Gamer mom/dad thread

Congrats, How many is this for you? At least 3, right?

Nothing like a father holding his baby girl for the first time. I'm getting all misty eyed :cry:

[quote name='Javery']Baby... born... girl... so... tired... so... happy...[/QUOTE]Congrats, Javery.

I think it's time to keep the pooping of the pants to your little girl and not you any longer. ;)

Congrats! Also, glad it's you and not me ;). My eldest is about to turn 5 in a week, and my youngest is 20 months. I don't want to experience the joy/pain of a newborn again. :)

Been playing Super Smash Bros Melee on the GCN with the almost-five year old and he loves it.

Thanks guys - this is #3 for me so we are outnumbered now. Not sure if we are going to have any more but we will enjoy this one for sure.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Congrats! I have one on the way and itll be my first. Tips?[/QUOTE]

I'll give you the best tip I ever recieved: Every baby is different. What one person tells you is right another will tell you it's wrong. Observe your babies actions, learn from her, use common sense and you'll be perfectly fine.

Had the baby shower yet? If not get a registry going with Bye Bye Baby (IMO better than Babies R' Us)

Speaking of every baby is different this goes for their growing too. We go to a "play togther learn togther" class every Saturday and met all types of diffrent parents, we get along with most. But the ones that annoy me are what I'm going to label as the "Competitive Parents." Everything is a damn competition to them, even about things that can't be controlled. This goes from first teeth, hair, growth, etc.

A month ago after our class we were in a play area just letting our daughter run around and play with other kids while we were talking with other parents and just sitting and watching. A few minutes later we hear off in the distance a mother scold her child. I looked over and she's holding a flash card. The mother seemed angry and very sternly saying "You know this color, it's not Blue, come on you know this." the toddler looked no older than 2. He was quite and looked sad. I felt so bad for the little boy since he looked like he wanted to go play in the same area as my daughter but the mother held him back and kept shoving flash cards in his face. Let the kid be a kid, there's plenty of time for learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='4thHorseman']Congrats! I have one on the way and itll be my first. Tips?[/QUOTE]

My only tip is to enjoy every single second because every day that goes by is a day you can't have back.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Woohoo, finally! Congrats Javery.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It seemed like forever, didn't it?

[quote name='Rodimus']Speaking of every baby is different this goes for their growing too. We go to a "play togther learn togther" class every Saturday and met all types of diffrent parents, we get along with most. But the ones that annoy me are what I'm going to label as the "Competitive Parents." Everything is a damn competition to them, even about things that can't be controlled. This goes from first teeth, hair, growth, etc.[/QUOTE]

I can't stand parents like that. I'm not impressed that some kid can do some arbitrary thing by the time they are some arbitrary age. I actually feel sorry for those kids getting pushed like that. The world is a scary place and life is hard enough - enjoy being a kid as long as you can. I mean, you have to teach them responsibility and all that stuff but everything in moderation...

It feels like it's been at least a year since you said your wife was pregnant again. :lol: I know it hasn't been that long, but man.

Rodimus's story reminds me of how this crazy lady (who has since moved) kept comparing her autistic kid with my friend's baby. It's like, Christ, your kid is autistic, of course he's not going to be as responsive, talkative, etc.

Thanks for the advice guys. Javery, if u dont mind me askin, what name did u decide on? Did u have a name for both genders already picked out?

[quote name='Javery']Thanks guys - this is #3 for me so we are outnumbered now. Not sure if we are going to have any more but we will enjoy this one for sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, now you have to go from man to zone defense. :)

Congrats, Javery!

[quote name='Rodimus']I'll give you the best tip I ever recieved: Every baby is different. What one person tells you is right another will tell you it's wrong. Observe your babies actions, learn from her, use common sense and you'll be perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that. Most of the tips we read/heard didn't work with our baby. We just had to try things little by little and figure out what worked.

We didn't really have a discussion about names until we were in the delivery room. We had a few we liked that were left over from the previous kids so we ended up going with one of those - I really wanted to leave it up to my wife this time.

[quote name='Javery']We didn't really have a discussion about names until we were in the delivery room. We had a few we liked that were left over from the previous kids so we ended up going with one of those - I really wanted to leave it up to my wife this time.[/QUOTE]Let me guess, Zelda? ;)

Don't know how I missed this thread! I'm a gamer dad as well. I have a 9 month old daughter. I never game when she is awake. That is my tip. That time is better spent with her and in 20 years I will remember the time with her way more than a game of COD or MLB the Show!

Congratulations, Javery!

[quote name='WV Matsui']Don't know how I missed this thread! I'm a gamer dad as well. I have a 9 month old daughter. I never game when she is awake. That is my tip. That time is better spent with her and in 20 years I will remember the time with her way more than a game of COD or MLB the Show![/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I did (and still do) the same thing. I limit my play time to after she goes to bed. Never once have I played games while she's awake... and I stayed home with her for the first sixteen months of her life.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Don't know how I missed this thread! I'm a gamer dad as well. I have a 9 month old daughter. I never game when she is awake. That is my tip. That time is better spent with her and in 20 years I will remember the time with her way more than a game of COD or MLB the Show![/QUOTE]

I agree with this while they are infants/babies but man my son and I have had some awesome times playing co-op in the Lego games. We started playing together around when he turned 4 (he will be 5 in July). We can't wait for Lego Batman 2!

Agree. Once they get a little older it's great fun to play video games with them, as long as the time is limited / balanced, yada yada.

My older son's 5th birthday party is Saturday and he's really into Mario et al so the party is pretty much mario themed (Mario cake, plates, balloons, etc) and his gifts are mostly Nintendo related (Mario plushies, a Mario T-shirt, etc).

I'm planning to watch The Wizard with him sometime soon :)

[quote name='WV Matsui']Yes sorry

To clarify until they are able to play along with you is what my statement was referring to!

:)[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, I was pretty sure that's what you meant. They get old faster than you think so you will be playing video games with your 9 month old soon enough!

A bit early for this, but I hope you guys have a great Father's Day weekend!

Mine will be extra special since my son's first birthday is on Sunday too. He has gotten so big and is walking everywhere.

Fathers day we're going to a local comic book store (Tate's Comics) they're doing something special for Father's day. Should be fun.

We're going to my dad's for fathers day. I'm going to barbeque and play with my older daughter in the yard. Only bad thing is that I will meet my dad's girlfriend.

I'm not sure what we are going to do for Father's Day. Probably grill in the backyard or something. I want to go to the shore but the new baby can't be out in the sun so it would suck for my wife to have to stay in the house while the rest of us were on the beach. I'd be willing to take turns staying inside but I can't feed her so....

No idea what we're doing either. My wife asked what I wanted to do and I said "clean out the garage, finally." :p We'll probably go to the neighborhood pool if the weather's nice.

[quote name='encendido5']A bit early for this, but I hope you guys have a great Father's Day weekend!

Mine will be extra special since my son's first birthday is on Sunday too. He has gotten so big and is walking everywhere.[/QUOTE]

My daughter's first birthday was yesterday, too.

We took her out to a park, to dinner, and to ice cream afterward. It was our first time ordering her her own meal instead of just giving her some of ours, and it was her first time eating ice cream. She had fun, and between the busy day yesterday and her birthday party Saturday, she was exhausted—she slept over 12 hours last night!

Started playing Viva Pinata: TiP a couple weeks ago with my son (almost 5 years old). He loves it, and I enjoy playing it with him. It's the first game he's actually wanted to play on the 360.

I ate so much this weekend. With my son's birthday and Father's Day, there was lots of food to be had.

We put a slice of cake in front of my son to see what he would do. He liked squishing it, but did not seem to like the taste of it. We were all surprised since the kids are all over it at other parties we've been to. I guess he's too used the veggies and fruit he's been having :lol:

We are thinking about getting him a wagon for his birthday but wanted to get some ideas. These are the two we are looking at. I wanted to get one with rubber tires, but I can't seem to find one that is also made of plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Ultimate-Comfort-Wagon/dp/B00206PR1E/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Deluxe-Relax-Umbrella/dp/B0033PRKVQ/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_2

I was thinking about getting one of those Radio Flyer wagons for my daughter's birthday but it just isn't pratical for us. I just don't have anywhere to put it. Instead I got her a Radio Flyer trike.

[quote name='encendido5']I ate so much this weekend. With my son's birthday and Father's Day, there was lots of food to be had.

We put a slice of cake in front of my son to see what he would do. He liked squishing it, but did not seem to like the taste of it. We were all surprised since the kids are all over it at other parties we've been to. I guess he's too used the veggies and fruit he's been having :lol:

We are thinking about getting him a wagon for his birthday but wanted to get some ideas. These are the two we are looking at. I wanted to get one with rubber tires, but I can't seem to find one that is also made of plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Ultimate-Comfort-Wagon/dp/B00206PR1E/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Deluxe-Relax-Umbrella/dp/B0033PRKVQ/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_2[/QUOTE]

We have the radio flyer one. Well similar to that one, puts doesn't have the canopy. I think we got it at Target for about $100. My 10 month old daughter loves it. The seats have seat belts and she even liked riding in the floor of it.

Father's Day was fun. We grilled and my wife made her awesome avocado dip (it has feta, tomatoes, craisins and some other stuff in it - so so so good), which I sat there and ate until it was gone. The kids made me a card which was sweet and we just spent the day together. Good times.

I have no experience with the plastic wagons but my mom got this for our daughter for xmas - she is 20 months now. It seems very solid and I like the slightly deeper sides. We Have a decent sized lot that is mostly level but wanted the bigger tires for ease of use. We also wanted something that could function as a materials transport for use around our garden areas. We have a wheel barrow but this is nice too. We keep it in a shed in our backyard when not in use. Seems great so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-B...id=1340058608&sr=1-3&keywords=radio+flyer+atw

Not to take away from the wagon talk but do any of you have trouble with your little one turning your :360: on and off? My 10 month old daughter has learned about the on/off button and will just crawl by and hit the button! Most of the time I am not playing games but we are watching Netflix and bam off it goes! She will sit there and turn it off and on for hours if I let her!

Damn you MS! Haha

[quote name='WV Matsui']Not to take away from the wagon talk but do any of you have trouble with your little one turning your :360: on and off? My 10 month old daughter has learned about the on/off button and will just crawl by and hit the button! Most of the time I am not playing games but we are watching Netflix and bam off it goes! She will sit there and turn it off and on for hours if I let her!

Damn you MS! Haha[/QUOTE]

Try not to use the word "no" too much for this type of behavior. Studies have shown that it's better to say something like "Not for [insert child's name]!" and redirect them from the object that they're not supposed to be touching. Give them lots of other distractions.

Yeah my daughter use to turn it on and off out of curiosity but she's sorta gotten tired of it. What does happen now though is when my wife brushes by our newly upgraded xbox in the bedroom (it's sitting up vertical on a dresser in front of the bed and easy to brush when walking by it) she turns it on or ejects it. Seems those two switches are very sensitive.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Not to take away from the wagon talk but do any of you have trouble with your little one turning your :360: on and off? My 10 month old daughter has learned about the on/off button and will just crawl by and hit the button! Most of the time I am not playing games but we are watching Netflix and bam off it goes! She will sit there and turn it off and on for hours if I let her!

Damn you MS! Haha[/QUOTE]

This was an issue at some point with a few of my electronics, but she grew out of it. She's learned she's not supposed to touch the TV and stuff around the TV, even the remotes. Either myself or my wife would say something like "That's not for you, that's dada's" So now when she get's the inkling to touch something she's not supposed to she'll stop herself point at it and say "dada's".

Can you put your XBOX in an unreachable area or block it off with furniture?

[quote name='shieryda']Try not to use the word "no" too much for this type of behavior. Studies have shown that it's better to say something like "Not for [insert child's name]!" and redirect them from the object that they're not supposed to be touching. Give them lots of other distractions.[/QUOTE]

This was our philosophy too, but it was still difficult not to use the "no" word. It's just comes out so naturally especially when they're 1 second away from doing something they're not supposed to.

My wife and I have been trying to have a baby for the last year or so without any luck. We started the infertility tests a month ago and we're getting ready to start taking fertility pills. Apparently there is an increased chance of twins but no chance or triplets according to the doc. Anyone hesse have some experience with infertility?

It took us a year for our first, and it turned out that right before we started trying my wife had gotten a viral infection that attacked her thyroid and screwed up her hormones, and it took almost a year to get them back on track. I also have a friend who has two kids (not twins) through in-vitro fertilization.

Sometimes it's tough, but I'm sure you'll find a way. Good luck!

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']My wife and I have been trying to have a baby for the last year or so without any luck. We started the infertility tests a month ago and we're getting ready to start taking fertility pills. Apparently there is an increased chance of twins but no chance or triplets according to the doc. Anyone hesse have some experience with infertility?[/QUOTE]

I've gone from IVF in 2003-2004 to a vasectomy in 2012. What do you want to know?

[quote name='eldergamer']I've gone from IVF in 2003-2004 to a vasectomy in 2012. What do you want to know?[/QUOTE]

I remember your thread on that. We're not up to IVF yet, going to try the pills first. It's a little frustrating because they just classify you as 'unknown infertility' which makes up about 50% of the cases. Neither of us have any medical problems so I'm hoping we won't have to move to IVF.

How many cycles of that did you go through before it worked?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I remember your thread on that. We're not up to IVF yet, going to try the pills first. It's a little frustrating because they just classify you as 'unknown infertility' which makes up about 50% of the cases. Neither of us have any medical problems so I'm hoping we won't have to move to IVF.

How many cycles of that did you go through before it worked?[/QUOTE]

We got lucky and it worked the first cycle. They were giving my wife shots to stimulate egg production. Harvested a few eggs, ultra centrifuged my sperm and put them together.

Good luck Mr Unoriginal! It took us about a year to get pregnant, but we didn't have to go through fertility treatments.

Here are some pics of the baby's nursery. We didn't know if the baby was a boy or a girl, so we went with a neutral theme. It took us a couple of days to get the painting done, and those hills were a pain to paint, but we're happy with them. We still haven't put curtains up yet either.

7509612134_44d0a07fca_c.jpg

7509612546_f0b20daea4_c.jpg

7509612368_17bdba51ac_c.jpg

Nice! We went with the exact same color scheme and theme (jungle animals) for our first boy's room. We didn't have that sweet paint job, though.

Are those animals and plants wall decals? If not, crazy painting job! And aso, you're crazy for not using wall decals :) I encourage anyone decorating a kid's room to get some. They are pretty cheap and look really cool (and come in all kinds of variety, not just animals, of course).

[quote name='Backlash']Nice! We went with the exact same color scheme and theme (jungle animals) for our first boy's room. We didn't have that sweet paint job, though.

Are those animals and plants wall decals? If not, crazy painting job! And aso, you're crazy for not using wall decals :) I encourage anyone decorating a kid's room to get some. They are pretty cheap and look really cool (and come in all kinds of variety, not just animals, of course).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Ha, they are all decals. I'm not that talented :) The tree and monkeys are nice because they blend into the wall and they actually look like they've been painted. The other ones are glossy and we keep having to push the corners back in.

bread's done
Back