Dragon Quest IX 29.99 - DS - amazon.com

Work's sucking away what free time I have at nights and over the weekend so I think I can wait for this baby to drop down to $19.99. Heck, if the Zelda game did, I'm pretty sure that this will too.

[quote name='Raye']Work's sucking away what free time I have at nights and over the weekend so I think I can wait for this baby to drop down to $19.99. Heck, if the Zelda game did, I'm pretty sure that this will too.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, this game is actually really good.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Actually it's published by nintendo in the US.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if Squeenix had released it in America it probably would have been 40 bucks...

And this game already dropping in price has me worried... hopefully it sold well.

This game did pretty well its first month out due to a little thing called "marketing". Nintendo did a hell of a better job advertising this one than Square Enix did with past entries.

Dang, I have it in my goldbox for $28.50.

I don't know...I've heard some good stuff on the podcasts I listen to from guys like me who don't normally like Dragon Quest, though they're only 10+ hours in when I heard it.

This doesn't have anything to do with Level 5, does it? I hate Level 5.

DQ8 I actually almost liked fairly well but then it got super annoying when you had to hunt for the next stupid trigger to keep playing...same thing with DQ8 really. I don't know.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Actually it's published by nintendo in the US.[/QUOTE]

I know who published it. Even so, pretty much all SquareEnix DS games carry the 34.99-39.99 price tag at launch. Pretty silly. $29.99 is the price it should have been in the first place. Then again, at least DQIX is massive enough in scope to warrant the price tag, unlike some of their other releases.

they probally could of gave the game away for free and still made millions on the download quest if they charged for the quest... i say the new DS game you will see that

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, I have it in my goldbox for $28.50.

I don't know...I've heard some good stuff on the podcasts I listen to from guys like me who don't normally like Dragon Quest, though they're only 10+ hours in when I heard it.

This doesn't have anything to do with Level 5, does it? I hate Level 5.

DQ8 I actually almost liked fairly well but then it got super annoying when you had to hunt for the next stupid trigger to keep playing...same thing with DQ8 really. I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on DQVIII on the trigger thing, but I have to say 9 is easy enough to figure out where you have to go. I hate using guides or looking anything up and I haven't had any trouble advancing the plot. I'm 66 hours in and still loving it. In fact, it may be my favorite game on DS. By all means buy it!

[quote name='Maromi']I know who published it. Even so, pretty much all SquareEnix DS games carry the 34.99-39.99 price tag at launch. Pretty silly. $29.99 is the price it should have been in the first place. Then again, at least DQIX is massive enough in scope to warrant the price tag, unlike some of their other releases.[/QUOTE]

Publisher sets the price, so while I agree that there is, in fact, an SE tax for most SE releases, in this case it's a Nintendo of America tax. Which is rather strange given how heavily they've promoted this, but I think NOA's own games have increasingly been retailing for 35.

[quote name='keithp']I agree with you on DQVIII on the trigger thing, but I have to say 9 is easy enough to figure out where you have to go. I hate using guides or looking anything up and I haven't had any trouble advancing the plot. I'm 66 hours in and still loving it. In fact, it may be my favorite game on DS. By all means buy it![/QUOTE]

Cool! Sounds like it may be worth a shot for me then :)

This is one of those games too where I'm like "why isn't this on the PSP instead?" but oh well...at least I've got my XL now :lol:

[quote name='gkrykewy']Publisher sets the price, so while I agree that there is, in fact, an SE tax for most SE releases, in this case it's a Nintendo of America tax. Which is rather strange given how heavily they've promoted this, but I think NOA's own games have increasingly been retailing for 35.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, to me it's not surprising at all if they've been promoting it. I don't know how I feel. At least it's not $60+ that they've been pushing on the PS3/Xbox this gen.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Publisher sets the price, so while I agree that there is, in fact, an SE tax for most SE releases, in this case it's a Nintendo of America tax. Which is rather strange given how heavily they've promoted this, but I think NOA's own games have increasingly been retailing for 35.[/QUOTE]

The marketing division sets price based on the net revenue of comparable products at difference price points that have gone to market under similar conditions.

In this case both Nintendo and SE are co-marketing and would set price because both have investments tied into the product. Nintendo is handling distribution and marketing while SE handled both the initial development , localization, and marketing costs as well.

SE has just failed to develop DQ as a brand so they were willing to give up rev share based on Nintendo's promise to better market the product. Nintendo cited games like Professor Layton as an example of their ability to successfully market "new" japanese IPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone with a DS and even a passing interest in RPGs needs to own this game. In my eyes it might end up being the best game released on the DS when all is said and done.

[quote name='bvharris']Everyone with a DS and even a passing interest in RPGs needs to own this game. In my eyes it might end up being the best game released on the DS when all is said and done.[/QUOTE]

See I'm just confused though based on the earlier games, that this apparently has even LESS of a story than earlier games, and annoying stuff like revive spells having a chance to fail.

[quote name='Wolfpup']See I'm just confused though based on the earlier games, that this apparently has even LESS of a story than earlier games, and annoying stuff like revive spells having a chance to fail.[/QUOTE]

If you're just looking for an RPG to sink 40 hours into, beat, and never touch again than DQIX is still well above average, though it does have a few flaws, including a pretty generic story. The beauty of the game is in the post-game though, so if you're looking for a game to pour hundreds of hours into (as I have already) then there's no better option available right now.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What do you do after you beat it? I guess it has random dungeons or something that you can find?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and if you put your game into Wifi "tag" mode and come within wifi range of other people doing the same you trade maps. There are tons of different equipment you can find or get from bosses in those maps to equip your characters. Think Diablo, but with Dragon Quest equipment and characters. Seriously, Wolfpup, rarely do I think a game is worth full-price, but this would be one of them. It's that good!

Well dang, I guess I really should try it :) (Although part of me is like YOU CRAZY PERSON, YOU HAVE OVER 100 GAMES IN YOUR BACKLOG! :lol:)

bread's done
Back