For anyone that has some issue on CAG or has a problem with how it is conducted,

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Once we erase post counts, then what, what will make you guys happy then?[/quote]

Naked girls having sex with me and each other ... without that I think this place sucks. Burn in hell!!! :twisted:

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']For anyone that has some issue on CAG or has a problem with how it is conducted, POST HERE.[/quote]

The owner is a dick.[/quote]

Best. Post. Ever.

So cheapy, can we keep the OTT's in existence, but lose the post count?[/quote]

But then what will they have against us?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']For anyone that has some issue on CAG or has a problem with how it is conducted, POST HERE.[/quote]

Best. Post. Ever.

So cheapy, can we keep the OTT's in existence, but lose the post count?[/quote]

If we do that then I won't know how many low-quality, useless, and/or obscene posts I have made! :cry:

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']For anyone that has some issue on CAG or has a problem with how it is conducted, POST HERE.[/quote]

:applause:

Just to throw in my buck-o-five, I post in the OTTs so that i dont have to start some random thread that only 2 people will care about. I make sure at least 10 will be interested. I dunno...i like using this site to chat about games, deals, and stuff. It keeps me here and away from places like VGdeals.

[quote name='CheapyD'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']For anyone that has some issue on CAG or has a problem with how it is conducted, POST HERE.[/quote]

:rofl: Nice post.

[quote name='javeryh']Math is overrated. What has it ever done for us?[/quote]

As I continue on toward my eventual college graduation... I realize that math has done something for us all. Completely and untterly bored us.

:shock:

Agreed. :) (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. . .)

You know when I made my celebration thread I think I opened Pandora's Box. It gave all those people against OTTs and the OT just one more thing that just pushed them over the edge.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hey now, i'm not saying erase them, there's some comedic gold there, at least archive them. But we should say bye bye to post counts.[/quote]

NO I'm saying totally erase them. That way it will appease some of these people. IF they want them gone they can have them gone. All the OTT, the versus forum, the console forums, should all go. They have nothing to do with the site and its namessake. This is for deals on games and only that so we'll only have those forums and the CAG news and feedback forum and that's it.[/quote]

Awww come on, no one said to erase OTT's you little puss.

People just want there to be some order...There's 3 OTTs on the front page at any given time.... Lets get back to what matters and leave the suicide hotline in a seperate thread.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Once we erase post counts, then what, what will make you guys happy then?[/quote]

Here's what would make me screaming happy.

1) Get rid of post count
2) Keep OT posts off the front page (like the vs. forum. When i want politics, I go there, and I don't have to see them when I just want game related stuff).
3) Even though I don't trade, I think it's important to cover the CAGs who do. Implement a good "reliability" system.

If we got all 3, I would be extatic. You can have yout OTTs, I just don't want to see them (and their 8 variations at the same time) on the front page. I think that's a very fair request.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']
The actual benefit of post counts is to show how many times you have posted. Duh.[/quote]

Exactly. I like post counts, and I would prefer them to not be removed. If people are going to obsess over them and make entire threads discussing them, well, that's kind of dumb, but oh well. It would suck to get rid of a decent feature because of other people's suckiness. I also don't think getting rid of post counts will make people any less annoying.

[quote name='moiety'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']

While 900 posts aren't astronomical, how'd you get that many man? That sure is a lot more than some peoples :roll:[/quote]

That's funny. I've been here for a lot longer than you have. There are times where I go a few weeks without posting if nothing is going on on the site. If discussions are going on, I post. So nice try trying to put me on the "same level" as you.[/quote]

Quality, not quantity, right? :)

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hey now, i'm not saying erase them, there's some comedic gold there, at least archive them. But we should say bye bye to post counts.[/quote]

NO I'm saying totally erase them. That way it will appease some of these people. IF they want them gone they can have them gone. All the OTT, the versus forum, the console forums, should all go. They have nothing to do with the site and its namessake. This is for deals on games and only that so we'll only have those forums and the CAG news and feedback forum and that's it.[/quote]

People just want there to be some order...There's 3 OTTs on the front page at any given time.... Lets get back to what matters and leave the suicide hotline in a seperate thread.[/quote]

If there truly is a worthwile deal you go to the deals section. If it is even more important it will stay on the front page, look at the recent KBtoys dela on MGS3.

Jesus......

Jesus will fill your loins with the light of the believers!

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']Once we erase post counts, then what, what will make you guys happy then?[/quote]

Here's what would make me screaming happy.

1) Get rid of post count
2) Keep OT posts off the front page (like the vs. forum. When i want politics, I go there, and I don't have to see them when I just want game related stuff).
3) Even though I don't trade, I think it's important to cover the CAGs who do. Implement a good "reliability" system.

If we got all 3, I would be extatic. You can have yout OTTs, I just don't want to see them (and their 8 variations at the same time) on the front page. I think that's a very fair request.[/quote]

There are only one OTT on front page at one time. The other OT stuff is not only made by OTTers but others as well.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Quality, not quantity, right? :)[/quote]

Only N64 and GCN fanboys say this because their systems had limited third party support. The PSone and PS2 fanboys say "it's all about the games" because all the third parties flocked to their systems for the larger consumer base. You can argue about which was better overall, but most consumers have historically chosen quantity (PSone/PS2) over quality (N64/GCN).

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hey now, i'm not saying erase them, there's some comedic gold there, at least archive them. But we should say bye bye to post counts.[/quote]

People just want there to be some order...There's 3 OTTs on the front page at any given time.... Lets get back to what matters and leave the suicide hotline in a seperate thread.[/quote]

There are never more than 2 OTT's on the front page. I put an end to the post whore topics. The only time there is more than one OTT is the trasition period.

Wow, interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Sneaky, you're not alone. I too remember when the OTT didn't read like an AIM chat log, and actual (funny and interesting) conversations occurred. Forum culture inevitably includes people who just like to chat, and the OTTs are their outlet. They exist for a reason, but that's not to say that they shouldn't be controlled to a point.

I agree with everyone who has said that it shouldn't appear on the front page. I doubt there is a way to target just the OTTs though, and it would probably come to taking ALL the Off-Topic threads off the front page.

I still think it should happen though. The VS threads aren't on the front page for a reason, and I think that reason is just as applicable to the OT board.

/2 cents

Alright, I'm just getting silly....I'm done with this topic....

If you have a problem with me......

PM me, I'll meet you anywhere for a bare-knuckle fist fight anytime you like. ;-) JK

You know what, when I think about it I wouldn't mind not seeing so many trade topics on the frontpage. I mean all they do is push out the REAL deals out anyway. Plus what about those that can't trade, what good do they do for them?

Don't get rid of post counts! They are vital to my happiness as a gamer!!!

There's really only one point - and it's an important one to me and a lot of others who use this site.... I'd rather trade with someone with a high post count. I know you can artificially inflate your post count with meaningless crap posts but I'd find it hard to believe that someone would get up over 1000 posts over a period of 6 months to rip someone off in a $20 trade. If that's what happens then so be it I guess but I feel a lot safer trading with someone like that than with a total noob. IMO, the higher the post count the more likely that you are not going to get ripped off by that person.

Listen hiccup.

On any given day, 5 out of the 10 on the threads will be threads like:

The OTT
The Chronicles of Mr. Anderson's love life
I got 4000 posts!
I got 5000 posts!
I have a .67 GPA!

These are all multi-hundred post topics that eventually devolve into an OTT, with all of the same people posting in it. I'm not saying take the OTTs away, I'm just saying to keep them where they belong, and off of the front page. Yet, when I suggest this, you become outraged! Why is that? Because you crave attention, and unless you can have your stuff out in the open where everybody can see it, you don't want it at all.

Why can't you just keep OT topics (OTT or not) off of the front page? (I also wouldn't mind the trades off of the front page, but I realize that a great number of people find them to be very important, so it doesn't bother me as much. Plus, none of the trade threads get more than 100 posts, and they don't hover on the front page.)

*And I don't hate all OTTers. Alot of them (like Led, Casey, Punq, and WShake) aren't obnoxious, and actually contribute to the game aspects of this site.

[quote name='Ledhed']Wow, interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Sneaky, you're not alone. I too remember when the OTT didn't read like an AIM chat log, and actual (funny and interesting) conversations occurred. Forum culture inevitably includes people who just like to chat, and the OTTs are their outlet. They exist for a reason, but that's not to say that they shouldn't be controlled to a point.

I agree with everyone who has said that it shouldn't appear on the front page. I doubt there is a way to target just the OTTs though, and it would probably come to taking ALL the Off-Topic threads off the front page.

I still think it should happen though. The VS threads aren't on the front page for a reason, and I think that reason is just as applicable to the OT board.

/2 cents[/quote]

Word. This is entirely reasonable and it makes sense. I think the Mods should come together and collectively appeal to Cheapy to institute this change.

PWNT.

:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

You are the man Cheapy.

[quote name='evilmax17']Listen hiccup.

On any given day, 5 out of the 10 on the threads will be threads like:

The OTT
The Chronicles of Mr. Anderson's love life
I got 4000 posts!
I got 5000 posts!
I have a .67 GPA!

These are all multi-hundred post topics that eventually devolve into an OTT, with all of the same people posting in it. I'm not saying take the OTTs away, I'm just saying to keep them where they belong, and off of the front page. Yet, when I suggest this, you become outraged! Why is that? Because you crave attention, and unless you can have your stuff out in the open where everybody can see it, you don't want it at all.

Why can't you just keep OT topics (OTT or not) off of the front page? (I also wouldn't mind the trades off of the front page, but I realize that a great number of people find them to be very important, so it doesn't bother me as much. Plus, none of the trade threads get more than 100 posts, and they don't hover on the front page.)

*And I don't hate all OTTers. Alot of them (like Led, Casey, Punq, and WShake) aren't obnoxious, and actually contribute to the game aspects of this site.[/quote]

A. I don't crave attention
B. Fine compramise, take them off the front page but stop saying that The Chronicles of Mr. Anderson's love life
I got 4000 posts!
I got 5000 posts!
I have a .67 GPA! are OTT thread and singling out the OTT.
C. There are plenty of other OT threads in that forum what about them.
D. I agree with taking the trading thread off the front page because inestead of one or two threads that go up to 500 you have five thousand little ones that take up that much space.

Other wise I more than agree with you. punq, Rybakc, Ledhed, Trakan they are all great people. I just feel that there is almost a witch hunt here. There's a lynch mob just for the OTs and that is not fair.

[quote name='evilmax17'] Yet, when I suggest this, you become outraged! Why is that? Because you crave attention, and unless you can have your stuff out in the open where everybody can see it, you don't want it at all.

[/quote]

I need it out in the open because this is a problem that needs to be addressed. not always shuffled under the carpet for another time. If there is a problem find the solution and fix it.

Goddamn all of this fucking drama. You know what bothers me more than "I have "X" amount of posts" threads? People who feel the need to bitch in every single one of them. evilmax17, I see you make it a point to bitch and moan in every one of those threads. Not only are you posting in an OT topic, but you're keeping it on the main page. The post whore topics have been put to an end, and there will now be one OTT on the main page at the most. You don't need to rely on the main page all the time. There are multiple way to find which deals are hot. Try clicking "View posts since last visit." Either way, if a deal is hot enough, case in point the MGS3 $20 thread, it'll stay there. 1 out of the 10 most recent posts is an OTT thread? Who the hell cares?

I don't care about my post count or whether or not the OT topics stay off the main page. You need to lighten the fuck up.

[quote name='evilmax17']These are all multi-hundred post topics that eventually devolve into an OTT, with all of the same people posting in it.[/quote]

That right there is why there is a valid complaint. A while back, the OTTs were suspended. What then happened was that the same group of people would float from thread to thread, chatting. If one person posted in it, they ALL would post in it. And before long, the thread was hijacked and inadvertently transformed into an OTT.

Now, the OTTs are back. They move at an incomprehensible rate, often exceeding the 500-post limit in under a week. And, yet still, hijacking occurs in on-topic threads.

If the OTT regulars can restrain themselves to ONE thread, and if the OT topics can be taken off the front page, I think it would help to quell alot of the complaints.

[quote name='Trakan']Goddamn all of this shaq-fuing drama. You know what bothers me more than "I have "X" amount of posts" threads? People who feel the need to bitch in every single one of them. evilmax17, I see you make it a point to bitch and moan in every one of those threads. Not only are you posting in an OT topic, but you're keeping it on the main page. The post whore topics have been put to an end, and there will now be one OTT on the main page at the most. You don't need to rely on the main page all the time. There are multiple way to find which deals are hot. Try clicking "View posts since last visit." Either way, if a deal is hot enough, case in point the MGS3 $20 thread, it'll stay there. 1 out of the 10 most recent posts is an OTT thread? Who the hell cares?

I don't care about my post count or whether or not the OT topics stay off the main page. You need to lighten the shaq-fu up.[/quote]

Bravo.:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :notworth: :notworth: Thank You.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] A. I don't crave attention
B. Fine compramise, take them off the front page but stop saying that The Chronicles of Mr. Anderson's love life
I got 4000 posts!
I got 5000 posts!
D. I agree with taking the trading thread off the front page because inestead of one or two threads that go up to 500 you have five thousand little ones that take up that much space.

Other wise I more than agree with you. punq, Rybakc, Ledhed, Trakan they are all great people. I just feel that there is almost a witch hunt here. There's a lynch mob just for the OTs and that is not fair.[/quote]

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Breathe in, breathe out…

Now repeat after me, “it’s only a message board…”
I don’t think anyone is mob lynching you here. O:)

Your collective concerns about making this board better are indeed much appreciated.

Look, all the posts were not for nothing!

As for trading feedback. I will be implementing a system within 60 days...much sooner I hope but that;s the latest. It's on my top 10 things to do when I get to Vegas.

CheapyD said he will consider some changes..I will hold my tongue until he makes his decision public. Really though..post count is not a competition, nor a way for reputation to be established..to me post count simply represents how much time a user has spent here. But just because someone hangs out at the library all day doesn't mean they can read. Just because an person is at a bar all day doesnt mean they are an alcholic....and just because someone posts 2000 posts every month and hangs at CAG all day doesn't mean you are extra cool.

my 2 cents

[quote name='Machine']Everytime somebody posts some sort of "me too" post in a thread, their post count should go down instead of up. I'm sick of reading threads where four out of every five posts is "yeah" or "what he said" or similar crap. Maybe this would cut down on the whoring.[/quote]

Yeah! What he said! Me too!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Machine']Everytime somebody posts some sort of "me too" post in a thread, their post count should go down instead of up. I'm sick of reading threads where four out of every five posts is "yeah" or "what he said" or similar crap. Maybe this would cut down on the whoring.[/quote]

Yeah! What he said! Me too![/quote]

Agreed.

To me this has not much to do with post counts and more to do with people just disliking the OTT. Personally I enjoy the OTT and as some people may or may not know I've been around longer than the stats to the left indicate so obviously I could give a crap about post counts, custom ranks, etc.

Get rid of counts if you like but do you think it will stop whatever you dislike about the OTT? The answer is no, the OTT has become perhaps the tightest community on these boards and IMO the friendliest as well. Maybe that's bad, maybe it's too much like a clique, I dunno, but I do know that taking off post counts won't solve crap. Take them off the front page if you want to be honest I don't ever look at the list of 10 recent threads on the front page, I actually take the extra 2 and 1/2 seconds to go to the forum index.

Hiccup (and others similar) have been around awhile and though a good majority of his posts go towards the OTT because that forum mostly contains the people he enjoys talking to the most. And he does contribute some outside the OTT on occasion. There are over 25,000 registered users for this site and I'd bet that maybe 1/5 of those 25,000 have ever made a post of any kind. I know people coming here to use this site is what keeps it alive, however I'd personally rather have somebody like hiccup who adds a little humor and occasional insight to our community than someone who brings none of that to the table, even if he does place too much emphasis on post count. So he made a thread chronilng number 5000, big deal, how many reposts are there each day again? I'm not a fan of those kinds of threads but their easy enough to ignore, if it's on the front page I don't click, and if you just ignore them they fall off the front page

Bottomline, I probably would be pretty bored on this site if it weren't for the OTT style stuff. As much as I like games I can't talk about all day and the OTT is a fun diversion, but if you don't enjoy it just ignore it, it's not really that hard to do. I think maybe just big serious warning to tell everyone don't make threads about post counts will solve that problem and those who dislike the OTT will have to ignore that one forum as hard as that may seem. So in goes my two cents...

[quote name='defender']How about a minimum character post count?

Say... 100 characters at least.[/quote]

Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea. Good idea..

IN B4 TEH MINIMUM CHARACTER POST COUNT...0rz!

Was that enough?

I think that would be unwise to add a character limit:

For Example, say someone has a question about a deal and makes a post like this

"Is this deal B&M?"

It would not allow him to ask,without adding a ton of extra information

....mocking the mods isnt too bright...we expect that out of banky (one too many chocolate pretzels), but come on. We get the point. I know Defender just wants to make it so the the childish BS will stop, and im guessing/hoping he doesnt mean to ONLY have serious posts and the like, but some of it does go to far.

[quote name='Machine']How about a no smiley rule?[/quote]

I think the smilies help when people want to indicate they are being sarcastic and not serious. Therefore, I think they should stay.

[quote name='scsg75']My issue, since the Political topics are no longer posted on the front page, I vote something similar be done with the OTTs. I get tired of seeing half the new topics on the front page being one of the 100 variations of the OTT. Just a thought.[/quote]

That does sound like a good idea.
Off Topic really doesn't draw new users into the site, and having the recent topics on the front page glutted with them doesn't help to draw people in.
Most people coming to the site come looking for deals, and might be turned off by some of the more outlandish off-topic topic names.
The people who would be participating in off topic posts likely know how to find thier way around enough to do so without having all the updates listed on the front page.

This is why I love this site. Despite everything that has changed, and all the greivances, real or imagined people have, CheapyD takes it all in stride.

Sometimes, this is exactly what you have to do in these situations...
a sense of humor makes everything just a whole lot easier to bear.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='scsg75']My issue, since the Political topics are no longer posted on the front page, I vote something similar be done with the OTTs. I get tired of seeing half the new topics on the front page being one of the 100 variations of the OTT. Just a thought.[/quote]

That does sound like a good idea.
Off Topic really doesn't draw new users into the site, and having the recent topics on the front page glutted with them doesn't help to draw people in.
Most people coming to the site come looking for deals, and might be turned off by some of the more outlandish off-topic topic names.
The people who would be participating in off topic posts likely know how to find thier way around enough to do so without having all the updates listed on the front page.[/quote]

Thanks Jsweeney. It was my one good idea for the year. I'm spent now.

One other thing, I notice some people turning this into a "us against them" kind of thing with the people who post in the OTT saying everyone's against them. That's silly, we are all CAGs and come here for our own reasons, so stop with the "they hate us" or they are against us attitude.
The fact is seeing multiple OTT on the front page (one "official" OTT) and then 4 or 5 other topics like "What movie will you like" or "What TV show do you hate" or "Join the Chatroom" gets old for the majority of people on the site who are here for game deals.

[quote name='Neko Hime'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'] A. I don't crave attention
I got 4000 posts!
I got 5000 posts!

Other wise I more than agree with you. punq, Rybakc, Ledhed, Trakan they are all great people. I just feel that there is almost a witch hunt here. There's a lynch mob just for the OTs and that is not fair.[/quote]

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Breathe in, breathe out…

Now repeat after me, “it’s only a message board…”
I don’t think anyone is mob lynching you here. O:)

Your collective concerns about making this board better are indeed much appreciated.

Look, all the posts were not for nothing![/quote]

Careful. When Neko Hime posts about you, you tend to get famous.
Remember what happened with Mr. Anderson?
Not many get the attentions of the Princess of the Cheap Asses.

:rofl:

I didn't see this earlier...gold!

To go along with what Wshakspear said, there's a big difference between a silly retort and some of the maliciousness that's been in the air lately, and I think it's the maliciousness is the issue at hand.

That, and there's a whole tub of "taking it too personally" that people seem to be dipping in before signing on...but Neko Hime already addressed that.

'Nuff said.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Mr.Answer']What is the actual benefit of having post counts?[/quote]

There's really only one point - and it's an important one to me and a lot of others who use this site.... I'd rather trade with someone with a high post count. I know you can artificially inflate your post count with meaningless crap posts but I'd find it hard to believe that someone would get up over 1000 posts over a period of 6 months to rip someone off in a $20 trade. If that's what happens then so be it I guess but I feel a lot safer trading with someone like that than with a total noob. IMO, the higher the post count the more likely that you are not going to get ripped off by that person.[/quote]

This is somewhat how I feel about it although it can be misleading.. I mean crap (I am going to do it even though I have no problem with him)
Scorch just came here and hes way up in the 5k + range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back