FREE Comic Books Thread (Under Construction)

Thanks for posting, Viktor. How did you hear about this? I still get the newsletter so that's my only way of knowing what's going on with Comixology ( I plan to get that Submit SXSW bundle of 30 comics for $2.99). 

Side note: Unlike the other codes, the FLASH code is valid until March 16.

Alright, I'm back with more free comics ladies and gentleman (HAH! Ladies? Sure...hmm....if there are any ladies say hi, and make sure you mark your post "Okay to hit on" (I'm totally not being a jerk, that's a comics joke! Back in the old days, before the 2000s, comics had letters pages where you could send a tweet on paper through the mail with more than 140 characters to comic creators and if you wanted it to appear on the last page of a comic you had to write "Okay to print." Some comics still do letters pages (lots of indie stuff, Deadpool does it in character and other Marvel comics are bringing back the letters page, which is awesome! (to me anyway) Alright! I got coffee in me again and I'm rambling and y'all just want the free stuff...so here...we...go! (seriously, caffeine makes me typey)

WAIT! Before we start, the previous codes expire tonight at 11:59 (Central I think, but grab them before them Eastern to be sure). These codes expire tomorrow at the same 11:59 some zone or the other.

LOVECRAFT - Locke & Key Volume 1 (186 Pages | Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft #1-6) (Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez)

SAGA - Saga #1 (47 pages) (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples)

WICDIV - Wicked + Divine #1 (39 pages) (Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)

PILGRIM - Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 (172 pages | color edition, if that matters to anyone) (Bryan Lee O'Malley and Bryan Lee O'Malley and Nathan Fairbairn (Colors))

How did you hear about this?
Saw an ad for Jimmy Kimmel live from Austin, thought that's probably for SXSW and remembered Comixology has free comics for SXSW (still angry I missed the Monkey Brain bundle last year!)

I still get the newsletter so that's my only way of knowing what's going on with Comixology ( I plan to get that Submit SXSW bundle of 30 comics for $2.99).

Side note: Unlike the other codes, the FLASH code is valid until March 16.
The newsletter usually doesn't mention any of their free events for some reason (I guess because it's free, heh). The submit bundle looks pretty good, there's one from the Wachowskis (?!) and the main draw Leaving Megalopolis from Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore (Secret Six!) I know nothing of the other 28 comics but it seems like a mix of stuff I hope to see more of and stuff I hope goes away never to be seen again. I'm not sure where that FLASH code came from, I did a search after seeing the other free stuff and found that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I'm back with more free comics ladies and gentleman (HAH! Ladies? Sure...hmm....if there are any ladies say hi, and make sure you mark your post "Okay to hit on" (I'm totally not being a jerk, that's a comics joke! Back in the old days, before the 2000s, comics had letters pages where you could send a tweet on paper through the mail with more than 140 characters to comic creators and if you wanted it to appear on the last page of a comic you had to write "Okay to print." Some comics still do letters pages (lots of indie stuff, Deadpool does it in character and other Marvel comics are bringing back the letters page, which is awesome! (to me anyway) Alright! I got coffee in me again and I'm rambling and y'all just want the free stuff...so here...we...go! (seriously, caffeine makes me typey)

WAIT! Before we start, the previous codes expire tonight at 11:59 (Central I think, but grab them before them Eastern to be sure). These codes expire tomorrow at the same 11:59 some zone or the other.

LOVECRAFT - Locke & Key Volume 1 (186 Pages | Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft #1-6) (Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez)

SAGA - Saga #1 (47 pages) (Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples)

WICDIV - Wicked + Divine #1 (39 pages) (Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)

PILGRIM - Scott Pilgrim Volume 1 (172 pages | color edition, if that matters to anyone) (Bryan Lee O'Malley and Bryan Lee O'Malley and Nathan Fairbairn (Colors))

Saw an ad for Jimmy Kimmel live from Austin, thought that's probably for SXSW and remembered Comixology has free comics for SXSW (still angry I missed the Monkey Brain bundle last year!)

The newsletter usually doesn't mention any of their free events for some reason (I guess because it's free, heh). The submit bundle looks pretty good, there's one from the Wachowskis (?!) and the main draw Leaving Megalopolis from Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore (Secret Six!) I know nothing of the other 28 comics but it seems like a mix of stuff I hope to see more of and stuff I hope goes away never to be seen again. I'm not sure where that FLASH code came from, I did a search after seeing the other free stuff and found that one.
I found out about the codes on their facebook page, also listed on the comixology twitter.

Back again, tired and currently sans caffeine so mostly free comics, not much free commentary. I noticed there's been no females stop by...*ahem*

TREES - Trees #1 (24 pages) (Warren Ellis and Jason Howard) (this is one of those add the comics then put the code in the promo box ones, the rest are go to reedem page codes) (I got a message from a buddy about this one, already have it so I'm not positive it works...)
CRIMINALS - Sex Criminals #1 (39 pages) (Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky) (this is an ADULT comic, not just in the sexual nature but it is emotionally raw as well...so be prepared. Also, it's very funny.)
PLANET - Bitch Planet #1 (30 pages) (Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine DeLandro) (I guess today is free comics you don't want your mom to know you read day at Comixology)
DAREDEVIL - The Man Without Fear #1 (27 pages) (Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.)
NOTLIKEUS - They're Not Like Us #1 (24 pages) (Eric Stephenson and Simon Gane)
ARCHIE - Archie: The Married Life Vol. 1 (314 pages | LIFE WITH ARCHIE: THE MARRIED LIFE 1-6 plus bonus material (that's a lot of pages for 6 issues, like 14 issues worth!)) (Paul Kupperberg & Michael Uslan and Norm Breyfogle)
JUGHEAD - Afterlife With Archie Vol. 1: Escape From Riverdale (210 pages | Afterlife With Archie #1-5 (100 pages and one issue less than married Archie...there's gotta be some joke in there...) (Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla & Jack Morelli)

I found out about the codes on their facebook page, also listed on the comixology twitter.
Yeah, sorry, I should have expanded on my comment. Comxiology is posting the drops on their twitter, tumblr and facebook (I'll take pandiosity's word for it, no way I'm going to that wretched hive of scum and villainy). But they don't give much notice: on twitter and tumblr the first mention was around 10am then the first drop came at around 4pm Thursday. I'll assume the same for facebook (not going in there even for free comics). It'd be nice if we'd get a little more warning from Comixology...

Thanks for sharing about the codes to the free comics, @vicktor! Hope your caffeine high is not affecting your rest, cheers!

SXSWDC - Batman: Arkham Knight #1 & 2 (Peter J. Tomasi and Viktor Bogdanovic) Fables: The Wolf Among Us #1 and 2 (Dave Justus & Matt Sturges and Stephen Sadowski) and Mortal Kombat X #1 & 2 (Shawn Kittelsen and Dexter Soy) (MKX1: 27 pages, the rest 23 pages each)

One more: click to get to the page, add to cart, add promo code FLASH, make sure price shows free (or $0.00 I don't remember which Comixology shows) then you'll have this one free too: King: Flash Gordon #1: Digital Exclusive Edition (35 pages) (Ben Acker & Ben Blacker and Lee Ferguson)
CRIMINALS - Sex Criminals #1 (39 pages) (Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky) (this is an ADULT comic, not just in the sexual nature but it is emotionally raw as well...so be prepared. Also, it's very funny.)
PLANET - Bitch Planet #1 (30 pages) (Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine DeLandro) (I guess today is free comics you don't want your mom to know you read day at Comixology)
DAREDEVIL - The Man Without Fear #1 (27 pages) (Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.)
NOTLIKEUS - They're Not Like Us #1 (24 pages) (Eric Stephenson and Simon Gane)
ARCHIE - Archie: The Married Life Vol. 1 (314 pages | LIFE WITH ARCHIE: THE MARRIED LIFE 1-6 plus bonus material (that's a lot of pages for 6 issues, like 14 issues worth!)) (Paul Kupperberg & Michael Uslan and Norm Breyfogle)
JUGHEAD - Afterlife With Archie Vol. 1: Escape From Riverdale (210 pages | Afterlife With Archie #1-5 (100 pages and one issue less than married Archie...there's gotta be some joke in there...) (Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla & Jack Morelli)
These still work. Got into this too late.

Glad I could get some of the Archie ones. My son is now into reading those.

Found some free Archie ones on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Paul_Kupperberg_Life_With_Archie_31?id=_J2dK9JRxGgC&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Roberto_Aguirre_Sacasa_Archie_Meets_Glee_Free_Prev?id=QfiKAwAAQBAJ&hl=en (preview)

Also, Amazon has some free comics.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Comics-Graphic-Novels/zgbs/digital-text/156104011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_2_154606011?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1

Free Comic Book Day is May 2nd. Mark your calendar.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com

Also, make sure you buy some stuff too. Support the store. Supposedly they actually have to pay for those comics they give away. Also, from previous experience, I have received extra items at the checkout for buying stuff. Last time I got some hard cover book.

Is it possible to download Comixology books to a micro SD card instead of the hard drive?  I have 3 GB of unread comics saved and would like the extra space.

Is it possible to download Comixology books to a micro SD card instead of the hard drive? I have 3 GB of unread comics saved and would like the extra space.
If you're using Google Chrome,open Settings then pick "Show advanced settings" at the bottom.Tick the box that says "Ask where to save each file before downloading".Select your SD card when you're downloading a comic.

If you're using Internet Explorer,click the Down arrow next to the save button and select "Save as".Then,select your SD card.

Thanks for the update CodeTrader!  I forgot Google play had comics.  While i was getting the Archie comic i found these on Google play that are also free:

Robyn Hood#1

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Patrick_Shand_Robyn_Hood_1?id=0e6VAAAAQBAJ&hl=en

This one is also available on Amazon through CodeTrader's link above if you rather get it on the kindle.

Halloween comic fest 2014: Scooby doo team up feat. Batman

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/DC_Comics_Halloween_Comic_Fest_2014_Scooby_Doo_Tea?id=aZGDBAAAQBAJ&hl=en

this one is not a comic, but comic related:

Walking Dead: Descent sampler

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jay_Bonansinga_The_Walking_Dead_Descent_Exclusive_?id=Hm3fAwAAQBAJ&hl=en

Thanks for the update CodeTrader! I forgot Google play had comics. While i was getting the Archie comic i found these on Google play that are also free:

Robyn Hood#1

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Patrick_Shand_Robyn_Hood_1?id=0e6VAAAAQBAJ&hl=en

This one is also available on Amazon through CodeTrader's link above if you rather get it on the kindle.

Halloween comic fest 2014: Scooby doo team up feat. Batman

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/DC_Comics_Halloween_Comic_Fest_2014_Scooby_Doo_Tea?id=aZGDBAAAQBAJ&hl=en

this one is not a comic, but comic related:

Walking Dead: Descent sampler

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jay_Bonansinga_The_Walking_Dead_Descent_Exclusive_?id=Hm3fAwAAQBAJ&hl=en

A lot of the stuff free on Kindle and Play is free on Comixology as well (and vice versa) so if you see something free you can usually get it on your preferred platform

Is it possible to download Comixology books to a micro SD card instead of the hard drive? I have 3 GB of unread comics saved and would like the extra space.
Unfortunately no. They say we'll pass along your request when it's mentioned on the Play store. It seems they can't or won't add SD support.

Free Comic Book Day is May 2nd. Mark your calendar.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com

Also, make sure you buy some stuff too. Support the store. Supposedly they actually have to pay for those comics they give away. Also, from previous experience, I have received extra items at the checkout for buying stuff. Last time I got some hard cover book.
They get the books at cost, which is still expensive. One local shop spent $2,000 and most stuff was gone by 2pm. So yeah...spend money guys. Stores have all kinds of different sales. One had 50% off back issues, graphic novels buy 2 get 1 free and various sales on other items. Another did 30% off everything for the first hour, 20 % the second hour and 10 the rest of the day.

As usual I grab freebies then forget to list them. These all went free from Marvel the day after SXSW.

X-Men (2013) #1

Ultimate Spider-Man (2000-2009) #1

Daredevil: Yellow #1

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1

Of course Marvel makes Man Without Fear free the day after they give a code to get it free...more proof Marvel hates us.
Thanks! Also, not sure if you know this, but there is now a Daredevil TV show on Netflix. I haven't seen it myself.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80018294?locale=en-US

Saw them on the app and had no problem picking them up. Thanks.

With Free Comic Book Day approaching, have any of you heard of any special events planned at your local comic book stores yet?

Thanks! Also, not sure if you know this, but there is now a Daredevil TV show on Netflix. I haven't seen it myself.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80018294?locale=en-US
I'm hoping to check it out soon, it looks awesome. I just have to...*ahem* borrow a friend's netflix.

With Free Comic Book Day approaching, have any of you heard of any special events planned at your local comic book stores yet?
One of the local chains is doing 8am-9 33% off for subscribers, 9-10 33 for the rest and 10 to noon 25 off. They are all having extra sales, one has 20,000 $1 comics, another is 40% off back issues and another has a signing with Shawn Gabborin (Fracture, Puppet Master, one of the guys behind Action Lab Comics). The better store in the area hasn't mentioned their sale yet, I figure it'll be 25% anything Avengers and 50% off back issues. I like to hit the sucky chain store first then the better store but then all the good stuff is gone at the better one. On the other hand driving and shopping works out hitting sucky store, Half Price Books, good store (with other random stops between) and then ending at my preferred grocery store before heading home. I toss in a couple Gamestops, Toys R Us' and Best Buys...make a day of it :D

Redeem the code SOULE here and get Strongman Volume 1 (writer: Charles Soule, art: Allen Gladfelter - 114 pages) (don't know when this expires)

Looks like Comixology gives away codes on their podcasts and Twitch too.

Also, Free Comic Book Day is Saturday!!! Remember: this stuff isn't actually free for the Comic Shop so buy a couple things cheapasses (unless you have one of them Shops that only care about Magic the Gathering and are dicks to comic buyers, then just take it all and buy nothing...even the Manga).

I was actually mapping out how I was going to do this on Saturday. If I'm lucky, I'll go to 4 stores and spend at least $10 at every location.

Finished mapping it out and couldn't find one of them.   So it looks like 3 stores for me this year.

If I could, I would go to more. 

For anyone looking for a shop: Comic Shop Locator. CSL lists if the store participates in FCBD and gives a website (if the store added one) so you can check their sales. A bit of a warning, some stores only give a certain amount free after that you have to buy stuff to get more.

I'm only hitting one store this year, the store I don't like is opening later than the store I do and with my route hitting the store I don't like is more convenient. Just went the ATM and have my $100 to spend...and an extra $50 just in case (try to pay cash guys, fees aren't as bad as some places make it out to be but are still a hit to the shop). I splurge on FCBD :D

Here's a look at the books stacked up (the KODANSHA is Manga or Anime or something):

https://twitter.com/PghComics/status/588073824853327875

The Kodansha book is Attack on Titan which is also an anime/manga.

I always bring cash and plan to spend at least $10 at each store. Viktor's right; some stores are especially happy to see cash. In addition, it also speeds up the line for others.

This will be our third year doing FCBD. Going w/ my wife and two boys. Looking forward to it.

Mainly want the kid-friendly comics. Looks like there are 50 to choose from. The store in our area had a limit. I think it was 3 per person. I assume all stores are different. We usually buy a few things too. We might go to a second store to pick up a few more.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

I would love to get the Doctor Who comic that is part of this year's FCBD, but unfortunately the only local "comic" shop's merchandise consists of 3% comics and 97% card game items.  

Even though the shop is supposedly taking part in FCBD, based on past experience they tend to use to day to try to get people to take part in the card game tournament they hold on that day instead of celebrating and selling comics.

'Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron'
Firsts Digital Comic Bundle:

Superior Iron Man #1
Black Widow #1
Captain America #1
Thor God of Thunder #1
Hawkeye #1
Hulk #1
Avengers Origins: Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver #1

Use the code below to get your FREE Digital Comic Bundle.

FNDAAOU6T9HH

FNDAAOUBI48F

Marvel.com/redeem

Superior Iron Man #1
Black Widow #1
Captain America #1
Thor God of Thunder #1
Hawkeye #1
Hulk #1
FNDAAOU6T9HH
FNDAAOUBI48F
Got the 2nd one, thanks!

Looks like Comixology is getting Free Comic Book Day started early: Spotlight on Free Comics and Free Image Comics (a lot of these have been free previously or for awhile).

Half Price Books is giving away comics today too, one free comic with purchase. In the past it's just been a stack of all ages comics they couldn't sell for $0.49

Superior Iron Man #1
Black Widow #1
Captain America #1
Thor God of Thunder #1
Hawkeye #1
Hulk #1

FNDAAOU6T9HH

FNDAAOUBI48F

Marvel.com/redeem
I've got a couple of these codes as well if anyone else needs them. Quote me here and I'll PM the code to you.

Over at FAComics they are having a giveaway for every FCBD 2015 issue (but one that apparently didn't ship to the store supplying the comics for the giveaway). Pretty easy to enter, you just have to like them on Facebook at First Appearance Comics and Games and then there is a post to comment on and like. After that you're entered.

FCBD is over in stores, so now the issues will start appearing online. Dark Horse FCBD for this year and the last couple. More free Dark Horse Comics here. These are all for the Dark Horse app (DH isn't on Comixology, strangely Dynamite is on DH and Comixology). With this you have to click read now to add it to your account.

Now some free Comixology issues:

Marvel's New York Bulletin Secret Wars Newspaper

The Trial of Atomic Robo

Divergence #1: FCBD 2015

8 page previews of upcoming DC titles

I didn't check Marvel's free stuff for a week and it looks like they added a few, they might be changing tomorrow or the next day so check the price before purchase!

Captain America (2004-2011) #1 (Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting)

Daredevil (1998-2011) #82 (Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark)

Invincible Iron Man (2008-2012) #1 (Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca)

Thor (2007-2011) #1 (J. Michael Straczynski and Olivier Coipel)

Avengers Magazine #1 (Has interviews with creators over the years, pretty cool...I may have mentioned this one before).

Captain Canuck #0 (FCBD issue, reboot of the old series. It might have been a Canadian series, but I'm not sure *cough*)

Alright...more free comics!

First is even more 8 page DC previews up to 45 at this point (check before you click, something not free might sneak in there) (in case anyone is wondering most of these seem to be stand alone stories, not the first 8 pages of the next releases)

Caliber Rounds #2 Has interviews about upcoming Caliber issues, a bit more on the history of Caliber and a short comic about Gideon's Pawn (it's a Caliber thing...a supernatural pawn shop that existed in most titles).

Now some FCBD issues:

FCBD 2015: Avengers #1

FCBD 2015: Secret Wars #0

FCBD 2015 - Motorcycle Samurai

FCBD 2015 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Prelude to Vengeance

FCBD 2015 - Transformers: Robots In Disguise (2015-) #0

FCBD 2015 Bodie Troll & Friends (an all ages book about a troll who gets drunk on root beer at a little girl's tea party...)

FCBD 2015: Savage Dragon Legacy

FCBD 2015: Tales of Honor

This link SHOULD keep up with all the FCBD releases, but check before you click, something not free might sneak in there.

Does anyone know if there is a way to filter your books in Comixology to show just the books you havent read?  I have gotten so many from either this thread or other past deals. 

Thanks so much @vicktor! I've increased my collection of digital comics by such a large amount all thanks to your posts. Cheers!

Does anyone know if there is a way to filter your books in Comixology to show just the books you havent read? I have gotten so many from either this thread or other past deals.
In My Books, under the option to Read Now is the option to Archive a book. That removes it from the main list.

bread's done
Back