also, they said recently that only 2-3% of the DG1 user base has pledged so far. They only need 5% of the user base to get the $250k goal.

Also, if they sell out every video card, that will put us over the goal too.

Needed to replace my 2x 4890 (not looking for an upgrade since their pretty much dead) and I love Defense Grid so this is a win-win, thanks OP!

This is my first Kickstarter, and I wanted to make sure I followed everything correctly so...

I picked the $105 pledge, which is $15 for the game + $90 for the 6870 card right? I don't have to send them any message letting them know that's what I want or anything?

Hope this gets funded, this actually works out perfectly for me. I had posted a topic on the PC board a few weeks ago asking for a decent card suggestion, and I was told to get the 6870 :D

Thanks OP!

[quote name='VACRMH']This is my first Kickstarter, and I wanted to make sure I followed everything correctly so...

I picked the $105 pledge, which is $15 for the game + $90 for the 6870 card right? I don't have to send them any message letting them know that's what I want or anything?[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's correct. :cool:

Can't say I was thrilled about Kickstarter begging in a game that I already paid for and own - for reference, when you boot Defense Grid now it begs you with a giant splash screen. After you click to dismiss the splash screen there's still a begging button in the lower right of the main menu. The splash screen only comes up once, but the button stays.

No problem with Kickstarter itself, but geez, it's getting a little overdone at this point. I already paid for the game once, guys.

As for this deal, I'd actually consider it if I were building a new system. That's not a bad card.

I've been running a 6770 that plays most of what I throw at it just fine, but it mostly sucks for rendering during HD video editing. Think the 6870 would perform much better? If the consensus is yes, I'll pledge for sure.

[quote name='Schildkrote']Can't say I was thrilled about Kickstarter begging in a game that I already paid for and own - for reference, when you boot Defense Grid now it begs you with a giant splash screen. After you click to dismiss the splash screen there's still a begging button in the lower right of the main menu. The splash screen only comes up once, but the button stays.

No problem with Kickstarter itself, but geez, it's getting a little overdone at this point. I already paid for the game once, guys.

As for this deal, I'd actually consider it if I were building a new system. That's not a bad card.[/QUOTE]

I didn't find it quite as annoying as you did... and to be fair they are running contests alongside the "begging" button. They made a great game (233 hours in) and are looking for some help for their next game. I can't say that I blame them.

[quote name='mink-e']I've been running a 6770 that plays most of what I throw at it just fine, but it mostly sucks for rendering during HD video editing. Think the 6870 would perform much better? If the consensus is yes, I'll pledge for sure.[/QUOTE]

From my understand the difference of 6770 and 6870 is only 2 tiers which might not be worth the money to replace.

[quote name='Marauder7']From my understand the difference of 6770 and 6870 is only 2 tiers which might not be worth the money to replace.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I ended up pulling the trigger anyway and I'll put the 6770 in an HTPC I'm building. This is just a killer deal for the card. Oddly enough, I ended up opting for the $105 bundle, but still got the DLC anyway, which made this an even cooler deal.

[quote name='Schildkrote']Can't say I was thrilled about Kickstarter begging in a game that I already paid for and own - for reference, when you boot Defense Grid now it begs you with a giant splash screen. After you click to dismiss the splash screen there's still a begging button in the lower right of the main menu. The splash screen only comes up once, but the button stays.

As for this deal, I'd actually consider it if I were building a new system. That's not a bad card.[/QUOTE]

It's all a matter of perception I guess. Yours is obviously negative, but they aren't asking you to pay for the game again. They also aren't "begging" for anything. It's a link to the kickstarter for DG2. So if you want to pre-order it, that's what it is. If you don't, then just ignore it. I get the dislike for in game advertising, I get annoyed when Dungeon Defenders tries to get me to buy DLC every time I play, but at the same time I won't mischaracterize it as them begging to get more money in exchange for nothing.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It's all a matter of perception I guess. Yours is obviously negative, but they aren't asking you to pay for the game again. They also aren't "begging" for anything. It's a link to the kickstarter for DG2. So if you want to pre-order it, that's what it is. If you don't, then just ignore it. I get the dislike for in game advertising, I get annoyed when Dungeon Defenders tries to get me to buy DLC every time I play, but at the same time I won't mischaracterize it as them begging to get more money in exchange for nothing.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean - I suppose my negativity toward this particular example is that they're retroactively introducing in-game advertising into a game I've already bought. It's like if they took my copy of Mass Effect and inserted references to Nike all over the Citadel, you know?

Also, did you notice the contests they added to the in-game menu? There's several chances every week to win a free video card, mouse, etc.

[quote name='Schildkrote']I see what you mean - I suppose my negativity toward this particular example is that they're retroactively introducing in-game advertising into a game I've already bought. It's like if they took my copy of Mass Effect and inserted references to Nike all over the Citadel, you know?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get it from that perspective. I hate in game advertising as much as the next man. Gives you that feeling that you either didn't really buy the full thing (in case of DLC) or that you are getting spammed through a game with no option to opt out. So I definitely understand where you are coming from there.

Just signed up for the $105 level to get the Radeon HD 6870. I've been mostly console gaming for a while, but I just bought the Star Wars: The Old Republic CE for $30, as I'm eager for that to hit FTP, and Mechwarrior Online will be releasing soon as well. It was time to upgrade the PC.

I needed a good graphics card as the final piece of my PC I've been assembling and $105 for a 6870 and the Defense Grid game seemed to good a deal to pass up. Thanks for posting about this. Also, I'm hoping I read this right and $105 is all I need to pay for the 6870, their listing was confusing. I'm not international though so I guess the $105 is all I needed to pay.

[quote name='laseractive']Also, I'm hoping I read this right and $105 is all I need to pay for the 6870, their listing was confusing. I'm not international though so I guess the $105 is all I needed to pay.[/QUOTE]

It's enough. After reading the comments the 105 includes the game plus the graphics card (15 + 90) as explained on the original post. This is due to the limitation on Kickstarter which doesn't allow you to select 2 tiers and the description doesn't help either.

This deal was posted on SlickDeals. It hasn't hit front page, and likely won't, but this may nonetheless go quickly at this point.

I just built a new PC, and didn't replace the graphics card from my old build to reduce the total cost. I can't really pass up this at nearly $70 or more off though (I'm currently using the 6670).

[quote name='BingoBrown']This deal was posted on SlickDeals. It hasn't hit front page, and likely won't, but this may nonetheless go quickly at this point.[/QUOTE]

It already was, about half the cards were pledged for yesterday when I looked.

[quote name='Fire2box']It already was, about half the cards were pledged for yesterday when I looked.[/QUOTE]

Think originally all the cards were pledge so I had to go with the 6770 until couple minutes later they added an additional 100. Not sure how many cards AMD is giving out.

Not sure if my previous post was ignored or skipped over, but the $105 tier does get you the game and all the DLC. Not sure what the first post is talking about with the add $15 and get the DLC....

If they offered a comparable Nvidia card, I'd be all over this. (Don't won't to hassle with hybrid PhysX with my GTX460.)

This is a nice deal, but I wonder if they'll generate enough interest to hit the $250k amount. I'm on the edge for this one, especially since it's way cheaper than getting a 6870 on its own. Question is, what would I do with my 6850?

[quote name='cloretsfresh']I wonder if these 6870 are going to be refurb ones.[/QUOTE]

Since AMD is providing the cards I'm assuming it's brand new. You can always post the question,

[quote name='Zeikoa']With this and my 3870k I won from QuakeCon, my budget build comes to $359. Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Hehe your idea of budget is a bit different than mine. My current wishlist on newegg is down to $690 after taking out the video cards, and that doesn't include the proc since i got one in a SFIV tournament.

Ooo, I like the charts. Says they are on pace for 101%. Woot. Just double checking, if they dont make it, we wont be charged right?

I was getting a little nervous that they weren't going to make it. It looks like this latest push is helping.

[quote name='hal']I was getting a little nervous that they weren't going to make it. It looks like this latest push is helping.[/QUOTE]

I think this is more or less a boost thanks to the 6870... I wondering what it'll be like once they run out of cards. On the other hand, they keep adding more and more of these cards?

Are they still limiting it to 300 units? The $105 tier is up to 200 by itself.

[quote name='hal']I was getting a little nervous that they weren't going to make it. It looks like this latest push is helping.[/QUOTE]

I'd be fairly shocked if they didn't make it what with the great deals being offered.

[quote name='Vinny']
Are they still limiting it to 300 units? The $105 tier is up to 200 by itself.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they just added 50 more to the $105 tier. AMD is donating 300 6870's and 300 6770's. So, theoretically there's still about 350 video cards to sell.

They added 20 more to the $105 tier, but even still there's only 39 left. If you're on the fence, now's the time to decide. The 6780's will be sold out soon...

bread's done
Back