Dreamcast Collection Xbox360 $11.98 Amazon

[quote name='lutz']the Space Channel 5 that actually was released on the dreamcast[/QUOTE]
Space Channel 5 Part 1 is unlikely to see a release on current-gen systems unless it gets completely remade from the ground up. FMV just does not scale up in a nice way-- witness how incredibly crappy the short FMVs in Part 2 look on an HDTV, then try to imagine an entire game's worth. It would be unplayable.

Bah!
I am glad I still have my DC discs so I can't get tempted by this deal. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This collection is garbage, not even worth $5. When you see other collections like the capcom classics collections volumes 1 & 2 (each with tons of great classic arcade games), it makes this lame paltry assortment look even worse. Worthless assortment of games and cerntainly not worth more than a few bucks at most.

[quote name='bajingo']kittys got claws, meOW.

maybe its good that the price jumped before i could buy. i just want some new.

Bad Kitty bad lol. But seriously, there are lots of great low budget games out there for 20 or less.especially at kmart.much better then this

It's back in stock at $12.88. Missed it yesterday, had to grab it today just cause I'm way too much of a DC fanboy...

I even still have my DC hooked up so there's no way I NEED this but... shrug.

[quote name='ibelongtohalo']Can anyone tell me if each game has their own set of achievements?[/QUOTE]

This????

I actually just started this last night from Gamefly as I missed out on DreamCast entirely. For a dated driving game Crazy Taxi is still a lot of fun and as I've never played it I don't really miss anything about the soundtrack. That being said, I was quick to mute the one they replaced it with.

The gameplay still holds up in my opinion even without any nostalgia and the open-world street driving with drifts and combos is similar to Outrun. Too bad I can't figure out how to do the darn drifts. It's just so bizarre to me to constantly switch between forward and reverse to drift/boost. I pretty much just drive and forget about the extra moves.

One agitating thing about this (and I believe all arcade compilations) is that you can't play it from your hard drive. The disc will install and eat up hard drive space but it will still run everything from the disc. Coming from someone who can't stand the noise and heat of uninstalled games it's a big issue.

[quote name='chimpmeister']This collection is garbage, not even worth $5. When you see other collections like the capcom classics collections volumes 1 & 2 (each with tons of great classic arcade games), it makes this lame paltry assortment look even worse. Worthless assortment of games and cerntainly not worth more than a few bucks at most.[/QUOTE]

it seems like they priced this at $30 because some of these games are XBLA games, which makes it easy to compare those prices and think you're getting a good deal on price comparison. i just want Space Channel 5 Part 2 already, when the hell is that going on XBLA?

[quote name='Maledar']Yes, they are all arcade games.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Maledar. Much appreciated. I ordered one so it didn't affect whether I was getting it or not. Just curious. On another note, I don't care much for how you have to access the games thru your game library instead of from the disc itself. At least that has been my experience with other compilation discs(popcaps).

[quote name='strait edge follower']All sega has to do is ask scamcom for the right to put the game on the collection.do you really think scamcom will say no to getting extra money ? And even though yakuza doesnt sell that great they still make them anyway so Why Not use those assets to make shenmue 3 ? I think it would greatly outsell yakuza and everyone who played the other 2 shenmue games will keep on selling people Omg back in the day this series was amazing ! Curiosity will skyrocket and BOOM ! Big advertising right there.heavy rain did great so Why Not this game ?[/QUOTE]
Using someone else's property does not work that way. It's not something simple like asking a friend to borrow a game. We're talking about works that are tied with all sorts of legal strings, including splitting costs between companies and so on.

And have you seen the number of games Capcom's declined releasing, despite the amount of fans begging for them?

As for Yakuza and Shenmue, please re-read what I said. Yakuza does well in Japan and is doing better in the west (it was doing horrible prior to Yakuza 3, but when fans realized Yakuza 4's release would be based on how well Y3 sold, they went and made sure it did well enough for Sega to localize Y4). Shenmue, however, did not do well in either region. The costs to make the Shenmue series exceeded the amount they made back in sales. The Yakuza series isn't as costly and has turned a profit to warrant four main games and a couple of spin-offs.

[quote name='Tsukento']Using someone else's property does not work that way. It's not something simple like asking a friend to borrow a game. We're talking about works that are tied with all sorts of legal strings, including splitting costs between companies and so on.

And have you seen the number of games Capcom's declined releasing, despite the amount of fans begging for them?

As for Yakuza and Shenmue, please re-read what I said. Yakuza does well in Japan and is doing better in the west (it was doing horrible prior to Yakuza 3, but when fans realized Yakuza 4's release would be based on how well Y3 sold, they went and made sure it did well enough for Sega to localize Y4). Shenmue, however, did not do well in either region. The costs to make the Shenmue series exceeded the amount they made back in sales. The Yakuza series isn't as costly and has turned a profit to warrant four main games and a couple of spin-offs.[/QUOTE]

But the fact that they have the yakuza engine they can use to make shenmue should already save alot of money.i honestly think they have been exaterating about the cost it would take to make shenmue 3.and scamcom dont listen to their fans for the most part.but if sega requested powerstone for the collection im sure a deal would have been worked out quicker then you can say haduken

Problem is that Yakuza and Shenmue are not the same thing. They're not even from the same development groups within Sega. Shenmue is Yu Suzuki's work, which is the AM2 side of things. Yakuza was made by what was formerly the AM4/Amusement Vision group of Sega (now known as Team CS1).

And there's no way Sega could request Power Stone. It's one thing to use the rights for cars (for their racing games) or actual music (which is why Crazy Taxi doesn't have the original music in it), but it's a completely other thing to use complete video games owned by another company. Considering how protective Capcom is of its properties, it's not possible.

[quote name='Tsukento']Problem is that Yakuza and Shenmue are not the same thing. They're not even from the same development groups within Sega. Shenmue is Yu Suzuki's work, which is the AM2 side of things. Yakuza was made by what was formerly the AM4/Amusement Vision group of Sega (now known as Team CS1).

And there's no way Sega could request Power Stone. It's one thing to use the rights for cars (for their racing games) or actual music (which is why Crazy Taxi doesn't have the original music in it), but it's a completely other thing to use complete video games owned by another company. Considering how protective Capcom is of its properties, it's not possible.[/QUOTE]

Show capcom the money,they will come. they did put powerstone on the psp (both of them at that).and you have to admit despite shenmue and yakuza being made by differint people they do have simmilarities to one another.what is yu Suzuki up to anyway ?

yeah remember when people thought marvel vs capcom would live only on the dreamcast and ps2. capcom AND marvel licences, i cant imagine the licensing nightmare. stranger things have happened.

well, ive never even HEARD of powerstone before this thread. it must be pure nostalgia the youtube videos dont look amazing, but i wont hate since a lot of people here seem to be all about it, i get it those were the days. i def. was not expecting a fighting game... never played shenume either! i totally missed out on everything dreamcast, that was freshman year of high school so i was getting high more than usual and ps1 was enough for me! i just remember seeing commercials for panzer dragon and being pretty blown away.

PRICE UP TO $15 by the way

[quote name='bajingo']yeah remember when people thought marvel vs capcom would live only on the dreamcast and ps2. capcom AND marvel licences, i cant imagine the licensing nightmare. stranger things have happened.

well, ive never even HEARD of powerstone before this thread. it must be pure nostalgia the youtube videos dont look amazing, but i wont hate since a lot of people here seem to be all about it, i get it those were the days. i def. was not expecting a fighting game... never played shenume either! i totally missed out on everything dreamcast, that was freshman year of high school so i was getting high more than usual and ps1 was enough for me! i just remember seeing commercials for panzer dragon and being pretty blown away.

PRICE UP TO $15 by the way[/QUOTE]

You could pick up Shenmue 2 and play it on the X360. You should be able to pick up a used copy from Gohastings for around $10 shipped. Promo Atari ends today which gives you 30% off. Nevermind the price jumped and they're OOS. I hope my copy doesn't get canceled.

I can't count how many hours I spend on Powerstone 1 & 2, the best way I can describe it would be a SSB, Over the top, top view fighting game. I think the best part of the game was trying to collect items and making new weapons.

[quote name='skiizim']I can't count how many hours I spend on Powerstone 1 & 2, the best way I can describe it would be a SSB, Over the top, top view fighting game. I think the best part of the game was trying to collect items and making new weapons.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think super smash brothers should have had the type of stages that powertel stone had,so much chaos on screen with powerstone iand i loved it

[quote name='strait edge follower']Show capcom the money,they will come. they did put powerstone on the psp (both of them at that).[/quote]
And that likely discouraged them from putting out anymore of their big name franchises, save for Monster Hunter, on the PSP, as they initially did not do well when the PSP first started. Hell, even the two Mega Man games they released on the PSP sold poorly, which contributed to the nixing of plans for a MM2 remake on it.

[quote name='strait edge follower']and you have to admit despite shenmue and yakuza being made by differint people they do have simmilarities to one another.what is yu Suzuki up to anyway ?[/QUOTE]
While the two do have their similarities, they're still wildly different games. Shenmue tells its story through its open worlds and experiences, while Yakuza tells its own through the actions that take place. To put it better, one's like watching a movie about a man going on a journey to seek revenge while the other is like watching a straight up action flick.

As for Yu Suzuki, he's working on a mobile network involving Shenmue. He says he wants to make Shenmue III and believes Sega would let him make it. The only thing stopping them is putting together just how much it'd cost.

[quote name='PimpBot2000']crazy taxi isn't crazy taxi without ya ya ya ya yaaaaa![/QUOTE]

what do you mean? there was no music in it?

Saying Shenmue III costs are the reason why it's not happening is a lousy excuse. Sega owes the yakuza engine and resources. They can make a reasonable Shenmue game with an extremely low budget. Doesn't matter if they were made by different departments, hell have Yu Suzuki work with the Yakuza team. Yes the games are a bit different, but there's no reason why Shenmue 3 can't be a Yakuza game with a few classic Shenmue elements tacked on (open world may be a bit lacking, but better then no Shenmue 3).

[quote name='Jonsoncao']what do you mean? there was no music in it?[/QUOTE]

Sega chose not to get the license for the songs that were in the game back when it was originally out. To my understanding it still has music but not the same bands or even the same songs. Also removed from the game was all the licensed restaurants and stores like pizza hut, etc.

[quote name='lutz']Saying Shenmue III costs are the reason why it's not happening is a lousy excuse. Sega owes the yakuza engine and resources. They can make a reasonable Shenmue game with an extremely low budget. Doesn't matter if they were made by different departments, hell have Yu Suzuki work with the Yakuza team. Yes the games are a bit different, but there's no reason why Shenmue 3 can't be a Yakuza game with a few classic Shenmue elements tacked on (open world may be a bit lacking, but better then no Shenmue 3).[/QUOTE]

YESSSSSS ! Someone who understands my thinking

I bought this when it first game out and have mixed feelings.

For one, it's a terrible selection of Dreamcast games. Sonic Adventures still seems pretty good, and this is the only way currently to buy it. Between that and it being Sonic, it's not weird to include that, but the other three games didn't amount to much 10 years ago. The Dreamcast had much, much better than these represent, so that's disappointing.

Also bad, this is one of those weird rare games that seems to run off the disc even if you install it, so the Xbox is LOUD when playing them.

I'd like that fixed...and a better collection. But $12 for Sonic Adventures? That's certainly not the worst deal ever.

[quote name='lutz']Saying Shenmue III costs are the reason why it's not happening is a lousy excuse. Sega owes the yakuza engine and resources. They can make a reasonable Shenmue game with an extremely low budget. Doesn't matter if they were made by different departments, hell have Yu Suzuki work with the Yakuza team. Yes the games are a bit different, but there's no reason why Shenmue 3 can't be a Yakuza game with a few classic Shenmue elements tacked on (open world may be a bit lacking, but better then no Shenmue 3).[/QUOTE]
Problem is that a change like that can either make or break a game. Remember that people tend to go crazy over change, whether it's good or bad. I'm pretty sure Yu Suzuki wants to do the game the way he pictures it and not any other way. To use the Yakuza engine would pretty much go against how he's pretty much envisioned the Shenmue games to play out. That's why costs have been so high for the development of the games - every little detail within the games are planned out and even modeled in real life (those random NPCs you encountered walking on the streets all had their own sculptures made by the team to properly render them in game).

[quote name='ibelongtohalo']Sega chose not to get the license for the songs that were in the game back when it was originally out. To my understanding it still has music but not the same bands or even the same songs. Also removed from the game was all the licensed restaurants and stores like pizza hut, etc.[/QUOTE]
Not so much that they chose to, it's more that the licenses expired and it's rather costly to pay to use the rights of several different companies at once. Music rights are even worse to deal with as time goes on. That and Tower Records went out of business long ago.

Though this isn't anything new. The PSP port didn't have any of that.

[quote name='Tsukento']Problem is that a change like that can either make or break a game. Remember that people tend to go crazy over change, whether it's good or bad. I'm pretty sure Yu Suzuki wants to do the game the way he pictures it and not any other way. To use the Yakuza engine would pretty much go against how he's pretty much envisioned the Shenmue games to play out. That's why costs have been so high for the development of the games - every little detail within the games are planned out and even modeled in real life (those random NPCs you encountered walking on the streets all had their own sculptures made by the team to properly render them in game).[/QUOTE]

What kind of halfass devil's advocate are you playing? It's a fact that Shenmue fans want a continuation of any kind period. Also Yu Suzuki feels the same way, that's why he's making some low budget mobile game in the Shenmue universe. Development costs have already been addressed, they already have the models done from Y4. The main problem is the Sega higher ups and their lack of vision. Bottomline is, they don't want to invest anything on Shenmue because of the loss of money in the past (and the mobile game probably just slip by their radar).

Yu Suzuki said at GDC that he was sure Sega would let him make Shenmue III. It's all a matter of the budget, since the first game cost $47 million. Lack of vision has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of the fact that the games were expensive to make and market and that they didn't sell enough to make back said money.

Again, Yakuza and Shenmue are two different series. Yes, they have similarities, but they're still wildly different. Shenmue is not Yakuza. They both tell their stories in wildly different ways.

I don't know, I've played Shenmue 1, the start of 2 (didn't like it), and Yakuza 3, and Shenmue 1 and Yakuza 3 seem SUPER similar. Even if it isn't at all, though I assume it is, it completely feels like a game in the same genre of sorts by the same team.

[quote name='lutz']What kind of halfass devil's advocate are you playing? It's a fact that Shenmue fans want a continuation of any kind period. Also Yu Suzuki feels the same way, that's why he's making some low budget mobile game in the Shenmue universe. Development costs have already been addressed, they already have the models done from Y4. The main problem is the Sega higher ups and their lack of vision. Bottomline is, they don't want to invest anything on Shenmue because of the loss of money in the past (and the mobile game probably just slip by their radar).[/QUOTE]

Agreed, even with some changes people will buy it. Heck, some changes could bring in a largar audience and bring more money. If heavy rain ( great game btw) can sell over 1.5 million plus on one platform then shenmue could sell. They need this game. I cant think of one sega game ive enjoyed since vurtura fighter 5. I dont count bayonetta and vanquish since those were just published by sega. Sonic isnt going to cut it. I want the great sega back and this game could do it

[quote name='strait edge follower']Agreed, even with some changes people will buy it. Heck, some changes could bring in a largar audience and bring more money.[/QUOTE]
Tell that to the people who bought Phantasy Star Universe, thinking it was going to be similar to Phantasy Star Online, only to end up with a completely different game. Most people who bought PSU after playing PSO agreed that the changes weren't very good.

Change CAN hurt a series. Keep in mind, I'm being realistic about this. Do I want Shenmue III? Hell yes. Is there going to be a chance it'll come out and get widely supported? Not a chance. The only ones who would ever buy Shenmue III are just the Shenmue fans. And like with most fanbases for series' that don't get a lot of attention, they're a lot smaller in numbers than they like to believe they are.

Weirdly, I think it dosen't? I have no idea what the "DX" thing is supposed to do though...I thought Sonic Adventures played better on the Dreamcast than the Gamecube version, and this seems to work correctly too (there were places even in the first level in the Gamecube one where the physics didn't work right, made me stop dead in my tracks and fall off a ramp).

[quote name='Tsukento']Tell that to the people who bought Phantasy Star Universe, thinking it was going to be similar to Phantasy Star Online, only to end up with a completely different game. Most people who bought PSU after playing PSO agreed that the changes weren't very good.

Change CAN hurt a series. Keep in mind, I'm being realistic about this. Do I want Shenmue III? Hell yes. Is there going to be a chance it'll come out and get widely supported? Not a chance. The only ones who would ever buy Shenmue III are just the Shenmue fans. And like with most fanbases for series' that don't get a lot of attention, they're a lot smaller in numbers than they like to believe they are.[/QUOTE]

Your PSO to universe argument is flawed. Fans complain about the conversion or changes from the classic 4 rpgs, yet Phantasy Star still lives as a valuable and current series. I guess change was good after all?

The one thing I'll agree with you though, Shenmue fanbase is probably too small for Sega to care for. But this is a chicken and the egg problem. Can't have fans if there's no game, can't have a game unless there are fans that want it. This is also why a lower budget using Yakuza resources would make business sense.

There's a WAY bigger difference between Phantasy Star and those Phantasy Star Online games than there is between Shenmue and Yakuza IMO. Yakuza even seems like it could be a sidestory for Shenmue.

Glassagate, from what I've heard, the xbox collection has just the original and not DX. Also, there may be a bug that doesn't allow the DLC to DX upgrade from xbox live, but I can't confirm any of this.

[quote name='GlassAgate']Does Sonic Adventure include the $5 DLC?[/QUOTE]
Nope. It's just the barebones game that was on the Dreamcast. The DLC isn't included.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I bought this when it first game out and have mixed feelings.

For one, it's a terrible selection of Dreamcast games. Sonic Adventures still seems pretty good, and this is the only way currently to buy it. Between that and it being Sonic, it's not weird to include that, but the other three games didn't amount to much 10 years ago. The Dreamcast had much, much better than these represent, so that's disappointing.

Also bad, this is one of those weird rare games that seems to run off the disc even if you install it, so the Xbox is LOUD when playing them.

I'd like that fixed...and a better collection. But $12 for Sonic Adventures? That's certainly not the worst deal ever.[/QUOTE]

They are arcade games. Even if you install them, their licenses are on the disc saying these are full games, not trials. If it didn't read the disc, they will be reverted back to trial games.

[quote name='GlassAgate']Does Sonic Adventure include the $5 DLC?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wolfpup']Weirdly, I think it dosen't? I have no idea what the "DX" thing is supposed to do though...I thought Sonic Adventures played better on the Dreamcast than the Gamecube version, and this seems to work correctly too (there were places even in the first level in the Gamecube one where the physics didn't work right, made me stop dead in my tracks and fall off a ramp).[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. It's a bad port anyway. Got this game last friday from this deal and found that Sonic's loading times are horrible. Every menu, not just level, takes long time to load. I don't recall it was like that on the DC. The game is still in 4:3 format unlike Crazy Taxi and Space Channel 5 Part 2 (the reason I bought this) which are outfitted with real 16:9, not stretched... and their loading is on par with the DC's original versions. Sega just couldn't do anything right with Sonic anymore, not even a port of a once good game.

Are the horrible load times for Sonic isolated to this collection, or are they present in the XBLA version as well. I've been tempted by the game a few times when it was on sale for $5, and if I'm better off with that version, that's where I will go. I have pretty much zero interest in Space Channel and stripped down Crazy Taxi. Would probably play around with fishing once or twice and then never again too.

[quote name='SoulProphet']They are arcade games. Even if you install them, their licenses are on the disc saying these are full games, not trials. If it didn't read the disc, they will be reverted back to trial games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mrosnwo']Are the horrible load times for Sonic isolated to this collection, or are they present in the XBLA version as well.[/quote]

I didn't notice any unusual load times. Though maybe even though it's spinning the disc, it actually is loading from my hard drive since I installed it?

I have pretty much zero interest in Space Channel and stripped down Crazy Taxi. Would probably play around with fishing once or twice and then never again too.

I thought they were pretty lame back in 2000...haven't aged well at all.

Sonic Adventures, I don't know how I'd be playing the full game, since I knew it was somewhat janky even back in 1999, but the first main level is still pretty good, almost great. Though I remember it got harder and more *almost* broken later on, though not to the point where I coudln't finish it, like the later Sonic 3D games.

Don't want to oversell it, but I kind of like having a copy around (possibly for nostalgic purposes, but I may conceivably try to play through it again at some point). Only game worth anything on the collection though IMO.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Doesn't matter. It's a bad port anyway. Got this game last friday from this deal and found that Sonic's loading times are horrible. Every menu, not just level, takes long time to load. I don't recall it was like that on the DC. The game is still in 4:3 format unlike Crazy Taxi and Space Channel 5 Part 2 (the reason I bought this) which are outfitted with real 16:9, not stretched... and their loading is on par with the DC's original versions. Sega just couldn't do anything right with Sonic anymore, not even a port of a once good game.[/QUOTE]

They obviously got lazy with this port, Cough cough bayonetta.

[quote name='strait edge follower']They obviously got lazy with this port, Cough cough bayonetta.[/QUOTE]

Bayonetta is a different story where Sega ported another studio's game. Sonic is THEIR game.

bread's done
Back