Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

So, I finally downloaded BS and loaded the game back up for the first time since beating OA. All I know is that it was nice to kill something and finally see the "+ xp" pop up again. I'm glad I didn't do The Pitt, yet, so I know I have more opportunities to level up.

Now, one day, when this game is completely out of my memory, I'll have to go back and do my evil run through.

fuckfuckfuck

Can anyone help me out? I'm in the final stage of the main game (and was really excited about Broken Steel, but I'm doing "Take It Back!"

Sarah and I killed Colonel Autumn and his guards in the Purifier Chamber, Dr. Li gave us the info about the purifier going critical via intercom, and that's it. Sarah says we need to "secure the room before we do anything else." There's only us two in the damn room, the purifier doors are locked, and I can't do anything about it. I've tried loading previous saves, fast-traveling elsewhere while following Liberty Prime and going back, etc but nothing seems to work. I've played through this game twice already and had no problems with the end.

Okay sorry for the vent, any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully I managed to avoid the massive spoiler above me after mere glance. Spoiler tag it for the love of God before anyone else who hasn't beat the game yet reads it. ;\

So far I have done two of the main quests on Broken Steel, and 3 side quests, and I have to say I am enjoying it, but not as much as I liked The Pitt. It is better than Operation Anchorage, but not quite as fun as The Pitt. The new level cap does make it much more of a value than the other two DLC.

OK...holy fucking shit.....

Just finished Broken Steel, and that last quest is one hell of an ending. Now THAT is how a final quest should play out!!! I take the above post back, it is better than the Pitt...

It was hard as well...I almost lowered the difficulty a few times. Best DLC of all time.

Got both The Pitt and BS so I've been working through both of them. Did the first quest for BS and the Aqua side quests. Enjoying that so far since it is a nice extension of the main game.

Took a break to hit The Pitt. Really enjoying it so far. Just spent the time to get the 100 ingots. Took forever. Finally caved in order to find the last two that I missed. But so far, I like the stylized differences of The Pitt.

[quote name='Flak']They fixed Broken Steel?[/quote]

I still get the occasional freeze which I didn't get prior to Broken Steel, so probably not. The achievements unlock however.

Getting the steel ingots achievement for The Pitt, I had thought it would unlock after I picked up number 100. I had a mild panic attack when it didn't.

Yeah, I get some slowdowns and freezes, which I never got in my 70+ hours playing previous to downloading Broken Steel.

And yep, I was like "What the fuck" when the ingot achievement didn't unlock. Then, it didn't even unlock when I handed them in. Finally, about 30 seconds later, it popped up.

You know, this game is so much fun, and there is so much to do and see, I sometimes think the little details get overlooked. I absolutely love the little stories that often unravel through various computers and holotapes. Most games, I don't even bother with such crap, if they even have it. But I love the ones in this game. My favorites are the nurse's logs you find outside of the police station and the plant manager's private entries in The Pitt's steelyard.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, I get some slowdowns and freezes, which I never got in my 70+ hours playing previous to downloading Broken Steel.

And yep, I was like "What the fuck" when the ingot achievement didn't unlock. Then, it didn't even unlock when I handed them in. Finally, about 30 seconds later, it popped up.

You know, this game is so much fun, and there is so much to do and see, I sometimes think the little details get overlooked. I absolutely love the little stories that often unravel through various computers and holotapes. Most games, I don't even bother with such crap, if they even have it. But I love the ones in this game. My favorites are the nurse's logs you find outside of the police station and the plant manager's private entries in The Pitt's steelyard.[/quote]

It dawned on me that the Holotape concept must be gaining ground with developers. They use it in various ways for Fallout, Fable, and Bioshock. I really enjoy it it since it brings me back to the Baldur's Gate time when you could learn completely superfluous details about the world. I guess by making them recordings, they understand you might actually want to do more than just read small files.

I finally reached Rivet City last night...while at first it looks like a pretty cool city, it's actually a pain in the ass on the inside. It's like a freakin' maze...I hate looking for people or locations there, it takes me forever to figure out where I was when I first met them or discovered a store or a room :bomb:

Also...attempted to meet Pinkerton...Mirelurks fucking suck ass! :bomb:

Is it possible you can kill all of them and actually meet Pinkerton? I'd like to try that after I do OA or something, I need better gear.

Mirelurks are pussies. Just unload a clip into their face and you'll be chomping on their radiated meat in no time.

P.S. The Pinkerton-
Harkness
quest is legit pretty sick.

If you save the quests that need Pinkerton for farther down the line, you can unlock the exit which I believe is a Hard door? Makes getting to him a lot simpler.

Also, just got my 20 bobbleheads today. Completed my 1000GS for the reg game, just need to fill out BS achievements and i'll have every possible achievement for what i've downloaded. (I still can't justify spending 10 bucks on anchorage.)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hmmm, of course you can meet Pinkerton. He's an essential part of a couple of sidequests. I think you're confusing him with another character.[/QUOTE]
I thought Pinkerton was supposed to be a ghost who lived in the hull or something. I don't remember ever getting down there.

Nah, he's a real dude.

To get to him,
you have to access the broken half of the ship underwater, and then proceed through the ship. At the end, you'll find him AND the door to the outside to make getting to him a lot easier.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']If you save the quests that need Pinkerton for farther down the line, you can unlock the exit which I believe is a Hard door? Makes getting to him a lot simpler.

Also, just got my 20 bobbleheads today. Completed my 1000GS for the reg game, just need to fill out BS achievements and i'll have every possible achievement for what i've downloaded. (I still can't justify spending 10 bucks on anchorage.)[/QUOTE]

It's a very hard lock, but yeah, you're right. Better off waiting down the line, even though I didn't really find that part hard. Very early in game, yeah, mirelurks are a real pain, but once you get decent enough stats and a decent gun, a couple shots to the face should do the job. Just make sure you're getting a clear shot.

As far as OA goes, yeah, it's not nearly as a good as the other two DLC packs, but I still thought it was worth my 10 bucks. You get some great equipment, some decent firefights, and a pretty cool line from the American War Correspondent. Everyone who played it knows what I'm talking about.

If you get Broken Steel and play from the beginning, does anything else change other than the level cap, or is it all saved for after you finish the main story?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']If you get Broken Steel and play from the beginning, does anything else change other than the level cap, or is it all saved for after you finish the main story?[/QUOTE]

The only changes I noticed was that you'll see hostile Enclave troops earlier and some of Three Dog's dialogue is different. Other than that it seemed pretty much the same as far as I could tell.

Got all three level 30 achievements within 60 seconds of each other. All you need to do is use the perk that changes your karma to good, neutral, or evil as your level 30 perk. Load last save file, repeat. Simple.

So, I'm a newbie to the Fallout world and I have Fallout 3 on its way to my house. A couple of questions before I start:

1) Is the strategy guide a good buy for this game?
2) Is there anything (spolier free) that I need to know before I fire up my first game?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='ZForce915']So, I'm a newbie to the Fallout world and I have Fallout 3 on its way to my house. A couple of questions before I start:

2) Is there anything (spolier free) that I need to know before I fire up my first game?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
I don't buy Strategy Guides purely because of GameFAQS; They pretty much cover anything I need help on, but if that's not your thing, then I'll probably recommend it if you want to cover everything in Fallout 3, otherwise you'll be spending A LOT of time running around.

As for the beginning, make sure to create a separate save before the exit (you'll know where). When it tells you this is it, that is the last time you'll get to redistribute your skill/SPECIAL points without a certain perk(pertains to SPECIAL points only), so make sure it's what you want!

Also, get the comprehension perk ASAP and DO NOT read ANY books before doing so, otherwise you'll cheat yourself out of a good amount of skill points. You'll probably want to invest less points in lockpicking, small guns, and...I forget, but there's a lot of books for these, so you'll end up with excess amounts.

Expect to spend 100+ hours if you want to go 100%.

Don't bother buying a guide... just print out a free one from GameFAQs. Check out the bobble head FAQ and make sure to get the two bobble heads that you can't come back for if you miss them. Also, max out lock picking and computer hacking early in the game.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Don't bother buying a guide... just print out a free one from GameFAQs. Check out the bobble head FAQ and make sure to get the two bobble heads that you can't come back for if you miss them. Also, max out lock picking and computer hacking early in the game.[/QUOTE]

Printing out GameFAQs guides defeats the purpose, ctrl+f is necessary for those.

Oh yea, if you're looking to pick up multiple partners, consult a FAQ for that before you start so you know what to do and what not to do when interacting with certain characters. It's sorta makes the game broken (not save corrupting, but it makes everything a heck of a lot easier), although it does "make up" for it in the fact that you can't take advantage of it til' late in the game.

However, there are certain things you need to do throughout the game in order to set it up properly.

Just played through The Pitt and Broken Steel this weekend. Both were definitely a lot better than Operation Anchorage. Broken Steel was just as good as the Fallout 3 main game in my opinion.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't really bother with partners. They ended up being more of a pain than a help. Early in the game, I used Dogmeat, because he was good for tanking and taking some pressure off me, especially when I was fighting the fire ants. But eventually, I got strong enough that I didn't need the help.

[quote name='ZForce915']So, I'm a newbie to the Fallout world and I have Fallout 3 on its way to my house. A couple of questions before I start:

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]Just use this site http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout_3

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't really bother with partners. They ended up being more of a pain than a help. Early in the game, I used Dogmeat, because he was good for tanking and taking some pressure off me, especially when I was fighting the fire ants. But eventually, I got strong enough that I didn't need the help.[/QUOTE]

Fawkes destroyed everything for me.. made it too easy sometimes.

Actually the purpose is not having to pay for guides... so no, it doesn't defeat the purpose haha. :cool:

Seriously, once you level up, Mirelurks are on the same level as the huge rats early on in the game. If you're weak, use fire. It hurts them the most (or seems to, anyway).

Still haven't bought The Pitt or BS.

[quote name='Scorch']Seriously, once you level up, Mirelurks are on the same level as the huge rats early on in the game. If you're weak, use fire. It hurts them the most (or seems to, anyway).

Still haven't bought The Pitt or BS.[/QUOTE]

check out tepid sewers when you're about level 15. Nothin but Mirelurk kings there and maybe one or two mirelurks. There's even an enclave officer with a deathclaw. It's a great place to gain XP especially if you're playing hard or very hard

That's something I was going to ask. I'm level 28 right now and trying to get to Level 30. I beat the Pitt and the BS missions and I don't have OA. The only quest I have left is Reilly's Rangers. You guys have any suggestions on how to collect experience quickly so that I'm not just grinding the Wasteland?

Hmm Amazon you tease, you say the OA/Pitt pack is available as of next Tuesday but then you tell me you won't ship until June 1st. I'm getting mixed signals and blue balls.

Played through Alaska this weekend, it sucked they gave you health and ammo around every freaking corner and dumbed it down way to much.

Glad to hear the Pitt and Broken Steel DLC are much better. I'm gonna wait for a deal on them or till I get bored playing everything else. :)

We are pleased to announce that Fallout® 3 downloadable content (DLC) is coming to PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system. We have been working on implementing it for a while and look forward to bringing it to PS3 gamers via the PlayStation Network. Operation: Anchorage will be released for PS3 in late June, followed by the release of The Pitt and Broken Steel 4-6 weeks apart. Release dates will be forthcoming.

In addition, a new update will be released for PS3 that will allow users to download and play the new DLC. The release date for that update will be announced at a later date.

There are also two new DLCs planned for all three platforms:

· Point Lookout – Explore a massive new swampland area filled with new quests and content.

· Mothership Zeta – The aliens have returned, and they’re pissed. Experience an alien abduction first hand and find out if you’re tough enough to survive.

Point Lookout will be available in late June for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Point Lookout will be available on PS3 after the first three DLCs have been released.

Mothership Zeta is scheduled for release in late July for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Mothership Zeta will be available on PS3 after Point Lookout.

Finally, new Fallout 3 products will be available at retail this year.

Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #1 includes The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC on May 26.

The Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #2 includes Broken Steel and Point Lookout on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC in August.

Retail versions of the game add-on packs for PS3 are not possible and the DLC will only be available for download online via PlayStation Network.

A Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be available in October. It will include the original game plus all five add-ons for $59.99 for Xbox 360 and PS3, and $49.99 for PC.
Saw this on GAF just now and thought everybody would like to know. :cool:

This is absolutely terrible news. I had hoped that once I hit level 30, I would be able to shelve this game indefinitely. Now there are potentially more packs on the way. I might as well just start snorting cocaine so that I'll be distracted from Fallout.

IGN: What about for Mothership Zeta?

Todd Howard: If you poke around Fallout 3, you can find a crashed UFO with an alien inside that is broadcasting a signal your Pip-Boy picks up. This is where you can get the alien blaster. Well, Mothership Zeta is answering the distress call. You get abducted and the whole thing takes place on a giant alien spacecraft. It's one of those classic 50's B movie type things, but with a harder edge.

:whee: :whee: :whee:

Thank god for a release date on the GOTY, I doubt they will do the whole disc thing due to all the DLC trading that went on with Oblivion but one can dream. I'll be holding out till then.

Hahaha, I just finished reading the IGN article and the last bit is great:

IGN: Once again, we must ask: will any of these downloads offer up Dogmeat Armor?

Todd Howard: How much would you pay for one that uses Liberty Prime's voice chip and makes Dogmeat talk like a giant robot while blasting people to chunky soup?

[quote name='tiredfornow']IGN: What about for Mothership Zeta?

Todd Howard: If you poke around Fallout 3, you can find a crashed UFO with an alien inside that is broadcasting a signal your Pip-Boy picks up. This is where you can get the alien blaster. Well, Mothership Zeta is answering the distress call. You get abducted and the whole thing takes place on a giant alien spacecraft. It's one of those classic 50's B movie type things, but with a harder edge.

:whee: :whee: :whee:[/QUOTE]

:whee: :whee: :whee:

Well, maybe it's time to dump my vanilla copy of Fallout 3 and wait for the GOTY edition. I'm kind of playing through it at the moment but it isn't like I can't just pick it up again later this year.

[quote name='tiredfornow']IGN: What about for Mothership Zeta?

:whee: :whee: :whee:[/QUOTE]

That sounds fucking incredible!!!!

So are they saying that the spaceship is already in the game, the DLC just abducts you, or the DLC places the spaceship somewhere in the map for you to find and get abducted?

bread's done
Back