ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

Like chakan, I got my BBB response today.

ECA response to the BBB:

The Membership Terms & Conditions sets out what a member must do to cancel their membership. Additionally, a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on its site sets the simple process as well.
The organization informs a member once a cancellation request has been processed.

My response:

I selected "I do not accept" because the ECA does not point out that the Membership Terms & Conditions has changed, nor have they apologized. Their response makes it sound like I (and others) should have read the Terms of Service/Terms & Conditions (TOS) beforehand. However, the TOS was changed repeatedly without notifying members. Other sites, when they change their TOS, send out a notification and will not let you continue before agreeing to the changes. The ECA never sent out notification. The TOS did, for example, allow phone cancellations, but this was removed without proper notice. A cancel auto-renew button was also on the site for months (and functional), yet it was suddenly removed, again without warning. Those who had clicked on it (like myself) were given a message that our membership would not be renewed, but the ECA suddenly claimed it was not functional. The ECA should have immediately sent out notification to all its members if it was truly a mistake, but instead this info was only posted on its forums, which has a separate membership from the site proper. While I have since had my membership canceled (through snail mail), if a person is able to sign up online, they should be able to cancel online. Also, any changes to Terms of Service should be sent in an e-mail, preferably highlighting and/or using layman's terms to any changes in the TOS. While I am no longer a member, anybody who wishes to join should make sure they do not have any hassles if they don't want to auto-renew or cancel their membership outright. Without proper notice, the ECA could keep changing methods to cancel and frustrate more members.

I was one of the last 10-20 to sign the list and I received my cancellation e-mail today. I can't log in so that's a relief.

No coincidence at all that their forums will open back up the day after they finished the massive CAG list. Many thanks to the originators of "the list that would not be ignored".

Always respond to BBB updates. One of the biggest reasons companies get away with stuff is because people do not respond and the BBB closes the case due to lack of response. This almost always defaults to the company being correct and doesn't help our case. If you already took the time to file a complaint see it through to the end.

[quote name='erik_wolff']I knew my memory was getting bad, but this is a bit much. I don't remember putting my name on that list.[/QUOTE]

It's a Christmas miracle!

They seem to have changed how members can renew online.
I'll let my picture do the talking, but one thing not clear is the * before "No Additional Term, Thanks"

It is possible that these boxes do not work as well. Wait maybe that's what the * means, lol.

ECA%20membership%20status.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone....

Just for clarification, I have NOT sent a letter / email, or signed up for any cancellation list through Google Docs or otherwise. In other words, I've just been an onlooker for this entire ECA problem, waiting to see what would happen. The only thing I did do was select the option to not renew my account when I first signed up (the button that was supposedly broken). After the post above, I decided to check my account and this is what it looks like.

You Currently have a
ECA Full Membership

You have been an active member since:
09/12/2009 08:01:42

Your payment history is:
Click here to view your order history

You used coupon code:
GIMAG

Your Membership term will expire:
09/12/2010 08:05:05

And will auto renew to:
N/A

Your auto-renewal feature is:

Off

Please select the additional term you'd like to add:
12 Month Full Membership - $19.99
6 Months Membership - $9.99
3 Months Membership - $4.99
*No Additional Term, Thanks
Auto Renew

I'll certainly keep an eye on this, but as far as I know, I am cancelled. I think I'll still select the option for "No Additional Term, Thanks" just to make sure.

EDIT: Hah, I knew it was too good to be true! I selected the "No additional term" box and ended up with this awesome error:
warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/crestgroup/theeca/wwwroot/sites/all/themes/theeca/page.tpl.php on line 181.
No rows found, nothing to print so am exiting

It DOES say that it saved the changes, but who honestly knows. My profile remained the same as the one I posted, except the Auto Renew checkbox is now missing and the "No additional term" checkbox is selected by default.

[quote name='neocisco']I was one of the last 10-20 to sign the list and I received my cancellation e-mail today. I can't log in so that's a relief.

No coincidence at all that their forums will open back up the day after they finished the massive CAG list. Many thanks to the originators of "the list that would not be ignored".[/QUOTE]

Yes, I waited to be on the end of the list, and likewise I think there is a reason that everything is suddenly opening up again once the CAG list is finished....

I'm also on the new forums right now ... seems they didn't just change the features, but also the layout. Before the close, most people seemed to post critique of the ECA in an area for Questions and Concerns. I don't see such an area, at all, on the new board (though I may just not be seeing it). So now, unless I'm simply missing it in my quick scans of the forum, there is no board for members, or anyone, to post up questions or criticisms of the ECA.

Well it looks like we helped ECA improve itself dramatically. Cancellation will be easier for existing members, and I've noticed that there is a lot more focus, on the forums, at least, on mission-based activity.

*EDIT

Never mind. I'm not gonna delete or alter my post, but its clear from sefjwm and kodave's posts that they are still embracing their old, dark ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just able to cancel online (hopefully). It took them quite some time, but it looks like they got online cancellations and the auto renewal thing all fixed.

Meh the new forums require captcha for each post and moderator review for each post. Making a new thread doesn't seem to work or they refuse to let mine through. It doesn't violate any rules but I still don't see it. Disabling auto renewal seems to be wonky. I had to do it first as an order option and then again on my profile page.

Hmm...ironically if they're back to being able to cancel online, I may renew :D

Seriously, you don't keep members by pissing them off.

Ahahahahahaahahahaha

I go to log in to the new forums and am greeted with this:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

And I'd like to note I wasn't banned before the forums went down.

Guess someone didn't like my posts/images here.

That's pretty funny kodave. I guess they haven't learned much, after all. I had a little hope for them.

BBB has updated the complaint section for ECA
BBB processed a total of 10 complaints about Entertainment Consumers Association in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 10 complaints closed in 36 months, 10 were closed in the last year.
These complaints concerned :
1 regarding Advertising Issues

1 - Bait & switch advertisement
3 regarding Billing or Collection Issues

2 - Improper collection practices
1 - Unauthorized credit card charges
2 regarding Contract Issues

2 - Unauthorized changes to the contract or agreement
3 regarding Customer Service Issues

2 - Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services
1 - Failure to respond to phone calls or written requests for assistance or support
1 regarding Delivery Issues

1 - Non-delivery of services

These complaints were closed as:
2 Administratively Closed

2 - BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.
8 Resolved

4 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer accepted.
3 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to BBB.
1 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB.
Please take the time to respond to the BBB when they email you ECA's response to your original complaint.

[quote name='chakan']That's pretty funny kodave. I guess they haven't learned much, after all. I had a little hope for them.

BBB has updated the complaint section for ECA

BBB processed a total of 10 complaints about Entertainment Consumers Association in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 10 complaints closed in 36 months, 10 were closed in the last year.

4 - Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement [/QUOTE]

Its kind of surprising only 10 people filed complaints with the BBB over this all considering a lot of people said they would.

What I find funny though is that some people worded their complaints well enough that the ECA caved in and gave them a partial refund, despite the fact that they specifically state its not their policy to ever do so.

So I guess there are some grounds for paying members to get some of their money back if they know how to play their cards right.

There are more than 10 complaints; only those 10 complaints have been "closed" by BBB. Further up the page, the BBB says, "The numerous complaints BBB recently received about Entertainment Consumers Association are currently pending, and thus not yet included in this report."

I just didn't want to paste the whole page.

[quote name='chakan']There are more than 10 complaints; only those 10 complaints have been "closed" by BBB. Further up the page, the BBB says, "The numerous complaints BBB recently received about Entertainment Consumers Association are currently pending, and thus not yet included in this report."

I just didn't want to paste the whole page.[/QUOTE]

Oh alright. Well, that's fun.

Jeez, the online cancellation process still isn't clear, as you have to figure out how to do the following:

1) Log in on the main page

2) Click on "Manage My Profile" on the left hand side

3) Click the "Edit Account" tab

4) Click the "Membership Status" sub-tab

5) Under "Please select the additional term you'd like to add:" select "*No Additional Term, Thanks" and click the Submit button

*A reminder notice will be provided 45 days prior to your membership term ending. Additionally, you can view your history details and status from your Member Profile page.

6) Scroll down past the image of sponsors and click the "Click here to continue" button

7) Under "Your auto-renewal preference is:" click the bubble next to "OFF - Please do not auto-renew my membership." and click the Submit button

8) Scroll down past the image of sponsors and click the "Click here to continue" button

9) Under "Would you like to cancel your membership now?" click the bubble next to "Please cancel my active membership in the ECA now. *

*Terminating your active membership in the association will remove the financial information on file, and will cancel all rights and services available to you as a member otherwise, but will not remove historical and contact information which ECA is required by law to preserve.

And click the "Submit" button

Maybe we could get that 9 step list added to the OP so people have a clear understanding of what they have to do to cancel online?

Also, I like how the notification for auto-renew is now within 45 days when before we were told its 30. I bet that wouldn't have happened if boring legal debates hadn't raged on here.

I filed a complaint with the BBB
and Its on the 3rd and final step.
I received a few different options and chose that theeca still hadn;t addressed my complaint.
It was in regards to having theeca contact its members over TOS changes and an opt out options etc etc.
I doubt anything will happen Now that so few people actually filed BBB complaints vs this crappy org.

[quote name='kodave']Ahahahahahaahahahaha

I go to log in to the new forums and am greeted with this:

And I'd like to note I wasn't banned before the forums went down.

Guess someone didn't like my posts/images here.[/QUOTE]

Damn. I'm more than a little disappointed to say that they haven't banned me from their forums. I can still log in there just fine! :roll:

[quote name='arcane93']Damn. I'm more than a little disappointed to say that they haven't banned me from their forums. I can still log in there just fine! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Well, you didn't make parody images of Hal Halpin, so that's probably why.

I have successfully cancled the auto renewal for my account... you can do it online through their website... so does this mean im good to go and not get charged?

Just canceled...Saved .44 suckas!

I did not receive any errors and they actually have a comment box when you cancel. I took the higher ground and left it blank.

[quote name='chankk']I have successfully cancled the auto renewal for my account... you can do it online through their website... so does this mean im good to go and not get charged?[/QUOTE]

Yes ... of course it meant that the last time that feature was on the website ... until they declared it to be not working...

So you're good ... if it's a working feature ;)

Just canceled....damn took like 5 steps, but my membership was "terminated".

The text at the bottom of the cancel page said:

"*Terminating your active membership in the association will remove the financial information on file, and will cancel all rights and services available to you as a member otherwise, but will not remove historical and contact information which ECA is required by law to preserve."

Im happy they finally fixed this and I'm especially glad I joined when the Amazon codes were available. I saved over $200 from Amazon.

i canceled my account. to be honest i had no use for it after they got rid of the amazon codes, but i would have just let it run out on it's own for the rest of the year. i'm sure a lot of people would have done that, which would have helped pad their member numbers and get more sponsors/support, but i decided to play it safe and made sure to cancel it myself.

and did anyone get an email confirming their cancellation?

[quote name='triforcer']
and did anyone get an email confirming their cancellation?[/QUOTE]

I just canceled but I haven't received the email confirmation, yet.

[quote name='slowdive21']After you cancel, you can try to log in again and it will show:

"The username xxxxxxxx has not been activated or is blocked."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what it shows when I try to login. So I guess I'm good? Thanks.

[quote name='Keen314']Did they update the TOS to include the online cancellation form that y'all are using? If not, then don't expect it to work.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point actually ... legally speaking, they are not obligated to cancel your membership unless its a method set forth in the TOS ... So a "non functioning button" issue (aka pulling an ECA) could pop up again.

Hopefully they have or will update their TOS

I sent a gmail postcard and they never cancelled me. Just cancelled online. The whole fiasco could have been avoided by saying "We are currently working on a solution!!!" What terrible leadership.

[quote name='kodave']Oh alright. Well, that's fun.

Jeez, the online cancellation process still isn't clear, as you have to figure out how to do the following:

Maybe we could get that 9 step list added to the OP so people have a clear understanding of what they have to do to cancel online?

Also, I like how the notification for auto-renew is now within 45 days when before we were told its 30. I bet that wouldn't have happened if boring legal debates hadn't raged on here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out these steps, I was having trouble figuring out how to cancel entirely. It is interesting that my account still showed auto-renewal as off, from when I used the supposedly non-working online feature a few months ago. I guess it was in fact working, unless they just turned off auto-renewal for everyone.

Thank God. Cancelled right away. I like how they try to put BS offers from Buy and Walmart. Funny thing is was greyed out. Probably going live soon.

I was able to cancel online as well. Would it be possible to bump this information to the first page or to the first post for that matter?

Their new forums are awful. I still can't make any new threads there. I can't believe this is how they treat active members still.

I guess I just turned off my auto-renew. I'd still like to support them theoretically, but I'll have to be convinced they're not going to screw me over if I give them my new credit card number in a few months.

[quote name='sefjwm']Their new forums are awful. I still can't make any new threads there. I can't believe this is how they treat active members still.[/QUOTE]

I guess only PMS clan members that GypsyFly invited can start new threads?

I found this pretty amusing from their forum rules(bold added for emphasis):

The ECA Forums are designed to stimulate a robust discussion on a variety of topics related to video games, politics and culture. Users may voice their opinions freely, so long as the content of the information posted to this site is not threatening, menacing, racist, obscene, defamatory, an invasion of someone’s privacy rights, a violation of intellectual property rights or otherwise illegal, injurious or objectionable to Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA). Solicitations, advertisements or postings of a commercial nature also are not permitted.

If all information is removed from there system once a member cancels then how do they still know your old login name. When I try logging in with a e-mail that wasn't associated with my old account I get this: Sorry, unrecognized username or password. Have you forgotten your password?

When I try logging in with the e-mail that I had with them I get this response: The username ****** has not been activated or is blocked.

How is my old user name still on file and attached to my e-mail if all user information has been removed?

[quote name='kodave']Oh alright. Well, that's fun.

Also, I like how the notification for auto-renew is now within 45 days when before we were told its 30. I bet that wouldn't have happened if boring legal debates hadn't raged on here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's up to 21 complaints on the BBB site now and I'm sure there's more to come. Considering the size of the ECA, that's actually a huge number of complaints for a single month or so.

Of all the legalese people were trying to make up in the thread, that was the only violation of the legal codes that people posted that I noticed, so I'm not surprised to see that changed.

[quote name='chakan']I guess only PMS clan members that GypsyFly invited can start new threads?

I found this pretty amusing from their forum rules(bold added for emphasis):[/QUOTE]

And apparently this as well:

"We reserve the right to edit or remove postings or content that do not comply with the foregoing terms of use and to permanently block the offending user’s access to the site. By posting content to the site, you have given us your assurance and warranty that you have the right to do so, that the content belongs to you or is a protected fair use and that you intend to give ECA a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, and worldwide license to use your posted content for all purposes in connection with the activities of ECA and its affiliates."

Fun Fun

For some reason, their "new and improved" board which needed to be magically upgraded while members were asking serious questions, does not seem to allow criticism, and is allowed to use anything posted in any way they like. AKA major anti-member clamp down.

Thank God they cancelled those 700+ names

That's awesome what has come of this.

Their sponsors seem to be about half of what they were before.

They FINALLY removed the reference to Amazon.

They also appeared to have hyper linked the shit out of their website...wtf???

The ongoing implosion of this organization has been great to watch!

EDIT - fucking liars...My auto-renew was already turned off without using the 'new feature'.....I did however use the old feature.....GAWD I hate these bastards!

Double EDIT - I went ahead and filed a BBB complaint to make up for any members who may not have followed through with BBB.

My BBB complaint under Contract - other:

"Filed against :
Entertainment Consumers Association
64 Danbury Road, Suite 700
Wilton CT 06897

Complaint Description:
I joined the ECA because of their mission statement to be a voice for consumers. Over the course of the last few months they have changed their terms of service and contract to customers more times than I can count. There used to be an online and telephone option to cancel and that was changed without notice. The option to cancel by phone was removed without notice. The functioning ability to cancel online was removed in order to frustrate what they referenced as a small minority. Over 700 members organized a mass cancellation and the option to cancel online was mysteriously back online. They added language that CC will be 'forced' in order to collect...that mysteriously was removed without notice. Consumers should be wary that they are entering into a contract and terms that change almost weekly with no notice whatsoever. Not to mention they advertised several benefits that were no longer available. Communication is horrible if at all. This organization has done nothing to support the consumers...if anything they have tried to strong arm their members. I'm ashamed to have ever joined.

Your Desired Resolution:
The ECA should issue personalized apologies to their members with which they have offended by the constant changing of their contract and MUST communicate any future changes via email or postal mail.

Your complaint will be reviewed by a BBB Dispute Resolution Specialist. If the complaint meets the criteria of BBB's national complaint acceptance policy, it will be forwarded to the business. BBB policy allows the business 30 working days to respond to your complaint. We will provide periodic updates to you during the complaint handling process. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation and patience."

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back