Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='gunm']I don't mind the everquest-like death system so much, but I'm not too fond of the inability to turn off the online griefing capability unless you play offline. I guess you can also play in soul form to get around it as well.[/QUOTE]

Is griefing the whole forcing yourself into someone else's game thing?

I hadn't see anything about this before until i got the Faithful email with the videos from G4 (here and here if anyone hasn't seen them). I was all excited, until they mentioned being able to force your way into other people's games and engage in PvP? I so do not want to be dealing with some 13 year old douchebag while I'm trying to mind my own business. The ghosting and notes and such sounds fun, but random PvP = a big fat fail for me. If you can't turn this "feature" off, I doubt I'll be bothering to pick the game up at all...

[quote name='PleasantOne']Is griefing the whole forcing yourself into someone else's game thing?

I hadn't see anything about this before until i got the Faithful email with the videos from G4 (here and here if anyone hasn't seen them). I was all excited, until they mentioned being able to force your way into other people's games and engage in PvP? I so do not want to be dealing with some 13 year old douchebag while I'm trying to mind my own business. The ghosting and notes and such sounds fun, but random PvP = a big fat fail for me. If you can't turn this "feature" off, I doubt I'll be bothering to pick the game up at all...[/QUOTE]

I didn't run into anyone trying to come into my game, though I have played this for maybe 12 hours or so since I bought it. As for the notes and what not, if they remain the same as they were when I was playing last, then it's a total waste of time if you ask me.

Most people simply repeated the same notes as everyone else and many of them weren't particularly helpful.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Most people simply repeated the same notes as everyone else and many of them weren't particularly helpful.[/QUOTE]
Weren't most of them in another language?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I didn't run into anyone trying to come into my game, though I have played this for maybe 12 hours or so since I bought it. As for the notes and what not, if they remain the same as they were when I was playing last, then it's a total waste of time if you ask me.

Most people simply repeated the same notes as everyone else and many of them weren't particularly helpful.[/QUOTE]

I am about 60+ hours in and have yet to have anyone enter my game (I predominately play in soul form unless I am trying to mess with the world tendancies). I believe there is a level range (within 10 levels) that a player must be to your current level to enter your game.

[quote name='pete5883']Weren't most of them in another language?[/QUOTE]

Actually no, all of them were in English that I read. I have the Chinese/English version, if it makes any difference.

I was kind of shocked when they were all in English, since I expected them to be in Japanese primarily.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm still holding out for the US release.[/QUOTE]

If you can pick it up off of a fellow CAG who is a tad frustrated with it, you might be able to swing a copy of the Chinese/English version for $50 shipped like I did.

Of course, now I find myself a tad flustered at how hardcore you seemingly have to be to play it, but I'm not about to give up on it just yet. :razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you can pick it up off of a fellow CAG who is a tad frustrated with it, you might be able to swing a copy of the Chinese/English version for $50 shipped like I did.

Of course, now I find myself a tad flustered at how hardcore you seemingly have to be to play it, but I'm not about to give up on it just yet. :razz:[/QUOTE]
$50 for a game?!?!?!?!? I thought this was CHEAPassgamer.com?

[quote name='mguiddy']$50 for a game?!?!?!?!? I thought this was CHEAPassgamer.com?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you misread it, I said I paid $50 SHIPPED. :razz: I know, I laugh when other people pay that much for something and I've used that remark numerous times. But yeah, I wanted this game and hopefully since it's not coming out till fall here, I can turn it into a couple games I want once I get done with it.

I just got this from another CAG and I keep dying.

Do I ever level up at all after I die, or is it pretty much keep trying til you somehow make it through?

[quote name='whoknows']I just got this from another CAG and I keep dying.

Do I ever level up at all after I die, or is it pretty much keep trying til you somehow make it through?[/QUOTE]

I think the second thing you said is pretty much what happens. You just have to keep trying until you make it through somehow. :D Good luck with that.

I've probably died about 40 times on the first level alone, but the game is still fun no matter what if you ask me.

I keep dying on the first level...

The part with the dragon and the bridge. Is it possible to make it across before you're burned?

[quote name='whoknows']I keep dying on the first level...

The part with the dragon and the bridge. Is it possible to make it across before you're burned?[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what part you're talking about and all I did was back down from there and I believe I headed to the RIGHT after going back inside the castle walls. There's an alternate route, though that leads you to a narrow passage where there's a dragon/demon breathing fire from atop a ledge.

There are soldiers bodies strewn about in the path where it's breathing fire and some of them have some good items you can loot from their charred remains, including a shield which I believe gives you some protection from fire as well as a ring which adds even more protection from it. However, unless you time it JUST RIGHT you're going to die at least 2-3 times while trying to collect ALL of the items from the bodies.

I really wish this game were coming out tomorrow in the States, since I'm pretty sure they'll make a detailed guide for it because this game is just screaming for one. I know I'd buy it the first day it's released.

I just hope that Atlus doesn't radically change anything when they translate it for release here, since then the guide may be somewhat useless.

If you need some more help trying to get by the first level, there are numerous video walkthroughs on YouTube, which is how I found out about the soldier who I was completely passing by in each successive runthrough of the first level. He has a key for the mausoleum on him, so just follow him and whenever he stops, help him take out the enemies and once he dies, then take the mausoleum key.

I actually ended up stabbing him from behind to kill him and take the key, which was probably the wrong thing to do.

[quote name='erectiontown']why would atlus need to translate, it's already in english![/QUOTE]

True. But then why is it going to take until the FALL to release here? I guess it'll have to pass whatever bs censorship checks it may have to go through, though I haven't seen anything objectionable in the entire first level as of yet.

Of course, for it being an import, I expected it to have some either over the top voice acting or some deadpan crap, which would have to be fixed in the port or whatever when it's released here. However, it's quite well done already, so I don't know why Atlus is having to wait until October or whenever the hell it's gonna be released here.

It makes no sense to delay it.

But hopefully they'll get some people like me, who actually want the game and have no real desire for any of the games coming out in upcoming months. I mean, the next major game I'm looking forward to is either I Am Alive(curious to see the environmental dangers and how they play out during the game) or God Of War 3.

Otherwise, I have some very minor wants(Ghostbusters, InFamous), but I can wait until those are on clearance @ Sears for $10-15 to pick them up or cheap for sale @ Blockbuster used.

I also have a backlog of stuff I should be playing, so those will keep me busy until one of the two games I mentioned actually comes out.

I'm curious about this game. If only because Atlus is publishing it and /someone/ is actually paying 50 dollars for it.

However, to be honest, Ninja Gaiden has forever made me afraid of the words: "Hard but fair." I'm going to take a wait and see approach. Either there will be copies of this game thick on the ground, and I'll get one at a price I can stomach if I end up hating it, or it will be rare and I'll remain happily ignorant of the pain it can induce.

New details on Atlus' "Stop Importing!" bundle for $69.99

[quote name='destructoid']Demon's Souls is coming to North America on October 6th for the PlayStation 3. Priced at $59.99 in a standard edition, it will ship with an art book and brand new cover art. Additionally, the game will be served on new North American servers. Atlus calls out Final Fantasy XI's online experience as a reason for the new servers. Ooh, burn.

The Atlus Spoils program continues with a $69.99 "Stop Importing It" edition. It will come with a 150+ page strategy guide and a fancy slip cover, too.

Again, both will be released on October 6th, which was announced here at Anime Expo for the first time. We'll get you pictures as soon as possible.[/quote]

It took me 10 hours to get used to playing this game. It actually took me about 10 hours to complete the first level.
How long did it take everyone else to get used to gameplay or beat the first level?

demonssouls_glamourshot_premium_550.jpg

[quote name='xsouthparkx']It took me 10 hours to get used to playing this game. It actually took me about 10 hours to complete the first level.
How long did it take everyone else to get used to gameplay or beat the first level?[/QUOTE]

At last count, I think I'm up to.....5-6 hours on the first level, but I DID finally get towards the end of it. I have yet to master the parrying and everything, but it's been a fun ride thus far.

Now if I can only get my PS3 back online, so I can see all of the really helpful(being sarcastic here) 'hints' that many of the other players of this game are leaving behind.

However, it looks like I may be grabbing a second copy of this game in the form of the 'stop importing it' bundle. That is, if Atlus doesn't get DoubleJump to release a standalone guide for it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']At last count, I think I'm up to.....5-6 hours on the first level, but I DID finally get towards the end of it. I have yet to master the parrying and everything, but it's been a fun ride thus far.

Now if I can only get my PS3 back online, so I can see all of the really helpful(being sarcastic here) 'hints' that many of the other players of this game are leaving behind.

However, it looks like I may be grabbing a second copy of this game in the form of the 'stop importing it' bundle. That is, if Atlus doesn't get DoubleJump to release a standalone guide for it.[/QUOTE]
Haha I know! "This is Harsh, evaluate me." lmfao

I'm not sure whether the Deluxe will be worth it. I mean, I am a CAG. $70 or probably more for us Canadians. All for an instruction guide and a slip cover? Of course Gamestop is giving an artbook away with preorders but they will only have like 2. So..worth it? Or just wait for the wave of people selling off their copies because it is too hard?

Well, from what I understand, the game isn't exactly structured like a JRPG where you can miss items and characters. I'm not sure how much more helpful a strategy guide is going to be than, say, Gamefaqs.

A question before I let myself get excited about this game: Do I /have/ to melee to progress? As in, if I play a mage or an archer, will I /have/ to pick up a sword in order to beat a boss? I really /really/ don't want to buy a game where I'm going to hit a wall due to my reflexes, and the parry system makes that sound likely. I'd prefer to play a stealthy and agile ranged character, and never have to worry about millisecond responses.

[quote name='Gourd']A question before I let myself get excited about this game: Do I /have/ to melee to progress? As in, if I play a mage or an archer, will I /have/ to pick up a sword in order to beat a boss? I really /really/ don't want to buy a game where I'm going to hit a wall due to my reflexes, and the parry system makes that sound likely. I'd prefer to play a stealthy and agile ranged character, and never have to worry about millisecond responses.[/QUOTE]

Playing as melee is definately more difficult, but what you find is that certain weapons are more effective in each of the five areas. I am a level 70 Royal (basically a magic user) and almost exclusively use magic, but I do swap out to a sword, spear, or bow depending on the world that I am currently on. I have only struggled with a few bosses (I have four left). Regardless you HAVE to be able to block or you will be toast. Magic users can carry shields/swords/etc in their off hand.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Edit: The major thing I think they talked about was that the NA version will be on its own servers that are separate from the Asian and Japanese servers.[/QUOTE]

Any idea how will this work if I have an asian import? US or Asian servers?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/06/playstation-eye-chat-demons-souls/

Jeff Rubenstein has an Eye Chat interview with a few guys from Atlus about Demon's Souls with readers' questions.

Edit: The major thing I think they talked about was that the NA version will be on its own servers that are separate from the Asian and Japanese servers.[/QUOTE]

Well that's kind of stupid, if you ask me. I haven't run into any hints/notes that weren't in English as of yet and I'm pretty sure I've been playing on the Asian servers since I have an import.

Admittedly, there's been ALOT of repetition of notes and some were in "Engrish" but there hasn't been one I couldn't read yet. I just wonder how the US/region 1 version's release will affect compatibility with those playing import copies.

If you have import versions, you'll be on the old servers as far as what they were talking about. Those getting the NA version will be on the new servers.

Good night this game is difficult. I appreciate the brief tutorial, but I'd love to know more about how to level my character up. Any suggestions?

Waiting for a good deal before I buy a PS3 but i already pre-ordered this from amazon. It looks amazing. The joy of actually being CHALLENGED in an RPG is getting me excited.

[quote name='Brian9824']Waiting for a good deal before I buy a PS3 but i already pre-ordered this from amazon. It looks amazing. The joy of actually being CHALLENGED in an RPG is getting me excited.[/QUOTE]

If you like RPG's with no checkpoints and no ability to save on the fly so you don't lose your progress and having to restart from the start of the level should you die, then you'll love this game.

Otherwise, you may feel like the people from the Gamefly commercial. The one where they're throwing fits and their stuff because they got frustrated by a 'bad game'.

Since I haven't played this game in over a month and I have a shitload of other games in my backlog, I might be persuaded to let go of my import copy.

All reasonable offers will be considered.

Since I haven't played this in over a month, I'll take $50 shipped or will trade for a fairly recent game(Red Faction: Guerilla, Ghostbusters or inFamous ONLY with a preference towards RF:G).

My copy is mint/complete and I expect any games I may trade it for to be so as well.

Need help from those that finshed the game. I have read the wiki and it is not specific enough. I am on 1-4 and stuck at the blue dragon battle. I can get him to fly away at first, but I cannot figure out how to make it up the long stairwell the second time you meet him. I just keep getting fried. I have total protection on and +9 flame shield (no auto-life spell) but it does nothing.

Atlus is adding a soundtrack CD to the pre-order incentives:

In addition to the previously announced 40-page, full-color art book (SAMPLE), fans who pre-order at a participating retailer can now also expect to receive a free soundtrack CD featuring music from the game (SAMPLE). The disc, which offers 24 tracks totaling 71 minutes from the game's haunting orchestral score, represents the complete Demon's Souls soundtrack, available for the first time as part of this exclusive North American promotion. The CD will be secured within the inside back cover of the art book, ensuring that existing pre-orders will receive the added bonus disc.

bread's done
Back