Farcry 2/Prince of Persia/EndWar Price Drop @ GS - $39.99 (until 01/08/09)

wreckemtexastech

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
link

hey guys, the ps3 versions (and maybe 360 too) have dropped on these two super hot titles...

39.99 new
34.99 used

EXCELLENT deal on either, i was suprised to see both of them drop like this. anyhow, thought id share this w/ my fellow CAGs!

If you use the 10% coupon and edge, youre looking at ~28 bones!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, EndWar is a mediocre game (according to reviews), Far Cry 2 has been a relative disappointment commercially and Prince of Persia may be suffering from the perception it's a MOTS 4th installment in the PoP series and not a reboot of the franchise with less emo and more platforming. With all the AAA titles out there fighting for limited dollars, a last-minute price slash before Christmas is Ubi's gambit to pick up some more sales. Better to move more copies at $40 than fewer at $60. This is first-day ECON101 stuff: opportunity cost.

Whatever the reason, who really cares? Cheaper games is cheaper games. Quit whining and pocket the cash, yo!

I'm still going to wait on PoP and Far Cry until the new year since I'm not in a pinch for games to play right now. Both are definitely worth $40 (from what I've heard) but I just can't justify buying any more games until the new year.

Anyone know if the PoP deal is applied in-store?

I went to two Gamestops today, and they told me the discount is only applied online. Maybe it's just my luck, if not I'll order online.

[quote name='RyanTheGNR']Anyone know if the PoP deal is applied in-store?

I went to two Gamestops today, and they told me the discount is only applied online. Maybe it's just my luck, if not I'll order online.[/quote]They're full of crap. It's applied in-store, and when they total it out, it'll end up being $39.99 + any applicable tax.

[quote name='shrike4242']They're full of crap. It's applied in-store, and when they total it out, it'll end up being $39.99 + any applicable tax.[/quote]

I'll be sure to go again later today then, thanks.

[quote name='hostyl1']@DirkBelig
Oh, I get your point, and at some point all games should drop in price. When sales start to slow, a price drop could spur new sales. However, if this was an Ubisoft move (and we dont know that for sure), it seems premature to drop the price so much before Christmas. If this started the day after Xmas, I wouldnt be so suprised. But PoP seems ripe to be a Christmas gift. It almost seems like throwing away money when demand is still (potentially) decent.

Now if it's a GS move, that seems fine to me. Maybe they understand, like we do, that pretty much all Ubi games are destined for the bargin bin. If they can get some of their units out the door before the inveitible price drop when *everyone* will have the new MSRP, then they are ahead of the game.

As Gamestop is one of the *few* companies still making money in this econmy, I wouldnt be suprised if the latter scenario is closer to the truth.[/quote]

I took a second job at Circuit City and Prince of Persia was and is not moving at $60. Everyone's buying the new Call of Duty, Rock Band 2, or Guitar Hero World Tour. Not only are there are too many AAA games out right now but they're competing against fun music games that cost almost $200.

Damn, it's a shame Far Cry 2 got reset back to $60 (new, that is). Amazon still has the XB360 version for $40.

Far Cry 2 @ Amazon.com:

:360: $39.99
:ps3: $56.99

I bought limited edition copy of POP for the 360 used. I was just wondering if the limited edition came with the same artwork on the game disc as the regular edition? My copy has the regular artwork for the game disc and the limited edition artwork for the bonus disc.

I bought PoP the day it came out but luckily was going to wait to play it til Christmas so it was unopened and I got it pricematched, but wow. This game is really amazing. I never finish games, ever, like.. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 of the 25ish 360 games I've owned that I've seen the ending to. But I'm 75% done with PoP and I've been playing it for 3 days. I don't really mind that, I kinda like that I can see the end in sight. But if you haven't picked it up yet, you really should, I feel like it's worth $60 easily, I know I'll play this again in the future.

Don't take the whole 'not dying' thing as a serious issue, you still get punished for messing up, it'll just take you back to the last time you were on solid ground, and on some chains that can be a real long ways, and it's fun flowing along acrobatic moves, so it feels bad to get stopped.

Simply put it's an extremely fun and beautiful game worth checking out, especially for $40 :)

Lol randomness over, just thought I should tell people with this sale going on and all :)

Not sure if anyone has posted this. (Didn't see it) But I was browsing the Gamestop site, happened to notice that the new Prince of Persia is at 39.99 new, 34.99 Used.

Still probably gonna rent instead of buy.

Old news. Rumour has it being a temporary price drop, and it'll go back up to $60 next week. Either way, if you really want to play it, just rent it. Not really a purchase unless you absolutely love the graphics.

This was a great deal after X-Mas, when it was B2G1. A friend of mine and I split the cost 3 ways, he got his own PoP and Endwar for $50 total and I got PoP for $25

Rent it. It's waaaay easy and the collecting orbs kills me about as much as playing werehog in Sonic Unleashed.

[quote name='SoulReaver']I'd just rent it, people say its really short (6 hours I heard).[/QUOTE]

lol. It took me 15 my first time through. Even the Trophy for completion time is to beat the game in 12. You heard wrong :p

If you like platforming, it's a lot of fun. The combat is lame though. Best ending to a game in a long time, IMO.

Another thumbs up for PoP. I picked it up after Christmas for $40 at GS, and it was money well spent.

I had purchased Prince of Persia: Limited Edition on 12/6 and tried to get it price matched today. I got a lot of trouble from a manager because he didn't understand the concept of a PM. I explained it to him as a return and re-purchase of the same game. Problem was that GS only accepts returns of unopened games. I didn't have the physical game with me, but technically it would be an exchange with a game I already have, so why should I have to have the game with me? Other retail stores have no problem with doing a price match with just the receipt. I probably spent 30 mins. talking with the manager explaining the situation and got no where.

I finally decided to go to another store and just buy another copy of the LE version at the sale price. Problem was I had to drive to about 3 different GS before I coul get it though. One cashier quoted me the full price and refused to see if the game rung up at $30. She was very convinced that the sale price didn't start until 1/9/09 in fact. I even asked if I could buy the game a day early and get it PMed the next day. She said it was a no go and that that isn't allowed. Come on GS, you can't PM a game after one day?!? I finally found one employee who knew what guest service meant who rung up the game to check for the sale price. I called corporate and got the phone number for the district manager to complain about my experience. She has yet to return my call, even though the customer service rep stated that I would definitely get a call back. If I had known that I could've gotten the LE version somewhere else, I would've. Gamestop is ridiculous!

So is the sale technically over. I was wanting to pick it up when I get paid tommorow but if its back to 60 I'll wait until it goes down permanently.

BTW, didn't the next to last GS price drop list have PoP in it?

Also, does the used price drop stick, because GS.com is showing $60 new, $35 used still. It's not a great flip, but decent...

[quote name='converse']Also, does the used price drop stick, because GS.com is showing $60 new, $35 used still. It's not a great flip, but decent...[/quote]

GS.com doesn't update until 5 am pacific.

[quote name='emg28']GS.com doesn't update until 5 am pacific.[/quote]

Well used Prince of Persia still showing at only $34.99 before edge or discounts @ Gamestop.com!

But alas new copies are back up to $59.99 :cry:

[quote name='Xfactor4']Well used Prince of Persia still showing at only $34.99 before edge or discounts @ Gamestop.com!

But alas new copies are back up to $59.99 :cry:[/quote]

I bought both POP (PS3) and EndWar (360) fo $34.99(31.49 after edge) at lunch today. Scanned fine, beautiful copies. :)

bread's done
Back