Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Version 2.0

I have an interesting situation. My league has 2 D/ST slots and I currently have the Ravens and Giants. We have a couple of effers who went ahead and hoarded the remaining defenses after the draft (in the pre-season). I'm thinking of picking up a defense to replace the Giants for this week since they are going up against Indy. Here are my choices (don't laugh too hard):

Rams @ Oakland
Buccaneers @ Carolina
Browns vs Kansas City
Lions vs Philadelphia
Jags @ San Diego

Should I just gut it out with the Giants or flip a coin and pick up one of the available Defenses? BTW, the Giants D is projected at -7 points (-4 for 500+ yds allowed and -4 for 35+ pts allowed).

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']So... Spiller or Shonn Greene? What is everyone thinking?

Thanks to the poster that chimed in already.[/QUOTE]I'd definitely go with Greene. Not only is Spiller going up against a very tough D, but the Bills could fall way behind early and abandon the run. I think Spiller will have some nice weeks before the season is over, but I don't expect this to be one of them.

[quote name='emg28']I have an interesting situation. My league has 2 D/ST slots and I currently have the Ravens and Giants. We have a couple of effers who went ahead and hoarded the remaining defenses after the draft (in the pre-season). I'm thinking of picking up a defense to replace the Giants for this week since they are going up against Indy. Here are my choices (don't laugh too hard):

Rams @ Oakland
Buccaneers @ Carolina
Browns vs Kansas City
Lions vs Philadelphia
Jags @ San Diego

Should I just gut it out with the Giants or flip a coin and pick up one of the available Defenses? BTW, the Giants D is projected at -7 points (-4 for 500+ yds allowed and -4 for 35+ pts allowed).[/QUOTE]You know, I was all set to recommend going with Cleveland, but then I looked back at some numbers from last season and saw that the Browns and Chiefs faced each other in Week 15, and it was a shootout. Cleveland won, 41-34, but in that game Cassel threw for 331 yards and 2 TDs and Jamal Charles ran for 154 yards, including a 47 yard TD. So forget them. I guess I'm going to say roll the dice and go with the Rams. Yes, they're bad, but they may be the only option without a nightmare matchup. Then again, if you want to take the long view and can afford to hold onto them all year, Tampa could help you in Week 15 (typically a fantasy playoff week) That week Baltimore hosts the Saints, the Giants host the Eagles, but the Bucs will be hosting the Lions.

Which D/ST should I go with this week: Jets vs. NE or Carolina vs. TB.

Jets D looked good last week (as usual), but Cromartie and Wilson looked very vulnerable and I'm sure Tom Brady will attack. Not to mention the loss of Jenkins.

Carolina gave up 31 to the Giants, but also had 3 picks, 1 sack, safety, and FR and will be facing a much weaker offense in TB.

The Jets are a much better defense, but the matchups have me second guessing! The weekly projected in my league have Carolina ranked considerably higher this week.....Any extra advice?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']So... Spiller or Shonn Greene? What is everyone thinking?

Thanks to the poster that chimed in already.[/QUOTE]

Greene all the way. Spiller I think will end up being a bust at RB and that they will go back to Fred Jackson. Don't get me wrong, Spiller was amazing in college but in the pros I couldn't see him playing anything other than Return Man. He is too small and requires open space to be deadly; the pros wont give him much open space (see Reggie Bush).

L. Fitzgerald @ATL
H. Nicks @IND
D. McFadden vs. STL
C. Ochocinco vs. BAL

One of these guys has to sit. I have 2 WR spots, 2 RB spots and 1 W/RB spot. I'm actually leaning towards sitting Ochocinco against the Ravens and going with McFadden in the W/RB slot. My only concern is that Nicks has not been practicing but the Giants should be throwing it on Sunday night. Thoughts?

In case it matters, my other RBs are F. Gore, P. Thomas and S. Greene (currently benched).

[quote name='javeryh']L. Fitzgerald @ATL
H. Nicks @IND
D. McFadden vs. STL
C. Ochocinco vs. BAL

One of these guys has to sit. I have 2 WR spots, 2 RB spots and 1 W/RB spot. I'm actually leaning towards sitting Ochocinco against the Ravens and going with McFadden in the W/RB slot. My only concern is that Nicks has not been practicing but the Giants should be throwing it on Sunday night. Thoughts?

In case it matters, my other RBs are F. Gore, P. Thomas and S. Greene (currently benched).[/QUOTE]

Nicks practiced a bit on Friday, and he expects to play Sunday night. Barring his ankle ballooning up on Sunday (it hasn't yet, so why should it now?), he'll be there. Remember, he injured it in the second quarter last week and still played the rest of the game (and scored). Ochocinco has a fairly tough match-up (well, his quarterback does; the Ravens' secondary is beatable)so he might be the most sittable. I'm still not on the McFadden bandwagon (show me a few weeks of productivity first), but he does have a very beatable defense to run against.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']agreed, in a PPR you gotta go with forte.[/QUOTE]

Only if you think that Mike Martz is going to keep up the week 1 playcalling. Based on the entire 2009 Season Fortr is one of the WORST PPR league options at RB.

[quote name='ZForce915']Only if you think that Mike Martz is going to keep up the week 1 playcalling. Based on the entire 2009 Season Fortr is one of the WORST PPR league options at RB.[/QUOTE]

That was last year, before they brought in Martz. When they've got a new coach calling plays, last year is nothing to go off of. Week one showed that Martz wants to go to Forte. Why not go off that data that is relevant instead of old data that means nothing now?

Playing in an 8team PPR league trying to decide between
Phillip Rivers or Michael Vick for starting QB
Miles Austin is in as WR1
WR2 cant decided between Marques Colston or Steve Smith CAR
Flex is between Michael Turner ATL and Darren McFadden OAK
any help?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I'd personally go Phil Rivers, Colston, Turner[/QUOTE]Agreed. Rivers and Turner without question, I think both are in for huge weeks. I think Colston vs. Smith is a bit more of a coin toss, only because New Orleans spreads it around so much, so on any given week, Colston can explode... or fizzle. Still, I'd go with Colston.

I'm sharing javeryh's concern about Hakeem Nicks this week. Spoony, I read the report about him practicing Friday, too, and I agree that he'll probably play. But... since it's a Sunday night game, I'm worried that if he's suddenly made inactive, I won't be able to replace him, and will be screwed. I just picked up Legedu Naanee off waivers this week. I'm wondering if Naanee might be a "safer" choice to start. I've already got Rivers at QB, and the Jacksonville matchup (and them coming off an upset loss in Week 1) has me excited for big things from him. That could potentially mean another nice week for Naanee. Plus, the Giants may just feed Bradshaw and Jacobs all game long against the Colts sad run D. Then again, I'm the genius who sat Nicks in Week 1 in favor of Jabar Gaffney because of his matchup against the Jags. :roll:

So, Hakeem Nicks or Legedu Naanee?

[quote name='Lexicon']Playing in an 8team PPR league trying to decide between
Phillip Rivers or Michael Vick for starting QB
Miles Austin is in as WR1
WR2 cant decided between Marques Colston or Steve Smith CAR
Flex is between Michael Turner ATL and Darren McFadden OAK
any help?[/QUOTE]

im starting vick this week. id say rivers any other week, but the eagles are playing detroit. hes going to throw and run all over them.

[quote name='javeryh']I'd go with Naanee- he is Rivers's primary target without Jackson. I think he is going to have a big year.[/QUOTE]

Week 1 Targets:
Malcom Floyd - 12
Legedu Naanee - 8

Just because Naanee had the better game last week, it doesn't mean he's the #1 target. Not saying he's not a good option, just making sure we have our stats straight. Floyd didn't come through in week 1, but until Rivers goes away from him, he's #1 (well, after Gates, of course).

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Week 1 Targets:
Malcom Floyd - 12
Legedu Naanee - 8

Just because Naanee had the better game last week, it doesn't mean he's the #1 target. Not saying he's not a good option, just making sure we have our stats straight. Floyd didn't come through in week 1, but until Rivers goes away from him, he's #1 (well, after Gates, of course).[/QUOTE]Would you start Naanee over Nicks this week, though, with Nicks missing a couple practices and going against a team that can't stop the run?

[quote name='Danimal']Would you start Naanee over Nicks this week, though, with Nicks missing a couple practices and going against a team that can't stop the run?[/QUOTE]

I would start Nicks. I like him better overall than Naanee for the whole season to begin with. I think New York will still throw the ball a bit because Indy will score points. Nicks is the Giants' legitimate big play receiver (Steve Smith is a possession guy) and should regularly get sizable chunks. I also think Floyd will have the better week than Naanee this week as a bounce back from a pretty quiet week 1. I think you'll be ok either way, but week in, week out, if you ask me to pick between the two, I will pick Nicks until Naanee has proven otherwise consistently.

[quote name='Danimal']Would you start Naanee over Nicks this week, though, with Nicks missing a couple practices and going against a team that can't stop the run?[/QUOTE]

Primary receiver vs. second receiver...primary always wins. Nicks will be fine and get more looks than Naanee will.

Trying to figure out who to start as my 2nd WR this week. Harvin is questionable though fantrax has an update where it's expected for Harvin to get a lot of touches this week. Doesn't help he's playing my team either. :razz:

My choices are

Harvin vs MIA
Floyd vs Jax
Massaquoi vs KC

I'm tempted to go Massy since KC sucks, problem is, so does Cleveland.

I'd go with Malcolm Floyd. Harvin doesn't appear to be on the same page with Favre and Massaquoi has a shit QB throwing to him (also, did you see KC's defense last Monday? $$$$as looked STOUT). Floyd is up against Jax's shitty defense and is Rivers' primary target. Start him and don't think twice about it.

[quote name='JStryke']Trying to figure out who to start as my 2nd WR this week. Harvin is questionable though fantrax has an update where it's expected for Harvin to get a lot of touches this week. Doesn't help he's playing my team either. :razz:

My choices are

Harvin vs MIA
Floyd vs Jax
Massaquoi vs KC

I'm tempted to go Massy since KC sucks, problem is, so does Cleveland.[/QUOTE]

Let me repeat what I said a couple pages ago: Jax gave up the 2nd most points to WR last year. Last week they gave up 16 catches for 249 yards and 1 TD to Denver's WRs. Floyd led his team in targets last week with 12 (I just double checked, and that's DOUBLE what Gates got). You roll with Floyd over the other two.

Been going back and forth on my flex spot..Who should I put in?

Options

- Beanie Wells
- Fred Taylor
- Mike Sims-Walker
- Cj Spiller
- Derek Mason
- Malcolm Floyd
- Dez Bryant
- Micheal Bush

Wells is probably not going to do much this week, Taylor is..Taylor and playing the Jets D, Spiller didnt impress last week same with Floyd, Sims-Walker, and Mason, Bush is right off a injury and I have in Dez Bryant right now..What to do?

[quote name='tiddled06']Been going back and forth on my flex spot..Who should I put in?

Options

- Beanie Wells
- Fred Taylor
- Mike Sims-Walker
- Cj Spiller
- Derek Mason
- Malcolm Floyd
- Dez Bryant
- Micheal Bush

Wells is probably not going to do much this week, Taylor is..Taylor and playing the Jets D, Spiller didnt impress last week same with Floyd, Sims-Walker, and Mason, Bush is right off a injury and I have in Dez Bryant right now..What to do?[/QUOTE]

You really only have two choices: Malcom Floyd or Dez Bryant. You've got injuries or disappearing acts for the others. See my previous post on my Floyd recommendation. Bryant should get receptions, but while everyone is getting excited over his 12 targets, I saw the Cowboys being VERY cautious with where they threw him the ball. Those throws were coming VERY short. I think they were just trying to say "Look, you can catch the ball in an NFL game." When are they going to let him run? He got decent points off the receptions (if you're PPR), but not much for yards. They clearly preferred to throw to Miles Austin downfield. I think Floyd has the higher upside while Dallas finds its comfort level with Bryant.

PPR league - one flex spot

- Mike Williams (TB)
- Shonn Greene
- Pierre Garcon
- Jonathan Stewart
- Mark Clayton
- Johnny Know
- Dez Bryant

I've currently got Mike Williams plugged in. Not really feeling JStew or Greene, especially since it's PPR. Thinking of making the switch to Garcon.

[quote name='SEH']PPR league - one flex spot

- Mike Williams (TB)
- Shonn Greene
- Pierre Garcon
- Jonathan Stewart
- Mark Clayton
- Johnny Know
- Dez Bryant

I've currently got Mike Williams plugged in. Not really feeling JStew or Greene, especially since it's PPR. Thinking of making the switch to Garcon.[/QUOTE]

There's uncertainty up and down that list. I'd feel most comfortable with Garcon because he has the best guy throwing him the ball. As long as Manning still trusts him, I'd go with him.

[quote name='tiddled06']Been going back and forth on my flex spot..Who should I put in?

Options

- Beanie Wells
- Fred Taylor
- Mike Sims-Walker
- Cj Spiller
- Derek Mason
- Malcolm Floyd
- Dez Bryant
- Micheal Bush

Wells is probably not going to do much this week, Taylor is..Taylor and playing the Jets D, Spiller didnt impress last week same with Floyd, Sims-Walker, and Mason, Bush is right off a injury and I have in Dez Bryant right now..What to do?[/QUOTE]

Taylor and Floyd are safe picks. Bryant is a possible sleeper, depending solely on how he's used this week. Mason, on the other hand, is who I would go with. He was purposely shutdown last week, there isn't a Bailey, Revis, Asomagha (sp?) to shut him down this week.

[quote name='SEH']PPR league - one flex spot

- Mike Williams (TB)
- Shonn Greene
- Pierre Garcon
- Jonathan Stewart
- Mark Clayton
- Johnny Know
- Dez Bryant

I've currently got Mike Williams plugged in. Not really feeling JStew or Greene, especially since it's PPR. Thinking of making the switch to Garcon.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with Garcon, but I think he's getting Rolle this week. Nonetheless, he's probably the safest pick. Greene might surprise everyone this week. I've got Clayton in one of my leagues, but that was a toss up and I'm playing Sjax at the same time.

[quote name='javeryh']So.... McFadden (v. STL) or Nicks (@IND)????

I can't decide.[/QUOTE]

Nicks. Campbell has got to throw this week, and I think McFadden and Bush - if he plays - will suffer for it.

[quote name='Kilraven']Nicks. Campbell has got to throw this week, and I think McFadden and Bush - if he plays - will suffer for it.[/QUOTE]

Alright. I'm pretty much set on Nicks. What about McFadden or Ochocinco? The Bengals play the Ravens which could be tough for Ochocinco. The Yahoo projections have him scoring 9 points and McFadden getting 13. I don't know. Whatever I end up doing will be the wrong move - the joys of fantasy football.

If Bush is healthy and playing, start Ocho. If Bush is inactive once again, go with McFadden. With Michael Bush around, McFaddens usage will be greatly decreased, though he could still be decent in PPR leagues probably.

I've read Bush is going to be active but limited. That said, Cincinnati is going to be down for most of the game so Ocho is a good bet to score.

Been going back and forth on who to start as my third receiver. Who do you guys think I should start?

- Austin Collie
- Mark Clayton
- Legedu Naanee

I've got to consider Ocho over McFadden. I don't think the Bengals will establish a run game this week, so receivers are going to be the way to go.

[quote name='lordopus99']Been going back and forth on who to start as my third receiver. Who do you guys think I should start?

- Austin Collie
- Mark Clayton
- Legedu Naanee[/QUOTE]

Well, after reading - just now, mind you - that Clayton is getting Asomagha, I'd lean towards Collie. I need one more week of Naanee before I can decide on fluke or real.

[quote name='lordopus99']Been going back and forth on who to start as my third receiver. Who do you guys think I should start?

- Austin Collie
- Mark Clayton
- Legedu Naanee[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kilraven']Well, after reading - just now, mind you - that Clayton is getting Asomagha, I'd lean towards Collie. I need one more week of Naanee before I can decide on fluke or real.[/QUOTE]

Kilraven said pretty much exactly what I was thinking regarding each player, so consider that two votes for Collie.

The falcons score had me excited. I was excited Turner actually did something. Yet again, the Burner burns his owners. I knew I should not have drafted him. I knew I hated having that 5th pick.

At least my other notes were positive. Best was a beast today, and I got 3 of my 4 upset picks correct (upsets according to yahoo). Miami over Minnesota (I hate the vikings so couldn't pick them over my team), KC over the Browns (though I don't see this as an upset personally), and Pitt over Tennessee. Only one I got wrong was Seattle over Denver (After last week against SF, plus was never a fan of Denver).

Welp, I traded away Shonn Greene. What a waste of a draft pick he's been. I'm sure he'll have a decent/good week here or there, but he's definitely not the back everyone thought he'd be. Wound up packaging him and Mike Williams (TB) to get Green Bays defense which I sorely needed (thanks Giants for -4 points). This also leaves me with a bench spot to try and grab someone like Shipley, Kevin Walter, or Snelling.

Holy shit, double post.

Just offered a dude in my main league Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Dez Bryant, or Mark Clayton for Cedric Benson and he accepted...for DEZ BRYANT! Pretty pumped right now.

[quote name='SEH']Holy shit, double post.

Just offered a dude in my main league Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Dez Bryant, or Mark Clayton for Cedric Benson and he accepted...for DEZ BRYANT! Pretty pumped right now.[/QUOTE]

I got the feeling after last week that I was the only one who wasn't enamored with Dez Bryant. Every website was shouting about how he got 12 targets and 8 receptions, but not looking at how he got those. He's going to be a good player and all, but people need to slow down. Luckily, you were able to take advantage of it.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I got the feeling after last week that I was the only one who wasn't enamored with Dez Bryant. Every website was shouting about how he got 12 targets and 8 receptions, but not looking at how he got those. He's going to be a good player and all, but people need to slow down. Luckily, you were able to take advantage of it.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I wouldn't have minded keeping him on my bench just to have him incase he blows up, but to trade a stud RB that you drafted in the first round for a WR that's a secondary target that I picked up in like round 14 is insane.

my main league is looking good. made lots of waiver moves this morning (just bench players, kicker) and im 2-0.

but my ESPN league with my family (in its first season) is a mess. Grant going down killed me, ryan matthews has not lived up to the hype and turner hurt his groin and let snelling do all the work. not to mention tony romo forgot hes supposed to be an elite QB. i really really need help at RB, but im only going to make headway there with a trade, and my other guys arent great. probably going to have to try and get a RB by trading away Romo and/or Turner and downgrade at QB.

Well, Ryan Matthews' first game saw the Chargers throwing a lot because they were down. His second game (yesterday) he got hurt not to far into the game. He wound up being fine but they kept him out to be safe. So, I wouldn't say he "hasn't lived up to the hype" when he hasn't really had the chance to play too much.

he had 19 carries in week 1, 0 tds only 75 yards. i know he was hurt this week, but tolbert having a big game doesnt help matthews.

theres football and theres fantasy football. ryan matthews was being drafted as a top 30 player in a lot of leagues, there were plenty of places that had him ranked as a top 10 or top 15 back. im 0-2 with big question marks at running back, so of course im going to say he hasnt lived up to the hype.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']he had 19 carries in week 1, 0 tds only 75 yards. i know he was hurt this week, but tolbert having a big game doesnt help matthews.

theres football and theres fantasy football. ryan matthews was being drafted as a top 30 player in a lot of leagues, there were plenty of places that had him ranked as a top 10 or top 15 back. im 0-2 with big question marks at running back, so of course im going to say he hasnt lived up to the hype.[/QUOTE]

You're really going to complain about a rookie running for an average four yards per carry IN HIS FIRST GAME? Those are pretty good stats for a rookie. You said it yourself, he had 19 carries. I think that shows the Chargers are committed to running him. The game just got out of hand so they had to throw.

Is he posting amazing fantasy numbers right now? No. But don't lose your shit and abandon ship just yet. His next four games are Seattle, Arizona, Oakland, then St. Louis. You'll be fine dude.

Mathews and Bryant are doing better than expected, considering they're playing on two distinctly cluster-fucked offenses.

Right now Dallas refuses to establish a run game, only wish to pass to Miles Austin - pretty good for the opposing D. The Chargers, on the other hand, aren't sure what the hell they want to do. Rivers looked lost week 1, and week 2 wasn't much better. He needs to figure out who VJax's replacement is because random receiver and Gates isn't going to go far.

Now, Greene is a different story. I was never high on him as a 1st round pick, especially after they signed LT. That said, he is their future and once they figure out Sanchez (kind of like yesterday), I fully expect Greene to shine. Now, if that is doesn't happen until halfway through the season... I don't know. Store him until then, perhaps?

Shonn Greene is exhibit A as to why I wouldn't pick an RB in the back half of the first round this year. He was going late first/early second. After the top 6 guys, I didn't trust the value and preferred a top WR. Of course, I ended up with the 1st and 2nd picks in my two leagues, so the point was moot, but I felt for the guys reaching at the end of round 1.

Won both my ESPN leagues tonight, but I'm still sweating out my money league. My opponent has Pitt's defense, and apparently the scoring system is out of whack. On fantrax, apparently the techs are doing changes to the site and it messed up the scoring. If the commish can fix it, I lose (bench tiebreaker), if not (which I really hope), I win by three points. I need the win bad or I start 0-2.

bread's done
Back