Food/Snacks you miss...

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Why, WHY don't they sell Jell-O Pudding Pops anymore? Who couldn't love them? They were delicious! Frozen pudding on a stick. Frozen pudding! They melted in your mouth. I've been craving some for years. :([/QUOTE]

THIS MAN IS A PROPHET!

Seriously, I spent two pages scouring posts for some mention of these things. Chocolate, Vanilla, the fucking *swirls,* and most of all, Bill Cosby (the spokesperson, not the flavor)!

And my single favorite pudding pop flavor of all fucking time: Banana!

I mentioned banana pudding pops to my wife on Sunday morning when we were taking a walk to the bookstore, and she slugged me in the arm. "The fuck was that for?" I asked.

"For reminding me!" she said. Indeed, pudding pops are a distant memory, one that cannot be replaced by any store-brand generic pudding pop wannabe knockoff. Alas...

My favorites were Crunch Tators (BBQ potatoe chips that when I would eat them I couldn't hear anything going on around me) and Keebler Magic Middles (dome shaped shortbread cookies with a gooey chocolate middle.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Fruit Stripe gum w/ the zebra mascot.[/QUOTE]

They've stopped selling Fruit Stripe gum? Wasn't that the gum that had a great fruit taste that lasted all of 20 seconds worth of chewing?

[quote name='TimPV3']Dunkaroos - The little Kangaroo cookies that came with frosting for dipping/making mini sandwiches. Awesome

Some sort of Koala cookie things, really tiny cookie type snacks shaped like Koalas, there was strawberry, peanut butter, and I think a smore flavored pack but I'm not sure. Also awesome

If drinks are included, I liked Pepsi Blue...[/QUOTE]

I believe Dunkaroos are still available in the Northeast/East Coast

Potato Skin chips, I think Keebler used to make them. They were so damn good! I think TGI Fridays makes a knock off of them, but they are too expensive and not as good as the original.

[quote name='mcgavin27']peanut butter twix[/QUOTE]

still readily available

And fruit stripe gum IS still being made

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']
By the way, I could've swore that I've seen Dunkaroos sold at Costco.[/quote]
Yup, they are still being sold!
The old jingle: "Dunkaroos, dunkaroos! You don't just eat, you Dunk-a-Roo!"
:oops:

well just to name a few I would say,

JOSTA COLA, ahhhh sweet Gaurana.

GIGGLES COOKIES, they didn't taste any different from from most basic creme center cookies but the had smiley faces on them.

OREO BIG STUFF, oreos.....but bigger.

CRISPY CRITTERS CEREAL, cha cha cha

MARIO BROS./LINK CEREAL two bags of different cereal in the same box, mind, boggling.

Too many memories.....

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
Surge

Cherry 7'up
[/QUOTE]

For surge, try the new one called Vault. It's pretty close if my memory serves me well.

Cherry 7up is also still made. I just finished off a 12 pack of it the other day.

Pudding pops definately still exist as I have 2 boxes in my freezer. I thought they were gone for a long time too, until I found that appearently the Kroger nearby doesn't carry them, but the Meijer does. That holds true for a lot of things I think are discontinued altogether, actually.

Dunkaroos are also still available as I get them at Kroger all the time.

I saw the potato skins chips about a year ago at Meijer (again, never at Kroger), but I can't be sure they're still there.

I miss Prego's Parmesean-something (Can't remember the exact name, it's not three cheese) sauce. It was the best-- A very plain, smooth sauce. No chunks of tomato, no pieces of onion, just thin tasty sauce.

I miss pepsi blue and crystal pepsi. And PB Crisps (I was just talking about those with my mom the other day trying to remember what they were called.).

I also really miss Mcdonalds Pizza. God that was amazing.

[quote name='moiety']
I miss Archway Anise Cookies. They appeared on the shelves during the holidays, as the cookies were shaped like Christmas trees, round ornaments, and wreaths, sprinkled with red or green colored sugar. My mom would buy them every year, and then they were just gone. Can't find them anywhere, not even on their website. Haven't had them since the early 90's I would say. Sad times.[/QUOTE]

They were at my Dominicks in Orland Park, IL last Christmas. I know because I bought them for my kids' daycare teachers and my husband ate the WHOLE package.

[quote name='Spiritseed']well just to name a few I would say,

JOSTA COLA, ahhhh sweet Gaurana.

GIGGLES COOKIES, they didn't taste any different from from most basic creme center cookies but the had smiley faces on them.

OREO BIG STUFF, oreos.....but bigger.

CRISPY CRITTERS CEREAL, cha cha cha

MARIO BROS./LINK CEREAL two bags of different cereal in the same box, mind, boggling.

Too many memories.....[/QUOTE]

God, I HATED Crispy Critters Cereal. My younger brother saw the commercial just had to have it. I still kind of remember the jingle:
Crispy Critters...A good wholesome bunch!
We hated it and that damn box of cereal sat in our cupboard for a couple of years.

[quote name='freestyledust77']Cherry 7up is still out there, and chicken littles were the shit, I still remeber the song from the commercial, do you?[/QUOTE]

Chicken Littles from KFC? The ones that were like 39 cents or something and getting sackfuls were something my grandfather used to do all the time when he took us with him in his work van? God, the memories... thos were the ebst times: the sandwiches AND my grandfather spending time with us. He still is one of the coolest people I know.

I'll go with Shark Bites, Fruit Stripe gum & Slice (orange soda). Not sure if they are still made, but I haven't seen any of them in years.

Also, this thread just reminded me about my favorite childhood drink: Milk & Strawberry Quik. I wonder if I can still find the latter.

[quote name='bobo2k4']I miss those cupcake things were the bear already took a bite of it.[/quote]

OMFG. I used to eat those allllll the time back in the day, and not remembering the name is frustrating me to no end. In fact, I just asked my mom and sister about them, and they insisted that I was making them up.

"Are you sure you're not thinking of Hostess? Little Debbie's?"
"NO, GOD DAMN IT. THERE WAS A BEAR ON THE PACKAGE WHO WORE SUNGLASSES AND, hence, WAS THE COOLEST!"

Ah, and speaking of pops.. I miss the Flintstones and Nerds push-ups dearly. :[

[quote name='sevdustflyer']Starburst licorice was so damn good.[/quote]
Of all the things listed in this thread, I miss that the most.

[quote name='eat_slag']OMFG. I used to eat those allllll the time back in the day, and not remembering the name is frustrating me to no end. In fact, I just asked my mom and sister about them, and they insisted that I was making them up.

"Are you sure you're not thinking of Hostess? Little Debbie's?"
"NO, GOD DAMN IT. THERE WAS A BEAR ON THE PACKAGE WHO WORE SUNGLASSES AND, hence, WAS THE COOLEST!"[/QUOTE]

Those were the greatest werent they? I still remember the commercial with the bear biting into them. I think it was a polar bear....maybe it was called polar something or something...:drool:

[quote name='bobo2k4']Those were the greatest werent they? I still remember the commercial with the bear biting into them. I think it was a polar bear....maybe it was called polar something or something...:drool:[/quote]
Man, that sounds so familiar. I have no idea what they are.

I remember drinking Squeezits at lunch everyday, despite the fact that I thought they tasted horrible.. but, see, they had FACES (mostly ugly ones) on the translucent plastic bottles, which made them novel.

Oh, I also ate many, many String Things. They were shiney orange and teal strings of fruit snack in various designs on pieces of card board that you pulled off.. which was really more enjoyable than eating them, really.

[quote name='eat_slag']I remember drinking Squeezits at lunch everyday, despite the fact that I thought they tasted horrible.. but, see, they had FACES (mostly ugly ones) on the translucent plastic bottles, which made them novel.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, I loved those things.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Chocodiles - Chocolate covered twinkies.

Cherry 7'up
[/quote]

These two are still available, and Cherry 7Up comes in both regular and Plus versions (Splenda instead of sugar and contains actual fruit juice). I'm fond of the Plus kind -- sugary sodas make me thirsty, so I don't drink them.

The thing I miss was a snack food -- it looked like a stick of beef jerky, but was chewy and sweet. They had pictures of astronauts on the box, but I forget what the name was (we're talking late 1970s here).

[Googles, comes back]

Pillsbury Space Food Sticks. God, that sounds gross. Probably good they're gone -- I might think it's inedible now. I mean, I don't know how my kid eats Gogurt. Blech.

[quote name='Stuka']I'll go with Shark Bites, Fruit Stripe gum & Slice (orange soda). Not sure if they are still made, but I haven't seen any of them in years.

Also, this thread just reminded me about my favorite childhood drink: Milk & Strawberry Quik. I wonder if I can still find the latter.[/QUOTE]

They still have fruit strip gum at Toys R Us. Also what's Milk and Strawberry Quik? I know the Strawberry but Milk Quik? :)

Just got this email back from the people who used to make Pizzarias.
[quote name='Poore Brothers']Pizzarias were discontinued several years ago due to the lack of sales. Poore Brothers is contemplating on bringing them back to see if there is a demand for them. We did use some of our left over packaging and put in the Dollar Tree Stores. If this run of the Pizzarias goes well you should be able to find them on regular basis early fall. Thank you for your interest in The Inventure Group, Inc. formerly Poore Brothers Products.[/quote]
That's good news, I hope they bring them back.

Cereals in particular seem to have more-limited runs. I miss the old version of French Toast Crunch, the kind that looked like little pieces of bread (I think they brought it back and changed it). Also, there were these two corn-puff cerials that looked like little baseballs and basketballs. I think they both came out at around the same time that the baseball players went on strike.

Grape flavored Big League Chew. Can never find that stuff. Every once in awhile ill find some, and then proceed to kill my jaw chewing the whole thing.

do any of you guys remember the soda pop that had little pieces of geliten in it man those were good the only place i could get em was at a arcade called mountasia.

[quote name='solid snake']do any of you guys remember the soda pop that had little pieces of geliten in it man those were good the only place i could get em was at a arcade called mountasia.[/QUOTE]The only thing that I can think of that sounds close is bubble tea.

[quote name='jmcc']The only thing that I can think of that sounds close is bubble tea.[/quote]
i think it had a picture of an atom on the bottle and i allso remember the things that looked like the bottled koolaid but it was gel.

[quote name='solid snake']i think it had a picture of an atom on the bottle and i allso remember the things that looked like the bottled koolaid but it was gel.[/QUOTE]It's the link in the post right above, then.

I too have a couple of unopened bottles of Orbitz.. I tired it once and did not care for the taste.. nor the feeling of gel pebbles going down my throat. And yes, I would also kill for some grape Big League Chew!!!

They probably still make these, but I haven't had them in ages. Push pop ice cream, or Rockets I think they were called sometimes. Vanilla ice cream with a column of fudge in a tube that you pushed up with a clear plastic stick. Then at the end was a pool of fudge. Mmmm.

I think they made these in fruit flavors with the Flinstones on the box and the tubes. Yeah, those were good too.

I loved those candies that were shaped like UFO's and had lil' bits inside them. They were actually kind of bland, but I couldn't get enough of them.

Sara Lee banana cake - absolute heaven, can't find it anymore

Orbitz was mentioned above - that stuff was weird. I hated the feeling of drinking the little gelatinous orbs, but to this day I'm perplexed by the fact that they were distributed evenly from top to bottom instead of sinking or floating. We even cut one in open on a saucer to get a closer look - just more gelstuff inside.

Also, there was this stuff called Hansen's in the early 90's that was clear in clear bottles (like Clearly Canadian) and it was fruit flavors like raspberry. It was like drinking candy, it was amazing.

[quote name='megashock5']Sara Lee banana cake - absolute heaven, can't find it anymore

Orbitz was mentioned above - that stuff was weird. I hated the feeling of drinking the little gelatinous orbs, but to this day I'm perplexed by the fact that they were distributed evenly from top to bottom instead of sinking or floating. We even cut one in open on a saucer to get a closer look - just more gelstuff inside.

Also, there was this stuff called Hansen's in the early 90's that was clear in clear bottles (like Clearly Canadian) and it was fruit flavors like raspberry. It was like drinking candy, it was amazing.[/quote]

i remember that stuff that was my fave drink they had rasberry, blue berry,grape,and i think orange.

The McRib. :D
I've always hated Spaghetti-O's, but, I used to ALWAYS make my mom buy me them because they had Sonic on the can. Would never eat them.. They probably still make the same label, not sure..

[quote name='thespillcanvas']The McRib. :D
I've always hated Spaghetti-O's, but, I used to ALWAYS make my mom buy me them because they had Sonic on the can. Would never eat them.. They probably still make the same label, not sure..[/QUOTE]

Atleast in the midwest, the McRib Jr (just a small version) is on the dollar menu at McDonalds

I emailed the company that used to make Orbits and got a response. Sounds like it might come back some day!

[quote name='Clearly Canadian']Thank you for your inquiry regarding Orbitz and for taking the time to contact us. While we no longer manufacture or sell Orbitz, there may be some remaining product on store shelves in certain areas of North America. Unfortunately, we do not have any information on where to obtain our discontinued beverages.

Orbitz was a very innovative and fun beverage for our consumers, however, we made the decision to discontinue the beverage a couple of years ago to focus our attention on creating more new beverages for our consumers to enjoy.

There has been some preliminary discussion on bringing Orbitz back in 2007 or 2008, but at this time we have no definite plans.

We would like to keep your email on file to contact you in the event that we do re-launch Orbitz.

If there is anything else we can provide to you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Consumer Relations
Clearly Canadian Beverage Corporation[/quote]

[quote name='evilmax17']I emailed the company that used to make Orbits and got a response. Sounds like it might come back some day![/quote]

cool cant wait!

bread's done
Back