Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

My Dogmeat died from at the museum. He lasted pretty much the whole quest, including the way there with all the subways.

I always tag Dogmeat in VATS during a huge battle to see if he's down on HP, and if he has only a few remaining, I just rush up and give him a stimpack.

I dont believe it...I played this game so long, I've done EVERYTHING. I just have one more bobblehead to find but that's it and I'm finishing the last quest of the main story.

[quote name='joe2187']I dont believe it...I played this game so long, I've done EVERYTHING. I just have one more bobblehead to find but that's it and I'm finishing the last quest of the main story.[/quote]

Not too long till the DLC comes out...

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']What level are you at? I found the first 5 levels or so pretty tedious (due to the difficulty of fighting damn near anything) but after that I got hooked. I'm almost 40 hours in now and loving every minute of it.[/quote]

Yeahh I got to like Level Three
Set the Megaton Bomb up to blow
left megaton and then never played it again.

I have a question about the Tenpenny tower quest.

I let Roy into the tower to kill Tenpenny, but Roy died during the battle. Would he have been of any further use if he had lived? Any new quests or anything?

[quote name='joe2187']I dont believe it...I played this game so long, I've done EVERYTHING. I just have one more bobblehead to find but that's it and I'm finishing the last quest of the main story.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, I hope it's not the
bobble head found inside of raven rock

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Oh dear, I hope it's not the
bobble head found inside of raven rock
[/quote]

Nope, got that one. as well as the one in the vault.

Finished the story...the game was amazing.

I still have some sidequests to finish, but I think I'm going to take a little break from the game.

I cant believe I've spent nearly 70 hours over 3 characters. It just feels pretty wierd, I dont even know where all my time went. I too have only one bobblehead to go, and its the one in the National Guard Depot. I think I've finally hit the FO3 block though, it just feels tedious trying to get that last one, and I've branched back out to playing my many other backlogged titles.

Now that I have beat the game I am going to kill every single NPC in the game in every city.

I did that in Oblivion and it made for some halarious gaming.

I gave up on bobbleheads after 10 because I knew I wouldnt be up for getting the last couple. But the ending was a bit.....blah but the other 50 hours of gameplay was good so I guess that makes up for it.

Cant wait until DLC.

Alright, so, I'm
At the part after leaving megaton and going to look for Dad, I'm at the train station. I broke the lock to the fence where the Zombie things attack you, and I can't find the key. Am I royally fucked?

[quote name='Soodmeg']Now that I have beat the game I am going to kill every single NPC in the game in every city.

I did that in Oblivion and it made for some halarious gaming.

I gave up on bobbleheads after 10 because I knew I wouldnt be up for getting the last couple. But the ending was a bit.....blah but the other 50 hours of gameplay was good so I guess that makes up for it.

Cant wait until DLC.[/quote]

I might have to give this option a whirl. After I lost Walter in Megaton I became terrified of bugs and glitches. The bethesda forum is downright depressing with the number of people complaining about freezes and bugs that prevent people from completing the main story. I won't have to worry about people dying if I kill them before they decide to spawn 50 feet in the air.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I might have to give this option a whirl. After I lost Walter in Megaton I became terrified of bugs and glitches. The bethesda forum is downright depressing with the number of people complaining about freezes and bugs that prevent people from completing the main story. I won't have to worry about people dying if I kill them before they decide to spawn 50 feet in the air.[/quote]

Only problems I had were a couple npc's jumping to their deaths in Megaton, nobody important, and Liberty Prime getting stuck on the side of the bridge in front of some cars. I just started from the last save and he was fine after that.

As you can see by my signature, I've put a TON of time into Fallout 3 over the past few days (on PC). I'm obsessed. At first I wasn't wild about it because my character was weak and everything seemed like a chore. Now I'm right before the last mission in the story and am going back to do some of the side quests before the game ends. It's really fun. I'm playing though as a bad/neutral character. I just do whatever I feel like doing, haha.

Also, love the music on Galaxy News Radio.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']As you can see by my signature, I've put a TON of time into Fallout 3 over the past few days (on PC). I'm obsessed. At first I wasn't wild about it because my character was weak and everything seemed like a chore. Now I'm right before the last mission in the story and am going back to do some of the side quests before the game ends. It's really fun. I'm playing though as a bad/neutral character. I just do whatever I feel like doing, haha.

Also, love the music on Galaxy News Radio.[/quote]

After a while the GNR just becomes something in the background that you stop paying attention to, but I wish there were a little more variety in the music.

Would have been nice if they did have more music, but the tracks they had were really great. For some reason, I never really turned down GNR until the very, very end. By then, yes, it became annoying.

I never came across the conversation, but someone on another forum said that Three Dog has an "in-game" explanation as to why he plays so few songs. It's because that's all he could recover.

Near the beginning
I'm playing the PC version so maybe it's a PC bug -- I hacked Colin's computer to get info about my dad, the next quest objective is to talk to Colin about my dad but when I find Colin there's no option to talk about my dad... I've tried all the convo options. I advanced time to talk to him both outside his bar and inside, no option to talk about my dad but the box next to that part of the quest remains unfilled. Is it a bug?

[quote name='paddlefoot']I might have to give this option a whirl. After I lost Walter in Megaton I became terrified of bugs and glitches. The bethesda forum is downright depressing with the number of people complaining about freezes and bugs that prevent people from completing the main story. I won't have to worry about people dying if I kill them before they decide to spawn 50 feet in the air.[/quote]

My Walter went missing too during my first playthrough, I was a bit pissed since I had a just came back from the RoboCo Factory, and well, I think we all know what we can find there.

Second playthrough everything seems to be running fine, just having some FO3 "players block" I finally went for all 20 bobbleheads, but now Im at one Behemoth left and I'm back at "Dont wanna play this anymore."

Is there anyway to speed up time besides getting a bed at the inn in megaton. I literally just started this game and need to sell some stuff Im carrying if I want to carry anymore, but it is the middle of the night and I don't have 100 caps for a bed. Thanks.

Is there anyway to speed up time besides getting a bed at the inn in megaton. I literally just started this game and need to sell some stuff Im carrying if I want to carry anymore, but it is the middle of the night and I don't have 100 caps for a bed. Thanks.
There's a way you can "wait" if no enemies are around. For the PC version you just press 'T' and specify the number of hours you want to wait. I don't know how the 360 version works though. Also, unlike sleeping, waiting doesn't heal you.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']There's a way you can "wait" if no enemies are around. For the PC version you just press 'T' and specify the number of hours you want to wait. I don't know how the 360 version works though. Also, unlike sleeping, waiting doesn't heal you.[/quote]

Great. Thanks. It's the back button on the 360. Checked in settings.

I have a few more achievements to unlock but I really don't want to.. i'll play the DLC but I don't know if i have the patience to go explore 100 locations and all those type achievements.

If you start exploring and following the roads, you can find many locations. I remember I was at around 80-90 locations myself after completing all the side quests and stuff. After that I started just walking around and following the road up north, and I found 100 locations in no time.

Holy shit I just broke 48 hours in game. This is the longest I've ever played any game (previous longest was Mass Effect @ 38 hrs) and I am loving it thus far.

Just finished the Nuka Cola Challenge and it was kind of a pain in the ass. I almost quit after gathering 20 bottles but stuck with it even though I didn't need the schematic. I am currently looking for the source of the Fire Ants in the subway system after finding the kid's dad that ran up and asked for help.

Before ever starting the actual story I was just roaming the Wastelends killing/finding stuff and hit 100 locations a long time ago.

What quest do you get Dogmeat on? I've never even encountered him..

I do have Fawkes though, and he's badass and a half.

//edit: I hit 53 hours on the game, this is also the longest I've played a game. I only think I put 40 hours into Oblivion.

I really, really hope Fallout 3 never ends. Ever. I can't wait until the remove the level cap.

[quote name='Scorch']What quest do you get Dogmeat on? I've never even encountered him..

I do have Fawkes though, and he's badass and a half.

//edit: I hit 53 hours on the game, this is also the longest I've played a game. I only think I put 40 hours into Oblivion.

I really, really hope Fallout 3 never ends. Ever. I can't wait until the remove the level cap.[/quote]

He's found in Scrapyard, which is on the way to Minefield, one of many locations you go to for the Wasteland Survival Guide.

I put in about 80 hours over the spread of 3 characters. So much time, but since I finally got my 1000, I've put it down to start on the rest of my backlog. I plan to pick it up whenever I feel like randomly exploring the few areas that I havent touched yet.

[quote name='Scorch']What quest do you get Dogmeat on? I've never even encountered him..[/quote]

You get him in the Scrapyard. I don't have him yet. I came across him a while back and I saw him from a distance running around. I sniped him and then he came running after me. When he got up to me I shotgunned the shit out of him and when he fell over I couldn't search him and realized he had 1 bar of life left. I kept shooting him and he got up and fucking killed me. I was like WTF? When my game loaded again I just acoided the scrapyard for fear of the deathless dog. After I found out about him I felt like a moron. Haven't had a chance to go back to the scrapyard since.

[quote name='Malik112099']You get him in the Scrapyard. I don't have him yet. I came across him a while back and I saw him from a distance running around. I sniped him and then he came running after me. When he got up to me I shotgunned the shit out of him and when he fell over I couldn't search him and realized he had 1 bar of life left. I kept shooting him and he got up and fucking killed me. I was like WTF? When my game loaded again I just acoided the scrapyard for fear of the deathless dog. After I found out about him I felt like a moron. Haven't had a chance to go back to the scrapyard since.[/quote]

Hahaha, well, the developers set it up so he couldnt die until you find him. In that way there's no accidental death by Raiders or something.

[quote name='Link927']Hahaha, well, the developers set it up so he couldnt die until you find him. In that way there's no accidental death by Raiders or something.[/quote]
Unfortunately, Dogmeat dies pretty easily, especially if you encounter the Enclave while he's with you. By the way, 112 Hours of Fallout 3. Help me. :whistle2:#

[quote name='ZasKuLL']Unfortunately, Dogmeat dies pretty easily, especially if you encounter the Enclave while he's with you. By the way, 112 Hours of Fallout 3. Help me. :whistle2:#[/quote]

I've just reached a point where I just set him as a guard dog in my Megaton house XD I think he's suppose to have around 500hp, which is pretty good, but he basically has no defense while rushing the enemy. In any case, I'm reached the point where you can pretty much take on anything with some pretty good armor and a good weapon, and a few hundred stimpacks if things get too out of hand ;)

Yeah, Dogmeat was definitely useful when I was weak and taking on weaker enemies. He stinks later on, but as was pointed out, you're so powerful and have so many damn stimpacks, it doesn't really matter. I didn't even use a companion later in the game. I had Star Paladin Cross for about a minute, and it was just an annoyance.

Just started playing this on the PC a couple days ago. I'm about 8 hours in, level 6. I just ran through Gunwich to get the skill book and bobblehead. That place was fucking freaky. I love all these little remnants of the world lying around and records of what went on as people were trying to survive. fucking fantastic.

Yeah, the records and holotapes really add to the game if you take the time to read/listen to them. I thought the Dunwich building was pretty interesting too.

BTW, evanft, did you know that you could link Fallout 3 for PC to your Xbox Live account and get achievements for it? That's what I'm doing. Just saying because I noticed it wasn't in your gamertag.

Yup, I didnt read any consoles or read notes / holotapes during my first playthrough but during my second I've been trying to get more, and it still doesnt feel like you have the whole story. Part of it is doing unmarked sidequests, some NPC mentions something and you forget about it for a while, and in the end, it comes together.

I Wish there were more levels like Tranquility Lane. Easily my favorite video game moment of 2008 since it was soooo "What the fuck?"

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Yeah, the records and holotapes really add to the game if you take the time to read/listen to them. I thought the Dunwich building was pretty interesting too.[/quote]

Indeed. One of my favorite aspects of the game, actually. I really liked the 911 transcripts and the nurse's logs you get to read at the police station.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Wish there were more levels like Tranquility Lane. Easily my favorite video game moment of 2008 since it was soooo "What the fuck?"[/quote]

HOLY SHIT! I hopped on CAG to post about Tranquility Lane just now! When i first saw it I seriously said "What the fuck is this?!" When
Betty's voice changed
was SOOO fucked up too!

[quote name='Malik112099']HOLY SHIT! I hopped on CAG to post about Tranquility Lane just now! When i first saw it I seriously said "What the fuck is this?!" When
Betty's voice changed
was SOOO fucked up too![/quote]
Curious, but how did you end up beating that part?
I Didn't fully realize the abandoned house until the very end where I thought it would better present itself. So instead I accidentally hacked and killed everyone in the neighborhood. Poor Mrs. Henderson, she just wanted to bake me a pie and I got her set on fire because of it...

bread's done
Back