Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Out Now on PS3 & PS4 - 4/11: PS3-to-PS4 Transfer Live!

I was able to snag a beta key for both, so I've tried it out on both PS3 and PC. The graphical difference has certainly not been overstated in the least, but that really shouldn't come as a surprise. My rig is 3 years old and it still easily outpaces the PS3 graphically. That said, I really didn't notice any major framerate issues in my time on the PS3. The game ran fine from what I saw, though I didn't put in nearly as much time as on the PC.

For those on the fence between the two versions, I think it's a no-brainer for the PC. You don't need a top-of-the-line setup in order to whollop the PS3 in the graphics department. If visuals aren't as important, I guess it would come down to interface preference.

I'll be very intrigued to start seeing footage of the game running on PS4.
How different is the PC interface? I really like what I have tried of the beta on PS3 yesterday and the interface for it works really well.

Also is the game better suited to Keyboard and mouse or is it like XI was and is better controlled woth a controller?

How different is the PC interface? I really like what I have tried of the beta on PS3 yesterday and the interface for it works really well.

Also is the game better suited to Keyboard and mouse or is it like XI was and is better controlled woth a controller?

final_fantasy_XIV_realm.jpg

They're very similar. I have found it a bit easier to use the map function on PC and some of the menus are easier to use. Other than that, I prefer using the controller. The issue I'm having right now with the PC version is that some of the buttons on the controller aren't the same as they are on PS3, so I'm trying to change that.

If you have a PS3 beta key, you should try downloading the PC client and logging in with your Square-Enix account. It should work (or at least it worked for me).

Ya the PC UI is quiet basic for an MMORPG. One thing I really like from the PC UI is the bottom right corner, it shows your  Bag slots and what slots are occupied and where and if you have new loot.... other than that its quiet generic.

The PS3...I actually like it, I can sometimes play/attack one handed if Im drinking something, have my Knee push in the triggers while I press the skill buttons =P also fully customizable so you can edit what each button does. very flexible and useful.

So far the only thing thats got me kind of really annoyed with the PS3 version is; NO VOIP/Party Voice Chat D=

Tried playing with a friend and we were stumped at the fact that this MMO does not have voice chat for the console version... We had to use Our Vita's Party to voip. which is real sad.

I would accept this IF IT WAS F2P!!! in this day and age, P2P should come with all the bells and whistles of F2P + A shit load more... =( this really blows for PS3 users... imagine stopping to type up Party commands or asking for help or telling members to cast this or that.... I just dont see why the PS3 version doesnt have Voice Chat.... PCs got their Vent/Skype sure... but the PS3 cant use Voice Chat while in-game... it just doesnt have the right kind of RAM for that. Sure it might add a bit to your Ping, but still.. P 2 P!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got in on the PS3.  Ive been taking the time of tyring to get used to using the game pad.  So far so good.  I wish they would let us know if you have to re buy it on the PS4.  If you do Ill just wait.   Im on the Goblin server.

Regarding PS3:

Anyone try using the keyboard for skills and such? I used to use it for combat it FFXI with macro commands. Just wondering if the game swaps the UI out.

Also, I really dislike the giant lettered "Quest Started" across my tv. Kind of annoying. Also, I got my hands on a ps3 beta key and also on Cactuar. Stryder Omega is my character name. (Original, no?)

Looks like it was already answered, but yeah, they're not that different.

I certainly think it's somewhat better with a keyboard and mouse, but the gulf isn't as wide as you'd expect from an MMO. They've done a very good job with the PS3 controls.

Regarding PS3:

Anyone try using the keyboard for skills and such? I used to use it for combat it FFXI with macro commands. Just wondering if the game swaps the UI out.

Also, I really dislike the giant lettered "Quest Started" across my tv. Kind of annoying. Also, I got my hands on a ps3 beta key and also on Cactuar. Stryder Omega is my character name. (Original, no?)
It probably does. I was eventually able to switch the UI on PC to the PS3 UI, but I have no idea how I actually did it.

I didn't play during this last most recent phase of the beta but I will play during phase 4 a lot.  Feel free to add me on PSN.

When we have to start over I'll probably start on one of your servers.  Same first name Greenden, probably a different sirname

Thanks to Stryder plan to download tonight and maybe make my character. Is everyone on Cactaur server? have some friends on that one.

I either think there wont be one (which isnt smart, OBT is like playing the demo version of any full game)

Or

It may only last one weekend before release or a whole week.
There will be one, it's confirmed. They've said it will last one week, and characters from Open Beta will carry over to launch.

It will be much earlier in August, since it has to come before Early Access, which is the week before launch.

Lol, I tend to get severely side tracked in my questing. I do the main missions and wind up forgetting about this level 5 lancer quest from forever ago.

I really like all the touches they threw into this game. Done with Beta now, because I don't want to feel discouraged when my character gets wiped. Made it almost to level 14.

I really like all the touches they threw into this game. Done with Beta now, because I don't want to feel discouraged when my character gets wiped. Made it almost to level 14.
I've gotten all the way to 31. I'm not too worried about the wipe, I won't mind repeating all this content since I skipped pretty much all the dialogue/cutscenes for the beta.

The dungeons in this game are excellent, very good variety.

yea think I will quit mine as well  had a blast last 2 nights with it will probably be a cat-guy lancer/dragoon for my final build

Well, I've done pretty much all the beta has to offer.  Made it to level 32, ran all the dungeons, had plenty of fun.  This is my first real MMO experience, and I've had a blast.  Can't wait for the start of open beta and then launch so I can roll my real character.  I've grown somewhat attached to my beta THM, but I won't have any issue with repeating all this content again.

Final look of my beta character for anyone interested:

TAEQPta.jpg

I am seriously stoked for open beta -> head start -> Launch. I have really enjoyed my time with this game! I only have one gripe and I hope it was just because it was Beta. Why do you have to unlock the dungeons in order? By the time I got around to wanting to do a dungeon (Tam-Tara Deepcroft) I couldn't figure out how to unlock it. Read online I have to do a quest for another dungeon (in another city) before I get the quest for Tam-Tara.

By the time I would have done all that, I would have out leveled the Dungeon! (Not really, but I would have been ~19.)

I am seriously stoked for open beta -> head start -> Launch. I have really enjoyed my time with this game! I only have one gripe and I hope it was just because it was Beta. Why do you have to unlock the dungeons in order? By the time I got around to wanting to do a dungeon (Tam-Tara Deepcroft) I couldn't figure out how to unlock it. Read online I have to do a quest for another dungeon (in another city) before I get the quest for Tam-Tara.

By the time I would have done all that, I would have out leveled the Dungeon! (Not really, but I would have been ~19.)
The first three dungeons are unlocked as part of the main story quest, so that's why they need to be done in order. The subsequent beta dungeons were unlocked on their own, all you had to do is reach the sufficient level and then go to the dungeon. I'm not sure whether that will be the case at launch or if they'll also be tied to quests.

They do have level sync in place for the dungeons, so even if you've outleveled the content you can still run it and have fun. Obviously the gear you're getting won't be up to your current level, but as long as you're only 2 or 3 levels above it will probably still be usable.

So with release now about a month away (and open beta/early access sooner) is anyone interested in discussing a choice for a semi-official CAG server?

I'm planning to roll on Cactuar, with several other CAGs, but it's certainly not set in stone.  Would love to play on a server with plenty of other CAGs and maybe set up a CAG linkshell for grouping.

I'm still debating on if I am going to play at launch but I will more then likely be since it looks like this game is relatively solo friendly.  Also, if we get an active group it shouldn't be hard to group up to do stuff.  But I will be playing on Cactaur as well.

I was wondering this as well, I had no preference to which server but I would like to be on one with fellow CAGs.

Just a side note, I did get an email in one of the various accounts I have about acceptance to Open Beta(lol) and so it seems that it should be starting up relatively soon.

bread's done
Back