Far Cry and Open Season for Wii $20 each at Gamestop

I am pissed...I traded in Open Sea on FC at eb. First of it took at least 20 mins to figure it out and on top of that they charged my tax! Wtf is this? The promo sign never said anything about paying tax! Did all of you have to pay tax of the wii game you got? I got Wii Play. trade 2 get 1!!! no freaking tax! So I ended up paying $4 extra bucks in tax!

Considering it mentions no such restriction in their ad, I'm to assume they'll take two copies of one game for the T2G1F Wii games offer? Or am I gonna have to hassle with them about it?

Have you traded in before and not been charged tax? I think some states/communities require tax to be paid on the value of the new item, or some funky rule.
I personally wasn't, he took my two games, rung up Godfather, subtracted the original trade in values from the total cost of GF, then split the difference and added that value to the trades, so I walked out not having to open my wallet at all.

[quote name='dtcarson']Have you traded in before and not been charged tax? I think some states/communities require tax to be paid on the value of the new item, or some funky rule.
I personally wasn't, he took my two games, rung up Godfather, subtracted the original trade in values from the total cost of GF, then split the difference and added that value to the trades, so I walked out not having to open my wallet at all.[/QUOTE]

No tax in Nebraska. Also re:two of the same games. I used two copies of Far cry as trade in today without problem. Although I suppose eacg eb games is a YMMV since I could not do a preorder.

Found two far cry's and an Open season around town. Probably pick up another far cry at meijer for $16.99 on monday and take them into EB.

The register monkey specifically told me when I was buying Far Cry and Open season that they would take two of the same game for the Wii deal.

[quote name='Tsukento']Considering it mentions no such restriction in their ad, I'm to assume they'll take two copies of one game for the T2G1F Wii games offer? Or am I gonna have to hassle with them about it?[/quote]
Definately YMMV.Tried 2 GS in NE OH & both said must be 2 different games.Also,I paid no tax when I did trade.

Well two things. I actually played Farcry for a good 40 minutes or so and posted my review on pricegrabber (I didn't beat the game, no, but I think I get the general idea after going through most of the first area. It's not going to change much) and can honestly say the game is pretty bad, but not Superman 64 bad. The control is actually pretty good, It's the enemy AI, sound, graphics and general enviroment of Farcry that bringsi t down. Not to mention lack of online multiplayer (I know this is the Wii we are talking about, but online multiplayer is a must for most FPS unless It's a very unique single player experience, which Farcry Vengance is not).

Has anyone had any experience with Pricegrabber? I think for $8ish this is still a good deal for a Wii game, and I'll probably get myself to finishing it someday via a gun to my head. That and I'm a FarCry whore.

I had to pay tax (i went to the ebgames in briarwood mall in ann arbor) but since I had store credit from ditching kmart games a while ago it didnt bother me.

I also had to pay tax in Framingham, MA. The store manager told me it was policy, but I'm guessing it has to do with your state laws.

[quote name='kevzik']Can someone give us confirmation on the freaking tax issue!

...please?[/quote]

Could the tax issue be an extended YMMV in how the 10% Edge card is treated?
In my case, the store manager took my two Open Seasons, manually adjusted them up to $25 each, and then I asked if the Edge card could be used....he shrugged and said "sure, let's see" and wallah my $50 went to a $55 credit. If I were to have immediately bought a $49.99 wii game in stock, the $5 would cover tax...but at some stores CAGers are reporting only a $50 credit...which would require additional $ to cover the tax on a $49.99 game..

[quote name='kevzik']Can someone give us confirmation on the freaking tax issue!

...please?[/QUOTE]
This is definitely something that varies from state to state. I live near the border of Indiana and Michigan. Whenever I've done trade deals like this in Michigan, I've always had to pay tax. In Indiana, I never do. I've done the Farcry and Open Season trade twice so far, both times in Indiana to avoid the tax issue in Michigan.

I believe it has to do with whether your state considers transactions like this a swap or a sale. Michigan considers it a sale, hence sales tax applies. Indiana just considers it an even swap, therefore no tax.

[quote name='D. Monic']This is definitely something that varies from state to state. I live near the border of Indiana and Michigan. Whenever I've done trade deals like this in Michigan, I've always had to pay tax. In Indiana, I never do. I've done the Farcry and Open Season trade twice so far, both times in Indiana to avoid the tax issue in Michigan.

I believe it has to do with whether your state considers transactions like this a swap or a sale. Michigan considers it a sale, hence sales tax applies. Indiana just considers it an even swap, therefore no tax.[/quote]

Yeah. Well im going to call corperate tomorrow just to make sure. Thanks.

By the way, the product ID for used Far Cry is 917015.

The used version is not searchable at this time (because it is out of stock online).

But if you sub this number in another search you can find it and use the store locator. Now I know where I can get both games used instead of having to buy a new copy like I did the other day.

I've got two far crys and one Open Season.. Hope to find another open season before too long.

Just got my copy of Far Cry today. From my initial play session, this game isn't worth the $12. It reeks of lazy Wii cash-in. And the game certainly doesn't look as nice as the back of the box says it does. This is going straight to EB once I get my copy of Open Season in.

[quote name='io']By the way, the product ID for used Far Cry is 917015.

The used version is not searchable at this time (because it is out of stock online).

But if you sub this number in another search you can find it and use the store locator. Now I know where I can get both games used instead of having to buy a new copy like I did the other day.[/quote]You can find it by clicking "show" backordered items that may be available in stores

Hmm, I told the employee that I was going to buy a copy of Far Cry and a copy of Open Season to trade it in for Wii Play, and he refused to sell it to me. Oh well, there was only one used copy of Far Cry, so I'll wait another day until there are 2 used copies, or buy from Best Buy with the $5 coupons to get Wii Play or Super Paper Mario for $30 total.

For people w/ worries about Red Steel, don't, its a great game that is excellent for a rental, as single player takes about 8 hours. Multiplayer is fun, however.

Maybe that guy at Gamestop should've sold me that Far Cry and Open Season, because I ended up buying them for cheaper at Best Buy, and I traded them in for Wii Play, and I'm going to get Super Paper Mario tomorrow.

So, instead of selling the games and still make a profit, the guy ended up telling me to buy it at another place and trade it in when he wasn't working.

[quote name='kevzik']I am pissed...I traded in Open Sea on FC at eb. First of it took at least 20 mins to figure it out and on top of that they charged my tax! Wtf is this? The promo sign never said anything about paying tax! Did all of you have to pay tax of the wii game you got? I got Wii Play. trade 2 get 1!!! no freaking tax! So I ended up paying $4 extra bucks in tax![/quote]

again, huge YMMV. i live in san francisco, ca, and i went to a gamestop and an eb games and asked them if they'd take the games for preorders and they said no. i then went to bestbuy to pick up one each of the games (far cry and open season).

a couple of hours later (after errands), i returned to the mall and went to the same stores who had different employees working. at the gamestop, i was able to preorder mario party 8. at the eb games, i paid $4.12 in tax. on the eb on the way home, i was told to pre-order super paper mario, with the $5.00 going towards the tax (but i still don't know what they'll do with the $0.88 change...).

summary: new ssx blur (but with tax), mario party 8 (no tax needed - game is covered in full), deposit for super paper mario that will hopefully go through tomorrow.

I'll be heading out tomorrow (well, later today, really) to two Gamestops with 3 of my own games, and plan on buying 1 more.

My hope is to get preorders on both MP8 and Pokemon Battle Revolution. I'm really hoping the folks there won't hassle me about preordering.

[quote name='wtfbbq']You can find it by clicking "show" backordered items that may be available in stores[/QUOTE]
Uh, point is said backordered item doesn't even come up in the search unless you put this number in.

Anyways, I finally found a used one - they seem hard to find.

By the way, they do have some longer-term preorder choices available. All slated for November (according to them): The Simpsons game, NiGHTS, and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. I chose the last one as that is something I may actually want. But that is a ways off and I may just end up switching that to something else beforehand. I didn't want to get another copy of SPM that I'd have to return (I already will be doing that with one).

I have one more set of games to trade in and might do NiGHTS just for kicks...

I posted all this in the duplicate thread (kind if annoying there's two, but whatever...), but I got an interesting explanation as to why they don't have the "Big 3" for preorder (Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Metroid). He claimes they would get TOO MANY preorders if they had them now, so they will only take preorders for a limited time before release. Makes sense now that they have other longer term games like the Olympics one.

What wftbbq was saying is that if you search on "Far Cry" and then on the results page scroll down to the bottom, there's a "show backorders" link you can click. So you don't need to use that number...unless you want to. It's just two different ways to do the same thing. The backorder link is really handy though for doing zip code searches on all sorts of items not currently in stock on the web site.

I was only going to do this deal once more. But I might have to keep it going to get NiGHTS and the Olympics. Thanks for the tip. Although they're way off in the distance release-wise, I can always switch it if something suprisingly good pops up, such as Spider-man 3 (I'll wait for the reviews on that one).

As for the other thread, I think it's hilarious how much that one has taken off when we've been discussing this deal here for a week now.

bread's done
Back