Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']http://kotaku.com/5422026/famitsu-final-fantasy-xiii-misses-perfect-score-[story-spoiler]

/sigh[/QUOTE]

High level of strategy: winner. That was my main complaint about so much of FFXII. You were either navigating through menus way too much to select a chosen few spells (Bubble, Haste, etc) or just had Gambits set up to do way too much of the work. It felt a bit too simplistic, though at the same time that I wasn't really in control.

I was going to wait for this one initially, as finding a used FF title isn't exactly hard, but since I got a good deal on it, I think I have to bite.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Queue the street riots!

Anyone seen a translation of the review text?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, those Kotaku kids are fucking retarded. How in the fuck can they be so sure that it is a perfect game when exactly none of them have played it. For all they know, you start up the game and a boot flies out of your PS3 and hits you in the nuts.

Famitsu also has XII as the highest rated FF of all time, and the only one to receive a perfect score. I can't agree with that.

[quote name='LordKefka06']
This week's Shounen Jump magazine reveals that Square Enix will be including in each copy of Final Fantasy XIII a campaign code for next year's Final Fantasy XIV. The code will ship with the first print run of FFXIII (which will presumably be in the millions of units).
Source.[/QUOTE]

Don't know how reputable these guys are, but they said it's just a code for an in-game item and it's only in Japan. :whistle2:(

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11309

It's funny how the famitsu story is picked up by literally every site over here. It is really that big a deal? Oh no, -1 point, that's millions of sales lost!

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']It's funny how the famitsu story is picked up by literally every site over here. It is really that big a deal? Oh no, -1 point, that's millions of sales lost![/QUOTE]
It's only because Bayonetta got a perfect score that it's making any headlines. As if you can compare separate genres scorewise. . .

Square Enix has just confirmed a couple of differences between the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 release of Final Fantasy XIII. In an interview in Famitsu they state that the video and audio is compressed on the Xbox 360 DVDs while the Playstation 3 version will be uncompressed and appear on a dual-layer blu-ray disc. The 360 version will obviously be released on multiple DVDs. This means that the uncompressed game will be 25GB minimum. http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2009/12/09/final-fantasy-xiii-ps3-and-360-differences-announced.html

[quote name='J7.']Square Enix has just confirmed a couple of differences between the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 release of Final Fantasy XIII. In an interview in Famitsu they state that the video and audio is compressed on the Xbox 360 DVDs while the Playstation 3 version will be uncompressed and appear on a dual-layer blu-ray disc. The 360 version will obviously be released on multiple DVDs. This means that the uncompressed game will be 25GB minimum. http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2009/12/09/final-fantasy-xiii-ps3-and-360-differences-announced.html[/QUOTE]

Just to play devil's advocate; SE could downgrade the quality of the videos/FMVs to 720P and save a good amount of space that way AND THEN compress it a bit...definitely getting the PS3 version though.

Didn't we already know this?

Anyway, I just hope they don't go overboard like with FF12's audio. That game really should have shipped on two discs to make room for all of the voicework without compressing it into tinniness.

This is just official confirmation. It's also great to hear it will not be compressed on PS3, as that was less known, and that it is dual layered Bluray.

This game hopefully will be good, and I expect it to be a quality JRPG at the least. Versus FFXIII seems like a cool idea, since they are doing it like Kingdom Hearts (Which I personally loved).

Ah well, I guess I'll have to appease TMK and get the PS3 version if there are going to be some little differences.

[quote name='Halo05']Ah well, I guess I'll have to appease TMK and get the PS3 version if there are going to be some little differences.[/QUOTE]
Achievements, man! Come on.

:cool:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Achievements, man! Come on.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah... hmmm...

Nah, can't do it. I'm making a huge assumption that I'll actually have time to play through an RPG that isn't on DS or PSP. I still have Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, and Tales of Vesperia sitting here, 3 out of 4 are unopened.

I'm spending a lot of time telling myself that I shouldn't get the import.

I shouldn't get the import.

I shouldn't get the import.

GAAH.

Dang, I just heard the new theme song for the NA release and it's not very good. Hopefully they change it or something >_>

Battle Theme is nice. Not sure what to think on the Boss Battle theme yet. I should listen to some of the other themes too when I get a chance.

Meh. I didn't realize that it had that black strip where the buttons are. I would've preferred it to be white or pink like the rest of the system.

I believe I have said this before elsewhere, but I'll say it again. Unless this game has extreme and sudden bouts of hilarious nudity, I will not be purchasing it. That goes for the 360 version as well.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's a Chocobo for Home and Avatars. Mark this post.[/QUOTE]
If they announce it for Home, that would be tight. I never use the thing but free is free.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah... I want a Lightning/Serah/Fang outfit for my Home avatar. So I may walk around and get even more pedo's bothering me. Hellz yeah![/QUOTE]

lol, I'm sure you are used to that seeing as you are a World of Warcraft player! :wall:

No demo = fail. Seriously, you don't say that you have something cool for us that will hold us over until next year...and then not have it be the demo.

[quote name='Ryukahn']lol, I'm sure you are used to that seeing as you are a World of Warcraft player! :wall:[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I am not a chick. I play all my games with female avatars though, given the choice.

For WoW, most people on the server know who I am so it's not really a big deal :)

Those really aren't that hard (all items excluded). There are also 16 Secret Trophies which are story based. But if you have a guide, it shouldn't be that bad.

I'm just thinking of how Zodiac Spear was impossible to find unless you read the guide way in advance. Learn all abilities to the fullest? Not sure what that means unless you have to unlock every spell and have someone in your party get them. Definitely no good if you have to grind exp for that.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm just thinking of how Zodiac Spear was impossible to find unless you read the guide way in advance. Learn all abilities to the fullest? Not sure what that means unless you have to unlock every spell and have someone in your party get them. Definitely no good if you have to grind exp for that.[/QUOTE]

I still maintain that the Zodiac Spear was one of the stupidest ways imaginable to put in a good weapon. There was no indication at all in the game that those four chests were special in any way. Hell, one of them was on that beach surrounded by like, 7 or so other chests. Even though I had a guide from the start, so I knew which ones not to touch, it still annoyed the heck out of me, as anyone playing the game normally would have 0 clue. I can't really recall anything that moronic in any of the preceding FF games; at least none of the PS/SNES ones.

As for 'Learn all abilities to the fullest,' I'm wondering if that's akin to the Fire/Fira/Firaga chain of abilities ramping up, and simply means that you need to learn all of the levels in all sets of skills. All in all though, those trophies look like standard fare, with most just being logical time-sink extensions of stuff you would already be doing throughout the game (mastering classes, skills, etc). I'm wondering what the 'hidden' trophies are going to be though. I'm not much of a trophy whore (most of my trophy-enabled games are 30-35%, unless you earn a majority from simply playing through the story) but I have a feeling SE is just going to make a majority of those be related to major plot points.

Crap, now I have to restart FF XII to get that spear. Does the strategy guide for 12 properly list which chests to avoid? I didn't read much into the guide because I didn't want to spoil the game.

It does. I believe it has them in little boxes with the caption of something like "Avoid that treasure!" only a bit more catchy. I'm fairly sure that there are four treasures you need to avoid. EDIT: Just found and checked my own copy of the guide. Not as noticeable as I thought, but the sections are called 'Don't Touch that Treasure: Part #.' If you have the regular edition of the guide (dunno if the page numbers are different in the CE) the warnings are on pages 74, 82, 92, and 166. I'm going through the guide again to kind of relive the game without having the play however many hours :p

I also just saw that you can apparently get the Zodiac Spear in a chest...that has a 10% chance of spawning, and when it does spawn, it only has a 10% chance of containing the spear.

It was fun getting the spear, as it's just beastly. Nothing was more fun to me than going back to Giruvegan and hunting down those huge orbs. That's one thing I hope that carries over to XIII: the style of that area. As much as I didn't care for XII's battle system/majority of characters, Giruvegan was just breathtaking, from the exterior with the Guardian to the myriad different areas on that crazy crystal map.

I suppose I just miss the days when you knew where to go to get your ultimate and most powerful weapons, but the challenge was due to the enemies being tough, not due to a lack of clairvoyance. They did the same thing in X-2 with a lot of little chests and things that you could easily miss, so I'm hoping this isn't something we see in XIII.

Thanks for the FF XII spear stuff, sorry to go off topic.

I wonder if I can manage to push through FF XII before XIII comes out...

bread's done
Back