Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
hustletron said:
On a side note, damn is it ever hard to farm spinmetal on earth!!!! I can farm helium coils no problem all day on the moon but spinmetal is very hard to come by. Save them up if you're still leveling, my legendary pulse rifle needs 18 spin metal to max upgrade, save your helium coils too!!!!
I was waiting around for the Walker to show up and that spot is pretty good for farming. One usually shows up near the building where you first enter with the Vandals/Dregs in front of it. There's also often a treasure chest in the back part of it. Then run over behind where the snipers are and sometimes there's a spinmetal there.

I did the walker mission a second time and did not get credit for the Queen's bounty. It sucked because I did about 75% of the damage with my rocket launcher but then someone else got the kill. I'm not sure if we know if it is that or if it is repeating the mission but there you go. I then did the Strike and the Moon public event and got the 2 I needed. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the kills either of those times.

I'm sitting on 4 legendary engrams right now (one that I got in a regular chest on the moon). I'm waiting for one more Cryptarch level before I try to redeem them...

[quote name="hustletron" post="12118407" timestamp="1411631365"]I'm able to solo most if not all the Queen's Wrath missions, some are easier than others, the bosses are not hard, 1 to 2 rockets from a legendary rocket launcher and they are dead, the problem is the overwhelming numbers solo. You have to play very carefully. I'm using Sunsinger and can solo usually no problem.

On a side note, damn is it ever hard to farm spinmetal on earth!!!! I can farm helium coils no problem all day on the moon but spinmetal is very hard to come by. Save them up if you're still leveling, my legendary pulse rifle needs 18 spin metal to max upgrade, save your helium coils too!!!![/quote]
Right before you get to the devil's lair where hive and fallen are fighting run the perimeter. There are a ton of rooms that will spawn chests. That's how I got a ton of spin metal. I think the area is skywatch? If you Google I believe there are lots of videos on it.

I was waiting around for the Walker to show up and that spot is pretty good for farming. One usually shows up near the building where you first enter with the Vandals/Dregs in front of it. There's also often a treasure chest in the back part of it. Then run over behind where the snipers are and sometimes there's a spinmetal there.

I did the walker mission a second time and did not get credit for the Queen's bounty. It sucked because I did about 75% of the damage with my rocket launcher but then someone else got the kill. I'm not sure if we know if it is that or if it is repeating the mission but there you go. I then did the Strike and the Moon public event and got the 2 I needed. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the kills either of those times.

I'm sitting on 4 legendary engrams right now (one that I got in a regular chest on the moon). I'm waiting for one more Cryptarch level before I try to redeem them...
I did the Walker mission 4 times last night and only got credit for one kill on the Queen's bounty. Decided it was just not worth it although it is good for getting easy Vanguard marks.

I did the Walker mission 4 times last night and only got credit for one kill on the Queen's bounty. Decided it was just not worth it although it is good for getting easy Vanguard marks.
I had trouble getting this bounty last night too before I realized that you had to get the kill shot. I killed my first in a public event and #2 on my first strike...then did 2 more strikes before I realized you had to get the kill shot. Therefore, I just went to patrol on Earth where the walker spawns and killed it there for #3.

Xur the secret vendor that comes on the weekend takes your motes for exotic engrams! Coins for exotic gear too. If you do the level 22 weekly strike you can get 3 coins every week. Another 3 for the 26 and then a final 3 more for the 28 strike.
Or just do the 28 strike and get all 9 coins in one go without having to replay the same thing 3 times in a row :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Flawless Striker is easy, but just don't be that douche guy and sit in the corner while the other 2 people do the whole strike.

Yeah, I figure it shouldn't be difficult with three 20+ characters on the level 8 Earth strike. But that one is no big deal, seems like it wouldn't even be too hard to achieve with randoms and a bit of luck. My main priority is organizing for the clan achievement.

Who on 360 is in the CAG clan and wants to go for Strength of the Pack and Flawless Striker tonight? Let's get a fireteam going!
I would be down for this. I am a level 24 hunter. My GT is Cancerman1120. I should be on by 7pm EST. I have a mic also if needed.

Also for those that do not know the LOOT CAVE has been patched.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/destinys-loot-cave-is-closed-for-business?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Without actually fixing some of the end game issues Bungie may be risking losing people by shutting down these farming techniques.

Also, breaking down Queen's Wrath Legendaries will no longer give you Ascendent materials. Seriously what the fuck is Bungie doing? Do they want us to grind that same crap forever to get almost nothing? Their 10 year plan will be done in 6 months at this rate.

Flawless Striker is easy, but just don't be that douche guy and sit in the corner while the other 2 people do the whole strike.
I hate to sound like a douche, and I'm still personally conflicted about this, but when I see people not contributing, I purposely fail the strike or mission or pretend to be AFK so that people quit out. I don't like moochers. Do your share or gtfo.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Without actually fixing some of the end game issues Bungie may be risking losing people by shutting down these farming techniques.
I think farming the cave is such a waste of time, but at least it provided some people with hope. I've seen people grind for 12+ hours over the past weekend at that cave and they are still stuck at 25. Had they spent that time planning and doing other activities they could've been at 28 by now.

I hate to sound like a douche, and I'm still personally conflicted about this, but when I see people not contributing, I purposely fail the strike or mission or pretend to be AFK so that people quit out. I don't like moochers. Do your share or gtfo.

I think farming the cave is such a waste of time, but at least it provided some people with hope. I've seen people grind for 12+ hours over the past weekend at that cave and they are still stuck at 25. Had they spent that time planning and doing other activities they could've been at 28 by now.
The one upside to farming the cave was that you could level up a new character pretty quickly. So, if you wanted to create a new character the cave might have been a great place to level up. Also, the world event occurring every 30 minutes was a nice perk. That said you are right, most people will have a hard time going over lvl 25/26 simply by farming the cave.

I would be down for this. I am a level 24 hunter. My GT is Cancerman1120. I should be on by 7pm EST. I have a mic also if needed.
Awesome. I have at least one other friend in the clan who's planning to play tonight so we should be able to do this. I'm open to doing multiple runs too if we end up with more people. Especially now since the loot cave is gone. :( I only ended up farming it one night, but it was actually kind of fun, just hanging out shooting the breeze with people and picking up a few engrams. Got a legendary pulse rifle and leveled from 22 to 24 so I'm happy.

The one upside to farming the cave is that you can level up a low level character pretty quickly. So, if you wanted to create a new character the cave might be a great place to level up. The one added bonus of farming the cave is that a world event occurs every 30 minutes. Thus, you can get 4 vanguard marks every 30 minutes which you can use to buy better gear. That said you are right, most people will have a hard time going over lvl 25/26 simply by farming the cave.
Everything you said is true. When I have started new characters though, I much preferred to play through the story missions to level up. They are straighforward, you earn thousands of XP at the end of each in addition to the XP in-game, you have just as much of a chance to get engrams from killing the story enemies, and it's not boring. It's a guaranteed level 18-20 by the time you finish. (Though the cave would've let you level up even if AFK...)

Reading this thread I realize I don't have any idea what I should be doing in this game each day, lol.
Just have fun. That's the most important thing. Everything else is people being OCD.
This. Just play whatever you want. It's like GTA. There's no set way to play. That said, there are some activities that have level gates (e.g., Nightfall recommends 28, Raids recommends 26). If you want a sure way to level up, my strategy:

• Get to rank 2 in Vanguard, Crucible, or faction rep (do bounties, play crucible) AND earn Vanguard or Crucible marks (max 100 per week; fairly easy to earn)
  • Then buy your own legendary gear. Guaranteed level 25.
  • Save up/earn strange coins and buy an exotic armor when Xur shows up. With some upgrades, that will get you to 27/28 and you can participate in everything.

Is there a better primary gun type to use in the Crucible? I have been using a pulse rifle since its my most powerful weapon but do auto or scout rifles fair better?

I just report them using the in-game report feature.

And I agree that cave farming is a waste of time. I don't do cave farming. Rather have fun than make it a boring job to play games.

Dammit! I knew I should've dismantled those queen's wrath items for ascendant shards yesterday :(

Stupid stupid me!

Is there a better primary gun type to use in the Crucible? I have been using a pulse rifle since its my most powerful weapon but do auto or scout rifles fair better?
I haven't played much crucible, so I might be wrong, but from my experience AR paired with an exotic shotgun is the way to go.

AngryDragon888 said:
I had trouble getting this bounty last night too before I realized that you had to get the kill shot. I killed my first in a public event and #2 on my first strike...then did 2 more strikes before I realized you had to get the kill shot. Therefore, I just went to patrol on Earth where the walker spawns and killed it there for #3.
It may be a combination of the two. I definitely didn't get the kill shot when I did two of them, but yet I got the credit. I ended up getting the credit on each of the 3 unique spots and not when I repeated one of them (and also didn't get the kill shot, even though I did most of the initial damage).

Later I was doing the Earth Strike for two different bounties (killing Sepkis Prime and not dying during a strike) and the two guys I went in with were just messing around in the first area forever. I went in and cleared everything out up to the point where you scan something and the 3 waves start. Then I ran back and found the guys and this time they followed me back. So we went in and took care of those guys and then fought the Walker. One of them died like 8 times (WTF!? We were all level 24+). And then when we finally killed it both guys bailed on the mission! I guess they were just trying to get the Walker bounty finished. But I was kind of pissed since then I had to do the final part on my own without dying. I figured I had a chance though. But a strange thing happened. As I was fighting Sepkis Prime, two more guys popped into the game! I've never seen that happen where you start a Strike with some people, they leave, and then others just show up. It was nice as it made the end super easy, though I'm sure I could have done it myself anyway.

genneo said:
Dammit! I knew I should've dismantled those queen's wrath items for ascendant shards yesterday :(

Stupid stupid me!
Luckily I did one the other day but I was still holding on to another that I should have just scrapped.

With all these changes I wish they'd make more of the game available via matchmaking. I'd love to do some of those weekly things everyone is talking about but just can't. I have 90+ people on my Xbox friends list and when I play (late at night Pacific time) there's usually only 4 or 5 on and maybe 1 or 2 max playing Destiny (everyone else is always on Netflix).

It may be a combination of the two. I definitely didn't get the kill shot when I did two of them, but yet I got the credit. I ended up getting the credit on each of the 3 unique spots and not when I repeated one of them (and also didn't get the kill shot, even though I did most of the initial damage).
It's definitely possible. I said I realized you had to get the kill shot, but I meant I assumed you had to. I have no idea if I got the kill shot on my first two walkers, but the first two I took down counted and the next two did not for whatever reason. I know I got the kill shot on the 3rd becuz I was the only one there :)

As far as your experience with random dudes on the strike...yeah, there are a lot of d-bags out there. Are you playing on 360 or xb1? I'm on the xb1 myself and always looking for more people to play with if anybody wants to add me. (AngryDragon888)...just message me that you are a CAG.
I

I'd like to get a crew together for the clan and flawless strike achievements on xbox one. GT is chubbyninja1319 and I'm in the cagcast clan.

^ Flawless is pretty easy to get in matchmaking. I got it long ago before I even got to level 20. Now that I am 26 and tend to get matched up with similar people it is actually quite surprising how much we don't make it flawlessly. Some dufus often dies in a stupid spot. Surprisingly it isn't me, even though I barely ever play shooters. (And of course I'm talking about the regular strikes not any of the 18+ ones).

AngryDragon888 said:
As far as your experience with random dudes on the strike...yeah, there are a lot of d-bags out there. Are you playing on 360 or xb1? I'm on the xb1 myself and always looking for more people to play with if anybody wants to add me. (AngryDragon888)...just message me that you are a CAG.
I
Xbox One. Yeah, add me if you want. My friend's list is mostly from CAG but it goes back to the early 360 days and I think it is pretty stale - there are definitely some people who no longer play on there.

I found another walker on Venus. I was just doing missions I think in the first area to the left, and a walker showed up.

I also went back to the loot cave for kicks. Much to my surprise, people were still doing it. They didn't stop the spawns there completely, they just increased the timer. It is really odd though since one set will come out within seconds of the first. But then it's like 40 seconds for the next one (which matches the patch notes I read earlier). But they definitely still come out of there which is contrary to what the notes seemed to imply. I was just running around that area farming spinmetal and getting Fallen headshots for the Queen's bounty (finally hit level 1). But I'd join the two guys shooting at the cave every so often. All I got was like 5 green items...

I know there are occasional chests that give you better stuff. I got a legendary engram in one on the moon. Today I got one with 12 spinmetal and a blue engram. That almost seems like a better use of your time than the cave shoot anyway. You can farm for an upgrade item you'll need, kill a lot of enemies in the process (perhaps also doing missions that farm drops or kills) which might get you emblems anyway, participate in public events, and also hopefully find a chest with some great stuff in it.

So I hear Lurr shows up really on Friday/Saturday (and not "the weekend" like people said before), So hopefully that means in a few hours. I have an exotic bounty where I found a weapon in a chest on Mars and turned it in to the regular weapon guy who told me to bring it to Lurr. And yeah, I know it is "Xur" or something but I prefer to call him "Lurr".

I'm looking to be online tonight (eastern time) and tomorrow night. Probably 10 PM ish. Does that work for you?

Anybody else in? If not, I have a buddy who's in the CAG clan I could rope in.
Is that me? That's me isn't it? :D/

I am now level 22+ and have been having trouble finding friends leveled up enough to do the strikes with, so any CAG can feel free to add me.

Just have fun. That's the most important thing. Everything else is people being OCD.

This. Just play whatever you want. It's like GTA. There's no set way to play. That said, there are some activities that have level gates (e.g., Nightfall recommends 28, Raids recommends 26). If you want a sure way to level up, my strategy:

• Get to rank 2 in Vanguard, Crucible, or faction rep (do bounties, play crucible) AND earn Vanguard or Crucible marks (max 100 per week; fairly easy to earn)
  • Then buy your own legendary gear. Guaranteed level 25.
  • Save up/earn strange coins and buy an exotic armor when Xur shows up. With some upgrades, that will get you to 27/28 and you can participate in everything.
I finally got to level 20 last night so some of the tips people have posted make a bit more sense now. Finished the moon in campaign so that was a pretty cool environment. Guess I'm heading off to Venus next. Having fun overall so that is good.

I wouldn't mind doing some of the clan achievements if there is a group organizing.

Sigh, I'm sorry guys. I ended up trading in the game. It's just not for me. I found myself too bored especially since my life schedule didn't match with others when online to play. I'll probably pick it back up when they iron out the loot situation and the world a little more. Probably when they knock out a GOTY w/ expansion version but for now I got $40 from Gamestop for it. Good luck to you all!

Ended up doing one of the Venus strike missions by myself without dying to get the achievement. Also couldn't get into any games with other people all day long, had no problems yesterday.

Hah - so I thought I had joined the CAGcast clan but it said I was in no clan when I was on bungie.net. It turns out I added myself to the CAGcast "group" not "clan". What is the point of the Group thing? Anyway, now I'm in the clan. D'oh!

I'll be up for some strikes or whatnot tonight - maybe 7-8 pm Pacific and/or later.

I have yet to do anything that requires a fire team except for the Queen's Wrath mission (a random invited me and the two of us did 4 of them). I'd like to hammer out the clan one at least.

"Odibee" on X1...

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12202

The 1.0.2 patch will go live next week, and includes several changes to the Cryptarch and Engram experience.  These changes guarantee that Engrams will always decode into items at or above the quality of an engram.

Only Engrams that drop after 1.0.2 are subject to this change.

Cryptarch Changes
Cayde-6 took the Cryptarch aside and showed him a sack of doorknobs. He decoded that mystery pretty quickly.
  • Legendary Engrams will always produce Legendary or better quality items, including Materials or Exotics
  • Rare Engrams will always produce Rare or better quality items
  • Rare engrams will have an increased chance to produce Legendary quality items

Activity Changes
  • Daily Heroics, Weekly Heroics, and Vanguard: Tiger Playlist activities will include Rare and Legendary Engrams in addition to their existing rewards

Item Changes
  • Ascendant materials have been promoted to Legendary to closer associate them with the gear they are used to upgrade
  • Legendary Engram items that exist in your inventory will be demoted to Rare quality when the patch goes live, so decode them while you can. But let’s be honest--even if you don’t, we all know they were blues already...

Hah - so I thought I had joined the CAGcast clan but it said I was in no clan when I was on bungie.net. It turns out I added myself to the CAGcast "group" not "clan". What is the point of the Group thing? Anyway, now I'm in the clan. D'oh!

I'll be up for some strikes or whatnot tonight - maybe 7-8 pm Pacific and/or later.

I have yet to do anything that requires a fire team except for the Queen's Wrath mission (a random invited me and the two of us did 4 of them). I'd like to hammer out the clan one at least.

"Odibee" on X1...
You too huh... everything I did made it seem like I joined the clan. But like you said the site shows me only as part of the group.

EDIT: Looks like I DID request to join the clan... but it's gotta get approved before it's official. Womp, womp.

Well the new patch sounds good but I predict a lot of materials from those Legendary engrams over armor or weapons.  Is it just me or does this game seem very lacking in weapon and armor diversity?  I am not expecting Borderlands but even legendary item look the same as the rare ones.  Seems lazy.  Also with the love Shadows of Mordor is getting I am strongly considering trading in Destiny on Sunday.  Eventually I will come back when more content is there.

Alright, I just went ahead and added a lot of the people from this thread as Xbox Live friends. Hopefully now I'll see more than 1 or 2 people on my friends list playing this game!

Note that a lot of you don't have your gamertag in your CAG profile, so if I didn't add you it's probably because I don't know who you are!

Yeah that one looks really cool, I got the other cool looking one today, the one Xur is selling I couldn't stand, that's the lamest one out of the 3 warlock helms IMO. I bought the random helm engram from Xur and got Skull of Dire Akamkara, it's the one that looks like it's made out of a skull.

It's upsetting though that I can't wear my helm AND my cool warlock gloves, they make all the exotics look cool as shit but you can only wear one. WTF?

I'm on and looking to play. I got invited to a fireteam of just one other guy who was only level 21 and he tried to do a weekly heroic strike and ended up with the one on Venus with the shielded thing at the end. He died at least 20 times on our way there and then gave up after that final checkpoint.

I'd like to get one of those done one of these days. I'm not sure if I'm ready for level 28 yet, but I could do one of the other ones.

I'm on and looking to play. I got invited to a fireteam of just one other guy who was only level 21 and he tried to do a weekly heroic strike and ended up with the one on Venus with the shielded thing at the end. He died at least 20 times on our way there and then gave up after that final checkpoint.

I'd like to get one of those done one of these days. I'm not sure if I'm ready for level 28 yet, but I could do one of the other ones.
I need to do the 28 one or else I wont get enough Strange Coins to buy what I need from Xur : (

Finally got my 50th Dead Ghost for the achievement tonight.  No way in hell I would have without a guide.  Some of them were hidden in just ridiculously stupid places.

Tried PvP tonight and I actually really liked it. There are the occasional times when it feels cheap but I am sure that is happening for everyone.  Using your super in game (golden gun for me) is pretty awesome when I explode 3 guns in a row.  I will definitely try to play that some more. Also I always thought the guns from Crucible vendors were only for PvP but I guess the guns you have are the ones you use in both so it is at least another route to Legendaries.

Of yeah I finally got another Legendary engram to decrypt to a legendary item and it turns out to be a helment which is the only legendary I have.  I am thinking I should just scrap it for materials since it is basically the same.  How many shards will it break into? I still need 8 to fully upgrade my Helmet.

So how do weapons work in the Crucible? If someone has a "basic" weapon that does say 100 damage and another player has a "legendary" weapon that does 300 damage how does the game balance that out? Is the first player always going to lose that gunfight to the second player? Or does the game treat all weapons the same once you go into the Crucible? How about armor and health?

You have to select SET AS XBOX CLAN on the CAGcast group/clan page in order to be part of the clan and have the tag show up under your name in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back