Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

[quote name='Soodmeg']To anyone who has done the Trouble on the home front quest.

What did you do to solve it and how did that turn out? There is at least 10 different ways to finish this quest, just wondering how people went about it.[/quote]

Well...

First of all, I didn't kill Amata's father when I was leaving the Vault, so he was still the Overseer. I got attacked on sight by him and a security officer, so I had no choice but to kill them. So, Amata kicked me out of the Vault.

[quote name='electronicthroat']Right now, I'm trying to destroy the source of the Fire Ants in Grayditch. The problem is ammo is really scarce since obviously they do not carry ammo. I picked up the Scrounger perk. So maybe that will help.

Has anyone else got this perk? Is it good or a waste? Figuring out with perk to pick each level is hard![/quote]
I too am somewhat early on in the game at this exact same point and practically have squat for ammo. The Megaton store is out of Ammo because I bought it all and I ransacked the Super Duper Market when I first started playing. I'm down to shotgun shells, some grenades, some melee weapons, and spikes for a weapon I don't have.

If you're having issues with ammo earlier on, and you have already hit up the Super-Duper Mart and bought everything in Megaton, here are a few other ideas:

1) If you don't already know, there are other settlements throughout the Capital Wasteland. Rivet City, Tenpenny Towers, the Underground and other communities will all have people selling stuff, and someone should have a bunch of ammo to buy. Just keep in mind that the places in and around DC might be a pain to reach early on, considering the wealth of Super Mutants present in the city.

2) Don't forget the caravans! Lucky Harith specifically sells weapons and ammo, but I do think I remember getting some random bits of ammo from the other sellers. If you don't know about the caravans, they are sellers who walk around the Wasteland and trade with various communities. If you're early in the game and haven't hit up the other communities, your best place to find one of them is right outside of Megaton.

3) Sometimes, you will encounter people out in the Wasteland who are selling stuff, as well. They aren't part of the caravan, so you will generally find them in the same place. So, if you see a non-enemy NPC, go over and chat. They might be looking to deal.

4) Try farming areas that had easy enemies that dropped ammo. I honestly cannot remember any good place that is close to Megaton, but if you remember an area where you randomly encountered raiders with guns, try to go back there after awhile. I honestly don't know how long an area will be clear, but for instance, I fast traveled to Fordham Flash Field a bunch and almost everytime, Raiders were there. Unfortunately, I think they just have baseball bats.

EDIT: Oh, and also look for the hollowed-out rock around the back of Megaton. I don't remember the exact location, but you'll find it. Just stay close to the city's walls. Inside, you will find a sniper rifle and some ammo. I also think I got a Stealth boy and some stimpacks. A decent find, especially considering the power of the sniper rifle. Should be great when it comes to dealing with enemies you will face early on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about the "Family Ties" Quest.

Where are you supposed to find the family? I looked in the hideout, the movie place and the other place I was supposed to check but there wasn't anything there. Am I supposed to go further?

[quote name='motuza']I have a question about the "Family Ties" Quest.

Where are you supposed to find the family? I looked in the hideout, the movie place and the other place I was supposed to check but there wasn't anything there. Am I supposed to go further?
[/QUOTE]

They are north across the river from Arefu ( Can't remember the name of the town you get the quest in ) in the Subway metro. The same metro with the 2 ghouls that ask you to get them sugar bombs. In the empty room in there hideout will be a manhole on the ground. You have to enter there and work your way though the tunnels and you will find the family.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
You just gotta be quick. Save right before that point and be ready to enter VATS just as Burke pulls his weapon. I screwed up the first time, but blew him away the next time.
[/quote]

What am I supposed to hit him with and where? Maybe it's because I'm a weak fuck, but I tried shooting the gun out of his hand (didn't work) and I tried shooting him in both the head and torso.

[quote name='pimpinc333']
They are north across the river from Arefu ( Can't remember the name of the town you get the quest in ) in the Subway metro. The same metro with the 2 ghouls that ask you to get them sugar bombs. In the empty room in there hideout will be a manhole on the ground. You have to enter there and work your way though the tunnels and you will find the family.
[/quote]

Thanks, i'll search for them tomorrow! :)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow, that DLC sounds simply awesome. These guys could literally just bleed me dry. Whatever DLC they release for this game, I will buy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely seems to be worth the 800 space dollars.

Yeah, $10 for four to five hours of gameplay, plus new weapons and perks, sounds good to me. Too bad they aren't raising the level limit until Broken Steel. The Pitt sounds really interesting, considering what they said about it not being directly targeted in the nuclear war.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow, that DLC sounds simply awesome. These guys could literally just bleed me dry. Whatever DLC they release for this game, I will buy.[/quote]

Amen. Between Fallout 3 and Rock Band 2, there's no need for me to buy a new game for the next few months.. just more DLC.

How long did Bethesda say that Shivering Isles was going to be, time wise?

I know I beat that in like half the time they said it would, I'm expecting the same with this pack. I'll still get it no doubt though.

Indeed. It's great that the Anchorage DLC is arriving in January. I don't know how much longer I can wait for more to do in Fallout 3. I am running out of mindless, meaningless quests to give myself. I have well over 100 locations found already. Maybe, I will try to cover the entire map.

This game is fantastic, but the story was possibly one of the most disappointing and unfocused I have ever seen in a such a high quality game.

[quote name='Artie Lange']This game is fantastic, but the story was possibly one of the most disappointing and unfocused I have ever seen in a such a high quality game.[/quote]

Uh..what? Maybe you weren't paying attention :)

Story couldn't be better.

My character keeps getting addicted to drugs. Does anyone know how much of something you have to take to get addicted? It seems like only a few times, but I never remember to keep track and I'm not sure if time between uses helps.

[quote name='lolwut?']What am I supposed to hit him with and where? Maybe it's because I'm a weak fuck, but I tried shooting the gun out of his hand (didn't work) and I tried shooting him in both the head and torso.[/quote]
What gun are you using? I got him on the second time using a combat shotgun at point blank range in the head. The first time I used an Assault Rifle but wasn't successful.

Also, I think I was at level 5 when I did this.

[quote name='mike.m']Uh..what? Maybe you weren't paying attention :)

Story couldn't be better.[/QUOTE]

correction: the story was cool until the last few mission. Then it turned to shit. It was like playing an entirely different game.

What up dudes? I'm thinking about grabbing this tomorrow for when I finish this semester. I also might make it the game I get for Christmas.

A few questions though:

1.) I know Fallout 3 is in a post apocalyptic setting so I was wondering, is it similar to Cormac McCarthy's The Road? At least enough to pretend like it is? I loved that book so that would be cool.

2.) I know Oblivion had some bugs when it first came out, did/does this? Have they been fixed or is there a plan for a patch soon?

3.) How big is the map? Bigger than Oblivion's?

4.) Not a question but I hope this is just Oblivion with guns because that would be the best game ever.

[quote name='electronicthroat']My character keeps getting addicted to drugs. Does anyone know how much of something you have to take to get addicted? It seems like only a few times, but I never remember to keep track and I'm not sure if time between uses helps.[/quote]

I don't think it matters how many times you use a drug or how much time is between uses. I do believe each drug (except for Stimpacks and RadAway) and alcoholic beverage has a percentage attached to it, and that determines whether or not you get addicted when you use it. Jet is suppose to have the highest chance of addiction. I am unaware of whether or not Ultrajet is more addictive.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't think it matters how many times you use a drug or how much time is between uses. I do believe each drug (except for Stimpacks and RadAway) and alcoholic beverage has a percentage attached to it, and that determines whether or not you get addicted when you use it. Jet is suppose to have the highest chance of addiction. I am unaware of whether or not Ultrajet is more addictive.[/quote]

Big Daddy Bruce is correct. Each drug has a percentage for the risk of addiction. Jet carries a 50-percent chance. This Fallout 3 Wiki wikipage may help you.

The Fallout 3 Wiki is a great site. I have lost a lot of time lately just browsing through the pages.

According to the page about the DLC, the rifle featured in one of the newly released pics is the M72 Gauss Rifle, a weapon from a couple of the previous Fallout games. If it follows in the footsteps its previous appearances, it should be quite powerful.

[quote name='JJSP']Fire ants can fuck off.[/quote]

Hahaha I HATED that part. I just killed my first Super Mutant Behemoth (aside from the storyline one at the Brotherhood), I love the Fatman.

[quote name='JJSP']Fire ants can fuck off.[/quote]

Might possibly be the biggest pain in the ass, especially if you do it early on, like I did. In hindsight, I should have just left that quest for later. When I found out that
the scientist was responsible for the fire ants
, I wanted to reach through the television and punch him the face.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Might possibly be the biggest pain in the ass, especially if you do it early on, like I did. In hindsight, I should have just left that quest for later. When I found out that
, I wanted to reach through the television and punch him the face.[/QUOTE]
Seriously. I wandered over to Grayditch on accident without knowing what the hell was going on, and heard the familiar pitter patter of ant feet. Next thing I know, it's Dante's fucking Inferno and I'm surrounded by angry insects.

Btw how much money does everyone have? I've got like 6k in cash and tons of extra equipment. Went ahead about bought the infirmary and work table for my house.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Might possibly be the biggest pain in the ass, especially if you do it early on, like I did. In hindsight, I should have just left that quest for later. When I found out that
, I wanted to reach through the television and punch him the face.[/quote]

I did the same thing. I used TONS of frag mines lol.

Yeah, the only thing that kind of saved me was Dogmeat. Him and the ant would go after each other, and I would take the ants out from the side. It will still a bitch getting close, because the ant would often switch its attention back to me.

[quote name='mike.m']Btw how much money does everyone have? I've got like 6k in cash and tons of extra equipment. Went ahead about bought the infirmary and work table for my house.[/quote]

I bought all the crap for my house, and I still have like 7000 caps, I think. I also have a TON of equipment in my house. I just kept stock-piling, because none of the merchants had enough money to take a substantial amount of the crap off my hands. Considering I invested in the caravans (another thing I wasted money on, just because), I will probably dump a bunch of stuff off on them, once the DLC hits.

[quote name='electronicthroat']How do you guys get so many caps? I only have a little over 1000 and I'm at level 7 or 8 (I can't remember right now).[/quote]

That's pretty normal for where you are at. I wouldn't worry too much. As for ways to get a lot of caps...

- Always, always try to use speech to raise the price people are willing to pay you for certain tasks.

- Pre-war Books! No, not the burnt-up, destroyed books that are extremely plentiful across the Wastleland. These are rare books (generically called "Pre-War Books") that survived the war and the 200 years that followed. You will get a mini side-quest from a BoS scribe located in the Arlington Library, which will reward you 100 caps for turning over these books. The best things about this little task are 1) there are some books you can find in the library and 2) generally, places that have one of them usually will have a few.

- There are a few people throughout the Wastleland that will buy scrap metal from you. They don't give you 100 caps for it, but at the same time, it is very, very plentiful. You'll find it in tool boxes, on shelves, from dead robots...everywhere! So, just hold onto your scrap metal, which merchants give crap rates for, and sell it to whoever gives the best price (I don't remember who that is).

Again, though, I wouldn't worry about money at the level you are at. As the game goes along, you will pick up so much crap, money won't be an issue. Plus, the weapons and armor you get off enemies will be better as you level up and face harder opponents, so that will also be worth a bit more when you sell them.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']- Pre-war Books! No, not the burnt-up, destroyed books that are extremely plentiful across the Wastleland. These are rare books (generically called "Pre-War Books") that survived the war and the 200 years that followed. You will get a mini side-quest from a BoS scribe located in the Arlington Library, which will reward you 100 caps for turning over these books. The best things about this little task are 1) there are some books you can find in the library and 2) generally, places that have one of them usually will have a few.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this bit of info, I was just selling them dirt cheap to random people. I think I'll head over to the Arlington library right now. :D

[quote name='mike.m']Hahaha I HATED that part. I just killed my first Super Mutant Behemoth (aside from the storyline one at the Brotherhood), I love the Fatman.[/quote]

Watch out for the radiation afterwards. ;) I didn't, had taken damage, and died from said delicious aftertaste. :oops:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Thanks for this bit of info, I was just selling them dirt cheap to random people. I think I'll head over to the Arlington library right now. :D[/quote]

No problem. I got pretty lucky. I had gotten to the library fairly early. Plus, I really wasn't selling anything, so when I checked out the locker at my apartment, I actually had four or five more books lying around. Not a bad amount of caps for an item that I know that there has to be at least 20 or 25 of around the Wasteland.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Damn, if anything good comes out of the GECK (the PC level editor), I might have to break down and buy the PC version.[/quote]

u should get it anyway
theres DEFINITELY going to be good mods comin to the pc version

[quote name='yukafls']What does the geck do[/quote]

mods
which can be just about anything like overhauling the gameplay to new quests buildings characters etc

bread's done
Back