Far Cry and Open Season for Wii $20 each at Gamestop

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Yay, the GCO went through for Far Cry. Now the question is, is it worth $12? I was planning to trade it with Open Season, but if its ok for $12, I might just buy another to keep. I did enjoy Red Steel.[/QUOTE]

You got time to play it. Find out for yourself :D I on the other hand will be away from any Wii until after this deal is over, so I'm going to be getting rid of these games ASAP.

traded in a Wii happy feet (from target for 12.48) and Wii far cry (from GS for 16.xx) for Super Paper Mario preorder...they gave me zero problems with the preorder...

Picked up Far Cry and Open Season at Best Buy for about $32 after coupons, and traded them in at Gamestop for Tiger Woods. Everything worked out great.

I'm gonna try to work this deal a couple more times before it expires. It's not often that you get a chance to come out ahead when trading games at Gamestop. Usually, they're screwing you for all it's worth, so it's nice to turn the tables when the opportunity arises.

[quote name='D. Monic']
I'm gonna try to work this deal a couple more times before it expires. It's not often that you get a chance to come out ahead when trading games at Gamestop. Usually, they're screwing you for all it's worth, so it's nice to turn the tables when the opportunity arises.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - I hadn't traded any games into EB/GS since last Sept or so when they had their extra $10 for 3 games deal (on PS2/GC/Xbox/DS/PSP). If they brought that back they'd get a few more regular games from me (and not the same ones we're all trading now ;)).

I'm a EB Games employee, and I can tell you that the other employees and I have been taking advantage of this deal, and yes you can trade these games in towards a preorder, but you can not yet preorder Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or Metroid 3 Prime: Corruption. Nintendo has still refused to send us the SKUs for these titles, which also makes me worried about their release dates...

[quote name='Short Round']I'm a EB Games employee, and I can tell you that the other employees and I have been taking advantage of this deal, and yes you can trade these games in towards a preorder, but you can not yet preorder Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or Metroid 3 Prime: Corruption. Nintendo has still refused to send us the SKUs for these titles, which also makes me worried about their release dates...[/quote]
Good news on that front. I'm going to hit my local Targets today to see if they have any cheap Wii games, if not then Best Buy is right next door (hopefully they'll have some GGCs). Either way, SPM for $~35 is something I can handle!

Ordered the JR games for $11 each shipped w/GCO.
Ordered yesterday and both have shipped!
Should have no problem making the 15th trade in!
Thanks Op!

Man, those of you able to find Wii games at Target for 8-12 bucks are either freakin lucky as hell, or you're full of shit! I went to 2 different Targets and they both had Ant Bully and Happy Feet for $29.99. They had plenty of copies of each too. Where do you people live, in freakin Amish country or something? "Quick, we must get rid of these demon games!" I don't ever get any decent markdowns here in NC.

The only way I'm going to have a chance at this deal is through J&R. I ordered today, so hopefully I'll get them in time, otherwise I guess I'll have to go buy them at Wal-Mart and return the J&R ones when they come in.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Man, those of you able to find Wii games at Target for 8-12 bucks are either freakin lucky as hell, or you're full of shit! I went to 2 different Targets and they both had Ant Bully and Happy Feet for $29.99. They had plenty of copies of each too. Where do you people live, in freakin Amish country or something? "Quick, we must get rid of these demon games!" I don't ever get any decent markdowns here in NC.

The only way I'm going to have a chance at this deal is through J&R. I ordered today, so hopefully I'll get them in time, otherwise I guess I'll have to go buy them at Wal-Mart and return the J&R ones when they come in.[/QUOTE]

If you have been following the Target clearance thread you'd see it is fairly limited and mostly just in older Targets with the older-style game sections. The ones with plenty of space aren't clearing any of the 360 or Wii games. I managed to find 1 out of about 6 or 7 Targets that had *any* of these games on sale and all I was able to get was 1 copy of Chicken Little for $9.98, but that I'm going to keep. The only other game they had on clearance was Barnyard ($12.48 but they had none left).

I'm wondering if Gamecrazy has reduced Far Cry and Open Season to $20 yet? I'd love to get some used copies from there for the EB promo. At least that way I'm not flipping EB's own stock for it - they are getting new stock out of it (though 2 crappy games to be sure).

I'm a noob with this seeing as how i've never done any of EB/GS trade in deals...But should I open these games before i trade them in or leave them sealed?

[quote name='Dingleberry']I'm a noob with this seeing as how i've never done any of EB/GS trade in deals...But should I open these games before i trade them in or leave them sealed?[/quote]The policy is they have to be open. Some will take them anyway, some will just ask you to open them up, but easier to just do it first.

And even easier is when you buy "new" copies from GS and they're already open. :lol: First time I've been happy about that policy.

[quote name='botticus']The policy is they have to be open. Some will take them anyway, some will just ask you to open them up, but easier to just do it first.

And even easier is when you buy "new" copies from GS and they're already open. :lol: First time I've been happy about that policy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, plus if you open them first you can keep the nice new Wii cases and substitute some other cases (PS2 or DVD ones, even). I plan on doing this so I can get a nice Wii case for Wii Sports.

[quote name='io']Yeah, plus if you open them first you can keep the nice new Wii cases and substitute some other cases (PS2 or DVD ones, even). I plan on doing this so I can get a nice Wii case for Wii Sports.[/quote]Yep, just did that. Though it was a nice "new" Wii case, gotta peel a bit of sticky off it. Still better than the cheap one from the Activision promo.

[quote name='botticus']Yep, just did that. Though it was a nice "new" Wii case, gotta peel a bit of sticky off it. Still better than the cheap one from the Activision promo.[/QUOTE]

:lol:, yep, that's what mine is in now. I currently have 2 used Wii cases from EB with their stickers on them from my trade a few days ago. They are better than the Activision one though. I got a bunch of white DVD cases from my GR before they closed - so I'll be subbing out all Wii trades with those. They still look like Wii cases, but are just slightly different (don't say "Wii" on the inside for one).

Completely off-topic, but if anyone is looking for game or DVD cases to swap out for trade-in games try Blockbuster. They routinely trash brand new cases for their rental stuff - I've seen them toss huge garbage bags full of them, so there's no harm in asking if they have a few to spare. They will most likely have extra DVD cases if anything but those work just fine for most games (especially PS2).

just bought far cry and open season for 18 each used at eb, then went across the street to gs and traded them in for paper mario preorder. sweetness.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I give this trade abuse about 2 more days before gamestop/eb shuts it down.[/quote]

wont be shut down til the 15th... ;-)

are you cereal about a immediate shut down? ive been hoarding 2 chicken littles a spongebob and a barnyard in hopes of scoring a wiiplay remote. would i be crazy to just get 2 more TP copies?

Yeah, I can't see them shutting it down but who knows. What they *should* have done is held off on dropping Far Cry and Open Season till after the promo ended. But, really, all it amounts to is a 20%-25% discount (depending on whether you buy new or used copies to trade) on the new game that you get from it. That is hardly killing them. It seems stupid to me that they would exclude Wii Play though - I'd think that would sell fairly well as a used game at $25 or $30.

Considering that they are making extra money off people who don't realize things like Zelda trade for $27+ after Edge (who thus trade that and something else and probably don't end up getting anything extra out of it) I'm sure it isn't that bad that they would need to cancel it.

I never thought to get another Wii Play out of this deal, but that's a possibility. I went out tonight and, after renewing my Edge sub (first time I've had to pay the inflated price as I got one of the last $5 subs last April), bought a used Open Season and new Far Cry. So, it cost me a bit more ($36.18) as I had to get one of them new, but I wanted to get rid of them right away. Afterwards I went to another store and preordered SPM - didn't get any extra credit this time as the guy at first did it like the 360 trade with only $10 extra. Then when I corrected him he just redid it without scanning my card. I ended up getting 1 penny back since he made them both $25 ;).

Anyway, Far Cry seems to be hard to find used right now. Open Season on the other hand seems abundant (this store had 4 of them). My Gamecrazy has a used Far Cry, but it is still full price there. They haven't picked up on the universal drop yet, which is strange as even Fred Meyer has them for $19.99 now.

So far I've just done MP 8 and SPM. I guess I could do the Pokemon game. Their preorder list is pretty pathetic as it is missing all the big titles (for reasons explained previously).

it would be nice to get the full value of a new game (53 bucks or so) in credit after trading in 30 bucks worth of games. maybe a cheap way to get that fancy halo helmet?

I think the gravy train
ended. Typing on my treo at eb games. Signs are down, clerks said it is over. Far cry $5, Open Season $5, Ant Bully $8 plus the 10%. Gonna run to a gamestop now

[quote name='kklems']I think the gravy train
ended. Typing on my treo at eb games. Signs are down, clerks said it is over. Far cry $5, Open Season $5, Ant Bully $8 plus the 10%. Gonna run to a gamestop now[/quote]I would be rather upset, but luckily the dude at EB (since they couldn't get a preorder to go through) said they'd make sure it went through on Monday - and I spent long enough in that store that they won't forget me.

Otherwise I'm returning both items since I just bought them (and the new item was already open, so they can shove it. :lol:)

Yeah, just realized website shows an explicit expiration date of 4/15, so I'm not too worried. Think I'm gonna go try at the other GS instead of waiting till Monday though, just to get it done.

ended. Typing on my treo at eb games. Signs are down, clerks said it is over. Far cry $5, Open Season $5, Ant Bully $8 plus the 10%. Gonna run to a gamestop now[/quote]

Threaten to call corporate or some other BS. Still on the website. Don't let them get away!

(Or that GameStop might be nice enough to help you out :))

God dammit! I know they're not going to pull an FYE and end this deal early. Or just pull an "excluded games" list out of their ass. I just printed out the ad from the website that clearly states the offer ends on 4/15. I guess if they give me shit, I'll try to put up a fight, but the bottom line is..they're a big corporation, and they can do whatever they want. The fine print does also say that trade-ins are "subject to manager approval".

The only thing I can think of that might hit them where it hurts is bad press. If they screw us, write an editorial for your local paper about bad business and false advertising. Just watch what you say. Those of you not familiar with lawsuits, make sure EVERYTHING you say is true, or they can sue you for libel.

Simply stating that despite an online ad outlining the restrictions of the promotion, after being taught a lesson in business by their customers, EB/GS decided to end the promotion early, isn't going to do anything but make them look stupid. Honoring your specials and advertisments is a matter of ethics. We'll see how EB/GS wants to play it.

ended. Typing on my treo at eb games. Signs are down, clerks said it is over. Far cry $5, Open Season $5, Ant Bully $8 plus the 10%. Gonna run to a gamestop now[/QUOTE]

Pseudo false alarm. The gamestop up the street still had the signs and I was able to trade 4 and get 2 WII games without a problem. (On the receipt the price is as listed above for trade so make sure you dump this by the end of the promo or you are stuck with crap for trade ins. )

Traded Far Cry, Open Season for Godfather and Far Cry, Ant bully for A NEW AND SEALED !!! Medal of Honor: Vanguard. I will go back tomorrow and rebuy Far Cry ($17.99 used minus 10%) and maybe open season and trade for TMNT. The guy did say that it was not valid with pre-orders :( so I am going to try the 3rd eb/gamestop in town and see what happens.

Also of interest he told me they are not allowed to take Wii Sports at all. Bummer would have like to get a used copy for $5 as a backup.

I wonder why they can't take Wii Sports. I can definitely see excluding it from the 2fer deal, but they could pay a buck and charge 5. Although since it's still a packin (it is, isn't it?) it probably wouldn't sell real well if at all.

I'm waiting for my two more copies to come so I can trade them in and be done. Odd it's not good on preorders. I don't want to get stuck with these two games, but if I get them by or on Monday, I should be fine regardless--I saw on the receipt EB takes returns on used items again (within 7 days).

Well I and many others have had no problems with preorders, so give it a shot for sure.

I was gonna say about the "no signs" thing that NONE of the 4 EB/GS I've been in to (2 to buy, 2 to trade) have had any signage about the deal. I just asked at the 2 and they knew about it. But they sure don't seem to be pushing this promo ;).

So, anyway, don't take there being no signs when you walk in as a bad, uh, sign ;).

I'll be trying to trade in 3 of my own games and 1 Open Season or Far Cry bought from them for preorders on Mario Party 8 and Pokemon Battle Revolution sometime soon. Whenever BB gets Paper Mario in, actually :lol:.

[quote name='dtcarson']I wonder why they can't take Wii Sports. I can definitely see excluding it from the 2fer deal, but they could pay a buck and charge 5. Although since it's still a packin (it is, isn't it?) it probably wouldn't sell real well if at all.[/quote]
Because it's a pack-in game that will never get sold. Since the Wii is so new, not many people have traded their unit in so almost all people with the unit already have a copy of Wii Sports. Why give $3 for a game that will never sell (then again, they're giving more than that for Open Season :puke:).

[quote name='Short Round']I'm a EB Games employee, and I can tell you that the other employees and I have been taking advantage of this deal, and yes you can trade these games in towards a preorder, but you can not yet preorder Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or Metroid 3 Prime: Corruption. Nintendo has still refused to send us the SKUs for these titles, which also makes me worried about their release dates...[/QUOTE]
Couldn't we trade the 2 games in for something that won't be coming out for a while (Mario and Sonic is already listed at GameStop.com, and won't be coming out until the holidays) and then transfer the pre-order when SSBB/SMG/MP3 is listed?

[quote name='o_O']Couldn't we trade the 2 games in for something that won't be coming out for a while (Mario and Sonic is already listed at GameStop.com, and won't be coming out until the holidays) and then transfer the pre-order when SSBB/SMG/MP3 is listed?[/QUOTE]

Well, Metroid and the others are listed on the web site as well, but it doesn't mean they take preorders in store for them. I doubt they take preorders for Mario and Sonic yet in store either. Just pick whatever is furthest off - Mario Party 8 or Pokemon, I forget, and then see if they add any of those by then. If not, pick that up and return it later and save your $49.99 in credit for when they do eventually get Mario Galaxy or SSBB or whatever.

Kevzik - If you are spending cash, absolutely. But if you have credit to burn, it is much better to use it at EB to get those games. I was going to buy SPM for $50 in EB credit anyway, so what this does is saves me $14 or so of that credit. But, yeah, if I didn't have any credit, I'd definitely do the BB thing and spend $30 in cash to get these games (Mario Party 8 too!).

Kevzik- Good point. I may just buy them at GS, though, so I can be sure they'll let me trade Open Season in and let me use the credit on preorders for those 2 games.

kklems, glad to hear that it was just a difficult EB employee and not an end to the promo. If I were you man, I'd go back to that EB and key that fuckers car or something. I can't stand it when people are assholes just for the sake of being an asshole. At the very least, he should be reported to his manager. Idiots!

Went to my local store today, with the Far Cry I bought at a GS on Monday and an Open Season I got from Best Buy on Wednesday.

No signs in the Wii area, but there was a sign for "Trade 2 Get 1 Wii Game" on the door to the back.

The guy working there immediately knew what I meant and started the transaction.

Far Cry and Open Season rang up as 5 dollars each. He looked a little confused, then consulted a bunch of pages detailing all the current offers in a drawer behind the counter. He said he was checking to see that it was still valid, and I could tell he was reading the fine print.

But he said it was still good, so he overrode the $5 amounts and got it to match the price of Super Paper Mario, the game I chose.

So, still good. Also used the $5 off coupon from the website to get PS2 Ecco for $8.99 after Edge card.

That's how it works, the employee is supposed to manually change the price of the trade in games in the system. Most just don't seem to know that.

I love how open season is 20 at BB, but not far cry, and far cry is 20 at CC, but not open season.....

if only CC would put that price in a circular so I could PM at BB...the people at BB refuse to PM it if I don't have it in print

[quote name='garfep']For anyone taking advantage of that $12.94 price from J&R, keep in mind that Far Cry and Open Season for Wii are each worth $21.75 in cash ($26.10 in credit) at FYE.[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is that I don't any FYE near me. I am going have to jump on all of these cheap games so I can stack up on some store credit to get a PS3 on the cheap.

If I were you man, I'd go back to that EB and key that fuckers car or something. I can't stand it when people are assholes just for the sake of being an asshole.

Thats kinda doing the same thing isnt it. Go above his head in the manager chain.

[quote name='SoccerEBA3']I love how open season is 20 at BB, but not far cry, and far cry is 20 at CC, but not open season.....

if only CC would put that price in a circular so I could PM at BB...the people at BB refuse to PM it if I don't have it in print[/quote]

Did you have them scan Far Cry? I was at my BB last week and the shelf tag for Far Cry said $19.99. I would think it would have to ring up systemwide at that. It certainly wasn't some store special or anything.

traded in 2 games (total was 25$) for wii play. traded in wii play (10$) +1$ edge card, so i got a wiimote for 25$ and i have 11$ credit at gamestop too :)

Sometimes.......

Back to EbGames today and grabbed two copies of Far Cry and TMNT. No problems in the end but it took him for ever to figure it out. He also claimed that he got a memo saying that the deal was NOT good on pre-orders but I think he was mad because I made no pretense about buying the two games to get the cheaper new game. Still would like to get a pre order for SPM but I have so many games and no time to play anyway. Also picked up the 2 disc special edition of Godfather for the PS2 for $11.xx so I am happy about that.

Of course the new game was open :( How do they get away with that. Everytime I see them sell new games that are open I want to screw with them ....that and the anemic trade in values they give normally. Thank god for Goozex.

Just got back from spending alot of my store credit and ditching red steel
red steel + open season (used) for Wii Play (really just needed the extra wiimote)
open season (used) + far cry (used) for Super Paper Mario the guy didnt have any problem with it

i was really waiting for a good time to burn some store credit...this was perfect, also he said i could do the deal with anything in the system even asked me if i wanted to do it for Mario + Sonic at the summer games

Probably gonna get Godfather Blackhand soon with this. Looks really fun.

Bought two Open Season at BB with $5 coupon ($14.99) about $32.50 total for both....

Took both directly to GS to reserve Paper Mario and even had an extra $5 (10% edge) to plop on Mario 8

Came home to find both wi games from JR (ordered Tues/Wed)!
LOL I meant to order Far Cry and Open Seaon, but ordered Open Season twice! BOTH games $23 total shipped!

Heading out to the other GS later (I have 2 super close) to reserve Mario 8.
Thanks Ops for the JR info and the help on Google checkout!
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

So both new wiis for about $55.5 thanks to CAG!:bouncy:

P.S. wii Godfather is great!

[quote name='lawdood']Did you have them scan Far Cry? I was at my BB last week and the shelf tag for Far Cry said $19.99. I would think it would have to ring up systemwide at that. It certainly wasn't some store special or anything.[/QUOTE]
Yea, nevermind, they're both $19.99 at Best Buy

bread's done
Back