Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='malethief']That's a great price for red faction. I wonder how lively the pc multiplayer servers are[/QUOTE]

I just finished playing through this again (honestly, one of my favorite in yeras). I just checked the online servers, and couldn't find a match. Another game with a character named A. Mason seems to have pulled everyone away.

For Today, Deal is Saints Row 2 PC for $5.99. A non-GFW/GFWL title whose retail CD-key is usually registrable on Steam, I kinda doubt this one is, but who knows?

[quote name='pROvIs']Hasn't Saint's row been down to 2-3 bucks on steam before? I heard its a horrible port[/QUOTE]
It's been down around the $7.50 range. [EDIT: Saints Row 2 was $7.49 during the Summer Sale.] However, there are eBay auctions offering the game for about $5. (Plus, you can Activate the retail Saints Row 2 on Steam.)

As for the bugs and whatnot, IdolNinja has made an excellent mod, Gentlemen of the Row, which fixes the issues with the game.

I have the PC version, but I played through the PS3 one, as well. I can say that IdolNinja has definitely fixed the the PC port of Saints Row 2. Now, the PC version matches its console counterparts, and IdolNinja has even added plenty of new content to make it, in some ways, better than the other versions.

I say, at $5 or less, Saints Row 2 is certainly worth the price. (Maybe even $5.99, but I still vote to grab a $5 or less one off of eBay.)

[quote name='loomis1975']For Today, Deal is Saints Row 2 PC for $5.99. A non-GFW/GFWL title whose retail CD-key is usually registrable on Steam, I kinda doubt this one is, but who knows?[/QUOTE]

Also if you really want a steam version you could always buy this from D2D and have them price match this price

Picked up SR2 PC a few years back on clearance at Target for about $8. I think it's an underrated gem. It ran just fine on my machine and I rarely encountered any bugs or glitches. The missions were interesting and you could skip the optional stuff that you sucked at (for me, that was the demolition derbies). The character and gang customization features were great. I actually finished this game which is more than I can say for any of the recent GTA games, where I always found myself getting stuck on a story mission that I found impossible to finish because I lacked the manual dexterity to drive a motorcycle or helicopter well enough to complete.

[quote name='warreni']Picked up SR2 PC a few years back on clearance at Target for about $8. I think it's an underrated gem. It ran just fine on my machine and I rarely encountered any bugs or glitches. The missions were interesting and you could skip the optional stuff that you sucked at (for me, that was the demolition derbies). The character and gang customization features were great. I actually finished this game which is more than I can say for any of the recent GTA games, where I always found myself getting stuck on a story mission that I found impossible to finish because I lacked the manual dexterity to drive a motorcycle or helicopter well enough to complete.[/QUOTE]
If anyone figures out if this has steam activation I will probably bite. If anyone has bought it let us know.

[quote name='pROvIs']If anyone figures out if this has steam activation I will probably bite. If anyone has bought it let us know.[/QUOTE]

Well, the retail key works with Steam. I'm not sure about GfW, though. It's not a LIVE title, so I would think so, but obviously I can't say for sure.

Games for Windows Live has been having a lot more sales lately. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. The more competition the better.

Just imagine if the consoles were open competition (not closed platforms), Microsoft would be having similar sales.

[quote name='pROvIs']If anyone figures out if this has steam activation I will probably bite. If anyone has bought it let us know.[/QUOTE]

The game uses Steam for DRM so, it should have steam activation right?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']The game uses Steam for DRM so, it has should have steam activation right?[/QUOTE]

Depends. If the GFW download version does indeed use Steamworks as its method of DRM, then yes. That may only be applicable to non-DD versions, though.

I guess you can't use this one I have extra ms points and just used some. I tried to activate the key and it's invalid in Steam. Oh well, now I have two games on games for windows marketplace.

[quote name='Zin_LG']Good price but already have it. I hope Gears of War goes on sale next.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Grabbed Bioshock from Steam for $5 a couple weeks ago, too late for this deal. I keep waiting for GoW to go 75% off, maybe I'll get my wish tomorrow.

Bioshock doesn't use Steam by default, so you can't register this on Steam.

That said, I've had no problems with GfWL at all, and no problems with Bioshock on either XP-32bit or 7-64bit. I recommend both without reservation. If you haven't played it yet, you really owe it to yourself to get this.

Does anyone know if it's possible to "gift" a game or otherwise buy something for someone else's account using GFWL? The only mention I've seen anywhere is "just buy them some MS points and have them buy the game". Well, that kind of defeats the purpose of buying someone a birthday or xmas gift, ya know?

Anyone who doesn't own Bioshock would be a fool not to get it for $1.99. This is cheaper than a Blizzard at DQ. I wonder sometimes if these sales aren't getting ridiculous, but hey, who am I to question it? Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately I guess?), I already own this game. I got the CE for a lot more than $2, but I did also get a cool Big Daddy pewter figure. And I ESSENTIALLY rebought it when I got Bioshock 2 with Bioshock 1 bundled as part of a 4-people Steambuy deal.

The lowest I can remember Bioshock going for on Steam was $4.99 (during the Holiday sale last year). I thought it hit that price again during the Perils of Summer sale, but I could be wrong about that. I also saw it on D2D for $4.99 last year during the $5 for 5 years anniversary sale and then again during the Christmas sale.

At $5, it was a great deal. At $2, it's a ridiculous one if you don't have it.

If Microsoft puts a game that is truly exclusive to Games for Windows Live (like Gears of War), I'd probably get it if the deal was in the $2-5 range. But these recent sales seem to be about getting people to buy games they'd normally buy from Steam and/or D2D. Witness FEAR 2 on GfWL for example. I had never even heard of FEAR2 coming without Steamworks until they put it on sale for an obscenely low price.

Launch up the Games For WIndows Live marketplace and snag AoE III Complete Edition (comes with expansions) for 10 cents OR 10 MSP (it's inconsistent but it's what they're doing). Might be an error, so I'd hurry the hell up if I were you.

It will ONLY show up on the client by the way.

I got it myself. Now Im stuck at a wierd "390 points" but it's worth it.

[quote name='ryanhaggan']Frig, was just about to post it...

could somebody say SD > CAG??? -- Not me... not me...[/QUOTE]
Ah was this on SD? I had no idea, a friend on a Steam chatroom told me, I checked, got it, and went here immediately.

lol just got this. Have never opened up the client til now. Worked fine. No issues. 10 cents. lol...kind of disturbing. BUT who cares. Made sure to delete my credit card info from the client. No more purchases and no messing with me. Thanks OP.

[quote name='SideSwiped']This have achievements lol?[/QUOTE]
Nah, it uses the GFWL client to distribute the game but it's just a GFW game; no achievements.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of how to do this? I am assuming the client is something you have to download and if so where from?
Thanks

Bought. This and Bioshock, finally get to play that one too. GFW Client earned a permanent spot on my HDD with AoE Online.

I had exactly 10 MSP that have been sitting in my account for like 2 years. Finally something to spend it on.

The deal doesn't show up on the GFWL website you have to run the actual GFWL client and then download it.

Edit: I wrong.

Downloaded the client - it was on there.

However, do your points not share between GFWL and 360?

I have $20 worth of points on my 360, but showing a 0 balance on GFWL.
Unless it just takes time to update.

I hope they don't fix this before I can login to GFWL. Stupid thing doing all these updates.

EDIT: Woot! Still at 10 Points after finally getting logged into the client.

bread's done
Back