Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='KingBroly']Where do I get Growth Egg again? Or do I already have it since I beat the game?[/QUOTE]

More specifics can be found in the spoiler tag here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6960387&postcount=910

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I was talking about the Japanese site and the min values they use for the weapons, not your page. Was just giving you a heads up if you were gonna use the Exp needed to max from there and were confused as to which entry = which weapon.[/QUOTE]

I was just refering to the differences between my site and theirs on base stats. Not a big deal regardless as I can get accurate translations from a friend if needed since my translation skills are very very sub par at best. It'll just have to take a backburner right now since I've promised my friend this cisco stuff for the past three weeks or so. Hopefully I'll get to the FFXIII stuff again tomorrow or tonight.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah he kinda of rapes if you're not prepared... (read: Deceptisol + Bravera/Kain Lance/Highwind! :p)[/quote]

It probable didn't help that I'm still in Ch. 11 with 4-5k HP per character. :lol:

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']
New marks become unlocked as you complete the ones that are available to you. If you can't find any more either 1. you missed one, or 2.
there are some that require you to beat Bart in Oerba
. You should keep going until Chapter 13 then waypoint back to Pulse, you'll have a lot more options then and be able to do most of them.[/QUOTE]

Ch. 11:
What's the cutoff point for Ch.11, is that after Oerba? I ran through the mines for a bit but didn't see any available Ci'eth stones, so decided to run back to the plains area to check again.

So for Mission 55, what should my stats be? I tried it
terribly and died in about 4 seconds
. The similar enemy across the way I put up a good fight against, but I still died.

I think I'm going to do some more missions, first. Particularly Mission 17. Maybe I'll switch to Vanille since she just learned Death.

Ochu is cake compared to Neochu. If you don't have at least everyones 5th roles, you won't be doing it without Death. Now if you want to use Death, you need a Sentinel with 9-10k health which shouldn't be too hard to get, but maybe a little time consuming. I actually switched to Snow instead of Fang for this simply because he had more health.

Just make sure to have some kind of offensive Paradigm for after Neochu is dead. And also the link I gave above should somewhat detail it, but you probably won't be able to do anything on your Saboteur except for spam Death.

Yeah, I don't have anyone's 5th roll yet. I need to find a good place to grind.

I also can't find a way to get to Mission 20. I see it on the map, but there's no way to get there.

Well maybe it wasn't 20 (I thought for sure it was 20). It was in the caves. And it was a long way away from the main part of the map.

There's a prerequisite for the ones in the cave. There's 2 potential issues.

One is that you haven't "activated" the path to the optional section of the cave. You know the thing you rode on to reach the waterfall? From the waterfall end of the cave, you can ride it back and it'll make a path with its body so you can cross over to the other side of the cave. It's a pretty big optional area.

2. If you already can reach the optional part, there's some stuff you can't do in there like open the last chests, etc... until you have done another mission which requires you to kill a Mark in that optional area. You also have to kill a Juggernaut to activate one of the missions in there.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='leeloo1977']Has anyone confirmed that the NA version has unlockable wallpapers?[/QUOTE]

I was unlocking themes, yes. Never tried them out though.

I know I've at least unlocked one theme/wallpaper by completing the Loremaster trophy. Is a really bright white background with Sazh.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']There's 6 themes... they're all the same white/grey background and a character.[/QUOTE]

7 I thought? The 6 characters + Serah (Platinum Trophy).

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']There's a prerequisite for the ones in the cave. There's 2 potential issues.

One is that you haven't "activated" the path to the optional section of the cave. You know the thing you rode on to reach the waterfall? From the waterfall end of the cave, you can ride it back and it'll make a path with its body so you can cross over to the other side of the cave. It's a pretty big optional area.

2. If you already can reach the optional part, there's some stuff you can't do in there like open the last chests, etc... until you have done another mission which requires you to kill a Mark in that optional area. You also have to kill a Juggernaut to activate one of the missions in there.

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have done part 1. I have also killed the Juggernaut. I didn't do that Mission it was guarding, though because I went in there looking for that specific Mission. Go figure.

EDIT: Stupid me. The Mission I was actually referring to was 30, not 20. But I think we're talking about the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']Well, I have done part 1. I have also killed the Juggernaut. I didn't do that Mission it was guarding, though because I went in there looking for that specific Mission. Go figure.

EDIT: Stupid me. The Mission I was actually referring to was 30, not 20. But I think we're talking about the same thing.[/QUOTE]

If you do/are on Mission 30 you'll unlock the last area of the cave. After you kill the Mark you can get the chests in there. You're saying you still can't reach the mark?

[quote name='Fatesealer']Chapter 11 - thanks for everything, but I quit... I'm giving the game up in the morning and trading it in...[/QUOTE]

It's too difficult or you became uninterested when the game opened up?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So, farming turtles for 10 hours got me one trap. I'm.... super happy this this gonna take another 40 hours to platinum. fuckING TURTLES![/QUOTE]

I got two traps out of the four turtles I farmed in less than an hour. :p

Two traps was enough for me. One for Omega Weapon and the other to dismantle later.

[quote name='zewone']I got two traps out of the four turtles I farmed in less than an hour. :p

Two traps was enough for me. One for Omega Weapon and the other to dismantle later.[/QUOTE]

Pssh. I'm lucky if I get two Platinum Ingots out of four turtles, let alone a Trapezohedron.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']If you do/are on Mission 30 you'll unlock the last area of the cave. After you kill the Mark you can get the chests in there. You're saying you still can't reach the mark?[/QUOTE]

I did what you said and I got the Mission done (5 stars, too). I got Commando for Lightning and Synergist for Sazh up to 5. I really want/need that Growth Egg, but Mission 55 is a pain in the ass.

Has anyone tried using the theme? I am wondering if the wallpaper cycles/changes on it's own. I have a fan made FFXIII theme that I downloaded/installed and it has self changing backgrounds. I like the crispness of the ones you can unlock better but I do like the backgrounds constantly changing.

[quote name='KingBroly']I did what you said and I got the Mission done (5 stars, too). I got Commando for Lightning and Synergist for Sazh up to 5. I really want/need that Growth Egg, but Mission 55 is a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

You should easily be able to do it now. Just spam death with a Malboro wand and you'll eventually get it. There's no point in grinding far enough to get it without using it because by then, it's not really useful.

[quote name='panzerfaust']It's too difficult or you became uninterested when the game opened up?[/QUOTE]

I think it's a combination of both. Moreso the uninterested. I just dislike the lack of a true EXP points/Gil drops when defeating enemies. Grinding is a pain in the ass when the CP costs get to the 3000/4000 point per add-on range.

Question for Chapter 11

Do you ever have a chance to go back to the big gran pulse plains level to complete all the missions or do I need to do them all before I go into Mah'habara?

Character progression is relatively linear in this game until you start to max out the 3 secondary classes. Each node costs more CP, but the benefit from each node is way higher. This is why your HP jumps from like 10k to 20k+ in the last 2 chapters. There is absolutely no "grinding" in the main storyline if you don't want to. You can beat the game by fighting everything in your path once.

Everything else is optional... use some strategy, you aren't going to die even if you're underleveled -.-

For Neochu, just debuff it with everything you got (SAB/SAB/SEN or SABx3), make sure Vigilance is on Vanille, and spam Death while you SEN/MED tank damage. Even with my party maxing their 3 primary classes I just spammed death. Zerging it is too risky especially when the little ones all get Brave and crap on them.

@bigl525, you go back in C13 or postgame.

Ha, I took down a Long Gui for the achievement and I got another trap!

3/5 now on the turtles!

I've never got a platinum ingot. :(

I just beat Mr.
Cid Raines. I know I was going to fight him eventually, but I really hate when they make him a villain. Can't he just give us an airship and then chill for the rest of the game? I really have to kill him?
Anyways, with that came level 8 Crystalium and now I realize the need for CP grinding in this game. 8K per orb? I can't imagine what the sub-roles will cost at that level.

[quote name='Indignate']I just beat Mr.
Cid Raines. I know I was going to fight him eventually, but I really hate when they make him a villain. Can't he just give us an airship and then chill for the rest of the game? I really have to kill him?
Anyways, with that came level 8 Crystalium and now I realize the need for CP grinding in this game. 8K per orb? I can't imagine what the sub-roles will cost at that level.[/QUOTE]

You're in for a rude awakening if you think 8000 is a lot. :lol:

If I just mess with and try to figure out the weapons upgrade system on my own, will that screw up my chances to get the Ultimate weapons later on? Or should I use an upgrade guide?

[quote name='leeloo1977']If I just mess with and try to figure out the weapons upgrade system on my own, will that screw up my chances to get the Ultimate weapons later on? Or should I use an upgrade guide?[/QUOTE]

No, but you might be in for more of a grind.

[quote name='Draekon']You should easily be able to do it now. Just spam death with a Malboro wand and you'll eventually get it. There's no point in grinding far enough to get it without using it because by then, it's not really useful.[/QUOTE]

Why is Vigilance so important? Right now, my characters are hovering around 10-11k in HP each. I try it, and I can get about 6-10 Deaths off before I fail the fight at the moment.

[quote name='KingBroly']Why is Vigilance so important? Right now, my characters are hovering around 10-11k in HP each. I try it, and I can get about 6-10 Deaths off before I fail the fight at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Vigilance makes it so that your casts aren't as likely to be canceled.

I feel that XIII holds your hand for far too long, and the game doesn't really open up until Chapter 10-11. That would be my biggest fault with the game. I've enjoyed the game so far but it seems fundamentally flawed by the many restrictions that are placed on your characters, your party, and just about everything else.

Finally made it to chapter 13 yesterday, and ran around for pulse a little bit. I was able to upgrade Lightning/Sazh/Vanille's weapons all up to the max of their tier 2 weapon, but I'm still afraid to tackle the turtles. At what point can you effectively begin taking on the turtles? Should I wait until after I beat the final boss?

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Finally made it to chapter 13 yesterday, and ran around for pulse a little bit. I was able to upgrade Lightning/Sazh/Vanille's weapons all up to the max of their tier 2 weapon, but I'm still afraid to tackle the turtles. At what point can you effectively begin taking on the turtles? Should I wait until after I beat the final boss?[/QUOTE]

I think all Adamancheild/Adamantortoise/Adamantoise can all be killed on your first visit to chapter 11. However the only way to kill the tortoise/toise will only be opening with a summon and spamming death in the hopes you manage to kill them before they stand back up and rape you. The Adamancheild can be killed normally before you leave the chapter, but they don't give anything special.

EDIT: I don't remember if Vanille gets Death in chapter 11 or not... if not, then it won't be a pretty sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait theres more than one kind of turtle? I assumed they were all exactly the same (big dudes walking on the plains).

Right now I'm maxed out for all 3 main roles for everyone (with 200k CP in the bank). I'm currently in Ch. 11, at
Taejins tower
...am I in a good position to deal with any upcoming bosses? I can't do much at this point to prepare other than upgrade some weapons.

If you're maxed out at any Chapter, you should be good to go.

I maxed out the 3 main roles for everyone last night. I'm having trouble beating a Adamantoise right now (meaning I die in about 2 minutes to these things). There's got to be a good strategy that won't take me 15 minutes to kill one of these things.

To check Missions quickly, press the Square button twice then Right on the D-pad.

Once you get your first Trap farming turtles is easy as hell. Just get Kain's Lance for Fang and you'll kill them in ~3 mins. Using -physical damage helps a lot, so use the Black/General's Belt.

At the end a battle with a turtle took with ~1min5secs with a summon, ~1min50secs without out. It's not too bad. Just got the platinum, so I'm gonna be done with it for a while. I'm tempted to get some FAQs on GameFAQs, but I kind of burned myself out.

Well, that's the trick then, isn't it? I mean, do I go after the legs or the head first?

As it stands now, if I don't heal right away, he basically kills me in 1-2 hits (depending on how he feels I guess). Maybe I should just go finish the remaining Missions before I try anything else.

Before post-game your only hope is to use a summon. Using one will disable the legs automatically, so you won't take any damage. You need to manually use Vanille and spam Death.

Start the fight with SAB/SAB/SAB or SAB/SAB/RAV depending on who you're using for the other characters. Throw up every single debuff you can, for a total of 5 then switch the other characters to RAV if possible.

You want auto-haste on obviously. If your Death doesn't land by the time he stands back up, pause menu -> retry. Even after you beat the game, you really do need to death spam until you get lucky with your first Trap drop.

For the post-game, do you have to have a pre-endboss save like previous games, or does it let you continue on playing after you beat the story?

Thanks for pointing out the mission thing too, maybe I should read the controls at the bottom of the screen a little more. ;)

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Before post-game your only hope is to use a summon. Using one will disable the legs automatically, so you won't take any damage. You need to manually use Vanille and spam Death.

Start the fight with SAB/SAB/SAB or SAB/SAB/RAV depending on who you're using for the other characters. Throw up every single debuff you can, for a total of 5 then switch the other characters to RAV if possible.

You want auto-haste on obviously. If your Death doesn't land by the time he stands back up, pause menu -> retry. Even after you beat the game, you really do need to death spam until you get lucky with your first Trap drop.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm definitely post game. So a single summon will allow to knockout a single leg? Why won't he be able to attack then?

[quote name='halfbent']For the post-game, do you have to have a pre-endboss save like previous games, or does it let you continue on playing after you beat the story?

Thanks for pointing out the mission thing too, maybe I should read the controls at the bottom of the screen a little more. ;)[/QUOTE]

After the credits, it asks if you want to save. When you load that save, you've now completely unlocked the entire Crystarium and are at the last save point in the game that lets you go back to access the portals to Chapter 11 & 12.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well I'm definitely post game. So a single summon will allow to knockout a single leg? Why won't he be able to attack then?[/QUOTE]

Knocks out both legs instantly when you summon.

bread's done
Back