Forza!

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Gamespots review is my final deciding factor, since they are my most trusted reviewers, ill post that up the instant it becomes available, though im surprised they dont have a countdown timer for the review like they did for half-life 2[/QUOTE]

although, it is an anticipated game, forza is definitely not as big has HL 2 was...

Thanks for posting these. I'm hoping Fry's gets 'em in tomorrow and they're on sale.

Holy crap. That was a long read. For an online review that is. Now back to studying....

[quote name='KingDox']any news on DLC ? will there be cars and will any of the cars be free ?[/QUOTE]

Nothing yet, there are already 240 cars in the game. So it might be new tracks, parts, textures, and maybe cars. I think we'll be fine with the 240 though...

[quote name='peteyrose']Kudos to MS! They just can't make a bad racer :)[/QUOTE]

yep they have made pgr series, rallisport series, and now forza

btw i would like to join the car club for cag (most likely the asia region)

[quote name='H-Town Info']9.2 by gamespot. this game possibly is now the benchmark for simulation racing and not the gran tursimo series[/QUOTE]
Yeah right. Maybe the benchmark for Xbox, but not simulation racing in general.

[quote name='Msia']Yeah right. Maybe the benchmark for Xbox, but not simulation racing in general.[/QUOTE]

GT4 = Driving
Forza = Racing

Even after all the bashing i've heard regarding GT4, I still think that they've (Polyphony Digital) putted out a great game.

Forza isn't a GT killer, but it's a strong addition to MS first party games. Also, it's good to see someone step up to compete against GT and does it well on top of it.

This will push the GT series to re-invent their seires (customization, ONLINE and car damage).

Will there be a sticky post for the Forza Club?

I don't even like realistic racing games, and you guys are making me want this. *wipes supadupacheap's splooge off*

I'm going to put this in my GameFly GameQ.

So who's going to be the first CAG'er to grab it and post first impressions? I'll find a way to get it if it's that awesome, otherwise I can wait a bit for a price drop..

Holy fuck! MS is the bomb! I thought "Why would they bother making another great racer with Burnout 3, RSC2 and PGR2 already out?" but shit. They do it again! The XBox has become probably the best racing console ever now.

Burnout 3 93.7
Forza 93.6 (so far)
PGR2 93.2
Midnight Club 3 88.9 (so far)
Burnout 2 88.4
RSC2 88.9
(All averages from gamerankings.com)

Also can't forget the MotoGP series (THQ's not Namco's) with a 87.5% average (Moto GP2) and rumor has it Moto GP 3 will be out this year for the box.

Too bad MS didn't buy Dice for the RSC rights, I read Dice was still in the middle of that EA buyout, which would be rich if all consoles get a tast of the Ralli world. The only thing the system is missing now is some rich futuristic racer like F-Zero.

Go MS! Go, go MS!

I picked up GT4 but grew tired with it fairly quickly, probably because I've played the hell out of the previous GT games.
I think I'll trade it in and get Forza.

We also need to establish a Slogan, Description, And Flag for the possible Cheapassgamer club. im not getting any copies on the island till tomorrow but ill rush and buy it then, im already making my ideal car list

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Holy fuck! MS is the bomb! I thought "Why would they bother making another great racer with Burnout 3, RSC2 and PGR2 already out?" but shit. They do it again! The XBox has become probably the best racing console ever now.
[/QUOTE]

Er... because Forza is a sim?

The only thing the system is missing now is some rich futuristic racer like F-Zero.

Quantum Redshift.

[quote name='CheapyD']Has anyone found mention Forza supporting split screen online mulitplayer mode (a la Halo 2)?[/QUOTE]

I read that system link is one person per box, so I assume it'll be the same for online.

No Forza at Fry's yet. So I got MX vs. ATV to hold me over. I hope they get it by lunch time tomorrow and on sale, too.

[quote name='rafissaying']has anyone tried any other places to pick up forza? i really want to play it.[/QUOTE]
best buy, and gamestop doesnt have it till tomorrow either

Ill be picking it up at around 3pm est tomorrow, but i doubt ill be online first time around, remember that your performance as a driver, affects our rank as a clan

[quote name='H-Town Info']9.2 by gamespot. this game possibly is now the benchmark for simulation racing and not the gran tursimo series[/QUOTE]

Gran Turismo 3 got a 9.4, GT4 didn't rate as high because they didn't really change a whole lot. The scores are so close together as to not make them worth comparing, though, it's safe to say they are both great games.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Gran Turismo 3 got a 9.4, GT4 didn't rate as high because they didn't really change a whole lot.[/QUOTE]

True, although standards when GT3 came out were lower than they are now.

Is it a GT4 "killer?" Nah. But it also does not have to take a backseat to it at all. GT4 has more cars, but looking at the Forza selection, there are some that GT4 doesn't have that I'd much rather use. I guess some people are complaining about Forza not having quite enough tracks (at least by comparison to other racers), hopefully that'll be remedied with downloads eventually. Still, online play is something GT4 doesn't have, and that's a big difference.

It's not worth getting into a nitpicky fight about it though. Just suffice to say Forza is fucking awesome, and if you like racing games you most likely will not be disappointed in the least, especially if you have XBL.

[quote name='KaneRobot']True, although standards when GT3 came out were lower than they are now.

Is it a GT4 "killer?" Nah. But it also does not have to take a backseat to it at all. GT4 has more cars, but looking at the Forza selection, there are some that GT4 doesn't have that I'd much rather use. I guess some people are complaining about Forza not having quite enough tracks (at least by comparison to other racers), hopefully that'll be remedied with downloads eventually. Still, online play is something GT4 doesn't have, and that's a big difference.

It's not worth getting into a nitpicky fight about it though. Just suffice to say Forza is fucking awesome, and if you like racing games you most likely will not be disappointed in the least, especially if you have XBL.[/QUOTE]

GT4 has more cars indeed...

but how many Lancer Evolution do you really need :p

Hopefully my Wal-Mart will get this game in tomorrow. I want to see some CAG's custom cars. I don't have XBL so posting pics is the only way I can see them.

[quote name='METH']GT4 has more cars indeed...

but how many Lancer Evolution do you really need :p[/QUOTE]

You can never have too many... Lancer Evos are my favorite!

Behold the power of Forza:

Here's a true story: As an import-tuning wannabe, I recently caught the Honda S2000 bug and became curious about the drifting capabilities of this RWD roadster. So what better way to answer my own question by picking up this slick fan-favorite mobile with some extra money I had in my Forza account. Initial test drives of my new S2000 confounded my expectations. Instead of being able to kick out my rear end on a dime, the S2000 understeered itself into the dirt on high-speed corners if I eased up on the throttle when heading into the apex of the turn. Frankly, it was pissing me off and, if Forza couldn't even capture the handling of a popular car like the S2000, I was ready to write off it off as fatally inaccurate.

That is, until I Googled-up "S2000" and "understeer," which lead me to a handful of real-life car reviews that mention the very same handling problem I experienced just hours earlier on my Xbox. I was stunned. Furthermore, I found a suspension tweaking guide (again, for the real-world S2000) that I was able to use and correct my S2000's understeering problem. At that point, I became a true believer. The fact that I was able to surf for tuning FAQs on enthusiast car forums (and ironically, on various Gran Turismo 4 sites) for hints on how to tune my virtual ride absolutely blew my mind....

The guide i posted in the clan forum is very good for battling steering issues with custom tuning

Just put a couple of hours into the game and so far so good. I've got 5 cars in my garage so far, winning them through the events. The damage model really makes you aware of your racing lines. The AI so far has been pretty competitive. They're right on your rear bumper if you take a series of corners wrong and in one instance, I was spun out when I was hit in the right rear corner when I was out of the racing line. It wasn't frustrating at all. Not a moment later, I was in the same situation (after taking a few corners too fast) and was able to save the car.

One thing though, the car sounds seem a bit muted especially compared to GT4. I kept turning up the sound, but it's still not to my liking. More impressions later.

Is the actual game different than the demo disc thats been out for a while? I'm not 100 percent feeling the demo disc, even though I plan on buying the game for live and for customization. Please respond soon, cuz ima buy it tonight.

I don't understand what all the fuss was about. Racing game fans were hailing Forza as the second coming of Christ practically, and, although it is apparently a good game, it does't seem to be distinguishable from the many other Xbox racers which got equal or better scores.

I was considering renting this even though I'm pretty indifferent to realistic racing games, but I just don't see anything interesting. Crashing once and then not being able to win the race is not my idea of fun.

I'm not trying to start an argument or flame war whatsoever. I just don't see what's so special about the game when it doesn't seem to offer anything that other good racing games don't. But maybe I just don't "get it", the same way people don't understand my love for WrestleMania 21. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Is the actual game different than the demo disc thats been out for a while? I'm not 100 percent feeling the demo disc, even though I plan on buying the game for live and for customization. Please respond soon, cuz ima buy it tonight.[/QUOTE]
They say the difference between the demo and the game is like the difference between Grand Turismo 2 and 3

[quote name='Matt Young']I don't understand what all the fuss was about. Racing game fans were hailing Forza as the second coming of Christ practically, and, although it is apparently a good game, it does't seem to be distinguishable from the many other Xbox racers which got equal or better scores.

I was considering renting this even though I'm pretty indifferent to realistic racing games, but I just don't see anything interesting. Crashing once and then not being able to win the race is not my idea of fun.

I'm not trying to start an argument or flame war whatsoever. I just don't see what's so special about the game when it doesn't seem to offer anything that other good racing games don't. But maybe I just don't "get it", the same way people don't understand my love for WrestleMania 21. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Ah, lost misguided youth. How sad. :imwithst: (j/k)

The difference is there is NOTHING like this on the xbox AT ALL. It is a combination of the best of the xbox (MC,PG2,etc) AND a full on Grand Turismo-esq game.

If you want to just bash around corners and fly top speed through every race, this isnt the game for you even with adjustments (try NFSU or Burnout 3) It is a true racing sim. For those hardcore of us out there, this is the realtization of a dream. (a true sim racer) If youre not into that sort of thing, its just another highly rated game thats not your cup of tea (we all have games like that... well, except Shrike. :p) Forza fills a huge hole in the xbox lineup. For many of us that hole was BIG. For you it wasnt. Simple as that.

*Edit* Another thing Id like to add, the definition of "sim" is often used to give a racing game more "props" in the racing genre. Its very much overused. A true sim is detailed almost to a fault. If a true sim (like Forza) is played by a non-sim type player, it will eat them alive (as it should) Most car enthusiasts love details. Tweaking, modding, tuning, the whole works. Personally, I love how cars *feel* incredibly different whereas in other games they can all meld together physics wise. The other racers on the xbox were good to great. Many even surpass forza in certain aspects (customization, sense of speed,etc) However, Forza is THE Sim racer us xboxers have been waiting for. For many people its sim to a fault (hard, demanding, detailed) but to a lot of us, its heaven in a DVD case.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Is the actual game different than the demo disc thats been out for a while? I'm not 100 percent feeling the demo disc, even though I plan on buying the game for live and for customization. Please respond soon, cuz ima buy it tonight.[/QUOTE]

I would not base any buying decisions on the demo. If you are unsure, rent. The diff between just the videos of the demo and final versions are night and day. Im sure playing actually shows an even more stark contrast.

WOW WOW WOW!!! I just spent a little over an hour with this game... I'd really like to elaborate on how great it is, but I have to go play it some more. ;)

So who else plays this game? I was on most of the day today and only saw Meth. This game's absolutely phenomenal. I spent most of yesterday playing Career and getting used to the AI, which I'm liking very much. They'll challenge you and get out front if you race sloppy, but run your lines and you'll eventually reel them in.

Online adds so much to this game. Playing the career online with active players and cheering and jeering all about is great. More than any other racer, I really get the sense of everyone in the race feeling they are racing their car. It's not just "pick your car" and race. Some cars look stock and you see it perform and you have to ask what's under the hood. Brings together that sense that you see out there in the real car tuning world.

I was in a race with some WRX STis, Porsches, and Skylines. I was in a Celica and got out front on Tsukuba. And all I could hear was, "Damn, a Celica's out front." It's a virtual car, but it gives you the same sense of joy to hear that sort of awe inspired gawking as a real car would.

The damage model adds so much to races and I can't imagine going back to sim racing without one. Race strategies play out early and all throughout the race. Damage your car to the point of crippling it and yeah, it's frustrating. Win that way and it's exhilirating.

The one problem with that is if you get in a race with bumper car drivers. Some guys use the GT4 mentality and use you to slow down for corners. True, it usually damages their car more (steering, etc. vs. your body work for the most part), but it costs you credits in the end of the race having to fix your car due to their driving ineptitude. I'm kind of hoping there's some sort of system implemented where drivers like these are penalized at the end of the race by having to pay for the damage they cause. Not sure how that can be implemented now, but maybe next time.

For starters, I know this may sound odd, but turn off all assists and the racing line. I feel like the assists hinder you more than they help you and with the start of the game, you really don't have access to the higher-classed cars than can potentially cause you to spin out. Better to learn now than later. Plus you get more credits with each win (with my settings, I get a +60% difficulty bonus). If you do have to keep one though, keep the ABS. The STM and TCS seem far too restrictive with getting the power down and really hampers your times.

Wont ever see this in GT4 ;)

forza_0006.jpg

bread's done
Back