Employees of all stores--post your stupid customer stories-- Numero Quatro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='B1gC72']i had an interesting phone call the other day at my job.

woman: "hi. do you guys carry the GameStation 2?"

me: "im sorry mam, did you mean Playstation 2? because we do carry those and have 4 in stock"

woman: "i think thats the one. im not sure. i was almost sure it was GameStation but thats ok. thank you sir." - hangs up the phone.

i go an laugh with a few collegues about the call only to hear about another call over the loud speaker a couple minutes later. i pick up the phone.

woman: "hi. i just called about the GameStation 2 a few minutes ago and just wanted to know how much they cost".

me: *mental sigh* "the GameStation 2's are $129.99 mam."

woman: "ok. thank you again sir." - hangs up phone.

it just amusses me when people come into stores not having a clue what they are looking for. thats why if there is something i need to buy that i dont know much about, i look it up online and get details about it before i go an avoid making an ass of myself.[/QUOTE]

The best is you try to correct someone to prevent from looking like an ass in the future and they get all pissy about it.

On a totally unrelated note, I really, really, really fucking hate the assholes that open boxes in the store to look at something. Especially when that something is sealed and there is a display of it out and I answered their question not but 90 seconds before that.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']On a totally unrelated note, I really, really, really fucking hate the assholes that open boxes in the store to look at something. Especially when that something is sealed and there is a display of it out and I answered their question not but 90 seconds before that.[/QUOTE]

You know what is worse is that afterwards when if they decide to buy said product... THEY WILL GRAB AN UNOPENED ONE AND LEAVE THE ONE THEY TORE APART JUST SITTING THERE.

I hate it too.

[quote name='Demolition Man']You know what is worse is that afterwards when if they decide to buy said product... THEY WILL GRAB AN UNOPENED ONE AND LEAVE THE ONE THEY TORE APART JUST SITTING THERE.

I hate it too.[/QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP I HATE IT WHEN THEY DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my retail experience has had nothing to do with video games, but how can I resist this... I use to work at a Michael's Arts & Crafts...

Like everyone says, the people who would come in at closing and poke around. Favorite was when a lady came it after 5 on Christmas Eve... she was informed we were closed and she got angry and demanded to know why... duh.

And try selling scrapbook supplies... ugh. I spent about 45 minutes with a woman who had me ring up this huge order and proceeded to fret over what her husband would htink of it, and had me add and remove things... wrote a check... finished the order... then she decides she doesn't want ANY of it and had to do a return on everything... and then there is the whole issue of check returns...

Then there are all the soccer moms with their starbucks and badly behaved children, who come in the store and treat you like you're some sort of indentured servant...

My favorite kid story was when a mom was checking out... and her kid, who was maybe 4 or 5... kept grabbing a candy off the counter and trying to add it to the order. She tells him no... several times... he whines, cries... finally he KICKS HER... and she proceeds to then BUY HIM THE CANDY!!! WTH is wrong with parents!? My kid would not be getting any candy for a loooong dang time if they pulled that with me...

Needless to say, I hate retail... :rofl:

[quote name='PleasantOne']Well my retail experience has had nothing to do with video games, but how can I resist this... I use to work at a Michael's Arts & Crafts...[/QUOTE]

It would seems Michael's shoppers are the same in CO as they are here in WA...:lol:

My favorite are the Clearance Scrapbookers... "All 78 sheets of this paper are supposed to be 25 cents." "This one's 39 cents."

one of 2 things happen: 1) They refuse to buy the 39-cent paper. 2) They make you call someone to price-check the 39 paper, becuase they know it was a quarter. So then you waste 10 minutes getting a floor guy to look and explaining to the customer prices are under the item, not over them... y'know, just like every other retail store in existence!!! At this point, they say your store is labeled wrong and refuse to buy the 39-paper.

Some days it's soooo tempting to just say "I'll give you the 14 cents out of my own pocket, can we please move on now?"

[quote name='Demolition Man']You know what is worse is that afterwards when if they decide to buy said product... THEY WILL GRAB AN UNOPENED ONE AND LEAVE THE ONE THEY TORE APART JUST SITTING THERE.

I hate it too.[/quote]

I had someone do that once. I saw it happening, though, and took the opened one up to checkout, took the sealed one off the counter and told them they can buy the one they just opened. They took it and didn't say a word.

wow, how many cag's used to work at michael's arts and crafts!?!?!? LOL!

regarding calling for a price check, the worst part is that most customers keep asking you
"Well, can't YOU go and check the price for me?!? (even though it's kinda sorta 20 feet away)"

Me: "Sorry Ma'am, no can do cuz I'm the friggin' Cashier (and we're not allowed to leave this spot, ya know in case someone wants to suddenly steal something outta my register drawer....)"

sigh, that's why i enjoy the days when it's not so busy at the register...

A few weeks ago I had an old lady call up asking about chicken pot pies. I told her it wasn't my department that stocked them, but told her the manager she would have to talk to. Her response was "Is he the African, I, I mean the negro"

[quote name='Rictor']I always got pissed when people came in right at closing when I was in retail, first at a video game store, then at a comic book store. At both jobs, there was no time clock. The store closed at 8 pm and I stopped getting paid at 8 pm on the dot. Sometimes I'd be there until 8:45 dicking around with customers.[/QUOTE]

Thats rather illegal. Your call on if you want to address the issue with your boss, notify the state, do something else, or do nothing, but thats a big payroll No No for hourly employees.

[quote name='foltzie']Thats rather illegal. Your call on if you want to address the issue with your boss, notify the state, do something else, or do nothing, but thats a big payroll No No for hourly employees.[/QUOTE]

Er whoops, this topic is probably long over... thought I was on the last page...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']It would seems Michael's shoppers are the same in CO as they are here in WA...:lol:

My favorite are the Clearance Scrapbookers... "All 78 sheets of this paper are supposed to be 25 cents." "This one's 39 cents."

one of 2 things happen: 1) They refuse to buy the 39-cent paper. 2) They make you call someone to price-check the 39 paper, becuase they know it was a quarter. So then you waste 10 minutes getting a floor guy to look and explaining to the customer prices are under the item, not over them... y'know, just like every other retail store in existence!!! At this point, they say your store is labeled wrong and refuse to buy the 39-paper.

Some days it's soooo tempting to just say "I'll give you the 14 cents out of my own pocket, can we please move on now?"[/QUOTE]

When I used to work retail (Wal-Mart), if the difference was under $5ish and it was a single item or two I would usually just do an override and let it go. I figured it wasnt worth my time or the stores to debate that small of a price.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']Another favorite is when people ask me for a recommendation:
"Uhh... hmm... what do you usually get"
"Well, actually, I'm lactose intolerant" (

[quote name='hack']I read this and thought, I sometimes ask for the employee's recommendation, and I was wondering...

Do people hate that question? I tend to ask that when I really don't know what the heck to get/order. I wouldn't think that such a question would be annoying... but then again, I've never worked in food/retail.[/QUOTE]
well, i have some pretty weird tastes. If people actually took my recommendations, the blizzard of the month would be pie chips, cherry magic shell, and gummy bears (in pumpkin ice cream, if possible). Besides that, its not that difficult of a decision, just choose a few candies you like and hope for the best.

Its not a really bad question to ask, but I also love fucking with people's minds

Anyone who works retail, don't you catch yourself doing the scene from Clerks from time to time. A customer does something totally stupid then you walk across the store to your buddy and say, "You won't believe what this guy did..."

Anyways today at "big box electronics store"...

- A customer asked "What do you do with the demo?"

Me - "The demo?"

Customer - "Yeah the demos"

Me - "What demos? The one on the pc's?"

Customer (Already in an angry tone) - "NO, the demo PC."

Me - "Well, nothing right now, it's just on display."

Customer - "You don't sell it??"

Me - "When we are not going to get anymore shipped to us, and we are out of new in box items we sell the display model."

Customer - "When does that happen?"

Me - "...When we are out of new in box items"

Customer - "No, when, as in, what time? I mean how do I find out when that happens?"

Me - "Come into the store."

That may not sound bad to you guys but what was I supposed to do, tell the guy to give me his email and every time we sell out of a unit and it is for sale to email him? AND everything, EVERYTHING is NINE days old. NO display models will be on sale for a while because of VISTA.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^ I think she wanted you to hand her the credit card, but I don't know anyone like that pickey or know anyone who would pay $12 with a credit card, maybe a check so I could be wrong. :)[/quote]

i work at a university in the cashiers office, and i have people wanting to charge 10 dollars. hell someone tried charging .30 cents and we don't have a minimum policy. but i said no. so they paid it by check.

Every once in a while, we get some really "big-boned" ladies and gentlemen in our store. Of course, they want to use the electric carts because they can barely carry their own weight.

In any case, it was a normal day and a lady such as I'd described came in and took one of our 2 available carts. She drove away and almost immediately drove back citing that it needed to be charged; sure enough the light was blinking. She takes the other one instead.

My Coworker goes to move the old one to plug it in and it's working fine. The light is steady meaning that it doesn't need charging. The lady comes back again and says that the 2nd one she took barely can turn, and it's true, it does have a slight problem. I tell the lady that if she wants to wait for the third one, she's more than welcome but I couldn't guarentee how long it'll take. She sits there for 25 minutes waiting for the third one to come back and thankfully leaves with that one after it comes.

The only good thing I can say is that she was at least not angry about it. They really need to put weight limits on those damn things, it happens at least once a week.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Every once in a while, we get some really "big-boned" ladies and gentlemen in our store. Of course, they want to use the electric carts because they can barely carry their own weight.

In any case, it was a normal day and a lady such as I'd described came in and took one of our 2 available carts. She drove away and almost immediately drove back citing that it needed to be charged; sure enough the light was blinking. She takes the other one instead.

My Coworker goes to move the old one to plug it in and it's working fine. The light is steady meaning that it doesn't need charging. The lady comes back again and says that the 2nd one she took barely can turn, and it's true, it does have a slight problem. I tell the lady that if she wants to wait for the third one, she's more than welcome but I couldn't guarentee how long it'll take. She sits there for 25 minutes waiting for the third one to come back and thankfully leaves with that one after it comes.

The only good thing I can say is that she was at least not angry about it. They really need to put weight limits on those damn things, it happens at least once a week.[/quote]You could always use the forklift in the back to cart her around.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Every once in a while, we get some really "big-boned" ladies and gentlemen in our store. Of course, they want to use the electric carts because they can barely carry their own weight.

The only good thing I can say is that she was at least not angry about it. They really need to put weight limits on those damn things, it happens at least once a week.[/QUOTE]

"They" used to, previously those carts had a posted limit of 200-300lbs depending on the model. However, due to complaints (and perhaps legal threats) the stickers were removed at most stores. A cart that would allow a 400lb person to move about would probably have too much torque to be safe to use by or around regular individuals. Hence the comical site of a tiny little engine straining to tote Jabba about the store.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']2 more from today-

We are still not open for business, a guy comes in and asks to buy a flashlight. He offers to pay more than what we are selling it for but we told him we didn't get flashlights in yet (we don't have registers yet and are not set up to sell anything yet).

When answering the phone, getting at least 5 wrong numbers today, someone starts asking me about a TV they want to purchase describing the specs. I answered the phone with the store's name and there is no way we would sell TV's. I mentioned the name of the store again and told him he had the wrong number.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you are going to get the wrong numbers until the new Yellow Pages comes out. Man, I do not envy you for a while.

I had one of those old people who thinks they understand technology the other day at work. He was probably mid sixties, obese and with a bluetooth earpieces for his phone. He freaked out me when I put his AMEX card under the black light. He told me it would destroy the card and he didnt think anyone could be so stupid. I wanted to beat him over the head with my stapler.

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']i work at a university in the cashiers office, and i have people wanting to charge 10 dollars. hell someone tried charging .30 cents and we don't have a minimum policy. but i said no. so they paid it by check.[/QUOTE]

I've charged a drink and a bag of chips at a c-store before.

Technically if you accept Visa, and maybe MC as well, as a credit transaction, the merchant isn't allowed to require a minimum purchase (unless things have changed in the past few years).

Yeah you aren't supposed to charge a minimum but it's amazing to me how many stores do. Both Pizza places (non chain) have $10 and $20 minimums and the bakery in one of those centers is also $10 minimum. I have even seen some Gas Stations having minimums.

I always charge everything when I can (everytime but at stores that have a minimum). I hate carrying around cash and getting the coins back as change in addition to bills and with my reward credit card, all those $3 - $5 purchases can add up over the course of a year.

I know it's about customers, but today I was at my local gamestop, and this kid walks in, waits in line, and then when he's first he asks the clerk when Crackdown is coming out, the guy tells him tuesday or wednesday, don't know for sure, and then he asks the guy if he can persuade him into giving him a copy a few days early. No, he can't, so he says see ya [day when it comes out] and as he's walking away this fat fuck that I can only assume is the manager says very loudly "What an idiot, I can't believe he just asked that"

I mean I understand asking for a store to break a street date even by a few days is a dumb idea, but what the fuck is that guys problem. Then I thought and realized this guy's around 40 years old, he's ugly, over weight, and manages a game store (no offense managers) so he gets his laughs by making fun of little kids.

[quote name='magiic']I had one of those old people who thinks they understand technology the other day at work. He was probably mid sixties, obese and with a bluetooth earpieces for his phone. He freaked out me when I put his AMEX card under the black light. He told me it would destroy the card and he didnt think anyone could be so stupid. I wanted to beat him over the head with my stapler.[/QUOTE]

Black light? huh?

[quote name='jPoD']Black light? huh?[/QUOTE]

Many stores use reciept tape that has a UV ink on it; you hold it under a little black light to check for validity.

[quote name='foltzie']Many stores use reciept tape that has a UV ink on it; you hold it under a little black light to check for validity.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty sweet. I guess I didnt notice they do that regularly. I thought they just did that with my dad's credit card since they never see them.

Old person - I thought all those candies were supposed to be 5 for $1.
Me - Its just the Nestle candy thats 5 for $1, the Hershey candy is 4 for $1.
Old person - Well they were all in the 5 for $1 section.
Me - Theres a sign over there that says the Hershey candy is 4 for $1 and the Nestle is 5 for $1.
Old person - No, they were all in the same section which is 5 for $1
Me - Would you like for me to get a price check?
Old person - Yes

I have my bagger go over and bring the signs which show the prices for both types of candy.

Me - Which candy would you still like to get?
Old person - None this thing is a big scam

That's the closest thing I can really post thats "story" considering where I live,. pretty much all my customers are retarded. Everybody pays with checks, everybody buys nothing but expensive steaks and Little Debbies with EBT cards, and everybody smells like swamp-ass and sawdust.

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']I know it's about customers, but today I was at my local gamestop, and this kid walks in, waits in line, and then when he's first he asks the clerk when Crackdown is coming out, the guy tells him tuesday or wednesday, don't know for sure, and then he asks the guy if he can persuade him into giving him a copy a few days early. No, he can't, so he says see ya [day when it comes out] and as he's walking away this fat fuck that I can only assume is the manager says very loudly "What an idiot, I can't believe he just asked that"

I mean I understand asking for a store to break a street date even by a few days is a dumb idea, but what the fuck is that guys problem. Then I thought and realized this guy's around 40 years old, he's ugly, over weight, and manages a game store (no offense managers) so he gets his laughs by making fun of little kids.[/QUOTE]

The only fun part of retail is relating fun stories of the moronic customers. That was a dmub question, therefore the person was deservedly called dumb. We all like to think we don't talk badly behind people's backs about them, but we all do and not just in retail. The key though is to do this so other customers don't see/hear it. We have an unspoken spoken rule that there's no negative sales talk on the sales floor. But sometimes I'll head back to break room, office area, or loading dock to tell somebody about an idiot customer.

[quote name='jPoD']Black light? huh?[/quote]
All credit cards have a watermarks on them that are only visible under black lights. Visa cards have a big dove right in the centre of the card, mastercards have an M and C on either side of the card, and AMEX cards say AMEX across the card in big letters. I check every credit card I get under a blacklight for those. And for those wondering, his card checked out fine. So he was just being an ignorant old fool.

Very few people know about the watermarks. Quite often people think I'm double swiping the card. So I carefully explain it and pull the black light out and show them. This guy was just a prick and called me an idiot and saying it was the worst thing you could do to a credit card. Maybe he thought I said electro magnet instead of black light. I mean they kind of sound the same *rolls eyes*...some people are so ignorant to technology, especially seniors (not being prejudiced just stating from experience at work). Or just ignorant in general. Or just generally prejudiced towards young people. There is a line between commanding respect from the younger generation, and just being an asshole.

I remember when Ps2 came out and they would advertise games on tv with the playstation logo and customers would come in insisting that it was made or PS1 and I would explain that the playstation logo was used to cover both formats.
Of course they would pull the false advertising and such routine.

The other one I like is "what do you mean I can't return this system for a refund because I opened it and played it!" I'm gonna call the better buisness bureau. Folks fail to realize the BBB is no threat to any buisness. It's a scam that hits up retailers to join so they can be included on thier recomended page. For a small fee. It's not even a gov't agency.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']The only fun part of retail is relating fun stories of the moronic customers. That was a dmub question, therefore the person was deservedly called dumb. We all like to think we don't talk badly behind people's backs about them, but we all do and not just in retail. The key though is to do this so other customers don't see/hear it. We have an unspoken spoken rule that there's no negative sales talk on the sales floor. But sometimes I'll head back to break room, office area, or loading dock to tell somebody about an idiot customer.[/quote]

Listen, the kid asked a slightly dumb question because he probably wanted the game a lot, and some dick calsl him an idiot, if that's how retail works then fuck that shit.

[quote name='MisterNewGuy']i work at a university in the cashiers office, and i have people wanting to charge 10 dollars. hell someone tried charging .30 cents and we don't have a minimum policy. but i said no. so they paid it by check.[/QUOTE]

I once charged .10 when the postage rate changed and I needed some penny stamps. Thought I had change too. At least the man at the local grocery store was nice about it and didn't complain.

[quote name='foltzie']Oh, you are going to get the wrong numbers until the new Yellow Pages comes out. Man, I do not envy you for a while.[/QUOTE]

It is also a blessing too, I moved from an already open best buy to a new one in another city when I worked for best buy. It was absolutely amazing not having the phone ring off the hook with stupid questions all day.

In the spirit of stories about customers coming in near closing. I had a couple come in and BUY A WHOLE fuckING BATHROOM five minutes before closing. They bought, tiles, grout, tools, mirror, toilet, sink, shower/bath, hand towel holders soap holders, lights they bought everything. They kept the whole store opened almost a full 20 minutes late so they could be served. We even had to forklift the shower/bath from the 20ft level.

[quote name='magiic']All credit cards have a watermarks on them that are only visible under black lights. Visa cards have a big dove right in the centre of the card, mastercards have an M and C on either side of the card, and AMEX cards say AMEX across the card in big letters. I check every credit card I get under a blacklight for those. And for those wondering, his card checked out fine. So he was just being an ignorant old fool.

Very few people know about the watermarks. Quite often people think I'm double swiping the card. So I carefully explain it and pull the black light out and show them. This guy was just a prick and called me an idiot and saying it was the worst thing you could do to a credit card. Maybe he thought I said electro magnet instead of black light. I mean they kind of sound the same *rolls eyes*...some people are so ignorant to technology, especially seniors (not being prejudiced just stating from experience at work). Or just ignorant in general. Or just generally prejudiced towards young people. There is a line between commanding respect from the younger generation, and just being an asshole.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty cool. I learned something today haha.

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']Listen, the kid asked a slightly dumb question because he probably wanted the game a lot, and some dick calsl him an idiot, if that's how retail works then fuck that shit.[/QUOTE]

First it was dumb IIRC, now it's only slightly dumb. I agree though, if it's a kid that like maybe 10 (I didn't pay attention to this fact upon my prior post), then fine this guy was a douchebag for saying antyhing and a bigger one for doing it in front of the kid.

But if the kid was like 16 or 17, then that's a pretty dumb question, calling the guy dumb (that's what idiot technically means allbeit slightly harsh) is only calling out what you see, though as I said you should never do this to their faces or in front of other customers either. Let's face it though, people will judge other people by what they do, in any business. If you do/say something stupid other people will at first glance think you are an "idiot", they may not always say it aloud, but they'll think. And yes we all def. crap out when it comes to brains at times, but then you need to have the sense of humor to try and laugh it off and people will croos a line on occasion as well as I mentioned above. Overall though if you can't find a little humor in someone who does call somebody out for saying/doing dumb things then this probably isn't a thread you'll want to read much.

On behalf of all retail works I would like to suggest... no I would like to ENFORCE the following for all customers to do as follows:

A) You would be doing the world a favor if you would do something called BATHE and BRUSH YOUR TEETH at least once a day. It only takes a few minutes a day to do but it will do wonders for not just you but everyone AROUND you who has to suffering smelling that odar coming out of you.

B) When talking it would be a benefit for everyone else if you did not mumble. Especially if you are, say, asking for product information. How can you be helped when I can't hear a damn thing you are saying?

C) Store employees can't help it if they are out of Wiis. Just because its in the ad does not mean that there will be Wiis sitting there all week long. If you wanted it that badly you should of gotten up Sunday and been in line.

D) Speaking of which employees can't control Fedex/UPS shipments and when they arrive. So demanding us to call them to have that delivery brought to the store quicker just so you can decide if you even want to buy Wii Play isn't going to work.

I feel much better now. Thanks for letting me vent out.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Old person - I thought all those candies were supposed to be 5 for $1.
Me - Theres a sign over there that says the Hershey candy is 4 for $1 and the Nestle is 5 for $1.
Old person - Yes

I have my bagger go over and bring the signs which show the prices for both types of candy.

That's the closest thing I can really post thats "story" considering where I live,. pretty much all my customers are retarded. Everybody pays with checks, everybody buys nothing but expensive steaks and Little Debbies with EBT cards, and everybody smells like swamp-ass and sawdust.[/quote]
Any chance you live in South Georgia? Sounds quite familiar...

[quote name='magiic']In the spirit of stories about customers coming in near closing. I had a couple come in and BUY A WHOLE fuckING BATHROOM five minutes before closing. They bought, tiles, grout, tools, mirror, toilet, sink, shower/bath, hand towel holders soap holders, lights they bought everything. They kept the whole store opened almost a full 20 minutes late so they could be served. We even had to forklift the shower/bath from the 20ft level.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I work in the food court of my warehouse which is right by the exit. So when the store closes, some customers feel like stopping by the food court before they leave. This results in dirtied up just cleaned tables and soda fountains. Some days the last family or group of people in the warehouse decide to stop by the food court and dine in even though we have been closed for 30 minutes. This results in a very angry me. So I end up pushing all the tables to the side like I am suppose to at the end of the night which makes them in a center of the room all by themselves eating. This helps make the people realize we are close.

[quote name='Demolition Man']On behalf of all retail works I would like to suggest... no I would like to ENFORCE the following for all customers to do as follows:

A) You would be doing the world a favor if you would do something called BATHE and BRUSH YOUR TEETH at least once a day. It only takes a few minutes a day to do but it will do wonders for not just you but everyone AROUND you who has to suffering smelling that odar coming out of you.

B) When talking it would be a benefit for everyone else if you did not mumble. Especially if you are, say, asking for product information. How can you be helped when I can't hear a damn thing you are saying?

C) Store employees can't help it if they are out of Wiis. Just because its in the ad does not mean that there will be Wiis sitting there all week long. If you wanted it that badly you should of gotten up Sunday and been in line.

D) Speaking of which employees can't control Fedex/UPS shipments and when they arrive. So demanding us to call them to have that delivery brought to the store quicker just so you can decide if you even want to buy Wii Play isn't going to work.

I feel much better now. Thanks for letting me vent out.[/quote]
I've run into my share of retail employees who are guilty of points A) and B). How they keep their job, is beyond me. Of course, this is mainly restricted to the video game and video retail jobs. Other retail stores have perhaps better management.

I was at the market's food court last night getting a slice of pizza which is next to the self serve wing hot bar. Some lady got a meal that included 10 wings, there were 4 types. One was called Extra Spicy. She asks the cashier if it's really that hot and spicy. He says yes so she decides not to get it. She takes another variety, grabs the metal tongs to take it and then decides she doesn't want it, goes to another kind and does the same thing. Then she finally decided on another flavor and added 1 to her container and went back to the 2nd kind, grabbed one of those. Why take them one flavor at a time when there were only 4 to begin with. She was there for at least 5 minutes. I mean it's chicken wings, not a critical decision.

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']Old person - I thought all those candies were supposed to be 5 for $1.
Old person - Yes

[/QUOTE]

I hate when customers try to pull that nonsense. My store also has signs like that with the item name to prevent customers from moving items or switching signs

[quote name='The Crotch']I know that this is ridiculously old post (and I'm usually the first person to make fun of someone for reviving old threads), but I have to say that you missed a great opportunity to have some fun.

Her: Do you believe in Christ?
What I Would Say: Believe in? Well, don't tell anyone, but... I am Christ. Oh, yeah. I'm back. But don't tell anyone - let's make this our little secret, alright? I mean, could you imagine what would happen if the media knew about this? "Jesus, solve world hunger!" "Jesus, turn this water into wine!" "Jesus, cure my leprosy!" What a bunch of whiners, those lepers. It was all "Me, me, me!" with them.[/quote]

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

[quote name='magiic']All credit cards have a watermarks on them that are only visible under black lights. Visa cards have a big dove right in the centre of the card, mastercards have an M and C on either side of the card, and AMEX cards say AMEX across the card in big letters. I check every credit card I get under a blacklight for those. And for those wondering, his card checked out fine. So he was just being an ignorant old fool.

Very few people know about the watermarks. Quite often people think I'm double swiping the card. So I carefully explain it and pull the black light out and show them. This guy was just a prick and called me an idiot and saying it was the worst thing you could do to a credit card. Maybe he thought I said electro magnet instead of black light. I mean they kind of sound the same *rolls eyes*...some people are so ignorant to technology, especially seniors (not being prejudiced just stating from experience at work). Or just ignorant in general. Or just generally prejudiced towards young people. There is a line between commanding respect from the younger generation, and just being an asshole.[/QUOTE]

Ive never heard of that and never seen anyone do that to my card before. I learned something new today!

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']First it was dumb IIRC, now it's only slightly dumb. I agree though, if it's a kid that like maybe 10 (I didn't pay attention to this fact upon my prior post), then fine this guy was a douchebag for saying antyhing and a bigger one for doing it in front of the kid.

But if the kid was like 16 or 17, then that's a pretty dumb question, calling the guy dumb (that's what idiot technically means allbeit slightly harsh) is only calling out what you see, though as I said you should never do this to their faces or in front of other customers either. Let's face it though, people will judge other people by what they do, in any business. If you do/say something stupid other people will at first glance think you are an "idiot", they may not always say it aloud, but they'll think. And yes we all def. crap out when it comes to brains at times, but then you need to have the sense of humor to try and laugh it off and people will croos a line on occasion as well as I mentioned above. Overall though if you can't find a little humor in someone who does call somebody out for saying/doing dumb things then this probably isn't a thread you'll want to read much.[/quote]

The kid was in the 12-13 area, and besides that yes I understand, judging people is done by everyone, and most of the stories in this thread are hahalarious, but doing it out loud in front of said customer isn't especially if it's just a kid isn't the most honorable thing to do, y'know?

Haven't posted before in here, but man, do I empathize with you guys. I've been working with my parents since I was 8, doing really menial things, but nevertheless having my share of stories. I'll start with the most recent one, today's, at my parents food market.

So there's this old bitch, the one costumer I loathe the most who's around 40 and tries to act like she's 18, trying to wear the trampiest clothes and ordering her poor grandson around. Anyways, we've been close to catching her shoplift, and we know for sure she has. She's been on to us, seeing as we've been trying to catch her in the act.

We're not a big store, so we have about 30 red baskets and maybe 5-ish shopping carts. We had 10 small ones but the majority of them got stolen, because people are lazy jackasses that won't return them after we let them borrow them, seeing as a lot of our costumers don't have cars. It's a big taxi/walking town. Anyways, sidetracking from the story. I was walking around the cashier area, because people leave baskets around and I pick them up, out of conveniance for the shopper mostly. I go to the basket holder to put them back, and I notice that someone stupidly left all their stuff inside the top basket. Now, I could easily of taken the top basket out and put it on the side, but people do this too much. Can't someone use common sense to realize other people will need the baskets too? So to spite the person, I take out all of the stuff from the basket and put them on the side.

I go back to the register, and up comes the aforementioned bitch. She starts to rant that someone talk all of her stuff out of the basket, and how if the person does the same thing, she'll beat the crap out of them. My mom, who shares many of the same attitudes as I do concerning the lack of common decency many people have, looks at me and laughs.

I was hoping the lady would leave her stuff lying around again, so I could take them out of their basket just to fudge with her mind.

I guess another story sums up my point, and maybe the point of the entire thread...

A guy gets a piece of paper. He's going to throw it away. He asks me if I have a garbage can, and I nod. He proceeds to cut up the paper into dozens of pieces, then hands them to me. The guy leaves, I turn to my dad, and I ask, "Why would he rip up the paper if I was just going to throw it away?" i.e., why put in all that effort instead of just crumbling up the thing?

My dad looks at me and says, "Some people are just dumb."

Since there hasn't been a body-fluid realted story in awhile, just thought everyone might like to know I've offically joined the 'elite' ranks of retail employees cleaning up someone else's piss. (yay?)

It wasn't really very interesting... and old lady with a brace on each leg called me over to far registers to say she'd had an "accident", and did I have any paper towels. I didn't (we just remodeled the registers, most of our old register stuff is in boxes), so I went and got the mop bucket. She offered to clean it up herself, but I figured the hunched-up old lady in the leg braces was more likely to a)just push the puddle around, or b) slip and break said-braced legs, so I did it. (I was also taken aback by a customer offering to to something unpleasant for me- a true rarity.)

I guess that's it. Sorry. Maybe someone will try and flush crap-filled underwear down the toilet again... I missed that cleanup.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Customer: "Do you guys sell CDs?"

...I work at FYE.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten that too. Its even more embarrasing when they are right in front of the area and ask. I swear sometimes they like to ask dumb things to either:

A) See if us "dumb" retail employees know anything.
B) Relieve us of our otherwise precieved "exciting" job.

[quote name='Tybalt Flux']
So there's this [highlight]old bitch[/highlight], the one costumer I loathe the most who's [highlight]around 40[/highlight] and tries to act like she's 18, trying to wear the trampiest clothes and ordering [highlight]her poor grandson[/highlight] around.
[/quote]

#-o You must be very very young...
Besides (and I know this isn't the case in some places, but...) most people I know who are 40 and have kids old enough to order around are a parent and not a grandparent ;).

[quote name='Tybalt Flux']
A guy gets a piece of paper. He's going to throw it away. He asks me if I have a garbage can, and I nod. He proceeds to cut up the paper into dozens of pieces, then hands them to me. The guy leaves, I turn to my dad, and I ask, "Why would he rip up the paper if I was just going to throw it away?" i.e., why put in all that effort instead of just crumbling up the thing?
[/QUOTE]

I dunno - credit card slip maybe? In that case it would be smart - so you don't steal his credit card info ;).

Speaking of which, I'll chime in with the rest of the people who were shocked to hear about the black light thing. Whoever posted that - expect many surprised looks and questions about it because I have never seen such a thing and I shop all the time with my CC (never use cash - to the person shocked about people charging less than $10, I do it ALL the time). I would be a bit worried about such behavior from a clerk too, especially as I've had 2 credit card numbers stolen by merchants or their employees in the past year and used for fraudulent charges. Now, if everyone actually used these black lights maybe it could have stopped whoever made the fake cards out of my numbers from getting away with it (for the few hours that they were able to). Apparently Home Depot and Target are not places where they check for such things :rofl:.

[quote name='Circa2113']Any chance you live in South Georgia? Sounds quite familiar...[/QUOTE]

Nope, South Tennesse.

And i'll agree with whoever made the suggestion for customers to brush their damn teeth and shower once in a while. Ever have a whole family of smelly people in your line?

[quote name='Ziv_Zulander']And i'll agree with whoever made the suggestion for customers to brush their damn teeth and shower once in a while. Ever have a whole family of smelly people in your line?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have.... its not a pretty sight. Or smell for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back