Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

I wonder if you made a Euro account, could you play this on their servers? I imagine the US servers aren't as active anymore and I was kind of thinking about making a new character to play again. Just wish they would make a sequel, but I doubt it will ever happen. Sucks because so many shitty games have tons of unearned sequels and the one game that truly needs one probably never will.

I've had the Deluxe version of this game forever, but just cant get into it. I guess I better crank on it before the servers possibly shut down.

I just started the game, got it for $10 after my $20 Amazon credit. Still messing around on 1-1 (don't quite know how you tell what level is 1 or what). About to try and kill the red eyed knight. I'm just using a game FAQ hoping to take some of the pain out of the game.

I kind of think that much of the part that makes this game difficult are the controls. I don't like how the lock-on targeting works. I don't like how you have to use the R1 and R2 controls for your weapon. If they would have just had some kind of L1 lock-on and do a X button swing your sword, I think the game would be much easier.

Can anyone please help me?
For the Phalanx boss in 1-1, I realize you have to use fire to kill him. I have like 8 fire bombs and like 13 turpetine. Do you think it is enough to kill him? I really don't want to waste them trying because I've grinded like crazy already (have 60 crescent herb things, 31 half moon herbs, and 32 full moon herbs.).

[quote name='pram12']Can anyone please help me?
For the Phalanx boss in 1-1, I realize you have to use fire to kill him. I have like 8 fire bombs and like 13 turpetine. Do you think it is enough to kill him? I really don't want to waste them trying because I've grinded like crazy already (have 60 crescent herb things, 31 half moon herbs, and 32 full moon herbs.).
[/QUOTE]
Yes... easily.
You'll probably only need a few of the turpentine. They go down pretty quickly with the fire buff.

[quote name='Darknyss']Yes... easily.
You'll probably only need a few of the turpentine. They go down pretty quickly with the fire buff.
[/QUOTE]

And one more question.
Does it matter which weapon I am using with turpentine? I am using the scimitar because it's pretty light-weight and a soldier's shield. Will the scimitar finish him off easily?
Thanks for the help dude!

[quote name='pram12']And one more question.
Does it matter which weapon I am using with turpentine? I am using the scimitar because it's pretty light-weight and a soldier's shield. Will the scimitar finish him off easily?
Thanks for the help dude![/QUOTE]

I'm sure with any regular sword, the fire buff will be good enough. I did it the hard way using a spear and no fire buff. Took a while but did it in one try, running around like a madman.

[quote name='jacknicklson']The best is firestorming that bitch on subsequent playthroughs[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's the easy way. I actually have fun running around taking out all of those phalangeals melee style, one by one.

Ok, I'm only on soul level 14 or so, and I beat the executioner, or whatever it's called, on level 1-1. So afterward, I go into the building and get down to the bottom, and I couldn't carry all the armor and stuff at the bottom. I thought I could come back and get it later, but now it's gone. Super suckage. Then I got killed falling on the lower rafter and couldn't get my soul back :( Luckily I only lost like 600 souls or so.

Anyway, that enemy is super hard. I died like 4 times trying to kill her. I finally
lead her up the stairs and down to the bottom of the hill. I rolled and doged her for a little while, then I found that I could go to that square concrete area and just stay on the opposite side of the structure as her. She'd run around and wouldn't be able to get me LOL so I just would lead her to the same side as me, shoot her, then run around the other side again. Kind of reminded me of the strategy to kill the end boss of Uncharted 2.

Turpentine adds a static +80 fire damage to any weapon for 60 seconds, so it doesn't matter too much what weapon you use with it.

===

You have the opportunity to get that armor another way later in the level but if it makes you feel any better that armor is so heavy it's pretty impractical to wear.
After beating the tower night in the 2nd section of world 1 there is a level inside the castle walls, the 3rd section. One of the keys unlocks the jail cell of Biorr who is a knight which wears that armor. You can either kill him outright and take his armor, or wait. He will pop in to help you out at various points through the level. When he dies grab the loot from his corpse. If you miss it that time, once Biorr is dead you can purchase his armor from the vendor in the 3rd section of level 1.

If you don't already have the Ring of Herculean Strength (increases your item capacity while wearing the ring) climb about halfway up the tower on the left at the start of 1-1, walk outside on the balcony, chop the 2 chains, grab the hairpin off the ground at the base of the tower, and take it to stockpile Thomas. That way if there is ever any juicy items on the ground that you don't have room for you can put on the ring, pick up the items, and run back to the archstone or warp out of the level.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jh6269']Ok, I'm only on soul level 14 or so, and I beat the executioner, or whatever it's called, on level 1-1. So afterward, I go into the building and get down to the bottom, and I couldn't carry all the armor and stuff at the bottom. I thought I could come back and get it later, but now it's gone. Super suckage. Then I got killed falling on the lower rafter and couldn't get my soul back :( Luckily I only lost like 600 souls or so.[/QUOTE]
Miranda can be kited down to the passageway where the gate locks if you don't have the right WT and she will give up chase. At that point, you can just walk up behind her and backstab, run away, rinse & repeat til she dies. It's a bug, but for someone your level makes it super easy and safe. My character would just go in and one shot her now lol.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Is this game similar to Diablo II on the Hardcore setting?[/QUOTE]
The similar "retrieving your body" mechanic and the fact that it is an action RPG is most it has in common. In D2 your body holds your equipped items and some of your lost XP since you last leveled up. In Demon's souls your dead body holds all your XP / cash (souls work for both) so if you fail to retrieve your body and die again all your souls not banked into levels are lost.

Diablo 2 has random dungeons, Demon's Souls has static dungeons. Diablo 2 has random loot, In Demon's souls about 90% of the loot is always dropped by a certain enemy, can be picked up in a location in the level, or purchased from a vendor. The only time you will need to kill grind for items is ore used to craft weapons at the highest level. The mood and atmosphere is a lot closer to Diablo 1 than Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 has static character classes which all learn different spells / abilities and learn skills at different rates. In Demon's souls the only difference between character classes is your starting equipment and skills; any class can wield a weapon, spell, or level up skills as effectively as any other class. Diablo 2 has an overhead isometric view, Demon's Souls is over the shoulder.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The similar "retrieving your body" mechanic and the fact that it is an action RPG is most it has in common. In D2 your body holds your equipped items and some of your lost XP since you last leveled up. In Demon's souls your dead body holds all your XP / cash (souls work for both) so if you fail to retrieve your body and die again all your souls not banked into levels are lost.

Diablo 2 has random dungeons, Demon's Souls has static dungeons. Diablo 2 has random loot, In Demon's souls about 90% of the loot is always dropped by a certain enemy, can be picked up in a location in the level, or purchased from a vendor. The only time you will need to kill grind for items is ore used to craft weapons at the highest level. The mood and atmosphere is a lot closer to Diablo 1 than Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 has static character classes which all learn different spells / abilities and learn skills at different rates. In Demon's souls the only difference between character classes is your starting equipment and skills; any class can wield a weapon, spell, or level up skills as effectively as any other class. Diablo 2 has an overhead isometric view, Demon's Souls is over the shoulder.[/QUOTE]

This has been very helpful. Thanks a lot. I ordered it the other day (was still debating), but it definately sounds like a keeper.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The similar "retrieving your body" mechanic and the fact that it is an action RPG is most it has in common. In D2 your body holds your equipped items and some of your lost XP since you last leveled up. In Demon's souls your dead body holds all your XP / cash (souls work for both) so if you fail to retrieve your body and die again all your souls not banked into levels are lost.

Diablo 2 has static character classes which all learn different spells / abilities and learn skills at different rates. In Demon's souls the only difference between character classes is your starting equipment and skills; any class can wield a weapon, spell, or level up skills as effectively as any other class. Diablo 2 has an overhead isometric view, Demon's Souls is over the shoulder.[/QUOTE]

Awesome I'm a huge fan of the Diablo games so I think I will like this one a bunch. :)

[quote name='guardian_owl']
If you don't already have the Ring of Herculean Strength (increases your item capacity while wearing the ring)....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know... I'm freaking stupid. I had the ring and I totally didn't realize it until I returned to the nexus. Well, anyway, I guess it's fine. It's a damned shame you can't sell your stuff, because I have a ton of crap I could sell.

I started as a Wanderer. When do I get magic?
I want to go through the Cave level (the orange caves with a Spider as a boss). I was playing co-op with these two guys and I saw one guy destroying the spider with Ice magic I think. He also killed those fat guys who breath fire very easily.
I ask too many questions :cold:

[quote name='pram12']I started as a Wanderer. When do I get magic?
I want to go through the Cave level (the orange caves with a Spider as a boss). I was playing co-op with these two guys and I saw one guy destroying the spider with Ice magic I think. He also killed those fat guys who breath fire very easily.
I ask too many questions :cold:[/QUOTE]

I saw the magic guy in the nexus, you have to go past the blacksmith between the stairs and the column. There's one guy that sells miracles there. On the left side of the big ramp, there is a guy that sells magic spells.
Both guys are on the back side of the big column on their respective side.

[quote name='pram12']I started as a Wanderer. When do I get magic?
I ask too many questions :cold:[/QUOTE]

You also have to have a magic level of 10 for the apprentice to teach you magic, the wanderer starts with a level of 9.

You also need a catalyst for magic you can find a simple wooden one on the first tower on the causeway with the red dragon in 1-2.

To cast miracles you need a talisman of god which you can find near the first fog gate in 4-1 (shrine of Storms).

Equip the appropriate magical item for either faith or magic, "remember" which spells/miracles you wish to cast. Press up on the directional pad to cycle through to the spell-acle you want then press L1/R1 to cast.

You can purchase some minor spells and miracles, but the heavy duty stuff will require converting Demon Boss souls into spells/miracles which you will be able to do once you unlock two new vendors in the Nexus in the course of your playthrough.

Well I completed it. Got to say, not that impressed in the end. The bosses are pretty poor and forgettable and the enemy AI isn't grand (whoever programmed those gargoyles need to be fired: flying falling, flying falling, flying away - embarrassing to watch). Seeing enemies repeatedly walk into things in the cesspool world also got pretty lame.

The difficulty isn't really as hard as people make it out to be and most of my deaths was when the camera decided it should look at me through the ceiling making it damn hard to know where I was. At the end of the day you have a pretty standard game. I mean I completed it - but I never had the urge to play it. The lack of needing stuff to upgrade (like in Monster Hunter) made sure there was no "I just need to kill one more" kind of feeling. I never felt I was really after anything or trying to obtain anything.

I think it's a flawed game that obviously many people have fallen in love, but not a great game in itself.

Thanks guys for the help! Today I owned two bosses (1-2 and 2-1) with the Soul Arrow (Firebolt is pretty useless so far). But the dumb miracles lady only talks about her grandfather (and I have the eye of talisman). Eh whatever.

I swear co-op in this game is amazing. IMO, one of the best co-op experiences for PS3.

[quote name='Goemar']I think it's a flawed game that obviously many people have fallen in love, but not a great game in itself.[/QUOTE]
It's a niche game for the oldschool, hardcore players who want to be challenged. I'm glad that upgrading wasn't required, because the game is about pure skill -- not gear. Kids these days. . .

It is a challenge for those who have time to take failure quite often; man I forgot how many hours of progress was lost when I forgot to check for bloodstains before moving forward.

Traded the game for Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma after putting ~30 hrs without moving past the first quest-portal.

[quote name='skyknight']It is a challenge for those who have time to take failure quite often; man I forgot how many hours of progress was lost when I forgot to check for bloodstains before moving forward.

Traded the game for Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma after putting ~30 hrs without moving past the first quest-portal.[/QUOTE]

So... You traded the game because you kept losing for a game that will destroy you? Or am I off?

[quote name='Goemar']Well I completed it. Got to say, not that impressed in the end. The bosses are pretty poor and forgettable and the enemy AI isn't grand (whoever programmed those gargoyles need to be fired: flying falling, flying falling, flying away - embarrassing to watch). Seeing enemies repeatedly walk into things in the cesspool world also got pretty lame.

The difficulty isn't really as hard as people make it out to be and most of my deaths was when the camera decided it should look at me through the ceiling making it damn hard to know where I was. At the end of the day you have a pretty standard game. I mean I completed it - but I never had the urge to play it. The lack of needing stuff to upgrade (like in Monster Hunter) made sure there was no "I just need to kill one more" kind of feeling. I never felt I was really after anything or trying to obtain anything.

I think it's a flawed game that obviously many people have fallen in love, but not a great game in itself.[/QUOTE]

I don't know man, I am going through a FAQ right now (don't have time to play this blind), and you have to upgrade your weapons to be able to take out enemies quicker.

Yeah, it's not a perfect game, the AI isn't the best, but I'm kind of glad it's not; the game would be damned impossible if the AI were any smarter. Also, they'd probably have to reduce the amount of enemies if the AI were smart, because the battles would take longer.

I don't like western RPGs, such as Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I have to say that I think this game is about 1000 times better than Oblivion. I actually want to play this game and try to get my character stronger and get better weapons. Also, I actually care about the story and have some sense of what i have to do next (unlike Oblivion). Also the combat is a hell of a lot better than Oblivion. I haven't played Fallout 3, but from what I can tell, this game actually requires skill (there is no VATS system to give you a perfect head shot each and every time).

I really like the strategy of the game. The enemies are really tough, but you can use ranged attacks and boosters to kill them w/o much trouble (especially if you have the thieve's ring).

Camera controls aren't the best; if you're locked onto an enemy and he flies over head, your camera goes wild. I'm getting used to the combat now, but I still would rather have a L2 or L1 lock-on + strafe so you could lock on at will.

So anyway, I haven't completed the game, so I can't say with 100% certainty that this is a great game, but so far I'm really liking it. I didn't like it much at first, but now it's kind of growing on me (probably mostly because I'm actually able to hold my own now).

[quote name='crzyboy88']So... You traded the game because you kept losing for a game that will destroy you? Or am I off?[/QUOTE]

I guess you could said so, the game doesn't have any checkpoints, and when you die, you do have to backtrack to your last fallen spot to claim back to soul points you gain earlier, meaning you better know what kill you the last time and get ready for it.

Good if you have plenty of time to kill and want to test your skills, definitely not for the ordinary RPG fans.

[quote name='skyknight']I guess you could said so, the game doesn't have any checkpoints, and when you die, you do have to backtrack to your last fallen spot to claim back to soul points you gain earlier, meaning you better know what kill you the last time and get ready for it.

Good if you have plenty of time to kill and want to test your skills, definitely not for the ordinary RPG fans.[/QUOTE]
I got tired of this. I loved the game, but just felt like I was wasting too much time going over the same areas with nothing to show for it. Games are played for FUN, not frustration. And this game did that to me. Well made game and I still have it so eventually when I am bored, I will get back into it. But right now I have so many other games to clear out of my backlog.

[quote name='Jodou']It's a niche game for the oldschool, hardcore players who want to be challenged. I'm glad that upgrading wasn't required, because the game is about pure skill -- not gear. Kids these days. . .[/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought, being a hardcore oldschool loving gamer. But just wasn't my thing.

Just got this game and i gotta say i was extremely frustrated with it at the beginning but ever since i discovered walkthrough's I've become a new man with no frustration but just a great sense of achievement I've progressed very quickly and defeated the first two major bosses. Just goes to show thinking outside the box never fails.

Uhh how do you get miracles? I powered my faith level up to 10 and have the Talisman of God but the lady keeps talking about some miracle of god lol.

Man I'm such a noob. I haven't even taken a look at the instruction manual and this whole time I've been getting owned by the red guy with spear in the very first level......and I totally forgot about leveling myself up, hahahahaha. I think I've died 5 times already, time to start over while I'm still in the way beginning.

[quote name='pram12']Uhh how do you get miracles? I powered my faith level up to 10 and have the Talisman of God but the lady keeps talking about some miracle of god lol.[/QUOTE]

Miracles are learned from Saint Urbain (4-2), whom you need to rescue first.

[quote name='guynextshore']
Miracles are learned from Saint Urbain (4-2), whom you need to rescue first.
[/QUOTE]
Not entirely true, after you beat the first boss there is a disciple of God which appears in the Nexus, he will sell you a few minor miracles. He is the guy between the faith lady and the sniveling follower of God.

[quote name='richierich']Man I'm such a noob. I haven't even taken a look at the instruction manual and this whole time I've been getting owned by the red guy with spear in the very first level......and I totally forgot about leveling myself up, hahahahaha. I think I've died 5 times already, time to start over while I'm still in the way beginning.[/QUOTE]

You can't beat him easily unless you have ranged attacks, or lead him to the stairs make him fall down. I'm doing the Game FAQs walkthrough and their strategy worked:

Go down the tower corridor, past the blue eyed knight and not through the fog (take out all the enemies around the whole upper level first). Go down the tower, taking out all of the zombies on the way down. There's a lever to open the gate at the bottom. There are two barrels near the top of the tower, don't break them. Once you got all the zombies killed, go back to the red eye knight and lure him to the tower. Sqeeze past the barrels and stand at 45-degree angle so the barrels and the center of the tower are between you and the knight. The knight should walk directly at you, instead of going around the barrels. He'll fall to his death to the bottom. You get 2000 souls for it, and he usually gives you a good item drop.

I did this so many times to level up enough before I progressed.

I'm really loving this game. Even though I'm cheating, and the worlds are all pure white tendency, it's really fun. I just lose track of time playing it...

Hey Guys, so I'm on the Blue Dragon and I've tried fighting him 3 or 4 times. Biorr was alive when I started but the Blue Dragon killed him on my second-to-last attempt :(

I never was able to get under the archway where the blue dragon was; I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Somehow I'm not fast enough to get there by sprinting. One breath and I'm dead. I have a purple flame shield +7, and it does absolutely nothing against his fire.

So, I tried the other strategy of standing just beyond his flame breath and firing at his mouth. I have a +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow, and each time I hit him in the mouth, it only takes off 1 point. I had like 400 to 500 heavy arrows, and it still only takes off 1 point per shot.

My question is, is there any weapon I can get that can take off more than 1 point per shot? Or is there some level I can attain that can help? My Dexterity is about level 27 or 28, that seems to increase my attack by bow. Did anyone use the same strategy?

If you're standing beyond his flame and shooting, you're probably too far to do much damage. I think most people kill him by standing underneath him after they run past the fire (I know I did). One thing that will increase your damage massively is so-called "hyper mode." Basically, get your HP down to under 1/3 and use the clever rat's ring and morion blade; they both boost damage when HP is low.

Make sure your equip burden is below half so that you have maximum speed. If you have the miracle second chance, cast it, that will protect you from a one-hit kill. If you don't have second chance, buy water veil from Freke / Freke's apprentice and cast it before the run. Equip the flame resist ring if you have it. If for some reason you are using the flame shield with less than the needed 22 strength then a hit uses up a TON more stamina then normal when struck. Put it in your right-hand and 2-hand it if necessary to meet the requirements. If you are not raising the flame shield to protect yourself then that could be your problem as unlike the Dark Silver shield there is no passive boost to fire defense just for having it equipped.

Position yourself near the charred corpses on on the left side of the stairs. Raise your shield and inch forward a few steps after every flame pass. Eventually the flames will hit your shield, take off a little health, and knock you back out of the flames; this is your starting point. Let your stamina replenish to full, raise your shield, and then a beat after the flames start burning in front of you hold down sprint and begin running along the left side of the stair case. Don't stop running until you are through the archway.

From the archway you can R3 lock onto the dragon and shot it in the head safely.

Lol, that's a lot of prep work for something you can just time and run past. Watch his breath and start from the left, moving to the right around the middle. I've never been hit by him doing that.

Man, 5-2 is so frustrating. That stupid poison swamp is owning me so hard. I have tons of MP, but having to go through 50 MP everytime I get poisoned (I think 30 for cure and 20 for heal) gets me mad. Plus, you can't even roll in this dump so the big troll thing keeps killing me. I think I'm going to use warding and light weapon on him... though I think that's overkill.

Yeah those big trolls are annoying. I left the level 'till quite late in the game. The ring of poison resistance is pretty helpful. With the big trolls try to fight them so your on land. I took out the smaller ones without attracting the attention of the big one and then made the big one chase back to a piece of land to fight him.

[quote name='Goemar'] With the big trolls try to fight them so your on land. I took out the smaller ones without attracting the attention of the big one and then made the big one chase back to a piece of land to fight him.[/QUOTE]

This. Definitely fight them on land - their blows are easy to avoid by rolling once you get up onto their islands.

Regarding the poison - use equipment that regenerates HP. Your HP goes down, but it's so slow you don't really need to worry about it. There's a ring for that which is easy to get, though I forget the name right now. Black leather armor also helps quite a bit due to its poison resistance.

bread's done
Back