FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

I plan to keep playing with my bracket all the way till Wed night.
haha hell you almost have to with all this injury nonsense going on.

See what Sepp said today? If you are against Qatar WC, its cause your racist.

Also this was freaking hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Last Week Tonight is a quality show that everyone should watch. I enjoy it immensely. 

FIFA is the most corrupt organization out there. They are so obviously blatant about their corruption, to the point where they don't even try to hide it.  All this news about Qatar has been out there for months, if not years now, and FIFA just doesn't give a fuck.  You have to admire their blatant disregard for their fans, members and the public/media. No modern organization in the US could survive such bad PR.  

Last edited by a moderator:
One day left!!!!! Tomorrow cannot come soon enough.

In the meantime enjoy these highlights from WC2010.

http://youtu.be/-gVArx2avdI

This made the rounds around the office yesterday. A few guys from Goldman Sachs wrote a report on the World Cup and Economics, including an interesting break down/prediction of how the tournament will play out, based on a number of factors. They post odds on every team winning, based on their algorithm.  There's also a full page analysis of every team in the tourney, written from an economics perspective.  Worth a read if you're a soccer fan. 

Goldman Sachs World Cup Prediction

Just joined the group... Changed my pick from Belgium after the recent injuries and now have them losing to Argentina in the quarters...

Just joined the group... Changed my pick from Belgium after the recent injuries and now have them losing to Argentina in the quarters...
Have the same in mine now too.

I know I should put Brazil winning with the homefield advantage but I just dont think they are a better team than a few other countries.

Have the same in mine now too.

I know I should put Brazil winning with the homefield advantage but I just dont think they are a better team than a few other countries.
I have brazil winning... Just feel like it finally has to come to them after the confederations cup outing.

Go USA! Even though I don't see them making it past group stage this year I picked them anyway to advance at least to knockout. I think either Spain or Brazil will take it.

This is not game related, but I honestly think I got hired for a job because of my love for soccer :lol:

Just wanted to share, thought it was funny

This is not game related, but I honestly think I got hired for a job because of my love for soccer :lol:

Just wanted to share, thought it was funny
That or they just really liked your "soccer balls"

All joking aside, congrats on the job.

How do you think soccer tied into it?

I have the Netherlands not making it out of the group and in the upset of the century...Chile defeating Brazil in the first match of the knockout round! I just see Chile getting out of that tough group and I feel Chile has as good a chance as any to knock out the hosts. Needless to say, they are my dark horse of the tournament.

I think Brazil sneaks out with a W today. I see a draw up until the 70th when Brazil will get a late goal to take the 3 points. Holy smokes the freakin WORLD CUP is about to start!!!!

That would make for a hell of start to the tournament. Also, it would effectively knock Mexico and Cameroon out of the tournament before they even played their first game.  

I have the Netherlands not making it out of the group and in the upset of the century...Chile defeating Brazil in the first match of the knockout round! I just see Chile getting out of that tough group and I feel Chile has as good a chance as any to knock out the hosts. Needless to say, they are my dark horse of the tournament.

I think Brazil sneaks out with a W today. I see a draw up until the 70th when Brazil will get a late goal to take the 3 points. Holy smokes the freakin WORLD CUP is about to start!!!!
I have Netherlands winning it all. Totally illogical and not likely to happen but I can't root against them. That said, in my bracket I too have them knocking Brazil out. As I stated earlier in the thread, Brazil will have an incredibly tough road to the finals.

That or they just really liked your "soccer balls"

All joking aside, congrats on the job.

How do you think soccer tied into it?
Somehow when we were discussing the hours I want to work I started talking about how my husband plays soccer during the week on Thurs/Fridays, and we got to talking about how we both used to play soccer and world cup. My whole interview from that point on was pretty much soccer, so I think it helped us bond :D/

I have Netherlands winning it all. Totally illogical and not likely to happen but I can't root against them. That said, in my bracket I too have them knocking Brazil out. As I stated earlier in the thread, Brazil will have an incredibly tough road to the finals.
It's a very tough group to pick as I feel all 3 of those teams (throwing in Spain obviously) have potential to make a deep run in this tournament but 1 will not even get out of the group. Meanwhile in Group E...

Brazil 0-1 Croatia (Marcelo OG '7)

Croatia is looking great so far. The game should really be 2-0. 

Still stand by my 3-2.

That equalizer by neymar hurts though.

edit: maybe not, brazil turning the screws.

edit 2: brazil will get another before half.

Wow that penalty on Croatia was BS. I have no idea what the refs saw
Shits rigged, first opportunity for ref to give a pk.

What a fucking travesty this game is now.

Thats about as awful of a pk you will ever see. The croat wasnt even touching Fred when he went down.

fucking refs ruining a great match.

Damnit.

Brazil 3 - 1 Croatia. If Brazil plans to win this WC they'll have to play way better. The Croatian goalie was shit.

Hulk was also shit.

Hey Kilik - how did Oscar not get sniff towards the end of the season? What the hell happened between him and Mourihno?

Hulk was also shit.

Hey Kilik - how did Oscar not get sniff towards the end of the season? What the hell happened between him and Mourihno?
He got injured. Hip abductor.

Love how if any player isnt playing for Jose its automatically that there is something between Jose and the player. :roll:

Here are my predictions for today's games

11:30 a.m. - Mexico 2 - 1 Cameroon, ESPN2

2:30 p.m. - Spain 1 - 2 Netherlands, ESPN (wishful thinking on my part) 
5:30 p.m. - Chile 3 - 0 Australia, ESPN2

Here are my predictions for today's games

11:30 a.m. - Mexico 2 - 1 Cameroon, ESPN2

2:30 p.m. - Spain 1 - 2 Netherlands, ESPN (wishful thinking on my part)
5:30 p.m. - Chile 3 - 0 Australia, ESPN2
Cameroon beats mexico, they are way out of form right now. Old Man Etoo gets a brace.

Spain 2-0, just cause.

Chile is about right. Maybe a late goal by the Aussies on a corner or something?

bread's done
Back