Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

wow
i saw it on the computer yesterday, but just downloaded the trailer off of psn and am totally floored. Looks beyoootiful

I wonder though I hope that the little bits of slowdown during battles is a kink that they'll be working out before the game's release...

I think those will be ironed out by the time the game ships. It's definitely a lot smoother than the internet version. Final Fantasy games always have a locked framerate. Or at least very unnoticeable.

[quote name='imascrub']just hope the framerate's not as bad as people say Lost Odyssey on the 360 is (or so i heard)[/quote]

With the optional install it's better now. It was still pretty good even without the install.

The problem with Lost Odyssey was not the framerate. It was the load times, which were 10-20 seconds a piece for random battles. With the install, they're about 5-10 a piece.

The framerate definitely looks smooth as hell, except for the battle scenes, but I'm sure it'll be locked at 30 when it's released.

Just read this article on positive aspects for Sony of FF 13 coming to 360. http://www.ps3center.net//news/2768/ffxiii-going-multiplatform-how-does-it-really-affect-sony/ I think a big question mark and the most positive would be if 360 owners eventually buy a PS3 for FF games on it, like FF 13 Versus, after becoming a fan of FF by trying it on 360. Anyone have thoughts on that? The other thing to keep in mind is that Sony will stand to get ~8.6% from the game sales on 360 since that's how much stock they own in SE.

I remember when I was emotionally invested enough in a console that I could read an article like that and take it seriously.

In my defense, the NES was pretty amazing. Also I was probably about nine years old.

sorry for the stupid question but what is the difference between FF13 and Versus 13.
I read it about it somewhere long time ago but forgot ><

do you guys plan to buy the limited edition of both games?
i assume each limited edition would be around 90-100 or even more =O

since FFXIII will be out before versus 13, I can do the T3G1 at eb for the preorder of FFXII =D

[quote name='Xeph820']since FFXIII will be out before versus 13, I can do the T3G1 at eb for the preorder of FFXII =D[/quote]

Why would you trade in 3 games for an older one?

[quote name='metaly']I remember when I was emotionally invested enough in a console that I could read an article like that and take it seriously.

In my defense, the NES was pretty amazing. Also I was probably about nine years old.[/quote]
I don't agree with every point in the article, but I don't see how you would need to be "emotionally invested" to think that owners of only 360 who become fans of FF might decide to get a PS3 for the other games in the FF13 universe, or that if the game sells on 360 that Sony will get money by holding 8.6% of SE stock.

Ehh... that article is fine for the most part, but whomever wrote is obviously has no idea how the stock market works. Just because Sony owns 8.26% of the stock issued by Square does not mean that they receive 8.26% of the profits.

Maybe the share value will go up, maybe they will get some dividends... but they will definitely not be raking in 8.26% of the profits on the sales on the Xbox units.

I agree. When I was typing up what I had remembered I originally typed in profit and then I quickly removed it because I thought no that doesn't happen. They will benefit if the game does well. Obviously they would benefit more if it was not on 360, but this is just pointing out any potential positives from the situation for Sony.

[quote name='dank']i hope they release a console with this so i finally have a reason to get a ps3.[/QUOTE]

omg they are in japan. maybe in us too

Final Japanese box art released:
41gTusSgSlL.jpg

Release date announced...

Link

Out March 9 for Europe and North America on XBox 360 and PS3. It is coming out a lot sooner then i expected.

That is awesome. I wasn't expecting it until June or July. Already got my preorder in for the 360 version, now I'm wondering if they'll do any sort of collector's edition.

Well i will be being the Japanese Collectors edition as I will be there when it comes out. and whatever super rare ultra deluxe edition they decide to release in the states. I can't wait!

[quote name='jdioutkast']Release date announced...

Link

Out March 9 for Europe and North America on XBox 360 and PS3. It is coming out a lot sooner then i expected.[/QUOTE]
Impostor, I see you trying to steal my name.

Jokes on you guys, it's actually coming out September 3rd!

I thought I heard somewhere that this wasn't going to come out on Xbox 360? Looks like they got the issues resolved with Microsoft...atleast judging by the fact that Amazon is selling Xbox 360 preorders.

And they are changing the theme song for NA/EU release. Instead of getting the song COMPOSED FOR THE GAME by Masashi Hamauzu... we get a song by Leona Lewis off of her new album in a lame attempt to appeal to westerners. :bomb:

[quote name='Jodou']Impostor, I see you trying to steal my name.

Jokes on you guys, it's actually coming out September 3rd![/QUOTE]

If you look at the join date, your stealing mine :lol:

[quote name='jdioutkast']If you look at the join date, your stealing mine :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but I've been using mine for over 10 years now. I have screens!

I like the Leona Lewis song enough. Sure she has European and American mainstream appeal, but so what? The idea of a theme song is for an RPG is very Japanese and I don't think this cross-promotion will accomplish much of anything.

Who the fuck is Leona Lewis? I wish this was actually coming out later than it is, early next year is too stacked with games.

[quote name='DQT']I like the Leona Lewis song enough. Sure she has European and American mainstream appeal, but so what? The idea of a theme song is for an RPG is very Japanese and I don't think this cross-promotion will accomplish much of anything.[/QUOTE]

Which is exaclty why I find it frustrating that they are changing the song. It's not going to make Leona Lewis fans care about FFXIII, and Final Fantasy fans, if they care at all, would most likely rather have the original song that was actually composed for the game. If she were singing an english version of the song, I wouldn't care nearly as much. Instead we get a random song off of her new album. I don't have anything against HER specifically - I'd just rather have the song composed specifically for the game.

[quote name='J7.']Who the fuck is Leona Lewis? I wish this was actually coming out later than it is, early next year is too stacked with games.[/QUOTE]

She's a British R&B / pop singer who was the winner of X-factor a couple of years ago.

I updated the thread title. I'm mega hyped for the day. :D
[quote name='DoriftoShoes']I thought I heard somewhere that this wasn't going to come out on Xbox 360? Looks like they got the issues resolved with Microsoft...atleast judging by the fact that Amazon is selling Xbox 360 preorders.[/QUOTE]That was FFXIV, which is still PS3 and PC exclusive. FFXIII is exclusive to PS3 in Japan. Although, anyone who owns a PS3 and a 360 should be buying FFXIII on PS3 anyway (no disc swap, no PS3 install, designed for PS3, FF is a huge part of PlayStation, etc.).

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is also just for the PS3. So in the end, PS3 gets all three of the announced Final Fantasy games.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although, anyone who owns a PS3 and a 360 should be buying FFXIII on PS3 anyway (no disc swap, no PS3 install, designed for PS3, FF is a huge part of PlayStation, etc.).[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been telling myself too, though I currently have a pre-order for the 360 version that I got in on the cheap. Still, I'm thinking that I need to change my pre-order from the 360 to the PS3 knowing that the game was originally developed on the PS3.

Still, unless either version gets reviewed poorly, it's really hard to say.

Now, if there was some sort of feature that you could take advantage of between FFXIII and FXIII Versus, then that would be reason enough to definitely get it on the PS3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although, anyone who owns a PS3 and a 360 should be buying FFXIII on PS3 anyway (no disc swap, no PS3 install, designed for PS3, FF is a huge part of PlayStation, etc.).[/QUOTE]

I'm buying it on 360 just for you TMK.

Although now that I upgraded my PS3 hard drive (20gb was ridiculous, I can't believe I endured it for over 2 years) I might go with the PS3 version. I'll probably flip a coin once it comes out and I have the money.

[quote name='Halo05']I'll probably flip a coin once it comes out and I have the money.[/QUOTE]Heads is for the PS3 version.
DOUBLE-HEADED-QUARTER.jpg

Yeah I read about Famitsu's score on IGN. I didn't really think people cared if it got a perfect score or not, but I guess I was wrong. :nottalking:

Not yet. I'm surprised, but at the same time not surprised by the 39/40. They probably did it to give the illusion of some "integrity" the magazine has. But I'm also surprised that Square's moneyhat jar wasn't enough for a perfect score.

bread's done
Back