Gamestop PS2 Rumor Sale

Going to check another GS while I drop my brother off for Confirmation Class.

EDIT: Went, didn't find any. My quest for Metal Arms did not go well. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants me to, I could make a 5/$1 PS2 trading thread in the deal/shopping discussion section(that a mod would likely move to the master trade list section later on) so that those who missed out on X or Y game could put up a post requesting those games.

EDIT: Alright. For as much as I said I wasn't gonna help out round here when I came back from my two week hiatus, here's the PS2 game trading thread for this sale(currently located in Deals/Shopping Discussion).

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10014045#post10014045

Thanks OP. I was just a little curious of what my local store would have today. I figured I'd find 5 games that I wanted. I ended up buying 80 games total. I pretty much just bought 1 of each .99 cent game that wasn't scratched. That's the first time I've ever bought 80 games for less than $16.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wasn't that the one where they tried making it so you had more than one row of buildings to annihilate on each level? As it stands, I also have the Arcade Party Pak from PS1 which has Rampage, Klax and some other games on it. I think I only ever really played those two games out of all of them though.:lol:

I saw and left behind Silent Scope 2 at another GS the other day. That too is also a $.99 game. I also saw some Lego Soccer Mania game, but that was a $1.99 title.[/QUOTE]

Yup! That's the one!:D

Does anyone know what the sale is tommorow? I dropped by after seeing loopers today and the manager said to come back tommorow, no wink, nod or shhh motions. I asked if it would include the cased games but he said no and all I could get out of him was that the salel will be better tommorow.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Yup! That's the one!:D[/QUOTE]
I kinda wanted to try that game out, but not at the current $5-6 I think it's listed at on the GS website. Maybe the next time I'm able to get an eRewards gift card I'll splurge and grab that, Midway Arcade Treasures(original one with the old Rampage) and the Aqua Teen Hunger Force golf game.:D

[quote name='stiner']Does anyone know what the sale is tommorow? I dropped by after seeing loopers today and the manager said to come back tommorow, no wink, nod or shhh motions. I asked if it would include the cased games but he said no and all I could get out of him was that the salel will be better tommorow.[/QUOTE]

i know one of the sales is 10 ps2 games marked at 99 or less for a dollar.

[quote name='neuroticomic']i know one of the sales is 10 ps2 games marked at 99 or less for a dollar.[/QUOTE]
:bomb: I wonder if I'm within 7 days cuz then I'll return the 10 I grabbed last week and rebuy for $1 instead of $2. :lol:;)

[quote name='neuroticomic']i know one of the sales is 10 ps2 games marked at 99 or less for a dollar.[/QUOTE]
Damn. Looks like I am gonna have to raid that place dry. I got 90% of what I want already.

Best Buy still has the 100% bonus trade in a well.

[quote name='burritoman']Damn. Looks like I am gonna have to raid that place dry. I got 90% of what I want already.

Best Buy still has the 100% bonus trade in a well.[/QUOTE]

Have fun getting the ban hammer over trading in Ps2 games for 50 cents a popl

:lol: I actually thought about that too, but only if the TIV on each PS2 title was still $1 like it used to be. That'd be funny as hell taking in 100-200 unique titles and getting $2.10 each for them after paying $.10 a pop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:bomb: I wonder if I'm within 7 days cuz then I'll return the 10 I grabbed last week and rebuy for $1 instead of $2. :lol:;)[/QUOTE]

i'll b doing that.
:)

These are the highest valued PS2 game TIVs at BB(all base value):

Battle Engine Aquila-$1
EyeToy AntiGrav-$1
Final Fantasy XI-$1
The Dog Island-$0.50

That 10 for 99cents should be interesting if I can, actually, find more GSs that sell PS2 games.

A buy 3 get 3 and/or lowering the PS2 game prices could be cool, as well. They have some games I want to add to my stash, but not at some of their prices for disc only.

I was kind of shocked to see that everything below the $9.99 threshold wasn't gutted and disc only at that closest GS the other night. That's about the only way I would buy the MAT game is if it's actually complete and in decent shape.

Oh god, are they really thinking of adding more deals to the PS2 sale?

Don't tempt me guys, I have way too many games I still need to test out from last week, and that's on top of the ones I'm still waiting to get shipped here.

Geez, if the sale for 5/$1 for 99 cent PS2 games becomes 10/$1, I'll have to return and rebuy the ones I just bought recently. I still haven't had time to test all my games, yet.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:bomb: I wonder if I'm within 7 days cuz then I'll return the 10 I grabbed last week and rebuy for $1 instead of $2. :lol:;)[/QUOTE]

I dug up my receipt from Friday and I had 10 $0.99 games purchased that day as well. Taking them back and buying them back to get a dollar back in credit is tempting to say the least...

Then knowing me, I'll probably end up using that dollar saved to raid the rest of their collection.

Damn. I bought 80 games today. I don't think I'm going to make the GS employee ring up my 80 games again just to give me $8 back.

Is there any way they can adjust my price without having to ring everything up again?

Welp looks like I will be buying out the rest of the games for PS2 and taking them to the local boys and girls club down the street. Pretty nice tax write off.

[quote name='juanawoman']Thinking about getting Shadow of Destiny and Steambot Chronicles. Good games?[/QUOTE]

Steambot Chronicles is pretty good. I think it is a Level-5 game?

[quote name='iast']I dug up my receipt from Friday and I had 10 $0.99 games purchased that day as well. Taking them back and buying them back to get a dollar back in credit is tempting to say the least...

Then knowing me, I'll probably end up using that dollar saved to raid the rest of their collection.[/QUOTE]
I probably won't waste my time going back for the $1.06, since the local GS stores had squat left that I would even consider for 10/$1 for the most part.

I went to a store today for the b2g2 but not much left at all.. Pricing was inconsistent between same copies of the game, you could tell that store didn't keep up with the prices. I went in not knowning what exactly I wanted and what exactly they had.. came up with nothing much really..

Stuntman $.89
Shaolin Monks $4.99 (not on the sale but I wanted the game regardless)

Interesting enough when I was looking for shaolin monks (website said they had it GUARANTEED), I couldn't find it on the shelf.. I asked the rep as a shot in the dark and he replied with "We might actually, we got a ton of games that aren't on the shelf just because we don't have the space for them. So yeah, if you know what games you want you're probably better off just asking us because a lot them aren't on display. You'd be doing us a favor getting rid of these guys."

I should of brought a list of games had I known the pricing inconsistencies and having 1/3 of their inventory NOT on display... Preparing myself next time just incase another one of these sales pop up. Lesson learned.

[quote name='jam86']I went to a store today for the b2g2 but not much left at all.. Pricing was inconsistent between same copies of the game, you could tell that store didn't keep up with the prices. I went in not knowning what exactly I wanted and what exactly they had.. came up with nothing much really..

Stuntman $.89
Shaolin Monks $4.99 (not on the sale but I wanted the game regardless)

Interesting enough when I was looking for shaolin monks (website said they had it GUARANTEED), I couldn't find it on the shelf.. I asked the rep as a shot in the dark and he replied with "We might actually, we got a ton of games that aren't on the shelf just because we don't have the space for them. So yeah, if you know what games you want you're probably better off just asking us because a lot them aren't on display. You'd be doing us a favor getting rid of these guys."

I should of brought a list of games had I known the pricing inconsistencies and having 1/3 of their inventory NOT on display... Preparing myself next time just incase another one of these sales pop up. Lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

you can have them print of list of all the games they have in stock by price.
for example, at one of the stores, i had them print just the 99 cent games they had.
it tells how many of each copy they have as well.

i just checked off the ones i wanted, handed him back the printout and he snagged em.

If this 10 for $1 deal is true. I have a feeling I may take my receipts in for the 40 games I bought and get back $4 to respend it on 40 more games (if I can find anymore).

[quote name='neuroticomic']you can have them print of list of all the games they have in stock by price.
for example, at one of the stores, i had them print just the 99 cent games they had.

i just checked off the ones i wanted, handed him back the printout and he snagged em.[/QUOTE]

I never even thought of doing that, and if I go back I'm definitely going to give that a shot. I'd much rather do it that way than to go through their website and clicking on individual titles in the hope that the closest store shows having it in stock.

Has Gamestop EVER done a 10 for $1 deal??? This is going to get crazy if it's true. Anyone know how plausible a sale like this is? Sources for the rumor? Sorry for all the speculative questions?

[quote name='Monoxide1986']If this 10 for $1 deal is true. I have a feeling I may take my receipts in for the 40 games I bought and get back $4 to respend it on 40 more games (if I can find anymore).[/QUOTE]

you'd get 8 back.
if you bought the 5 for a buck ones.
80 games! lol 60 of em, sports!

[quote name='Stuffed']Has Gamestop EVER done a 10 for $1 deal??? This is going to get crazy if it's true. Anyone know how plausible a sale like this is? Sources for the rumor? Sorry for all the speculative questions?[/QUOTE]

i dont have a linked source, just one of the workers said the 5 for 1 deal was getting doubled. was she lying? i will find out monday morning! lol

[quote name='neuroticomic']you can have them print of list of all the games they have in stock by price.

i just checked off the ones i wanted, handed him back the printout and he snagged em.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

VERY solid advice, I wouldn't of even thought about that. Definitely something to do, eitherway making a list would help me choose the store to go to (I have about 4 stores close to my house and about 3 close to my work). I want to make sure I improve my chances of getting the games I want rather than "settle" just for the sake of buying something.

[quote name='neuroticomic']you'd get 8 back.
if you bought the 5 for a buck ones.
80 games! lol 60 of em, sports![/QUOTE]

Actually, 4 back.. I spent 8 and if I rebuy the games I already have it would be $4 for the 40 games.

And on the games, all of the ones I have picked up so far, not a single one has been a sports game. I asked them to print a list of all ps2 games in stock so I was able to easily find the ones I wanted. If I respend the $4 I might get back, I will probably get some sports games. But my second run through of the list hasn't been too many sports still.

Haha I guess we ALL will! Its strange how worked up I find myself getting in anticipation, I guess it makes sense seeing how much energy we put into these cheap deals.

Anyways, here's my haul. Ended up making a full on Excel chart with prices and locations and ranking the games 1-5 for how much I wanted them. Because of that I went to 6 different Gamestops in the Los Angeles area (2 of them twice).

5 For $1:
Amplitude
Aqua Aqua
Armored Core: Silent Line
Choro Q
Crimson Tears
Fantavision
Frequency
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
GoDai
Gran Turismo 3
Herdy Gerdy
Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward
Mad Maestro
MDK 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Naruto Ultimate Ninja
Okage
Portal Runner
Project Eden
Robotech
Run Like Hell
Space Channel 5
Stuntman
Taito Legends
X Squad

B2G2:
Alter Echo
Arc the Lad: Twilight
Armored Core 2: Another Age
Bajingai
Bombastic
Chulip
Devil May Cry
Disaster Report
Gungrave
Haven: Call of the King
Mark of Kri
Maximo vs Army of Zin
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Primal
Red Star
Sky Gunner
SLAI Steel Lancer Arena Intl
Sly Cooper
Stretch Panic
Tokobots

Total: 45 games for about 40 bucks. Kind of regret getting so many B2G2 games, it was probably 60/40 games I wanted/games I just threw in there to fill out the order.

Luckily I only had five or six games not work and was able to trade some of them in for good copies.

Oh and in my search I also stumbled upon Gitaroo Man!

Last edited by a moderator:
10 for 1 ? !!!!!!! If this is true than please let this happen before the 6th cause thats when that bestbuy 100% promo ends. and to think i just brought at shit load of 99 cent games today with plenty more for me to buy in my area !

Sidenote: Anyone know how to get PS2 games to look decent on an HD TV? Would component cables do any good or should I just try to find an old fatty tube to play on?

[quote name='strait edge follower']10 for 1 ? !!!!!!! If this is true than please let this happen before the 6th cause thats when that bestbuy 100% promo ends. and to think i just brought at shit load of 99 cent games today with plenty more for me to buy in my area ![/QUOTE]

I'm confused on this... Are you trading the games into Bestbuy? If so.. as far as I can tell, all ps2 games trade in for .25 a pop. So with 100% bonus that would be .51 cent per game, so $5 for every dollar spent. Seems like too much work for a little reward...

[quote name='Stuffed']Sidenote: Anyone know how to get PS2 games to look decent on an HD TV? Would component cables do any good or should I just try to find an old fatty tube to play on?[/QUOTE]

I've heard that using a backwards compatible PS3 with "smoothing" enabled makes them look decent. Otherwise I would try the component cables. They're not common to find, but Kmart has PS3 component cables on clearance for $8. They should be compatible for the PS2.

[quote name='Stuffed']Sidenote: Anyone know how to get PS2 games to look decent on an HD TV? Would component cables do any good or should I just try to find an old fatty tube to play on?[/QUOTE]

I've been conducting many experiments here's what I've done so far.

50" Panasonic Plasma
1.) Composite - Terrible, drab and almost colorless. Blurry all around but most annoying with text.
2.) Component - Better, but JAGGIES galore, the jaggies are really noticeable.. Also, a tad bit more colorful. The text though makes a HUGE improvement.

30" Samsung CRT HDTV
1.) Composite - It's ok, but blurry, still an issue with text.
2.) S-Video - Slightly sharper, slightly brighter and better with text. But not a huge difference to be honest but using a terrible "all-in-one" s-video cable.. Still, I say for the text alone worth it.

Still need to test component with the CRT and S-Video on my plasma...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was kind of shocked to see that everything below the $9.99 threshold wasn't gutted and disc only at that closest GS the other night. That's about the only way I would buy the MAT game is if it's actually complete and in decent shape.[/QUOTE]

A few months ago, I called a GS about Haunting Ground. He said it was disc only and scratched, but he could buffer it.

Atleast 2 other GSs said GS doesn't buffer games.

Also, a GS told me $5.99 and up PS2 games come complete. Haunting Ground was listed at $16.99 or $17.99 whenever I was looking into buying it.

Lol.:roll:

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I'm confused on this... Are you trading the games into Bestbuy? If so.. as far as I can tell, all ps2 games trade in for .25 a pop. So with 100% bonus that would be .51 cent per game, so $5 for every dollar spent. Seems like too much work for a little reward...[/QUOTE]

$5 into $25, $25 into $125, $50 into $250.

So far, 1 GS supposedly was sending theirs somewhere, 1 doesn't sell them, and another had like 50 99¢ PS2 games. Sheesh. At least there's a bunch more to look into.

Not sure it this applies everywhere but I remember hearing a GS employee saying that all of their GC games at my district get shipped to a certain GS. That GS is where I found a bunch of complete ps2 games, so I'm guessing they do the same with the ps2 games. I hope the 10 for $1 is true.

Ended up going to a different Gamestop and getting these 15 games for $3.15:

Eternal Ring
Eyetoy AntiGrav
Eyetoy Groove
Eyetoy Play 2
Herdy Gerdy
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection
Portal Runner
Project Eden
Rebel Raiders: Operation Nighthawk
Scaler
Sky Odyssey
SOCOM: US Navy Seals
Space Channel 5 Special Edition (2 discs)
Taito Legends
Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

They also had Blood Will Tell for $5, but since it wasn't part of the promotion I didn't get it. And two copies of Gradius III and IV for $4. They also had Monster Rancher 3 for $7.

My previous haul was:

Ace Combat 04 Shattered Skies
ATV Offroad Fury 2
ChoroQ
City Crisis
Defender
Dropship
DT Racer
EOE: Eve of Extinction
Freekstyle
Frequency
Hidden Invasion
Hunter: The Reckoning - Wayward
Kengo: Master of Bushido
MDK 2 Armageddon
Naruto Ultimate Ninja

30 games for $6.00 isn't bad at all.

Any word on games that are more than a $1 getting more discounts? Or is the current rumor that it's just $1 titles?

GS' deals page confirms, 10-for-$1 starting today and running through the 7th, same as with the B2G2.

[quote name='iast']GS' deals page confirms, 10-for-$1 starting today and running through the 7th, same as with the B2G2.[/QUOTE]

im not seeing it

Damnit, it is live. Looks like I will make a trip to Gamestop to re-turn / re-buy my games and get more. =/

I've never actually returned games to Gamestop before to re-buy for a better deal. Are the associates a pain in the a$$ doing this? I can imagine they might be...

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Actually, 4 back.. I spent 8 and if I rebuy the games I already have it would be $4 for the 40 games.

And on the games, all of the ones I have picked up so far, not a single one has been a sports game. I asked them to print a list of all ps2 games in stock so I was able to easily find the ones I wanted. If I respend the $4 I might get back, I will probably get some sports games. But my second run through of the list hasn't been too many sports still.[/QUOTE]

argh my bad i misread your post.

no sports games?
hard to do! lol
the clocktower plaza store near me, thats all there is.
but living in queens i have about 15 stores nearby.

for sports i try to get the best companys game for each sport.

i cleared football, baseball and basketball.
next i will just get the best overall soccer and tennis game.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Damnit, it is live. Looks like I will make a trip to Gamestop to re-turn / re-buy my games and get more. =/

I've never actually returned games to Gamestop before to re-buy for a better deal. Are the associates a pain in the a$$ doing this? I can imagine they might be...[/QUOTE]

r they pains? well they DID let you buy those without telling you a better deal was on the way.

the girl that told me about it told me days ago. so they know.

do it.
i am.
:)

bread's done
Back