ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

So is there another CAG box going out or should I send my letter alone?

I'm filing my BBB complaint right now. Horrible practices.

Edit: I just changed my ECA membership to not auto-renew. It said my membership would still be active until my year was up on September of 2010. When I finally hit cancel for the 4th time it logged me off and I cannot log back in. It says "The username ****** has not been activated or is blocked."

Geez, these people are horrible. Also be aware, when you go to cancel they ask you 2 or 3 times if you're sure. They change the question though. The first time you answer "No, I don't want my account to auto renew." Then thay take you to a screen showing you benefits and you have to click through that. Then (in the same box as the first time) they have it say "No, I don't want to cancel my account now". This almost got me. Be careful. I took screenshots of everything and plan on sending a certified letter of cancellation as well.

Also, they said I'd receive confirmation and I have not as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
TERMINATED.

Here was my comment:

"You didn't handle the Amazon code fiasco very well. I really can't support your organization after this...I wish you the best though. But, I don't know how you're going to come out of this PR nightmare.

I'm a CAG. You've really upset the CAG community. I realize I wasn't one of your "core members", I was here for the codes...and now they're gone, and I'm moving on.

Thanks for implementing the online unsubscribe. I really didn't want to send a certified letter. CAGs don't really *do* letters. :)

But, hell, you get the Amazon codes back, and I'll be back. You have no idea how sad I was when you opened up the free codes...I was so looking forward to the Amazon multi-use-uniqely-tied-to-account codes. Oh well...

All the best,
Ndolger"

Yes! I'm terminated, Thank God!
Saved me a fucking headache from them. I was an actually $20 paying member.
At least I got more than my monies worth back from the orders I made.

I'm glad to see they updated many parts of their website.

But at the same time, it looks like they messed with too many things as well. I imagine all the hyperlinks are to inform us, but come on. It's not an encyclopaedia. There's not so much information you have to link every word to what it could possibly stand for.

So I havent been in this thread since it first started, can someone confirm this. Are they now allowing you to cancel auto renew "online"? Or are we still required certified snail mail cancellation?

If we can do it online where exactly do I do this? Want to be sure im done with these guys and have no part of them. Ugh.

Looks like my account has been terminated. My account "has not been activated or is blocked." I did the google snail mail holiday card. I guess it worked.

[quote name='DK745']Looks like my account has been terminated. My account "has not been activated or is blocked." I did the google snail mail holiday card. I guess it worked.[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing and just tried to login and got the same message. They must not have read my message though as I told them to send me a receipt of cancellation to the e-mail address.

I just terminated online, I don't even want to give any chance of being charged by them ever. The forums were lame, the discounts are non existent, the news letter is joke. I just don't see the reason for staying a member at all.

I got another response from the BBB
This is the 2rd time I have had to respond to them that the eca had not resolved my issue.
Theeca responded with "closed members account" even though the complaint was regarding notifing its members of any and all changes to theiri TOS and including an opt-out clause etc etc.

You only have 7days to respond as well or it gets resolved by default by the BBB

I also had requested IN WRITING that my account was canceled and i never got any letter in the mail.
I did get an email that didnt even specify which account was cancelled or to who the email was addressed to. lol.

I just got my response from the Gmail post card I sent. Membership has been canceled. That's awesome and good riddance. No money spent on this ordeal thanks to that code and Google. Never did get an Amazon code :(

[quote name='Orgymang']I did the exact same thing and just tried to login and got the same message. They must not have read my message though as I told them to send me a receipt of cancellation to the e-mail address.[/QUOTE]

I just got an e-mail today notifying me that it was canceled and all credit card information removed.

Just canceled my auto-renew as well. Took a screenshot this time also just in case. It might be a good idea to put this on the OP for people who missed out on the letters like myself.

[quote name='tightclaws']I just terminated online, I don't even want to give any chance of being charged by them ever. The forums were lame, the discounts are non existent, the news letter is joke. I just don't see the reason for staying a member at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused.
How?

I just went online and saw no place to terminate or turn off auto renewal.

when you log into your account go to "Membership Status"
select *No Additional Term, Thanks
and submit
you will go through a kind of checkout, that confirms auto-renewal is off and gives the option to stay a member or cancel outright

if you remain a member, but have auto-renewal off, now in your membership status you will see "*No Additional Term, Thanks"

I don't check every thread all the time and this is the first I'm hearing of this whole debacle. The last I saw was the whole problem with Amazon codes not working back in like Nov.

Anyway, When I submitted my original subscription, I put in a bogus security code. So, they shouldn't be able to charge me anyway, right?

I'm just thinking that maybe they'll get their sheeat put back on the up and up and I should leave my sub the way it is. TBH, I didn't read all 19 pages of previous posts, so I'm a little lacking on info.

Or should I just cancel their asses and move on?

[quote name='vherub']when you log into your account go to "Membership Status"
select *No Additional Term, Thanks
and submit
you will go through a kind of checkout, that confirms auto-renewal is off and gives the option to stay a member or cancel outright

if you remain a member, but have auto-renewal off, now in your membership status you will see "*No Additional Term, Thanks"[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks.
Happy to be rid of them.

Just thought about this today for some reason, I had forgotten all about it. I am glad they have finally implemented an online cancellation. I was never really worried because my renewal was not coming up until August, so I figured that they would be forced to do something by then. Thanks for the heads up, no longer a member now. :D

everyone that recieved the cancellation email make sure that u cant login. i was able to still login even though i got the cancellation email. I had to email web(at)theeca(dot)com to make sure that they actually canceled my account.

I got a cancellation email quite a while ago, but I just checked and logged right in with no problems and nothing looking any different. The renewal term was blank, but it said auto-renew was on, so I just changed it to the "no thanks" option so it's now off.

Weird that they even fucked up the cancellation.

I can't log in any more but I still receive the member newsletter? I never received a email from them about me being cancelled. I was one of the names in the box that was mailed.

[quote name='Impulsedaniel']I can't log in any more but I still receive the member newsletter? I never received a email from them about me being cancelled. I was one of the names in the box that was mailed.[/QUOTE]
They did send me a confirmation e-mail, but I still got the newsletter. I'd bet yours is canceled if you can't log in.

Finally cancelled this shit. Someone please post a thread in the Deals forum if they start mysteriously activating accounts again.

I can't login anymore either, but I still get the newsletter, and I never got a cancellation email. I did sign that Google doc though, though so I assume my account is canceled but I guess you can never be completely sure...

[quote name='Impulsedaniel']I can't log in any more but I still receive the member newsletter? I never received a email from them about me being cancelled. I was one of the names in the box that was mailed.[/QUOTE]

I just online canceled too and can't log in, so I guess I'm just waiting for the email and I should be good to go!

How long did it take everyone to get the cancellation email just so I know how long to wait before emailing them?

Glad to be done with such a shady organization!

FYI I just got an email from the ECA talking about net neutrality, and urging us to submit this:
http://action.theeca.com/t/2858/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=2121

It would be pretty bad if we really lose that-companies like Verizon and Comcast would all of a sudden hold all kinds of power or be able to squeeze out both startups and companies like Valve, GOG, Microsoft and Google. And those probably wouldn't even be the worst results...

I sent a written notice to them asking to cancel my account back in early December when this nonsense started, and on the same day I filed a complaint with the BBB and sent them copies of the letters.

Although I cannot log in to my ECA account anymore, they have sent me neither an email nor a letter confirming they have canceled the account, though they reported to the BBB that they sent notice on 12/15/09.

When I followed up and said no letter or email was received and asked them to resend, they told the BBB they would not do this (apparently believing I was lying), and the BBB has closed my complaint.

I'm pretty sure I'm okay, but this has been ridiculously frustrating and unnecessary. Really? They can't send me a stinking email confirming everything's been canceled?

Has anyone that canceled on the website received an email stating your account is canceled?
I see people put in the comments to ask for a confirmation email and received.
I canceled about 3 weeks ago and have not heard anything.

Seems like they were good about it at first when all the press was watching them. Now that the heat has died down they are back to their old ways.

Anyone have anything new or fun to report on the ECA?

Their BBB status is still at NR because of so many pending complaints. I wonder if or when these will be resolved. Not that their BBB status matters at this point.

Well they just banned me accusing me of reporting them to the BBB which I have yet to do. I guess I may have to since they aren't responding anymore. Kind of lame they ban there remaining members without proof.

[quote name='sefjwm']Well they just banned me accusing me of reporting them to the BBB which I have yet to do. I guess I may have to since they aren't responding anymore. Kind of lame they ban there remaining members without proof.[/QUOTE]
LOL witch hunt in progress. What a massive failure.

I cancled online and then sent a letter but I don't know if I signed it or not. I'm going to guess that they canceled my account because when I try to log in I get "The username shazo has not been activated or is blocked." I never did get an email and they had to sign for the letter and I will get a card back in the mail telling me they got it. It cost me nothing to join and I saved enough to maybe get a free game if I took all that I saved and added it up but it cost me a little over 5 bucks to cancel it.

I emailed them directly (vs. through the BBB) asking them to email a scan or DOC copy of the letter they claim they sent to me on 12/15/09 confirming my account was canceled as requested. Or just send an email saying, "We canceled your account as requested," for God's sake, just so I'd have something direct and in writing from them.

All they had to do was send a stupid email, but they could not be bothered to respond. I had to make a PDF of the BBB report in which they said they canceled the account in case they do try to charge my card when my renewal is up.

They're completely awful and pathetic.

I've seen other people mentioning that they can't log in. I get the "The username Grinchy has not been activated or is blocked." when I try.

I don't get their newsletter, but I probably told them not to send it from the beginning. I haven't gotten any message from them about account cancellation either, so I'm starting to worry that I'll be getting charged next time around.

eca blows... I just got an eca newsletter about them being partnered with IGN, and info about new discounts for IGN exclusive memberships. The problem is the letter is addressed "Dear ECA Member". I canceled online and get the same "not activated / blocked" message when I attempt to log in. So I assumed I was no longer a member...

[quote name='SunCe177']eca blows... I just got an eca newsletter about them being partnered with IGN, and info about new discounts for IGN exclusive memberships. The problem is the letter is addressed "Dear ECA Member". I canceled online and get the same "not activated / blocked" message when I attempt to log in. So I assumed I was no longer a member...[/QUOTE]

I got the same email...actually it is one of two emails I got from them the whole time I was a member/non member. I think they emailed everyone who was ever a member.

I have been getting their newsletters, which are full of the most juvenile tabloid BS you can imagine.

Like a blog post from a woman who claims that video games are created by Satan. She was so happy about the ECA post, because she never had any traffic to her website until ECA broadcast it to all its members.

so the BBB gives them an A-......an A-? really? I expected them to get a higher score than they deserve, but an A-? I guess I'll never trust the BBB to give a fair, honest report.

[quote name='manumana10'] I guess I'll never trust the BBB to give a fair, honest report.[/QUOTE]

Your first mistake was believing in that from the beginning. Seriously, I don't understand what people expect of an organization that has no direct ties to the Government, nor any real legitimate power to do anything. Think of it as just one major customer review board...

Nobody know since nobody's renewal has come due yet.

As for me I was willing to give them another chance but they banned my account saying I filed a report against them. I never did but they stopped responding to me. I guess I will have to file a report now for being caught up in a witch hunt.

I turned off the auto renew back in January and cancelled my membership to the site. I can't log into my account, yet I still receive their garbage newsletter every month. Funny thing is I never received one e-mail from them when I actually was a member.

bread's done
Back