Dragons Dogma 5/22/12 Updated with Expansion details

[quote name='pete5883']Started this last night, I think I'm hooked. Someone rent my pawn!

I am a Strider and I definitely could grab on to a big monster. Also I'm pretty sure you can turn off the controls display in the options.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I guess Mages are the only ones that cannot then. Thanks for the info :)

sorry to bump the thread, but how is this game compare to dark souls or demon souls, is it hard? also is there any difference between 360 and ps3 version?

So I just got this tonight, and am totally lost. I took three missions from a board in a tavern, but can't seem to locate anything on my map even with the mission selected....I'm supposed to kill 5 rabbits?

[quote name='praxus07']So I just got this tonight, and am totally lost. I took three missions from a board in a tavern, but can't seem to locate anything on my map even with the mission selected....I'm supposed to kill 5 rabbits?[/QUOTE]
Maybe the game isn't going to hold your hand and you just go out to find rabbits to kill. Haven't had a chance to play yet so I could be wrong, but people tend to forget when RPGs didn't have quest markers these days.

[quote name='Jodou']Maybe the game isn't going to hold your hand and you just go out to find rabbits to kill. Haven't had a chance to play yet so I could be wrong, but people tend to forget when RPGs didn't have quest markers these days.[/QUOTE]

This.. the game likes you to adventure off the path and then totally destroy you. Also something to keep in mind there is no Auto save so if you die you might have lost Hours of gameplay if you did not previously save or go to an Inn. I learned that the hard way tonight. Just lost 3hrs.

[quote name='Jodou']Maybe the game isn't going to hold your hand and you just go out to find rabbits to kill. Haven't had a chance to play yet so I could be wrong, but people tend to forget when RPGs didn't have quest markers these days.[/QUOTE]

If it's not going to hold my hand then I'll be incredibly unhappy that I just wasted $60. I happen to like quest markers, waypoints, and all that good stuff that make games enjoyable to non-sadomasochistic gamers.

Actually think I'll have to print out a guide for this, after a couple hours of wandering around I still haven't found any damn rabbits.

[quote name='praxus07']If it's not going to hold my hand then I'll be incredibly unhappy that I just wasted $60. I happen to like quest markers, waypoints, and all that good stuff that make games enjoyable to non-sadomasochistic gamers.

Actually think I'll have to print out a guide for this, after a couple hours of wandering around I still haven't found any damn rabbits.[/QUOTE]
The game does give you markers, checkpoints, etc, for most quests. The quests that involve killing X rabbits/goblins/ogres don't have markers, and you're not supposed to do them right away. Know that you will come across all the different creatures eventually, so just make sure to kill some rabbits the next time you come across them.

Right when you exit Cassardis for the first time, there is a big tree to the left, about 15 meters away with rabbits dancing around it.

Nice thing about creature killing quests is that you don't have to go to the listed location and can kill them anywhere.

[quote name='KrizB']Right when you exit Cassardis for the first time, there is a big tree to the left, about 15 meters away with rabbits dancing around it.

Nice thing about creature killing quests is that you don't have to go to the listed location and can kill them anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I'll check that out in about five minutes, Thanks.

Quick question, are the pawns roaming around the countryside roads also other players pawns or are they built by the game devs? Asking because every time I cross paths with one the Connecting to Servers (or something like that) message pops up wether I stop to talk to one or not.

I don't seem to be earning very many Rift Crystals at all, so if anyone wants to help out and take my Pawn for a spin...his name's Valen, level 35 warrior.....

sorry to bump the thread again, but does dragons dogma come with an online pass, or do you need one to use the trade pawn options

Anyone that's played both this and KoA..thoughts on which one is better? Both look kickass but my gaming time is too limited to play both anytime soon.

really getting frustrated....fighting the iron golem in witchwood, with the disks (which are immune to magic) you have to destroy to kill it, and since one is in a tree over the stream I can't make a dent in that last disk. Magic archer, along with my pawns (fighter and two mages). Things like this frustrate me so badly.

OK, so I defeated the dragon, and thought that would be the end of the game. How long does the game continue after killing him? Also see things about NG+, does that option become available after finishing this post dragon stuff?

[quote name='praxus07']OK, so I defeated the dragon, and thought that would be the end of the game. How long does the game continue after killing him? Also see things about NG+, does that option become available after finishing this post dragon stuff?[/QUOTE]

Well it depends on how high of level you are and how much exploring you want to do but around 5-7 hours or so. And yes after you finish the post game quests there will be an option to go into new game+.

[quote name='Kotomine']
Well it depends on how high of level you are and how much exploring you want to do but around 5-7 hours or so. And yes after you finish the post game quests there will be an option to go into new game+.
[/QUOTE]
To clarify: it's not really an option. Once you're done you are forced into NG+, you cannot continue to explore.

OK, so I got the twenty items needed to I guess really finish the game, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things I should acquire before finishing and starting NG+? Like weapons, armor sets, etc? My toon is a magic archer and my pawn is fighter/warrior.

I had no idea about dragonforging, so was wearing a crap mismatched set when I killed the dragon, so missed out that time on having a cool set dragonforged.

[quote name='pete5883']
To clarify: it's not really an option. Once you're done you are forced into NG+, you cannot continue to explore.
[/QUOTE]

Well you can still search Cassardis as an invisible being watching people... I spent a good 2 hours roaming around observing people standing still, sitting and (my personal favorite) walking. It was incredibly fun.
;)

[quote name='praxus07']OK, so I got the twenty items needed to I guess really finish the game, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things I should acquire before finishing and starting NG+? Like weapons, armor sets, etc? My toon is a magic archer and my pawn is fighter/warrior.

I had no idea about dragonforging, so was wearing a crap mismatched set when I killed the dragon, so missed out that time on having a cool set dragonforged.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend finishing up some of the board requests. Also search the Everfall a lot as there is some really good armor/clothing/weapons down there and find the various merchants in the Everfall and buy what stuff you want/need from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
gonna get this after a price drop, looks awesome!

marketing was pathetic for this game, i only found out about this game because i visit the capcom-unity blog here and there...

horrible timing releasing right after D3, if i was capcom i woulda released it 2 weeks prior to help ease in waiting for d3 lol

[quote name='praxus07']OK, so I got the twenty items needed to I guess really finish the game, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things I should acquire before finishing and starting NG+? Like weapons, armor sets, etc? My toon is a magic archer and my pawn is fighter/warrior.

I had no idea about dragonforging, so was wearing a crap mismatched set when I killed the dragon, so missed out that time on having a cool set dragonforged.[/QUOTE]
I've been keeping an eye on the GameFAQs forums the last few days - right after someone kills the Ur-Dragon, you have about 30 minutes to get some last hits in, and then get a bunch of loot. You'll get Dragonforged every time, and you'll get a few million worth of stuff to sell. You can also do this as soon as you start NG+, but it might be nice to use now while you can still spend the money anywhere.

I'm passing on the whole Ur dragon thing (still really know nothing about it since there's no mention of it in the game). I just can't be bothered to sit at the pc (no laptop, netbook, pad, or smartphone here) constantly checking sites (especially gamefaqs, that place is just a total mess) to see when it's going to be killed. I'd rather be broke, which my character is, than waste realtime worrying about when to go whack it a few times.

I did read that if you kill the smaller dragons ingame you get dragonforged, but I think that's false. Killed a bunch of them and didn't get anything dragonforged.

Also saw just now when I was looking for the seller in Estrangement (went into Lament instead) that I got a whopping hunk of ambrosial meat, a few hundred coins, and a potion for adding damage to Ur when I was in there the one time. Lame....

[quote name='praxus07']I'm passing on the whole Ur dragon thing (still really know nothing about it since there's no mention of it in the game). I just can't be bothered to sit at the pc (no laptop, netbook, pad, or smartphone here) constantly checking sites (especially gamefaqs, that place is just a total mess) to see when it's going to be killed. I'd rather be broke, which my character is, than waste realtime worrying about when to go whack it a few times.

I did read that if you kill the smaller dragons ingame you get dragonforged, but I think that's false. Killed a bunch of them and didn't get anything dragonforged.

Also saw just now when I was looking for the seller in Estrangement (went into Lament instead) that I got a whopping hunk of ambrosial meat, a few hundred coins, and a potion for adding damage to Ur when I was in there the one time. Lame....[/QUOTE]

I just got a mask dragonforged fighting a drake in the everfall, so I can confirm that it's possible.

I swear this game is taunting me with gear drops, this is the third damn pair of Heaven's Key daggers in a row, and the second Lambent Shield, and I don't need either.

[quote name='praxus07']I'm passing on the whole Ur dragon thing (still really know nothing about it since there's no mention of it in the game). I just can't be bothered to sit at the pc (no laptop, netbook, pad, or smartphone here) constantly checking sites (especially gamefaqs, that place is just a total mess) to see when it's going to be killed. I'd rather be broke, which my character is, than waste realtime worrying about when to go whack it a few times.[/quote]
I'm not suggesting you dedicate your life to it - I kept a tab open and would refresh when I came across it, and would just boot up the game for 5 minutes when I saw it was time.

For anyone other than the story dragon or the Ur-dragon, there's only a chance of getting dragonforged. The chances are higher the more you've upgraded your items.

[quote name='pete5883']I'm not suggesting you dedicate your life to it - I kept a tab open and would refresh when I came across it, and would just boot up the game for 5 minutes when I saw it was time.

For anyone other than the story dragon or the Ur-dragon, there's only a chance of getting dragonforged. The chances are higher the more you've upgraded your items.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh. That explains the dragon forged hunter bow I have. I got it fighting the drake in the woods.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Anyone that's played both this and KoA..thoughts on which one is better? Both look kickass but my gaming time is too limited to play both anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I beat KoA and really enjoyed it. Until DD cam eout, it had the best combat system of any action RPG I have played. I am now post dragon in DD and I can say confidently that it is a lot better than KoA. KoA hits a point where the difficulty gets to easy. I playe don easy and there were only a few times when I felt like there was danger. It was still fun, but there was less incentive to look for that next set of armor on the next best weapon.

DD keeps you on you toes pretty much the whole time. There are less item drops, but the drops are more significant. You will usually upgrade once you find the next weapon. There are some trash weapons to sell, but there is a better sense of progression than KoA. The pawn system in DD is the main feature that pushes it past KoA. Having a constant companion and the ability to switch out two others is a big plus.

Both games allow you to switch your class at will. Storywise, I think KoA is better. The fiction and writing are just better.

Post game, KoA allows you to finish any quests you have and take on new ones. DD really shakes things up, but I won't spoil it.

Go with DD.

So I did take your advice Pete5883, I googled "ur dragon gamefaqs" and saw when they said it was in grace period, got in and managed to get some good gear, along with a nice looking (looks good on, but crappy stats though) set of gear dragonforged. What I looted were the two "warrior" weapons, the mage staff, and the Ascelon, Saint George's mask, and the set of Abyssal gear, along with twenty or so revival stones.

What I don't quite get is if you do damage to Ur but don't get in on the grace period do you get any good loot, and does your armor get dragonforged when you enter after it's dead? Or do you Have to be there for the grace period to get anything?

Really wish I could find a set of gear for magic archer that looked snazzy and matched yet had good magic stats too.

[quote name='praxus07']What I don't quite get is if you do damage to Ur but don't get in on the grace period do you get any good loot, and does your armor get dragonforged when you enter after it's dead? Or do you Have to be there for the grace period to get anything?
[/QUOTE]
If you aren't there for the grace period you do get loot, but that loot depends either on how much damage you did to it, or how many rounds you survived against it (I'm not sure which.) Not sure about dragonforging, I think the answer is no though.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I beat KoA and really enjoyed it. Until DD cam eout, it had the best combat system of any action RPG I have played. I am now post dragon in DD and I can say confidently that it is a lot better than KoA. KoA hits a point where the difficulty gets to easy. I playe don easy and there were only a few times when I felt like there was danger. It was still fun, but there was less incentive to look for that next set of armor on the next best weapon.

DD keeps you on you toes pretty much the whole time. There are less item drops, but the drops are more significant. You will usually upgrade once you find the next weapon. There are some trash weapons to sell, but there is a better sense of progression than KoA. The pawn system in DD is the main feature that pushes it past KoA. Having a constant companion and the ability to switch out two others is a big plus.

Both games allow you to switch your class at will. Storywise, I think KoA is better. The fiction and writing are just better.

Post game, KoA allows you to finish any quests you have and take on new ones. DD really shakes things up, but I won't spoil it.

Go with DD.[/QUOTE]

Awesome recommendation. It further solidifies that both games are worth playing. I will be picking up DD soon based off of that comparison.

I'm looking to sell my copy of this game, barely played and RE6 code still valid. PM me with your best offer!

This game is like Demon's Souls meets Oblivion and had a non-retarded child called Shadows of the Colossus. The one beef I have with this game so far is the hit or miss clunky combat. I'm not a fan of being locked into moves or having to 'power up' abilities because in a fast paced game like this, they're almost totally worthless. Now, if they gave a class, such as warrior, more than 3 fucking slots to allocate moves to then I wouldn't mind as much but the fact is I'm almost exclusively using the default attacks 99% of the time.

This is bad design in terms of character progression because no matter how much I level up or learn new moves, I'm not using many of them. The taunt doesn't seem to work or perhaps it has such a small radius it is really worthless and everything else requires that my enemy be a complete retard for 5 seconds while I do flashy things before finally attacking. I don't understand how an advanced class can be so stupidly broken when fighter actually has more utility and is more mobile. Maybe I'm not understanding what the class is supposed to excel at because I feel like I'm not holding aggro and I'm constantly having to chase everything that gets knocked 50 miles away or dies instantly to the sorcs in my party.

Lol, am I simply there to watch my pawns destroy everything because I don't feel in control of the game at all. The few times I do feel like the game is extremely rewarding is crushing cyclops or chimeras in the wilderness since I can grapple them to knock off their helmet or work on cutting the tail off. They can still be very deadly though, so the constant risk of death is a great rush.

At any rate, I still love the game to death since it's the same very dark, hardcore fantasy I've come to love from the DS series. Always a good sign when I don't want to stop playing. ;)

Got tired of playing really fast. Just seemed extremely repetitive after a while, and at level 71 I could pretty much kill anything without much effort or fear of getting killed. My 3 pawns and I were wiping rooms in the rift over and over and over grinding for rare gear and I can't even remember the last time I died. So finally got my NG+ save (just in case I ever get it again, I mean it wasn't a terrible game, but just got tired of it real fast) and traded Dogma & Demons Souls in for ME3 and SR3. Enjoying those two games quite a bit more than I ever did Dogma or DS.

I think I would have enjoyed Dogma a bit more if instead of Pawns we could have interacted/teamed up with their owners. So many new friends added to my PS3's friend list because of Dogma and only ever got to interact with their pawns, when slaying a dragon or griffin would have been more fun using actual real live players instead of their pawns.

[quote name='Jodou']This game is like Demon's Souls meets Oblivion and had a non-retarded child called Shadows of the Colossus. The one beef I have with this game so far is the hit or miss clunky combat. I'm not a fan of being locked into moves or having to 'power up' abilities because in a fast paced game like this, they're almost totally worthless. Now, if they gave a class, such as warrior, more than 3 fucking slots to allocate moves to then I wouldn't mind as much but the fact is I'm almost exclusively using the default attacks 99% of the time.

This is bad design in terms of character progression because no matter how much I level up or learn new moves, I'm not using many of them. The taunt doesn't seem to work or perhaps it has such a small radius it is really worthless and everything else requires that my enemy be a complete retard for 5 seconds while I do flashy things before finally attacking. I don't understand how an advanced class can be so stupidly broken when fighter actually has more utility and is more mobile. Maybe I'm not understanding what the class is supposed to excel at because I feel like I'm not holding aggro and I'm constantly having to chase everything that gets knocked 50 miles away or dies instantly to the sorcs in my party.

Lol, am I simply there to watch my pawns destroy everything because I don't feel in control of the game at all. The few times I do feel like the game is extremely rewarding is crushing cyclops or chimeras in the wilderness since I can grapple them to knock off their helmet or work on cutting the tail off. They can still be very deadly though, so the constant risk of death is a great rush.

At any rate, I still love the game to death since it's the same very dark, hardcore fantasy I've come to love from the DS series. Always a good sign when I don't want to stop playing. ;)[/QUOTE]
Can't you hold a shoulder button to do another 3 or 4 moves?

[quote name='praxus07']Got tired of playing really fast. Just seemed extremely repetitive after a while, and at level 71 I could pretty much kill anything without much effort or fear of getting killed. My 3 pawns and I were wiping rooms in the rift over and over and over grinding for rare gear and I can't even remember the last time I died. So finally got my NG+ save (just in case I ever get it again, I mean it wasn't a terrible game, but just got tired of it real fast) and traded Dogma & Demons Souls in for ME3 and SR3. Enjoying those two games quite a bit more than I ever did Dogma or DS.

I think I would have enjoyed Dogma a bit more if instead of Pawns we could have interacted/teamed up with their owners. So many new friends added to my PS3's friend list because of Dogma and only ever got to interact with their pawns, when slaying a dragon or griffin would have been more fun using actual real live players instead of their pawns.[/QUOTE]

Honestly not trying to be an ass at all, but you got to level 71 "really fast" or you got tired of it well before reaching that point and just unhappily grinded your way to level 71? Having not played the game at all, that makes it sound like either your perception of "really fast" and mine differ immensely or that the leveling system in Dogma is crazy accelerated.

[quote name='pete5883']Can't you hold a shoulder button to do another 3 or 4 moves?[/QUOTE]
You can't assign anything to L1 as a warrior since you don't train any secondary skills for a second weapon/shield. At least, I've found no way to do it so if there is a way then the UI has failed me horribly. When I hold L1 nothing shows up on the move list either, so there's no default stuff that I saw. It's kind of boring not having many skills but the damage is pretty high so I just use the evasive slash and a downward strike for when enemies are stunned/fallen. Otherwise it's square ad naseum. . .

Fought my first gryphon yesterday and had it 3/4th dead when it. . .ran away. So dumb since it bucked me off in the air and I couldn't seem to clip its wings no matter how much I attacked there (not sure if it's even possible). Really wanted to kill it for the meat it drops and hopefully a feather to upgrade a piece of armor to 3-star. :\

[quote name='handsomepete']Honestly not trying to be an ass at all, but you got to level 71 "really fast" or you got tired of it well before reaching that point and just unhappily grinded your way to level 71? Having not played the game at all, that makes it sound like either your perception of "really fast" and mine differ immensely or that the leveling system in Dogma is crazy accelerated.[/QUOTE]

Leveling does happen pretty fast, and I also got tired of playing it pretty fast. I had the game for about a month, in that time I played a decent amount of time, but was also playing Skyrim at the same time, and there were several chunks of days, 3 or 4 at a time, that I didn't play at all. It's actually a pretty short game compared to Skyrim and the like, and new game plus is just the exact same game you just finished only you get to keep your level and gear. To me that's kinda boring as well, repeating everything I just completed.

I got probably from 60 to 71 in just a couple of days just on grinding rooms looking for rare gear in chests, because by that point I could only complete the final part of the game because all the quests/mission were done and there was nothing else to do, or start over on NG+. There are also single use items you loot that can really up the amount of xp you get from killing stuff. I used one of those on Ur Dragon and went up several levels when he died. And I only played it twice in the last two weeks, so for me to finish a game in that amount of time was a disappointment.

Eh, it feels well-paced to me and leveling is just about right without using any items. Doesn't feel like a grind at all since all the content is so fucking good. I mean, they put a LOT of love into this game and it totally shows. You can go beyond the boundaries of some quests, like forging documents for double the reward or decide whether or not to intervene on others. It's a well-forged ARPG and is quickly becoming my second favorite on PS3, right behind Demon's Souls it's so good.

It's really hard to detail every little thing they thought of or how well the world/dungeons are designed but somebody at Capcom deserves an award. There's some really brilliant design in the pawn system and how interesting the vocation system is (thanks to FFV no doubt) being able to bring some augments from other classes with you. The game is unforgiving if you venture out at night and it's really exhilarating when you down a new huge monster for the first time. I could go on and on, but people should really check it out if they liked either DS games because they won't be disappointed.

And lastly, I was pretty hard on the combat but I found once I threw away some skills for other ones, it got more interesting. I also didn't know that you can combo the evasive slash by spamming it for a pretty powerful stun to knockdown one, two punch. Lol, it makes killing just about anything a cake-walk before stamina runs low.

See I think this game is really nothing like Demons Souls. I HATED that game, I found no enjoyment in that at all, where I thought this game was too easy once you got to level 20 and over. It's semi open world but it's also on rails since every open area leads you to somewhere else that's not very open at all. Dungeons were decent, but the entire area was so small that weren't all that many dungeons to explore.

There's really no story, or what story there is doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me it didn't. To even get the "correct" ending I had to look it up on the net as there was no ingame indication as to what the right steps were.

We're just going to have to disagree on what we each though of the game. To me it was a lot of Meh.....

So Everfall just opened up on my 1st playthrough. I've done 50+ board quests already, so would just finishing and starting NG+ be fine (as in i can blow through the story and forget about the escort/kill x monster quests)? Or does it take a while to get to an open Everfall again in NG+, so I might as well grind in the rooms a bit?

Yeah, so I dumped warrior after trying to make it work for 40 levels and went ranger. Wow. . .they really needed to give warrior a crossbow or something because I can't see playing this without the utility of some ranged abilities anymore. Some quests have you killing birds (NOT fun as melee) and there's one in particular that is straight up impossible if you're not ranged because your idiot AI pawns keep screaming about what you need to do and then. . .sit there like dumbfucks when they're the only one who can hit it.

Other than that, ranger just has soooooooooooo much utility it's a crime they made warrior so awful. The good thing is that all that time wasn't a complete waste because they get some very nice augments that I'm still using. Point being, if you play this game don't lock yourself into one class because it can be a breath of fresh air leveling a new vocation. Definitely check out ranger because it's a) badass and b) gets an augment called illumination very early which increases your lantern range.

Finally finished all the sidequests and beat the game. The final fight was pretty damn epic and has solidified my GOTY vote for DD. And I feel like the game has only just begun after however many hours I've already sunk into this lol. Went back to Gran Soren to check out the post-game stuffs and was already limping in thanks to the non-stop action of deadly beasts unleashed. Feels good to have a challenge again!

Now I just wish there was more to explore seeing as I've been everywhere. Do you only get one portcrystal per playthrough? It's a brilliant idea considering I hated how in Elder Scroll games you could just fast travel everywhere, but having to choose carefully where you'd like to warp to is a fair compromise. I just wish I had a few more for far off places.[quote name='humidore']So Everfall just opened up on my 1st playthrough. I've done 50+ board quests already, so would just finishing and starting NG+ be fine (as in i can blow through the story and forget about the escort/kill x monster quests)? Or does it take a while to get to an open Everfall again in NG+, so I might as well grind in the rooms a bit?[/QUOTE]
AFAIK you can just blow through the game and ignore all the board quests. I'm not sure if I want to farm Everfall or just hit NG+ either.

[quote name='Jodou']Finally finished all the sidequests and beat the game. The final fight was pretty damn epic and has solidified my GOTY vote for DD. And I feel like the game has only just begun after however many hours I've already sunk into this lol. Went back to Gran Soren to check out the post-game stuffs and was already limping in thanks to the non-stop action of deadly beasts unleashed. Feels good to have a challenge again!

Now I just wish there was more to explore seeing as I've been everywhere. Do you only get one portcrystal per playthrough? It's a brilliant idea considering I hated how in Elder Scroll games you could just fast travel everywhere, but having to choose carefully where you'd like to warp to is a fair compromise. I just wish I had a few more for far off places.
AFAIK you can just blow through the game and ignore all the board quests. I'm not sure if I want to farm Everfall or just hit NG+ either.[/QUOTE]

NG+ has portcrystals for sale, and that's one reason I kinda wanna move on to that. But I agree, having the new tougher monsters is welcome in the last part of the game. I will probably move on to the ending so I can get the thing over with, but the journey's been awesome in this game. And I only played 2 classes!

bread's done
Back