Far Cry impressions

Metal Boss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just bought this game on a whim today because I needed my shooter fix. I'm generally finding it pretty fun, the graphics are definitely a mixture of good and bad.

the good: the draw distance, bloom effects, minimalistic shadowing which actually looks pretty good, lush vegetation, steady frame rate.

The bad: the water effects are bland with little to no reflection, I've seen amazing water in all of the far cry games so I was surprised they didn't bump that up a notch, there is quite a bit of popup, and character models are a little dull. The games got a few graphical bugs here and there as well i'd like to point out, there were a few trees that I was able to clip through. and the water seems to shimmer ALOT when viewing it from a distance, I think i even noticed the skybox texture repeating itself on more than one occasion.

The AI is as good as the original far cry in my opinion. The motion movements are finicky at times as well and you really need to get used to them, the aiming is really good and I have had no problems there, you can hold A to stop from turning and push the controller forward to zoom in, it works out well when you get used to the motions. I also had to turn the sensitivity way up for the turning speed, the default is SO slow.

The multiplayer is barebones deathmatch and 'predator' mod, and only 2 players.

weren't you a PS3 fanboy a while ago?

good to hear the game turned out okay. Just like CoD3, i'll wait for a price drop, though.

Cool do you know if they added some of the x-box game to it, I heard they were and I played the first one, but not the second. I heard they were...

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Cool do you know if they added some of the x-box game to it, I heard they were and I played the first one, but not the second. I heard they were...[/quote]

Not sure about that, I've never tried the xbox version. This game is nothing like the PC version I played a few years ago though. I guess it is a port from the xbox version though, no? I would pass on it if I had played it on the xbox one already.

Good to see you're more open minded now. I try not to be anti-sony.. but they just make it so easy these days..

I think Red Steel is alright and I love the Far Cry games. I picked this up tonight. Should I open it? I don't care about the graphics. I really wanna try it.. but.. is it worth it?

I'm glad to hear someone got it so it can finally be confirmed that it is out. EB said it would be yesterday, but IGN said January. I can't wait to get this game.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Frame rate was GOOD then? That's a relief because the IGN preview said it was bad.[/quote]

It seems like it runs at a good 30 fps most of the time.

I think another way you could describe the visuals in this game, it's like far cry for the xbox without pixel shaders, although I haven't played Instincts evolution. I have seen a few gameplay videos to compare and the visuals are very similar, the dense jungle is identical, as are the charicter models, but there are no reflections on the wate. The water is kind of similar to Zelda Twilight princess, you can see objects beneath the water sway and move in a realistic fashion but the water is very pixelated, and it patterns out in an incredibly ugly way when you get to a high distance and look out onto it.

since i haven't played evolution so it's new content to me, i'll beat it quickly and likely sell it.

It got a "POOR 4 out of 10 from IGN.:whistle2:# :whistle2:# :whistle2:#

http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html

IGN: The Wii build successfully capitalizes on Nintendo's innovative remote, enabling a comfortably high level of control speed and accuracy as gamers run and gun down opponents in the jungles and in the surrounding waters. But just as Far Cry initially set a new graphic high on PC, so does it set a new graphic low on Wii, with visuals so blurry, smeary, sluggish and ugly that you'll question whether the title could realistically run on Nintendo 64.

[quote name='IGN']Since that time, new iterations of the Far Cry franchise have shown up on major home consoles, from PlayStation 2 and Xbox to, more recently, Xbox 360.[/quote]

What? When did Far Cry show up on PS2?

[quote name='Metal Boss']It seems like it runs at a good 30 fps most of the time.

I think another way you could describe the visuals in this game, it's like far cry for the xbox without pixel shaders, although I haven't played Instincts evolution. I have seen a few gameplay videos to compare and the visuals are very similar, the dense jungle is identical, as are the charicter models, but there are no reflections on the water.[/QUOTE]

IGN: Wii is theoretically more powerful than Xbox, but it doesn't have the pixel shading benefits of Microsoft's first generation hardware. Despite the fact that it has released more than a year after Instincts, Vengeance doesn't even look half as good -- and we're not exaggerating.IGN

Truthfully, I thought Evolution's graphics & physics were slightly improved from Instincts, having owned both since release on Xbox. So, to say FC: V Wii is only half as good as Instincts is saying alot IMO.

Just imagine Far Cry Instincts Predator 360 compared to FC: V for Wii, especially in high def, let alone if Far Cry Predator had been an 360 exclusive and not a 2004 ported over/ repolished version of the Xbox original.

[quote name='rickonker']What? When did Far Cry show up on PS2?[/QUOTE]

LOL, I thought the same exact thing too. Did i miss that anouncement. I thought the PS2 version was cancelled.......?

Haha they said not even half as good as the Xbox. The funny thing is that I remember noting in one of my threads that I thought the graphics were so bad, that they were almost PS1, later changing it to in between PS1 and PS2. Looks like I was right, yet everyone kept telling me to shut up. Ah feels so good to be right!

Thats a damn shame to hear about farcry, I was looking forward to it. Knowing me though I would enjoy the game if I did get it, because I am not a graphics whore or anything.

The funny thing is, I always thought the PS2 version of Far Cry was cancelled because the graphics would be too shitty. I guess that didn't stop them here.

[quote name='Spades22']Haha they said not even half as good as the Xbox. The funny thing is that I remember noting in one of my threads that I thought the graphics were so bad, that they were almost PS1, later changing it to in between PS1 and PS2. Looks like I was right, yet everyone kept telling me to shut up. Ah feels so good to be right![/QUOTE]

cookie.jpg

Congratulations. You were right. And the funny thing is, it wasn't funny.

Alright, lets me honest here. Farcry for the Wii isn't so hot. I purchased it yesterday and had alot of hopes for it. I get home to something that has really bad frame rate. Jesus, in the cut scene alone you can actually see the refresh rate on the frames. A CUT SCENE. I have the setting on hard and so far it's been so freaking eays it's unbelievable. The controls aren't so great either. To jump you have to wiggle your nunchuck. Seriously? These people are serious? Pressing a button would have been so much simpler and more practical. Also, to zoom if you move your wiimote foward, but most of the time you end up slashing instead. I tried both remotes and I get the same results.

The graphics are well,...it's the Wii so I didn't expect anything spectacular. I'll have to take a screen shot of one of the building that looking ridiculous.

This game seemed REALY half assed. I honestly regret purchasing this. At least metal slug comes out tomorrow right? That should be fantastic.

I really hope that the quality of the Wii launch games (yes, aside from Zelda) isn't indicative of what we're going to see in the future. Hopefully it's just a matter of the developers not being used to the system, but I gotta say right now the Wii is not impressing me when it comes to graphics. Nobody expects it to beat out the 360 or PS3, but in some cases it sounds like it isn't even up to last-gen standards.

Wasnt supposed to be funny (Except to me). I solely made it to get my well deserved cookie. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[quote name='rickonker']What? When did Far Cry show up on PS2?[/QUOTE]

I think it was listed as coming out at one point-maybe the reviewer had played an early build?

Even despite these mostly terrible reports I'd still like to try it as a rental.

I wonder if it could be uglier than running the 360 game on an SD TV with composite. THAT was ugly.

[quote name='pico210']Alright, lets me honest here. Farcry for the Wii isn't so hot. I purchased it yesterday and had alot of hopes for it. I get home to something that has really bad frame rate. Jesus, in the cute scene alone you can actually see the refresh rate on the frames. A CUTE SCENE.[/quote]

I hate when cute scenes have bad framerates too...it really hurts their overall cuteness

[quote name='Scorch']Metal Slug is out now.

Glad I returned this.. Grabbed Elebits instead :D[/quote]

Good idea, I sold my copy for $10 less than I bought it, seriously disappointed. I'll be sure to watch out for reviews of future UBI titles before getting them. :cry:

[quote name='jack001']I hate when cute scenes have bad framerates too...it really hurts their overall cuteness[/quote]

Jebus :hot: I can't believe I didn't catch that. I ment CUT scenes. aha

[quote name='icruise']I really hope that the quality of the Wii launch games (yes, aside from Zelda) isn't indicative of what we're going to see in the future. Hopefully it's just a matter of the developers not being used to the system, but I gotta say right now the Wii is not impressing me when it comes to graphics. Nobody expects it to beat out the 360 or PS3, but in some cases it sounds like it isn't even up to last-gen standards.[/QUOTE]

What launch has ever been indicative of the future of that console?

SO, to whoever else played this... how much worse is it than red steel? Because I wanted to try that game, but i decided to wait for this steamer instead.

[quote name='Snake2715']What launch has ever been indicative of the future of that console?[/QUOTE]

Well... the Gamecube was I think, and the GBA. SNES and Genesis I guess. I don't know, depends on the launch. The PS2 launch wasn't really indicative, although I think like Tekken Tag Tournament looked great, and the games were sort of fun for the time (in retrospect they sure weren't!)

Look at it this way, parts from all three games would probably make a good FPS, so the possibility is there for the next round of games.

[quote name='LarryGe']oh no! that means that the only okay fps is cod3, and that doesn't have multiplayer!!!![/quote]

Thats exactly the reason why I didn't get call of duty 3, I wanted multiplayer, heard how crappy red steel was, so I waited and got Far Cry the first day it came out... while I had a bit of fun playing 2 players, the novelty quicky wore off.

[quote name='Snake2715']What launch has ever been indicative of the future of that console?[/QUOTE]
Definitely the Gamecube. The GC basically had a five year launch window. :lol:

Ok there were some exceptions but still. No offense to anyone who got a GC.

I have Call of Duty 3 for the PS2 (got it real cheap last month), and Red Steel for the Wii (full price and I personally think it's a good game). Looks like I'll keep that as it is and forget about this game.

[quote name='botticus']Look at it this way, parts from all three games would probably make a good FPS, so the possibility is there for the next round of games.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point.

[quote name='OldKai']I have Call of Duty 3 for the PS2 (got it real cheap last month), and Red Steel for the Wii (full price and I personally think it's a good game). Looks like I'll keep that as it is and forget about this game.[/QUOTE]

Since you like Red Steel, I'd try renting Far Cry, since Red Steel got bad reviews too mostly.

I know I want to rent both of them (I can't bring myself to play Call of Duty even on PC or 360/PS3, so I don't think I could muster the strength to try a Wii version).

The game isn't that bad. Graphics are pretty terrible, and that's not "Zomg cmpered to 360 itz ghey", it's as if Ubisoft didn't even think about optimizing it and ported it as fast as they could. That being said, it's not as if it's gamebreaking or horribly detracting.

It's hard to tell by that video, as with most videos they're so low resolution-I doubt the 360 version looks much different shown like that.

From what I can see though it's the same level as the 360 one, same large area, just lower resolution textures.

Doesn't look bad at all to me. I still want to rent this and Red Steel, and from the look of things probably wouldn't mind owning either.

bread's done
Back