GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Oh well :( I was hoping for a complete pack sale, but it doesn't look likely. I just picked up a boxed copy for $4.20 which is actually steam activated, but was going to return it if this went on sale.[/QUOTE]

Okay now I am curious, where are they selling these mysterious Steam activated retail boxed Paradox games? Half Price books?

[quote name='Motoki']Okay now I am curious, where are they selling these mysterious Steam activated retail boxed Paradox games? Half Price books?[/QUOTE]

Yessir :)

With the coupon today it is 40% off of $7. The Sunday coupon is 50% off one item (but I won't be near a HPB Sunday). I didn't check to see if the other Paradox games were also Steam, but Ship Simulator Extreme had the Steam logo on the front of the box.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yessir :)

With the coupon today it is 40% off of $7. The Sunday coupon is 50% off one item (but I won't be near a HPB Sunday). I didn't check to see if the other Paradox games were also Steam, but Ship Simulator Extreme had the Steam logo on the front of the box.[/QUOTE]

There's one down the street from me so I should probably head down there. I've bought some casual games there before like Chocolatier and Dogz :lol: but it didn't occur to me that some of that stuff would activate on Steam.

[quote name='Motoki']There's one down the street from me so I should probably head down there. I've bought some casual games there before like Chocolatier and Dogz :lol: but it didn't occur to me that some of that stuff would activate on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they should have a newish shipment of PC games in since both I went to did and had pretty much the same stuff. You have to dig around to find any steamworks stuff but there is some (and obviously just buy it if it is new since losers sell back steam redeemed games to them). They had a ton of cool casual stuff, but I passed since I just bought a big 20 Game Legends of Terror casual game collection. Check the clearance too since on occasion they clearance out some of the casual stuff or simulator stuff.

They actually had new copies of Agricultural Simulator 2011 for 6.99, but that's still too rich for my blood.

according to the gg newsletter the rest of the week's dailies are as follows

• Magicka series - Save 75% on Thursday
  • Majesty series - Save 75% on Friday
  • Europa Universalis series - Save 75% on Saturday
  • Mount & Blade series - Save 75% on Sunday

Gamersgate Summer Sale 2012 is on for the next four weeks - this week is RPG week. Current daily deals:

Silverfall: Complete Collection - $6.25
Elven Legacy Collection - $3.75
Two Worlds GOTY - $2.50
Titan Quest Gold Edition - $3.99

Update the OP.

[quote name='seamoss']Gamersgate Summer Sale 2012 is on for the next four weeks - this week is RPG week. Current daily deals:

Silverfall: Complete Collection - $6.25
Elven Legacy Collection - $3.75
Two Worlds GOTY - $2.50
Titan Quest Gold Edition - $3.99

Update the OP.[/QUOTE]

Awesome (well that there is a summer sale)! Nothing for me this week, but I have some blue coins burning through my pocket and am sure something worth my coins will pop up this month.

I have been absolutely swamped for the past two weeks. A big thanks to TripJack for taking the time to keep the thread updated. Going through and updating for the Summer Sale now. :) I will most likely wikify this thread in the future if I can't keep up with it again.

[quote name='seamoss']Update the OP.[/QUOTE]
Wow. Yes, Master. :drool:

I've wanted Titan Quest Gold for a while. Will this activate on Steam? I didn't see it listed in the forum post list...but I thought "maybe" since Steam has the game available too.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']
[quote name='seamoss']
Update the OP.
[/QUOTE]
Wow. Yes, Master. :drool:[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Sorry, I really meant to add a "please" in there! Thanks for keeping the thread updated (did not want to start a new thread for this).

[quote name='DarthVicious82']I've wanted Titan Quest Gold for a while. Will this activate on Steam? I didn't see it listed in the forum post list...but I thought "maybe" since Steam has the game available too.[/QUOTE]
Just picked it up with Blue Coins and it does not.

[quote name='seamoss']Hahaha! Sorry, I really meant to add a "please" in there! Thanks for keeping the thread updated (did not want to start a new thread for this).[/QUOTE]
Haha, I figured as much. You've been helpful in here too and I appreciate it.

For those of you unfamiliar with GG sales, daily deals join the regular sale (at an albeit lesser discount) after they're daily deals. Unlike Steam, you don't have to worry about buying a game and it going for cheaper later on in the sale.

On the off chance that this changes for the Summer Sale, there's always the 14 day any reason refund policy.

4 weeks of discounts? My bank account is going to loathe me.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']A big thanks to TripJack for taking the time to keep the thread updated[/QUOTE]
No problem, glad to see that you're back in action ;)

As long as they do not have a buy 2 get 1 free, or something like that, I can usually fight the urge. :)

But that 1C complete is something I always check. Kicking myself for missing that sale... twice...

Was thinking about picking up Two worlds game of the year edition. Whats the difference between that and the Epic edition on Steam, and does it activate on steam?

:lol: It is rather odd that CK2 and Battlefield 3 are included in the RPG week discounts. Standards for RPGs are falling all the time I guess.

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']Was thinking about picking up Two worlds game of the year edition. Whats the difference between that and the Epic edition on Steam, and does it activate on steam?[/QUOTE]

No difference, same game with a different name as far as I know

As far as steam-activatable, here is as general rule for everyone who ask here a thousand times. Assume NO unless explictedly state in the game or Steam Retail-FAQ. If you want the Steam version, buy the Steam version.

Gamersgate is really good about indicating whether a game activates on steam in the description/specs/drm section, so if it does not mention Steam there chances are it will not activate on steam.

[quote name='TripJack']why? gog is a scam[/QUOTE]It's just as scam as Steam , GamersGate or any other DD service .

[quote name='TripJack']why? gog is a scam[/QUOTE]

Please explain. I know that gog doesn't discount games like Steam or GG but to call them a "scam" is too harsh.

Perhaps scam is not the right word, I don't know. But most of the actually old games on gog were made by development companies that no longer exist, ok? So when you buy one of these games the money *usually* goes to 2 groups: 1) the pollacks running gog who do nothing more than slap a nocd crack on the games and pack them up with dosbox or whatever in a fancy installer, and 2) whatever giant publishing company (EA, Atari, Vivendi or whoever) happened to gain ownership of the IP when the developers went out of business.

I say screw that, and screw them. This is the last I'll say on the matter, I'll be quiet now.

[quote name='TripJack'] I'll be quiet now.[/QUOTE]Excellent choice .

I'm pretty sure this is our first thread de-rail. Good work, everyone! :grouphug:

Anyway... Yeah, GG is sometimes a bit odd with their genres. Orcs Must Die 2 is tower defense/third person combat, but whatever. It's easily the cheapest it's been so far with the 10% off, IGN discount, and 2 pack. Feel free to do group buys here.

[quote name='TripJack']Perhaps scam is not the right word, I don't know. But most of the actually old games on gog were made by development companies that no longer exist, ok? So when you buy one of these games the money *usually* goes to 2 groups: 1) the pollacks running gog who do nothing more than slap a nocd crack on the games and pack them up with dosbox or whatever in a fancy installer, and 2) whatever giant publishing company (EA, Atari, Vivendi or whoever) happened to gain ownership of the IP when the developers went out of business.

I say screw that, and screw them. This is the last I'll say on the matter, I'll be quiet now.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure why you single out GOG when...

1) Most online distributors don't even bother to update compatibility of older games, or really do anything with the games except take their cut.

2) Even with new games, the majority of the time all the revenue goes to the publisher, not the developer, who may get a bonus if the game reaches so much in sales or hits a certain Metacritic score, but that's it.

GOG is very developer friendly, seeing as it's run by a developer. For example, when Stainless Software announced their Kickstarter for a new Carmageddon game, GOG offered backers the original game for free:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/carmageddon_max_pack

GOG also treats its customers well. There's their no-DRM stance, which has restricted the games they can offer but they don't waver from. Also, when Botanicula was in a Humble Bundle on the day of its launch, GOG gave the people that pre-ordered it on their site a bunch of bonuses to compensate:
http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_gift_to_botanicula_owners

Anyway, here's today's games:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - 69% off - $19.98
Unepic - 75% off - $3.08
RIFT - 70% off - $4.99
3 Stars of Destiny - 70% off - $5.99

And the hint for tomorrow's games:
The deals of tomorrow will bring you the story of Random and Sarah in a beautiful RPG world, let you, a royal treasure hunter, mobilize your forces for tactical battles in a fantasy world and take you on epic quests in the games from Piranha Bytes.

Unepic is in the current Indie Royale bundle:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306745

Odd, the prices are the same but the percentages are off. I got 50% off for Witcher 2 not 69% off

Anyway here are the links:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - 50% off - $19.98
Unepic - 69% off - $3.08
RIFT - 75% off - $4.99
3 Stars of Destiny - 70% off - $5.99

Deals today are Meh...Though given the hint for tomorrow's deals "a royal treasure hunter, mobilize your forces for tactical battles in a fantasy world and take you on epic quests in the games from Piranha Bytes."
It's probably King's Bounty Franchise .

[quote name='voken']Deals today are Meh...Though given the hint for tomorrow's deals "a royal treasure hunter, mobilize your forces for tactical battles in a fantasy world and take you on epic quests in the games from Piranha Bytes."
It's probably King's Bounty Franchise .[/QUOTE]
I agree it's King's Bounty, but the Piranha Bytes part is a separate hint. They make the Gothic and Risen series. I'm inclined to think it's Risen because I've never seen them make a deeper discount on a game already in the sale and Gothic is.

If it's Risen 2 be prepared to be disappointed with 33% or something meh like that. If you're really lucky it might go 50% tops but I don't see it going more than that right now.

As for Risen 1, it's already free on Gamersgate VOID and the ads really aren't that bad but I guess there are some regions that don't have access to VOID yet.

Anyway, I know it's an RPG Maker-ish game and probably won't draw a big crowd here, but anyone have any opinions on 3 Stars of Destiny?

[quote name='Motoki']...Anyway, I know it's an RPG Maker-ish game and probably won't draw a big crowd here, but anyone have any opinions on 3 Stars of Destiny?[/QUOTE]

If you're a member at BigFishGames, you should probably just wait for it to hit the $2.99 daily deal. (Play the 1-hr trial and notice the 5-star user rating there. The same as Coconut Queen, so it must be good.)

It's also the prequel to the LaxiusForce games, generally considered some of the best of the RPG-Maker offerings.
...and on sale tomorrow at GG

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhg. i bought the Gothic "complete" pack and today they put the Gothic Complete + Arcania collection on sale. Jerks. Looks like I'll have to find a way to unload my Gothic "not-quite-so-complete" pack.

So tomorrow will be Deus Ex: Human Revolution, BioShock, and Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. I have been kicking myself for not getting Deus Ex Collection from GG last time it was on sale and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they discount it this time.

[quote name='DarthVicious82']Uhg. i bought the Gothic "complete" pack and today they put the Gothic Complete + Arcania collection on sale. Jerks. Looks like I'll have to find a way to unload my Gothic "not-quite-so-complete" pack.[/QUOTE]
My apologies for thinking it would be Risen from the hints. I did not see that the Complete + Arcania pack wasn't on sale yet.

Did you download it or use the CD keys already? If not, you can buy the Complete + Arcania and request a refund for the regular Complete you already bought. Even if that's not the case, they're good about this stuff and it wouldn't hurt to at least contact them about the situation and let them know.

And FWIW, it's a $1.23 difference to buy Arcania in addition to the regular Complete pack.

Dark Souls looks to be cheapest at GG currently with the effective price of $28.27 (~30% off) if you have the IGN Prime discount. You have to pay $33.96 but get $5.69 (15%) in blue coins to spend on another game which isn't so bad since there is a sale for 3.5 more weeks.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Did you download it or use the CD keys already? If not, you can buy the Complete + Arcania and request a refund for the regular Complete you already bought.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have done this now. Worst case scenario is that I gift it to my brother...but since I'm well within 14 days and I haven't downloaded or revealed any keys I should be able to get a refund without much fuss. Thanks for reminding me that GG is good about stuff like this.

Can someone list off the common game download sites I could swear I bought the various gothics before but I had a hard drive crash yesterday so I can't check. I know it wasn't steam, gog, gamersgate, or amazon

[quote name='sweeetja713']Can someone list off the common game download sites I could swear I bought the various gothics before but I had a hard drive crash yesterday so I can't check. I know it wasn't steam, gog, gamersgate, or amazon[/QUOTE]

Gamefly (formerly Direct2Drive), Gamestop (formerly Impulse), Steam, gog, gamersgate, and amazon.

[quote name='DarthVicious82']Thanks. I have done this now. Worst case scenario is that I gift it to my brother...but since I'm well within 14 days and I haven't downloaded or revealed any keys I should be able to get a refund without much fuss. Thanks for reminding me that GG is good about stuff like this.[/QUOTE]
A similar situation is what originally made me a loyal GG customer. I had purchased the Cryostasis + Necrovision pack, and shortly after they put the 2C Complete Pack on sale which included both games. I bought that and they refunded me my original purchase. What other digital distributor would do that?

[quote name='sweeetja713']Well found x-com on gamefly so that's nice, no gothics on any of them though so I think I'll bite.[/QUOTE]
Just a head's up if you used Direct2Drive in the past... Go to GameFly's site, "My Account" in the top right, "Purchase History" in the bottom left of that, then the "D2D Downloads" tab. That may have games that you bought on D2D but are not yet available on GameFly.

[quote name='TripJack']Perhaps scam is not the right word, I don't know. But most of the actually old games on gog were made by development companies that no longer exist, ok? So when you buy one of these games the money *usually* goes to 2 groups: 1) the pollacks running gog who do nothing more than slap a nocd crack on the games and pack them up with dosbox or whatever in a fancy installer, and 2) whatever giant publishing company (EA, Atari, Vivendi or whoever) happened to gain ownership of the IP when the developers went out of business.

I say screw that, and screw them. This is the last I'll say on the matter, I'll be quiet now.[/QUOTE]

So what? Most of the times the IP belongs to the publisher so they get the profits. The developers got payed years ago by the publisher when the game went gold. ALL the other stores do the same, except that GOG repackages some of the games with emulators and/or compatibility fixes to make them work on modern computers.

[quote name='Daykain']Dark Souls looks to be cheapest at GG currently with the effective price of $28.27 (~30% off) if you have the IGN Prime discount. You have to pay $33.96 but get $5.69 (15%) in blue coins to spend on another game which isn't so bad since there is a sale for 3.5 more weeks.[/QUOTE]
Oh snap, I missed this somehow and it looks expired now. Too bad I didn't get it posted. Thanks for the head's up, though.

“The deals of tomorrow makes you head of security of Sarif Industries in a future battle between multinational corporations, let's you venture far below to the city of Rapture and puts your haggling skills to the test in a Japanese RPG item shop.”

Unless Dark Messiah Might & Magic or Warlock Master of the Arcane takes place in Rapture, GamersGate clearly changed their planned daily deals. My guess is because BioShock is already part of another sale and they don't want to upset people. Kudos to them.

EDIT: They silently added BioShock 1/2 to the Summer Sale at the same price as in their 2k sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back