Farcry 2/Prince of Persia/EndWar Price Drop @ GS - $39.99 (until 01/08/09)

wreckemtexastech

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
link

hey guys, the ps3 versions (and maybe 360 too) have dropped on these two super hot titles...

39.99 new
34.99 used

EXCELLENT deal on either, i was suprised to see both of them drop like this. anyhow, thought id share this w/ my fellow CAGs!

If you use the 10% coupon and edge, youre looking at ~28 bones!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sixspeednissan']End War has sold 260,000 (360) and 90,000 (PS3) since 6 week launch, Prince of Persia has sold 270,000 (360) and 160,000 (PS3) since 2 week launch, and Far Cry 2 has sold 400,000 (360) and 170,000 (PS3) since 8 week launch. These numbers are all based off American sales and came from VGchartz. The PS3 numbers are terrible. They needed a price drop bad.[/QUOTE]

Since there are more than twice as many 360s as PS3s and since a large numberof PS3 owners mainly use them as a blu ray player, the PS3 numbers don't seem particularly worse than the 360's.

w0w @ PoP..I rented it cuz I knew it wasn't worth a purchase. Like others said, very repetitive and you fight one-on-one w/enemies as opposed to groups.

Is Endwar any good? Strategy game sounds interesting..

[quote name='Decker']Since there are more than twice as many 360s as PS3s and since a large numberof PS3 owners mainly use them as a blu ray player, the PS3 numbers don't seem particularly worse than the 360's.[/quote]

more than twice as many? where are you pulling this info from?

?tion for Gamestop pro's (and employees)...I called my local GS to see if they had End War, FarCry 2 and Mercenaries 2 in and they said they didn't but had 2 out of 3....I told them I had heard about the leaked deal after Christmas of B2G1 on used and asked if I could bring them up there and get price match if I bought them today (7 day return policy)...they stated that I'd have to return the whole games and then repurchase them, the store said yes....so I called a few more stores and found 1 that had all three games and bought them today, I wanted to double check that I could indeed do the price match/return deal on Christmas and the guy behind the counter said they "don't allow people to rebuy games and the 7 day "don't like it" policy...I told him it wasn't that I didn't like the games I just wanted to get the games before everyone swooped in to grab the good ones and that I wanted a price adjustment...I don't know if he was walking the corporate line and stating they didn't do it at "his store" but if the other guy would do it at ""there store" then do it...why would one store agree to do it and another agree not to???

Trying to get the best deal I can...went ahead and got the edge card too since my total was $110 or so...saved $11...paid $3 for Edge...

any advice or past experience with this would be apprectied...

-tim

[quote name='tthome']?tion for Gamestop pro's (and employees)...I called my local GS to see if they had End War, FarCry 2 and Mercenaries 2 in and they said they didn't but had 2 out of 3....I told them I had heard about the leaked deal after Christmas of B2G1 on used and asked if I could bring them up there and get price match if I bought them today (7 day return policy)...they stated that I'd have to return the whole games and then repurchase them, the store said yes....so I called a few more stores and found 1 that had all three games and bought them today, I wanted to double check that I could indeed do the price match/return deal on Christmas and the guy behind the counter said they "don't allow people to rebuy games and the 7 day "don't like it" policy...I told him it wasn't that I didn't like the games I just wanted to get the games before everyone swooped in to grab the good ones and that I wanted a price adjustment...I don't know if he was walking the corporate line and stating they didn't do it at "his store" but if the other guy would do it at ""there store" then do it...why would one store agree to do it and another agree not to???

Trying to get the best deal I can...went ahead and got the edge card too since my total was $110 or so...saved $11...paid $3 for Edge...

any advice or past experience with this would be apprectied...

-tim[/quote]

You can take them back to any store, it doesn't have to be that one where the guy was an asshat.

And if they won't do it? Just return them and say you don't like 'em, you'll get your money back and then all you will have to do is find another store with all three games again.

I just confirmed at two local gamestops that the price drop on Prince of Persia is temporary. The guy at the register told me that it was on a promotional sale until 1/8/09. I am not sure about the other price drops for the other games though. I even looked at the receipt to see if there was some kind of promo discount and it appeared as Disc: 20.00 Promo #6404. Maybe it was just a tactic to increase game sales before the holidays? :)

[quote name='tthome'] I wanted a price adjustment...I don't know if he was walking the corporate line and stating they didn't do it at "his store" but if the other guy would do it at ""there store" then do it...why would one store agree to do it and another agree not to???
[/quote]

Bro, my cousin used to be a manager at a local GS that is/was a HUGE money maker for them in a very fancy and packed MALL.

Anyway, the point is that I can tell you from experience thats its always up to the manager. Some guys will do it, some wont. It might even be in the same store.

I had an issue were a game was like $30 one day and the next day it dropped a few bucks...the NEXT DAY it dropped not like 2 weeks later.... to make it worse I bought it at closing time....so when I went back to get a price adjustment the NEXT MORNING all I got was an attitude and no go.

So what did I do?

I went to ANOTHER GS and got a cool manager and it was done, no hassles, no problems.

My cousin BTW quit after 10 months as a store manager because he said working for them sucked.

[quote name='Yanksfan']PoP is well worth 60. This price drop makes it even more of a great purchase.[/quote]

Argh, I want it but the backlog of games I have and the Christmas games makes this impossible for me. Hell, I am trying to still finish up Bioshock and Mass Effect before Christmas.

I was told this is temporary. I purchased it today.

Luckily, i got the limited collector edition as well , for 39.99!

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get PoP, but given my backlog I can't justify it. Besides, at this rate it'll be $20 somewhere likely by the end of January. I might as well wait it out and see how much cheaper it will go.

I considered getting Far Cry, but I know my wife got me like 4 games for Christmas so I think I'll just wait until it drops even more. If I get some cash for Christmas I may get it anyway, but most likely not.

My local store has Banjo, PoP, and Far Cry 2 used... hope they stay there until Friday, as I'd love to pick up all three for ~$63 after Edge and promo (and less than that out of pocket, considering that all of my store credit is at least 2:1)

[quote name='Dynasty1756']wow, i am actually surprised people are finding Far Cr 2 used for $34.99? I pm'd a couple of GS close by in Arizona and they said that it was $54.99 used and the price I saw online was only a special price online. I took a print out to them and showed them but got shot down[/quote]

Edit/Fixed:

I went into the same Gamestop in Phx Santan Village 30 mins ago and to my surprise I saw Far Cry 2 for $34.99. Went up to the register and with no questions asked the manager who was really nice to give me a price adjustment on the previous Far Cry 2 i bought for $54.99. He happly did it and aplogized for any inconvience I had when I bought the last one. Got my $26 bucks back :cool:

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get PoP, but given my backlog I can't justify it. Besides, at this rate it'll be $20 somewhere likely by the end of January. I might as well wait it out and see how much cheaper it will go.[/QUOTE]
Essentially, if you bought this with Far Cry 2 and another game around 35 bucks used during B2G1 it would be ¢21.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get PoP, but given my backlog I can't justify it. Besides, at this rate it'll be $20 somewhere likely by the end of January. I might as well wait it out and see how much cheaper it will go.[/QUOTE]
Essentially, if you bought this with Far Cry 2 and another game around 35 bucks used during B2G1 it would be $21 after Edge Card discount.

[quote name='KingBroly']Pretty much every major release this year except for Gears 2 and Fable II have had a significant cut in price, at least for a limited time.[/quote]
Amazon had Fable II for 40 bucks shipped on cyber Monday.

I believe the price was just weekend deal. I called GS yesterday and they told me the price ended when they closed Sunday. At least at my GS anyway.

I was gonna say, if the publishers decided upon this, and not GS it would be the dumbest thing they could do. if they think they were going to attract more sales by dropping it, no because it would not be promoted enough. And for the people who were really going to buy it, they were still going to purchase it regardless of it being 60 or 40. They should have just kept it at 60.

[quote name='Natural1der']GameStop Sale

:360::ps3:

$39.99

FarCry II
Prince of Persia
Tom Clancy's Endwar[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the repost but we already know about this. It is a thread that has been open for days talking about this.

[quote name='turgore2008']i think this is the new regular price.[/QUOTE]
No, these are sale prices exclusive to Gamestop until around 1/8/09.

Sigh...my brother wants Far Cry 2, Uncharted and Burnout Paradise.

I was hoping to maybe get the B2G1 Free deal...but I don't think it'll happen. I'd have to wait until after Christmas...and of course, the games I'm going to get him are for...well, Christmas. I guess I'll just have to drop the dough for all 3.

Picked up a shiny new copy of both Prince of Persia and Far Cry 2. Been hearing too many good things about far cry 2 not to bite @ 40 and I been itching to play POP so I'm happy @ 40. Now where is the Mirrors Edge for 40 sale.

Picked up a used copy of POP for $31.50 yesterday. Weird thing, though: It came with two discs, the 2nd labeled "Limited Edition: Bonus Content" and the case had the flap for a 2nd disc, but the case art was for the regular edition. I'd understand them giving the wrong version if it was just the discs, but the case clearly was set up for two discs. Lucky me, I suppose.

I, too. got the email that this price cut was a GS-exclusive until 1/9, but I agree with panasonic's comment about good luck to them jacking the price back up after the sale period.

[quote name='c.gibbits']I was gonna say, if the publishers decided upon this, and not GS it would be the dumbest thing they could do. if they think they were going to attract more sales by dropping it, no because it would not be promoted enough. And for the people who were really going to buy it, they were still going to purchase it regardless of it being 60 or 40. They should have just kept it at 60.[/quote]This is so inarticulate and idiotic, I suspect you're suffering from hypothermia. Under this non-logic, no one should EVER do a sale because if people really want it, they'll pay top dollar for it. I guess we don't need a site for cheap ass gamers to share deals because we should all be happy to pay FULL PRICE if we're interested in it at all. Pffft. I bought it for $30 and change PRECISELY because it was half-off MSRP. I would NEVER have bought it for $60.

For some, its a must buy immediately, for others, its a wait and see. So many of Eventually, they all wind up in the discount rack. AS Cag's we probably should work on our backlog before we venture into paying full price on a new release, but sometimes, you just can't help yourself for that one game.

[quote name='DirkBelig']This is so inarticulate and idiotic, I suspect you're suffering from hypothermia. Under this non-logic, no one should EVER do a sale because if people really want it, they'll pay top dollar for it. I guess we don't need a site for cheap ass gamers to share deals because we should all be happy to pay FULL PRICE if we're interested in it at all. Pffft. I bought it for $30 and change PRECISELY because it was half-off MSRP. I would NEVER have bought it for $60.[/quote]

To be fair though, you bought it *used* so Ubisoft is not going to see any money off your sale at all. From their point of view, you *still* havent bought their game. ;)

My price point may be lower than others. The list of games I'll drop more than $50 is minuscule, but as prices go down, my interest goes up. When BG&E dropped to $20, it was a no-brainer for me. Some games are worth more than others to me, just as it is with anyone.

@DirkBelig
Oh, I get your point, and at some point all games should drop in price. When sales start to slow, a price drop could spur new sales. However, if this was an Ubisoft move (and we dont know that for sure), it seems premature to drop the price so much before Christmas. If this started the day after Xmas, I wouldnt be so suprised. But PoP seems ripe to be a Christmas gift. It almost seems like throwing away money when demand is still (potentially) decent.

Now if it's a GS move, that seems fine to me. Maybe they understand, like we do, that pretty much all Ubi games are destined for the bargin bin. If they can get some of their units out the door before the inveitible price drop when *everyone* will have the new MSRP, then they are ahead of the game.

As Gamestop is one of the *few* companies still making money in this econmy, I wouldnt be suprised if the latter scenario is closer to the truth.

bread's done
Back