FREE Comic Books Thread (Under Construction)

I got your warning about the hack incident before Comixology emailed me about it. Thanks for the heads-up.

So what other companies out there have free books on their app? Obviously there is DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, and Top Cow. Can you guys think of any other companies?

Since it's FCBD might as well revive the Free Comics thread

Free Comic Book Day Thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/330397-free-comic-book-day-is-on-may-3rd/

Some of the FCBD shows up on Comixology.

Some free stuff started already. Dark Horse has three free Star Wars 4 issue bundles:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4666.star-wars-empire-starter-bundle/

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4667.star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-starter-bundle/

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/4668.star-wars-legacy-starter-bundle/

Here's a multiuse code for Daredevil: Road Warrior #1 free: DDROAD  ( https://comicstore.marvel.com/Daredevil-Road-Warrior-Infinite-Comic-1-of-4/digital-comic/33393 )

Injustice: Gods Among Us #1: ROK3Y-JDLQW ( https://www.readdcentertainment.com/redeem )

Cool find. Thanks! How did you find out about it?

Just checked on the Comixology app and it's also free on there. It's not advertised on the home page so you have to search for it.

Comixology newsletter. I've been paying more attention after missing the big SXSW giveaway (really wanted that My Little Pony too  :whistle2:| ) , this one had a title that interested me: "ComiXology Summer Reading List Begins: 20 Days. 20 Free Comics!‏"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...I guess Comixology heard me: My Little Pony Pony Tales Volume 1 I'm going to be depressed if I read this My Little Pony and like it.

Since Comixology is reading...I also really want all of the issues of Batman and Detective Comics I can't afford...and a few more too. Just the ones from 1939 to 2014.

Lucky Bronies. They're actually getting six free issues for the price of one freebie.

I wouldn't mind some free Buffy The Vampire Slayer, The Walking Dead, or Simpsons comics.

Some free Simpsons or Futurama would be awesome...

Today is...umm... Lumberjanes Huh? It is written by Grace Ellis. I've decided Grace Ellis is Warren Ellis' 7 year old daughter. I am not sure if Warren has any kids, but the idea of his 7 year old daughter writing comics amuses me.

Archer & Armstrong: Archer #0 Day 6 and the second Fred Van Lente comic (Magnus is the other one). Leads me to one of four conclusions:

1) Comixology really likes Fred Van Lente.

B) Fred Van Lente writes good comics.

Trois) Fred Van Lente writes a lot of comics.

Cuatro) None of the above.

Figures that they add a bunch of books I never heard of. I hope that changes today.

According to my Purchases page (which includes free books), I have 106 books on there. I think I bought something like 10 since they gave me a gift card to try the store out (gotta love their 99 cent sales).  

I don't mind stuff I never heard of, but they need some better choices. Lumberjanes was kinda awful.

WWE Superstars is Comixology Summer Reading Free for today. I read the first four issues and it is actually a fun little noir. Not too wrestling focused either, more like little nods to wrestling. Wrestlers play various roles around the city: Captain Charisma Christian is the police captain, Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio are running for district attorney, Great Khali and Hornswoggle are mob bosses. It's kinda crazy, it's a noir with the hero framed for a crime he didn't commit, corrupt cops, a femme fatale but then they'll do wrestling moves. It's kind of like a musical the way a wrestling move seems like an everyday occurrence in this world. WWE Superstars is geo-locked so Locke & Key: Welcome To Lovecraft #1 is also free. I've never read Locke & Key, not a fan of horror.

If you dug that WWE Comic pick up the rest of the series, it's more of the same crazy.

Today's freebie is back to never heard of it stuff: Lola XOXO Vol. 1 #1 The preview wasn't anything I wanted to read, I'm actually saying pass on a free comic.

Aspen sure does make some pretty comics...

Today's free book is Anti-Hero #1 Written by Jay Faerber who wrote Point of Impact a few years ago, I think I liked that one. Plus this is published by Monkeybrain and Monkeybrain tends to have good books.

Made a big boo boo on the app. I had a lot of books added and tried to download a bunch all at once. For the past few days, I've been stuck at 21 books to download and it keeps resetting. I need to find a place that has wicked fast internet speeds or this will never install.

I accidentally hit download all on the recent purchases page, took forever and half the stuff was free comics I deleted due to suckage.

Today's free comic is the newest Silver Surfer  #1 by Dan Slott and Mike Allred.

Today's free Insufferable #1 from Mark Waid and Peter Krause. Irredeemable from Waid and Krause was awesome, I expect this to follow suit. Also noticed Cable and Deadpool #1 and a few X-Men #1's free in the Marvel section.

Today's free Insufferable #1 from Mark Waid and Peter Krause. Irredeemable from Waid and Krause was awesome, I expect this to follow suit. Also noticed Cable and Deadpool #1 and a few X-Men #1's free in the Marvel section.
Could you be a heaven sent agent of help by informing which X-Men #1's are free? I have been searching on my phone browser since computer is down, with no finds.
Thank you if able.

Great thanks to this thread.

[quote name="Dishinshoryuken" post="11833375" timestamp="1402476450"]Could you be a heaven sent agent of help by informing which X-Men #1's are free? I have been searching on my phone browser since computer is down, with no finds.
Thank you if able.

Great thanks to this thread.[/quote]

I found them through the Android app in the free section

Free today: 7th Sword #1 Samurai and robots...I'm in!

Could you be a heaven sent agent of help by informing which X-Men #1's are free? I have been searching on my phone browser since computer is down, with no finds.
Thank you if able.

Great thanks to this thread.
Finding free comics on the android app: tap the top left corner (where it says featured), tap publishers, tap your preferred publisher, scroll down to the bottom. If they are offering any free comics they will be listed there. I would guess the iOS app would be the same or similar procedure.

...Not the comic I would choose to end an event...not even the Vertigo comic I would choose to end an event.
None of these comics were really great imo. I can understand not everything can be Marvel or DC. I get that they want us to try a wide range of other publishers and books. Still most of those I looked at and was like what, why this? Im upset I missed the normandy one. Had I known that was a $20 graphic novel I would have bit, but I looked at it and was like meh, Ive seen too many games/movies/tv shows on the Normandy invasion anyways.

Least I got the pony book, that was nice, always good to have some ponies.

None of these comics were really great imo. I can understand not everything can be Marvel or DC. I get that they want us to try a wide range of other publishers and books. Still most of those I looked at and was like what, why this? Im upset I missed the normandy one. Had I known that was a $20 graphic novel I would have bit, but I looked at it and was like meh, Ive seen too many games/movies/tv shows on the Normandy invasion anyways.

I thought there was some good variety. Highlights for me were Werewolves of Montpellier and Normandy. Those and the My Little Pony one were complete graphic novels/trade paperbacks.

The remainder were samples meant to entice you to buy the rest of the series. That's fine-- it's the reason for freebies like this. Highlights there where Batman: The Black Mirror, Lumberjanes, Silver Surfer, and Hinterkind.

The rest... it's pretty much what you expect for a promotional like this. Avatar cruft; a 90s-style Badgirl book; a videogame tie-in; an Archie book; another incarnation of Magnus, Robot Fighter... Actually, the Archie book was different and worth reading for free. I haven't read any of the unfamiliar titles yet, but there might be some gems in there (Archer & Armstrong and Letter 41 look promising.)

So some kids stuff, some acclaimed indie stuff, a couple samples from the major publishers, some generic stuff, and a chance to try some things I've never heard of. All for free. Werewolves of Montpillier alone was worth the price of admission.

The only one I skipped was the wrestling one.

There were a few good ones (Batman, Anti-Hero, Silver Surfer, My little Pony (yeah, I said it was great), a few fun ones (Magnus, WWE) and a bunch of haven't read yet. It was a pretty good variety. Could I have come up with better choices, yep. But I enjoyed it enough.

I thought there was some good variety. Highlights for me were Werewolves of Montpellier and Normandy. Those and the My Little Pony one were complete graphic novels/trade paperbacks.

The remainder were samples meant to entice you to buy the rest of the series. That's fine-- it's the reason for freebies like this. Highlights there where Batman: The Black Mirror, Lumberjanes, Silver Surfer, and Hinterkind.

The rest... it's pretty much what you expect for a promotional like this. Avatar cruft; a 90s-style Badgirl book; a videogame tie-in; an Archie book; another incarnation of Magnus, Robot Fighter... Actually, the Archie book was different and worth reading for free. I haven't read any of the unfamiliar titles yet, but there might be some gems in there (Archer & Armstrong and Letter 41 look promising.)

So some kids stuff, some acclaimed indie stuff, a couple samples from the major publishers, some generic stuff, and a chance to try some things I've never heard of. All for free. Werewolves of Montpillier alone was worth the price of admission.

The only one I skipped was the wrestling one.
I typed my response then saw you said a variation of the same thing. I agree with everything but the bold. I have to think I'm no where near the target audience because Lumberjanes was awful. But I enjoyed the bits My Little Pony well enough. I guess if I have a girl I'll be able to read comics with her until she hits her teens...

You shouldn't have skipped the wrestling one...assuming you like noir. It really wasn't very wrestling focused. The wrestling is part of that book like the military is part of G.I. Joe: it's there and part of the book, but if you aren't into it you can still enjoy your book. Now if you don't dig wrestling or noir you wouldn't dig the WWE comic.

I finished downloading all those books a few days ago and I noticed I had over 100 comic books on my tablet. I was almost out of storage space so I started reading and deleting books I didn't like. The Archie book was more intense than I expected; even though I deleted the issue, I would check out the rest of the series if it went on sale to see what happens. 7th Sword did nothing for me.

So far I've only liked two books enough to keep them. One was called The Acclerators from an indy company called BlueJuice Comics which involved a time machine created in the 1970's with people from that era going forward in time. The other one is ....

Aspen sure does make some pretty comics...

Today's free book is Anti-Hero #1 Written by Jay Faerber who wrote Point of Impact a few years ago, I think I liked that one. Plus this is published by Monkeybrain and Monkeybrain tends to have good books.
You're not kidding. Anti-Hero was short but it was a very entertaining read on the superhero identity. I'm definitely interested in seeing where this series goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good one from Monkeybrain with the same vibe of Anti-Hero is Masks and Mobsters. Written by Joshua Williamson (Nailbiter, Ghosted, Captain Midnight) it's a noir story about crime and superheroes. There's two negatives to the series. The stories all feel like back-ups, like something extra to flesh out the main story, except the back-ups are better than the main story. The other negative is there's only ten issues. There's supposed to be a volume two coming, but who knows when.

Check the free comics section in comixology guys - new free comics are up (I can't remember which - I just added them all again)

Valiant added, "a limited time," free Digital Exclusive #1s: Rai, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Unity, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Quantum and Woody (new series and original) and the last couple years of FCBD issues. Rai wasn't bad and Quantum and Woody is pretty funny, haven't checked out the rest yet.

Check the free comics section in comixology guys - new free comics are up (I can't remember which - I just added them all again)
Most of that stuff has been free. Comixology changed the free section, it used to have new stuff but now they just have a seemingly random selection of free issues "featured." Merc with a Mouth and Avengers Arena are the most recent editions. Now to find free stuff you have to search through individual publishers on the app.

Yep, I just on occasion browse my preferred publishers and see what's new. The only tough was is DC, three entries and two of them have over 100. Looking through those for new ones usually isn't worth the trouble.

SDCC leads to more free comics!

Detective Comics #27 is free:

Original

Batman Day Version (features original Detective Comics #27 story (still pretty good), Brad Meltzer & Bryan Hitch "reimagining" (still pretty meh), a Scott Snyder & Sean Murphy story (REALLY good) and...something...else...it's from Meltzer and Chip Kidd and I think it really sucks (adding Meltzer's script over the original story art? Who thought that was a good idea?)

Batman Eternal #1: batman75

You have to get these from the Marvel store (link your Comixology and Marvel account if you haven't already!):

Black Widow #1 (new series): WIDOW

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 (Abnett and Lanning series): DNA

Inhuman #1: BLACKBOLT
Uncanny Avengers #1: UNITY

Free infinite comics (the #1's are on Comixology but #2's aren't even showing available):

Deadpool Gauntlet #1 & #2

Wolverine: Japan's Most Wanted #1 & #2

Iron Man: Fatal Frontier #1 & #2

Link

Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite #1: Drax

Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite #2: Rocket Raccoon

And all of that Valiant stuff is still free but I expect the "a limited time" to end after SDCC. Free Digital Exclusive #1s: Rai, Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Shadowman, Unity, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Quantum and Woody (new series and original) and the last couple years of FCBD issues. Rai wasn't bad and Quantum and Woody is pretty funny, haven't checked out the rest yet.

That looks like all for now...

bread's done
Back